Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

I always have been wondering why so many Europeans, Americans and Canadians want to live in Thailand, I mean, they must to learn a very difficult language, learn a totally different culture, in a very distant country. I wonder why they don't choose any other country like some place in the Caribbean or in South America? I like Thailand, this country is nice, but the only one reason why I live here is because my wife happens to be Thai and she doesn't want to go to my place in Costa Rica( I am Cuban, Costa Rican and Spaniard), I would like to know your views, I know that Thai women are beautiful but so are women in Brazil , Colombia etc, so I would like to know why do you prefer Thailand above any other destination, especialy those who come to retire here, a country in which they don't speak the language and don't understand the culture.

I'll waiting for yours answers thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

there is a central America expat website which is inhabited by very similar people as TV ..lots of ripoffs and complaints a la Thailand it seems....guess main advantage for Americans is they can easily pop home for the weekend..coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

Exactly. Lots of Americans there. Those relatively few here I'm sure don't (want to) go home very often.

In my case my second home was Australia, and got into the Thai habit, started to learn the language on stopovers while I still had a farang honky wife (shudder).

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Yes, I meet very few retired North Americans, far more Brits and ANZ.

Personally I prefer Asian women to Latin, but I admit I'd probably do both if I had the dosh.

And Thailand is definitely safer, a honky living in Columbia's really asking for trouble, and even Rio's probably more dangerous than Pattaya 8-)

I guess that in Latinamerica violence is the main problem but fortunatelly we also have lots of Asians,(Japanese, Chinese and Thai), I like Thai women cuz they are the only ones in Asia with nice asses but they usually lack boobies crying.gif
  • Like 1

Well, I'm interested in Latin America but found a lot to like in Thailand.

I have checked out Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil, and Peru so far. I'm am still interested in checking out Ecuador and Panama.

As someone "retired early" under pension age the visa system is very convenient in Thailand.

It does have the total package of convenience and your point about language is totally reversed.

In Thailand, you most certainly do not need to learn Thai to function as an expat in the expat centers.

In Latin America, generally you most certainly DO need to learn Spanish or Portuguese to function long term. If not, then you need a translator quite a lot.

Americans in general are horrible at foreign languages, even "easier" ones like Spanish.

I have been to Costa Rica and sorry I found it boring, the capital city dangerous, and the food bland, greasy, and monotonous. I do like the people though but the country is just not enough of a draw and it is declining in attraction to expats (perception of expenses gone up).

(Peruvian food on the other hand, I think is among the most interesting in the world.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well, I'm interested in Latin America but found a lot to like in Thailand.

I have checked out Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil, and Peru so far. I'm am still interested in checking out Ecuador and Panama.

As someone "retired early" under pension age the visa system is very convenient in Thailand.

It does have the total package of convenience and your point about language is totally reversed.

In Thailand, you most certainly do not need to learn Thai to function as an expat in the expat centers.

In Latin America, generally you most certainly DO need to learn Spanish or Portuguese to function long term. If not, then you need a translator quite a lot.

Americans in general are horrible at foreign languages, even "easier" ones than Spanish.

I have been to Costa Rica and sorry I found it boring, the capital city dangerous, and the food bland, greasy, and monotonous. I do like the people though but the country is just not enough of a draw and it is declining in attraction to expats (perception of expenses gone up).

(Peruvian food on the other hand, I think is among the most interesting in the world.)

Agree, that Costa Rica can be boring.

In what way is the visa hassle convenient if you retired early ?

Go to a country abroad every 3rd month ?

or forced to study thai & get interrogated every 3rd month ?

Over 50. Thailand has about the easiest retirement visa system on the planet.

Most countries that do have programs require PENSIONS.

BTW, one thing that can drive people crazy about the visa systems in general in Latin America is they are bonkers about "legalizing" needed documents in your home country. Much more complicated than just using a notary. Generally, people NEED to hire lawyers and often spend thousands of dollars and take lots of time getting things done. I am only generalizing but I really hate that stuff.

Edited by Jingthing

I retired at the age of 33 IIRC, with a pension.

There is one country next door that has a convenient visa

for early retirees, unlike thailand.

That country is Cambodia

Yes, I totally agree with that about Cambodia easy visas! But for older people, Cambodia isn't there yet for medical services, etc.

In what way is the visa hassle convenient if you retired early ?

Go to a country abroad every 3rd month ?

or forced to study thai & get interrogated every 3rd month ?

Over 50. Thailand has about the easiest retirement visa system on the planet.

Most countries that do have programs require PENSIONS.

BTW, one thing that can drive people crazy about the visa systems in general in Latin America is they are bonkers about "legalizing" needed documents in your home country. Much more complicated than just using a notary. Generally, people NEED to hire lawyers and often spend thousands of dollars and take lots of time getting things done. I am only generalizing but I really hate that stuff.

Well respect to the visa stuff, in Costa Rica is very easy to handle, you don't need to use a lawyer, and in most of cases everything is done quickly and fast, another good point is that in Latinamerica we are not so protectionist regarding to allowing foreigners to work, or buying land , or a house, like here in Thailand, I think that the main problem is the language, but I think that for westerners spanish must be one of the easiest languages to learn.

No, Costa Rica is totally not an option for me, using the BANK ACCOUNT method in Thailand, no pension. Also, Costa Rica REQUIRES import of pension annually, also if income is not pension, they require IMPORT into CR annually an amount of 30K USD. Thailand requires no annual import at all.

For people with pensions, reasonable, that is IF you want to live there ... coffee1.gif

http://www.costarica.../residency.html

Edited by Jingthing

Semantics aside - merely ability to exist in country most of Asia has Thailand beat Jingthing.

Cambodia

Philippines

Malaysia

India

Vietnam

You can also come and go from Indonesia at will. Two months + one month extension. If you get hassled why Indo so often, just say you have a girlfriend and thinking to marry...

Even Singapore gives Westerners 90days.

Thailand is a chore

• Like 2

FIrst, I'll second the comment by dekestone. There are tons of Americans and Canadians that retire to Mexico, Central America, and South America. In many of those countries the cost of living is much lower and also it is much closer to home and easier to take trips back to visit the family. As far as safety in those countries, I think much will depend on exactly where you are living. I have met people retired in Mexico and they tell me that much of the country is OK and does not resemble the horrible news reports at all. I had a friend who spent time recently in Columbia and she did not feel particularly threatened. Of course, I'm sure you should follow some of the same common-sense rules that you would here or anywhere. Don't make it a habit of walking alone down dark and deserted alleys at 2AM, etc.

One big draw is the lower cost of living here in Thailand. Many of us are receiving some sort of pension or other type income that goes a lot further here in Thailand than it does back in the home country. Many receive pension or other income that is not enough to live decently in high-cost US and Canada. So they could work a job back there, or come to Thailand and, with it's low cost of living, have a decent life, no work, and time for yourself. Also, NO SNOW and ICE!

Some years ago I was going to fly down to Central America and poke around. I eas REALLY tired of Asia. It was changing fast (2005) and I wasnt liking it at all, the first years from 2000+ were bad enough. I was really looking for a new base and being from Kalifornia open to Latin America.

Flying out of east coast near my parents (my only reason to returnto usa) I found airfare about same price as flying to BKK. I was unable to buy a one year (or at least book it) ticket as well. Then I thought Id fly to Panama and bacpack up. That was one crazy expensive ticket, so then I looked at flying into CR, wasnt much better OW.

Then I just booked my ticket back to Asia, mylove and my home. Problem solved.

Edited by bangkokburning

Well of course there are plenty of Americans and Canadians in Latin America. In Cuenca Ecuador, which has become "hot" because of massive publicity in International Living, etc. the vast majority of foreign non-Latin American residents are American and Canadian. Ever visited Lake Chapala Mexico? OMG ... Gringo central (and so boring).

Edited by Jingthing

Why, easy...cheap hookers and easy availability of inexpensive long stay options in a relatively safe and comfy environment. But mainly its the girls.

Those are the chief, primary and almost exclusive reasons.

So true- lets not pretend otherwise. The weather also is a main reason for those from colder climates. Subservient women too, although ironcally most men become the ones wearing the skirts.

Sent from my hammock using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

These are Mexican-Americans, we are not like that, they don't look macho, they look gaywink.png

Well duh, its from "professional" wrestling. Hello?

What's the difference anyway. People are just people. Mexican Americans or Cuban Americans.

If you want Cuba without the old cars and communists go to Miami. There are a million Cubans living in Miami. Good Cuban food and entertainment and beautiful Cuban woman and topless beaches.

Why go to Cuba?