Issuance Of New Bike Plates

jonnyscot

Firstly appologies if this topic has already been addressed, checked back a bit and couldn't see anything recent,,,

Just wondering whether there's truth in being told theres still a huge backlog in the issuance of new licence plates for new bikes,, this is the story coming from the dealer in Suphanburo Province where I bought my PCX150 back in June,, at the time of purchase we were told there was a delay caused by the govt supplier and the plates would be ready at the beginning of August,, now, 6 months later and still nothing,,, we've now been told they will be ready at the end of the year,, ok they have given us a document stating the number on the plates when they arrive, just to cover our ass if the BIB stop us,,

but just find it hard to believe that every bike of 6 months and less are currently running around with no plates displayed,, I'm wondering whether it's a regional problem rather than a national problem,, ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks for the update marstons, just getting a bit pissed calling the dealer every now and then to find out,, so it looks like its a nationwide thing,

I can imagine it'd not make things any easier trying to trace any of those bikes if they were stolen, then again I don't think the current recovery rate for stolen bikes would be too healthy anyway.

It is not just for motorbikes but cars also seem a problem.

I changed my car registration from Chonburi to Buriram province and while I was given the tax disc for the new number and a piece of paper stating the new car ref No. told to go back in 3 months (if lucky) to get new plates.

Meanwhile driving on the old plates.

In the DOT office there were many boxes of new plates waiting to be issued.

Meanwhile so many motorbikes without No's which is scary.

Cheers Chris, ok going by your wait Of around 7 months I suppose won't have to wait around too much longer,, wasn't aware it was the same delay for car plates too,,

came close to biting the bullet and change out the Vigo a couple of times this year as she's now 3 years old, but went for another bike since we use the bikes much more than we use the car,

I bought my bike used from a guy in Korat. I'm still running on Korat plates here in Pattaya, but I've changed the green book in to my name and transfered the bikes "home" province to Chonburi.

I have been stopped by the police but its never been a problem, I just show them copies of the documents transfereing the bike to me and I'm on my way. The cops are fully aware of the problem, so you should be fine :)

Chok dee krab!

I bought my bike used from a guy in Korat. I'm still running on Korat plates here in Pattaya, but I've changed the green book in to my name and transfered the bikes "home" province to Chonburi.

I have been stopped by the police but its never been a problem, I just show them copies of the documents transfereing the bike to me and I'm on my way. The cops are fully aware of the problem, so you should be fine smile.png

Chok dee krab!

Just did the HOG transfer from another province to Phitsanulok and was told 2 weeks for new plates with special No.

I have been stopped by the police but its never been a problem, I just show them copies of the documents transfereing the bike to me and I'm on my way. The cops are fully aware of the problem, so you should be fine smile.png

Chok dee krab!

Just did the HOG transfer from another province to Phitsanulok and was told 2 weeks for new plates with special No.

You have been told a lie or a porky hog!

No plates until next year. Just got plates for a bike that I bought in Surat Thanee. Only took 9 months.

Bought in Surat changed to CM. Custom Plates or any number it was the same

Anyway What Harley are we talking about? It matters only how much you want to pay for custom plates maybe you will have them in 2 weeks.

Chok dee krab!

No plates until next year. Just got plates for a bike that I bought in Surat Thanee. Only took 9 months.

Anyway What Harley are we talking about? It matters only how much you want to pay for custom plates maybe you will have them in 2 weeks.

Didn't pay anything for special no. Fat Boy Total cost 2,530bht all on the receipt

I reregistered my Virago from Bangkok to Khampaeng Phet in September and was told early next year. I sold it last month to a guy in Phitsanulok with the new number and the old plate. He got it transferred to his name and presumeably a new number though I have no idea about the plate.

Chok dee krab!

hello.

how did you transfer the bike home from one province to another ?

Chok dee krab!

hello.

how did you transfer the bike home from one province to another ?

For me when I bought my Virago in BKK I rode it back up to Khampaeng Phet province and when I sold it to my mate I took it over on my pickup truck so I could come home again.

I am the bloke Bill sold the Virago to, changed the book and got the plate with the same number as the book on the same day. Cheers for delivering it Bill, shame you couldn't stay the Roast Lamb and the company was very good.

Not sure about that PN, Bill went to the Land and Transport office in Khampaeng Phet and got the paperwork started there. I had the bike delivered to a workshop as it wasn't running and they did the transfer the next day for me as they have good contacts there. If you get the people you are buying the bike from to start the ball rolling in CM and then present it to the Chonburi office with all of your paperwork, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by aitch52

So lets say i buy a bike in chiang mai,

but i live in pattaya, and pattaya is where i want to pay tax etc.

Where do i have the book switched ?

do i go to CM tax place and tell them to make a book for pattaya ?

1. In CM you can transfer only the book into your name, but still with CM plates.

2. If you want to transfer the bike/book from CM to "Pattaya" plates, you have to go to the DLT Chonburi.

• 2 weeks later...

Chok dee krab!

Just picked up new plate and book with new reg. sticker. Old book just new page with new owner. Total cost 2,230bht with special no.plate. Gave the clerk a basket with Brands essecnce of chicken 400bht. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My bike was registered in Korat, so it cost me 25 baht to transfer the bikes "home" to Chonburi.

Three days later I then paid 390 baht to transfer the green book in to my name, new tax sticker and number plate. Did my self, no agent.

I called Chonburi DLT and as of Novemeber 30, no plate. Waiting since Sep 14 sad.png

Edited by Lancelot

Called up the dealer on saturday, still no sign of the plates, they told me the end of the year,,, I checked with them just to be sure they're talking about the end of THIS year..

Jeez,, that's around 7 months now

Jonny