Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

Yes, I meet very few retired North Americans, far more Brits and ANZ.

Personally I prefer Asian women to Latin, but I admit I'd probably do both if I had the dosh.

And Thailand is definitely safer, a honky living in Columbia's really asking for trouble, and even Rio's probably more dangerous than Pattaya 8-)

I guess that in Latinamerica violence is the main problem but fortunatelly we also have lots of Asians,(Japanese, Chinese and Thai), I like Thai women cuz they are the only ones in Asia with nice asses but they usually lack boobies crying.gif

Indonesian women are hot similar look and have the "big boobies". Cheap to nip across there for a weekend!

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chiangmaikelly: ]Hahaha, I don't write flames just don't like arguing in vane, young women are not the same(different cultures, different life styles, different races etc); women usually like older men( 2-6 years older the she) not old man, when women in dominica, costarica, cuba, spain, or thailand get involve with old guys usally the reason is money wink.png ur house may be 90 mins from cuba, but from your posts, I can see that your undestanding of that enviroment is quite poor, but as I told ya, me don't lik arguin'thumbsup.gif

PS: when I say home I don't only mean Cuba, bsides Cuba I have another two homes: Barcelona y San Jose de Costa Rica wink.png

Edited by Om85

@Chiangmaikelly: ]Hahaha, I don't write flames just don't like arguing in vane, young women are not the same(different cultures, different life styles, different races etc); women usually like older men( 2-6 years older the she) not old man, when women in dominica, costarica, cuba, spain, or thailand get involve with old guys usally the reason is money wink.png ur house may be 90 mins from cuba, but from your posts, I can see that your undestanding of that enviroment is quite poor, but as I told ya, me don't lik arguin'thumbsup.gif

PS: when I say home I don't only mean Cuba, bsides Cuba I have another two homes: Barcelona y San Jose de Costa Rica wink.png

I think what you mean is you don't like debate. Anyone who questions your opinion is declared to be wrong and not know as much about the subject as you.smile.png Cuba is a third world country and famous for available young women; so is Thailand. In that respect the women are the same. The major difference that I can see is in Cuba the women want to come to the US and in Thailand they don't. Reference one million Cubans born in Cuba now live in the US. Since the women are the same it is obvious we both came to Thailand for the food and temples.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

just for starters

potatoes 65-75 cents a pound

USDA Choice Top Round beef (who the hell even buys that?) maximum $5/lb

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

Jasmine Rice Imported from Thailand 68 cents a pound

5lb flour $1.75

i don't pay that much attention to food prices. i just pulled these prices off walmart. i could tell just looking at the list that it was BS.

the whole Thailand cost vs USA cost has been done to death. Try the search function.

in your list everything except the eggs, sugar and the rice are western products, and the price of sugar and rice fluctuate a lot.

nobody can seriously expect US prime beef, flour and potatoes to be cheap in Thailand.

comparing prices is not too easy, and can only rarely be done by just taking two identical products, as it is possible for the eggs (which size are the eggs?).

things that are comparable are:

- a tasty meal at a food place (in Thailand this can be Kao Man Gai, in the US ???)

- electric Kwh

- a 5 Km taxi trip

- a bottle of water in the 7-11

to come back to the prices, I received today a flyer from Makro in my mailbox.

White rice: 19 baht /Kg = 0.63 USD /Kg

Potatoes: 29 baht /Kg = 0.94 USD /Kg

I think what you mean is you don't like debate. Anyone who questions your opinion is declared to be wrong and not know as much about the subject as you.smile.png Cuba is a third world country and famous for available young women; so is Thailand. In that respect the women are the same. The major difference that I can see is in Cuba the women want to come to the US and in Thailand they don't. Reference one million Cubans born in Cuba now live in the US. Since the women are the same it is obvious we both came to Thailand for the food and temples.

I debate with people who know, but with people who just don't know what they are talking about, no need of waisting time withwai2.gif
  • Like 1

If the West collapses, there will be NO market for Asian goods, and it will still be every man for himself, or in his case every country for itself. In order to stay in power, governments have to feed their people, and here comes China and India.

In a true collapse the fear is not being able to sell your food, It is having any food for your country.

In that case Thailand would do very well.

Not to mention what you said about transporting food to those 1st world countries or the lack there of.

Also in a true collapse of a 1st world country you have folks who have never had to grow their

own food or cook it in many cases. Folks that do not have their own water supply.

They cannot function in buildings without electricity etc.They do not know how to survive.

Countries that are consider 3rd world or developing? Just another day for them

not much adjustment needed.

If a true collapse were to occur would you rather be where the food is & folks know how to camp?

Or in NY?

China? They have been buying farm-able land in many places for years.

This was not the argument. The argument was whether some super wealthy investor should count on having farmland as a foreigner in LOS because he sees an international economic meltdown.

I say no.

I debate with people who know, but with people who just don't know what they are talking about, no need of waisting time withwai2.gif

You're just obtuse

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Try writing about the topic instead of my qualifications to discuss it.

Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members.

Try talking about the topic instead of flaming me and my opinions. Agree or disagree with me. OK. Fine. But why just flame?

You told me I don't know. OK what don't I know? Be specific. We may all learn something. Talk about ideas instead of personalities. Write about what I said rather than who you think I am. smile.png

You wrote, " I don't know what I am talking about." OK. What was that? What did I write and why am I wrong?

Ur problem is that u urself can see what is wrong with ur posts, I didn't come here to debate, I just asked a question to know the reason why people come here, I have not attacked u, I've a live, a job. a wife and a litle child to take care of, so I don't have time to respond to every post, sorry if u take this personaly, that was not my intentionsmile.png Edited by Om85

This was not the argument. The argument was whether some super wealthy investor should count on having farmland as a foreigner in LOS because he sees an international economic meltdown.

I say no.

Sorry did not read the whole thing

You could be right depending on the size of collapse & attitudes.

Then again when things go bad if Farber is as smart as he claims, he

will have enough of what form is deemed usable money at that time & would probably do all right.

Even in a international economic meltdown something would be deemed safe as money.

Whether that will be a currency that survived or a trade-able item who knows

Perhaps same for anyone that has been in their country of choice for a decent amount of time & has

family ties?

Hopefully none of us will have to find out :)

US Price Quail Eggs 16 Dozen (192 eggs)

$64.00 Thailand 16 Dozen 130 baht farm fresh. US $4.30

For me it's the quail eggs.

Cost of Goods in Thailand VS USA

this is almost total BS. sorry. obviously the clowns on sunbelt want as many people as possible to move to Thailand.

Like comparing a few essential food items + gasoline is going to convince one that Thailand is cheaper than the USA. The main things that are cheaper in Thailand compared to the USA are food items. But...it's far more complicated than that. It is entirely possible to spend as much, if not more for a meal in Thailand than in the USA, depending on where you eat or what you purchase.

If we compare prices on a few more items here's what I can come up with:

Cost of renting a small apartment...cheaper in Thailand BUT there is no equivalent to a 1-room shack with no kitchen in the USA. Unless you count some cheap hotel of course.

Cost of public transport: cheaper in Thailand BUT public transport is not a strong point in the USA.

Cost of buying a car: definately cheaper in the USA, often much cheaper. Even locally manufactured Corolla's are much more expensive in Thailand than in the USA.

Cost of imported food products: usually significantly cheaper in the USA.

Cost of brand name manufactured products, including everything from electronics such as iPhones to Billabong t-shirts always MUCH CHEAPER in the USA than in Thailand. Also, there is more variety to choose from in the USA in everything from food to clothing to electronics, just more variety over there than here in Thailand.

In short: Thailand is cheap if you stick to a local diet of noodles or rice, served in small serving sizes; if you catch the bus or skytrain for local transport rather than drive (or if you must drive, you choose a small scooter rather than a car or a chopper); if you stick to mostly buses or trains for long-distance transport including to neighboring countries; if you live in an outlying district of Bangkok or an upcountry city in a small 1 room apartment rather than a mansion, or a house in a housing estate, also located in an outlying district or city and you lead the kind of lifestyle most locals follow.

Thailand isn't particularly cheap for quality goods, but the housing market is more affordable than any major European city. What sets Thailand apart and what most won't admit, is that people are cheap. It's cheap to pay someone to wash your clothes, drive you somewhere or massage you, precisely because it's cheap to exist at the minimum. That removes a lot of everyday hassle which can then be spent more productively working on one's business or wasted wallowing in filth as to your own preference.

I am far beyond thinking of Thailand long term. I was looking for other places to base my next few years. Priorities were cheap, low taxes, good food, attractive and available women and opportunities for travelling.

I considered the Baltic, Southern Spain and Central/South America, but in the end I feel it would be easier to relocate to Thailand as I already know the country. In the long run, I'm going for Southern California, Spain or maybe Italy.

Thailand certainly doesn't offer enough to keep me here, but it's allright for partying, travelling and having lots of sex with attractive women whether paid for or not. And last but not least, the amount of eurotrash in Thailand is staggering. You can tell, when they post non-sensical, poorly phrased bs on Thaivisa in drunken stupors.

No thanks.

Ur problem is that u urself can see what is wrong with ur posts, I didn't come here to debate, I just asked a question to know the reason why people come here, I have not attacked u, I've a live, a job. a wife and a litle child to take care of, so I don't have time to respond to every post, sorry if u take this personaly, that was not my intention

Well if that was your real intention then I think you've received your answer long ago.

A few claim it's the food temples culture etc.

Most admit it's the girls, and the greater safety of the environment compared to the alternative locations offering a similar bounty of beauty at low cost.

Marc Faber Explains Why He Likes Living In Thailand (CLIP ...

Marc Farber is a rich guy who lives in Chiang Mai. smile.png

You can find one extremist anywhere. The guy is rich, but he's a weirdo. Let him do whatever floats his boat. Right now things are going very well for him but he hasn't tried to maintain it in a global meltdown.

If he thinks a collapse in Western countries won't cause a collapse in LOS, he's dreaming. Who's going to buy farm products with no money? Who's going to buy and transport them if there's a total collapse? Does he not know that China or India would overrun LOS to get at the rice and other crops if they were starving? Where does he run to then?

If the West collapses, there will be NO market for Asian goods, and it will still be every man for himself, or in his case every country for itself. In order to stay in power, governments have to feed their people, and here comes China and India.

IMHO he'd do better to stay in the US which at least has a bigger military than all of the rest of the world combined, and has some chance of surviving and protecting itself. There are places in the US, and I happen to be in one, where it is believed to be as safe as possible from nuclear strike or fallout. Rural so as to be of no strategic interest and close to the W. Coast so that the prevailing winds come from the ocean, not from any cities.

There is no sure thing in this world except that some day we die.

Faber, rose to prominence after predicting the stock market crash of 1987. Farber is hardly an extremest.

He studied Economics at the University of Zurich and, at the age of 24, obtained a Ph.D. degree in Economics magna cum laude.

During the 1970s Faber worked for White Weld & Company Limited in New York City, Zürich, and Hong Kong. He moved to Hong Kong in 1973. He was a managing director at Drexel Burnham Lambert Ltd Hong Kong.

If you are moving to Thailand and not a troll why wouldn't you be happy about his positive views on Chiang Mai and Thailand?

I would doubt any westener that holds positive views on C M. It's a cruddy little town with broken infrastructure, no town planning, impossible traffic and all the usual problems of Thailand ( you know what I mean? ).

Just trying to find public transport that isn't demanding extortionate fare after 10pm saps my will to live.

Ur problem is that u urself can see what is wrong with ur posts, I didn't come here to debate, I just asked a question to know the reason why people come here, I have not attacked u, I've a live, a job. a wife and a litle child to take care of, so I don't have time to respond to every post, sorry if u take this personaly, that was not my intention

Well if that was your real intention then I think you've received your answer long ago.

A few claim it's the food temples culture etc.

Most admit it's the girls, and the greater safety of the environment compared to the alternative locations offering a similar bounty of beauty at low cost.

<A few claim it's the food temples culture etc>

The biggest BS line by any male with hormones that has visited LOS.

Marc Faber Explains Why He Likes Living In Thailand (CLIP ...

Marc Farber is a rich guy who lives in Chiang Mai. smile.png

You can find one extremist anywhere. The guy is rich, but he's a weirdo. Let him do whatever floats his boat. Right now things are going very well for him but he hasn't tried to maintain it in a global meltdown.

If he thinks a collapse in Western countries won't cause a collapse in LOS, he's dreaming. Who's going to buy farm products with no money? Who's going to buy and transport them if there's a total collapse? Does he not know that China or India would overrun LOS to get at the rice and other crops if they were starving? Where does he run to then?

IMHO he'd do better to stay in the US which at least has a bigger military than all of the rest of the world combined, and has some chance of surviving and protecting itself. There are places in the US, and I happen to be in one, where it is believed to be as safe as possible from nuclear strike or fallout. Rural so as to be of no strategic interest and close to the W. Coast so that the prevailing winds come from the ocean, not from any cities.

Faber, rose to prominence after predicting the stock market crash of 1987. Farber is hardly an extremest.

He studied Economics at the University of Zurich and, at the age of 24, obtained a Ph.D. degree in Economics magna cum laude.

During the 1970s Faber worked for White Weld & Company Limited in New York City, Zürich, and Hong Kong. He moved to Hong Kong in 1973. He was a managing director at Drexel Burnham Lambert Ltd Hong Kong.

If you are moving to Thailand and not a troll why wouldn't you be happy about his positive views on Chiang Mai and Thailand?

I would doubt any westener that holds positive views on C M. It's a cruddy little town with broken infrastructure, no town planning, impossible traffic and all the usual problems of Thailand ( you know what I mean? ).

Just trying to find public transport that isn't demanding extortionate fare after 10pm saps my will to live.

How long did you live in Chiang Mai?

Why would he want to live somewhere like that?

I love CM myself, but it's true you need a car to live well there.

In many cases (true long-term expats that aren't poor) the lower cost of quality housing pays for it pretty well.

And of course you have to like the quiet life compared to beach resorts and BKK.

But compared to true upcountry living it's a bustling metropolis.

Horses for courses. . .

• Like 1

See it is not difficult getting around in CM. If he lived there and didn't know how to get around that is a whole different problem.

In many cases (true long-term expats that aren't poor) the lower cost of quality housing pays for it pretty well.

And of course you have to like the quiet life compared to beach resorts and BKK.

Horses for courses. . .

Air quality leaves something to be desired, however.

Horses for courses. . .

Air quality leaves something to be desired, however.

Bangkok is bad every day; Chiang Mai only a couple of months a year. coffee1.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Not exactly. Bangkok doesn't have the agricultural burning issues that CM has. People with respiratory issues should really be warned off residence there.

Bangkok and Samut Prakan's vehicular/industrial sourced pollutants are far more harmful to health long-term than what you get in the countryside, and 365 days per year as opposed to 15-30 say does make a difference too.

If you don't need to be at the center of business and nightlife, CM's a far higher quality of life IMO.

I live not far away, but I visit it sometimes as there are no Home Pros, movie theatres or Top's supermarket ( for western delicacies ) where I am.

The traffic around the moat also saps my will to live. It's just as bad as it was 15 years ago, as the city council seems reluctant to install more than the two pedestrian crossing lights that I've seen.

I could list a page full of the things I don't like about C M, but what would be the point?

Post modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

True. I wouldn't.

I'd rather live in Pattaya. It has many of the same problems, but at least it's got a decent nightlife and lots of drop dead gorgeous women, plus it's by the sea, which is nice just over the hill in Jomptien.

Unfortunately I had to choose between my wife and Pattaya, and Pattaya lost. However, at least I can cross the road here without risking getting maimed.

I live not far away, but I visit it sometimes as there are no Home Pros, movie theatres or Top's supermarket ( for western delicacies ) where I am.

The traffic around the moat also saps my will to live. It's just as bad as it was 15 years ago, as the city council seems reluctant to install more than the two pedestrian crossing lights that I've seen.

I could list a page full of the things I don't like about C M, but what would be the point?

I thought the post was about public transport. If that is the case what was the point of your post?

See it is not difficult getting around in CM. If he lived there and didn't know how to get around that is a whole different problem.

I can get around OK during the day, though I usually have to flag away a few red songtheaws before getting one that doesn't want to overcharge me. However, try getting something after the late movies for 20 baht- impossible. In Pattaya, I could get around at 2am for 10 baht. Is there even anything open in C M at 2 am, LOL?

I thought the post was about public transport. If that is the case what was the point of your post?

Transport was just a part of the reason why I don't like C M. However, we seem to be getting off topic, sorry OP, so I'll wait till a more suitable thread comes along.

True. I wouldn't.

I'd rather live in Pattaya. It has many of the same problems, but at least it's got a decent nightlife and lots of drop dead gorgeous women [sC: My bold], plus it's by the sea, which is nice just over the hill in Jomptien.

Unfortunately I had to choose between my wife and Pattaya, and Pattaya lost. However, at least I can cross the road here without risking getting maimed.

I hope you've moved somewhere handy for an optician's

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'd rather live in Pattaya. It has many of the same problems, but at least it's got a decent nightlife and lots of drop dead gorgeous women

I hope you've moved somewhere handy for an optician's

Actually he's right, it might only be .001 % but that's still lots compared to more average places.

Agree it doesn't compare to the babe-density factor of say Siam Paragon. . .

I can't believe i just read "decent nightlife in Pattaya"

decent ?

decent ??

decent?!!

decent compared to what ?

where in Buddhas name is nightlife better than decent then ?

(apart from the misery of traffic jam to actually get to the nightlife of course)