Bank Account For Extension

I went for my visa extension. I had all my paperwork in order, but was refused because my bank account was a joint account with my wife. I had way over the required 400,000 baht and explained that I added my wife's name to the account so that should I die, she would have no problem having access to the money.

They told me I had to open an account with 400,000 baht in my name only. This would be ok with me, but my question is: If I do die, and I expect I will some day, would my wife have a problem getting the money from that account? And what about those on a retirement visa, where does thier 800,000 baht go when they die?

I agree :o but yep, that's the rules. I was told you have to ad the double amount if you insist in using a joint account. No idea why, can't see any logical explanation.

We're all going to die one day. Make a will and/or move the money into your joint account once you have your visa. It doesn't say anywhere the money has to remain in the account at all times.

Some people live off the money or invest it until next year when they take a new lump sum into the country. Others give it back to whoever lent it to them for the purpose. There are plenty of opportunities.

Edited by madsere

I went for my visa extension. ... They told me I had to open an account with 400,000 baht in my name only.
Which Immigration Office was this?

Lopburi and everybody always posted that a joint account with 400K was acceptable for an extension for supporting Thai wife. Did somebody at that office not like your face?

Let’s hear it from those with the same type of extension: is your bank account in your name alone, or is it a joint account with your wife? I wish I knew how to set up a poll; will somebody else do it, please?

---------------

Maestro

Tatom: You should think so but I've never heard of any such thing.

Maestro: they (Pattaya Immigration) told me the same (400,000 got to be in own name, double amount if you insist in joint account.) Same old story, every office run by their own rules. (Edit: Perhaps that was under the old 200k rule?)

Edited by madsere

Perhaps that was under the old 200k rule?)
No, even a post of Lopuri’s as recently as two or three days ago, other posts in the last few months.

---------------

Maestro

For retirement extension my last two showed Bank account in joint names, no questions, no problems.

Unless there has been a very recent change a joint account for those married is acceptable and indeed is what I have always used here in Bangkok. Although I normally have excess funds it is never double the amount and it has never been questioned.

I can understand how an officer could say that under the joint property laws of Thailand; but I also believe it would be wrong to do so and make more problems for everyone. I sincerely hope that it is not the case. You indeed want your wife to have access in the event of an emergency and you should not be penalized for doing so.

Again, would like to know the office used. And if those using Bangkok have had such instructions.

OK, Here's the latest. I went to see my banker and explained the problem. He said he has written many letters of guarantee on joint accounts, so he called Nong Khai immigration. They told him the regulation has changed as of this year and it must be a single account. True or not, I wont get anywhere argueing with them. So, I opened an account in my name only. As a matter of fact, there was a guy in the bank at the same time getting a letter of guarantee for 800,000 baht, who told me immigration wouldn't accept a joint account.

I've been researching the law a bit and the inheretance laws are somewhat screwey, but it seems my wife should get my money when I die. A will is recomended as it will make the process much easier.

I would also like to point out that the people at Nong Khai immigration go by the book, but are very friendly, courtious, and helpful. One woman even came over to me and appologized for the long wait

And to Rainman: I expect to die because everyone does as far as I know and I'm 8 years older than my wife. Given my past behavior, I'm surprized I'm still alive now! Also, I believe in the sayings, better to be safe than sorry and be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have problems at Nong Kai, change immigration - I did, going to Bangkok for my extension, and no problem like a had at NK.

Just want to revisit this one more time. I am applying fro my first extension to 90 non-imm 'o', married to Thai woman who has good job, & I am 47. I nearly freaked when I saw that the bank account has to be single name and that that requirement is new this year. Our account is joint.

2 questions :

Is this one of those Thai law changes that about to sneak up on us??? If so, it is perfect timing (sic) to upset all of my prep for this week's visit to Suan Phlu .....

One other question, since this is my first extension & I have 400,000 baht in the account, do I need to wire in another 400,000 and get a letter?? The existing balance is from our wedding gifts and my deposit last December.

Seeking info .... Thanks. Since my first post 2 years ago, I finally made it here, married in 11/2005, and looking for work. :o

Take care,

ragtime3

I would go with what you have. I believe any new regulation "this year" would have resulted in many more reports. If they do not accept it they probably can provide you a short extension to get things in order. And please do post back. Good luck.

...applying fro my first extension to 90 non-imm 'o', married to Thai woman ...bank account has to be single name and that that requirement is new this year.

Is this one of those Thai law changes that about to sneak up on us?

The requirement about proof of financial means is not in the law, nor – I believe – in a Ministerial Regulation, but in a directive of the Director General of the Police Department, but this distinction does of course not make any difference to those affected by a change in such requirement.

The only real difference is that laws and Ministerial Regulations are published in the Government Gazette, directives are not.

--------------

Maestro

I would go with what you have. I believe any new regulation "this year" would have resulted in many more reports. If they do not accept it they probably can provide you a short extension to get things in order. And please do post back. Good luck.

Thanks Lopburi3. I will post back after my "experience".

BTW, any comments about my second question about the need to wire money in for the first extension even if I already have 400 k baht (all be it that the balance cannot be confirmed by a bank-letter as coming from outside Thailand)? The existing balance is from our wedding gifts and my cash deposit last December.

Maestro, thanks for the info. wow those "police directives" can really bite one in the rear .....

Thanks again.

Ragtime3

Source of funds should be from overseas until you have employment here but this is a first application and with the stars on your side and good vibes all around I would still say go with what you have and be prepared to answer questions when asked. In the past they have been able to accept less on a first application then later.

There is no requirement that you KEEP money in the account, only that you have the necessary amount when you apply for your visa extension.

A friend of mine went to renew his visa and took his lawyer with him (they had other business at the same time.) He didn't have enough money in the bank or cash to bring the balance up. Luckily for him, the lawyer was an old friend so they went to the bank together. The lawyer drew out enough from his account and deposited it in my friend's. My friend then got the letter from the bank and made a copy of his passbook. Then, they went to a teller and transferred the money bank to the lawyer's account. He had no problem with immigration.

As promised, I am reporting back that Immigration at Suan Phlu Bangkok did NOT question the fact that the savings account is held jointly in my and my wife's names, as it should be IMHO (we elected not to change her Thai name when we got married [haha but she still had to go through the name change hassle anyway to change all of her id's from 'Miss' to 'Mrs.']). So apparently the originator of this post had some unusual who knows what ....

So I got my first extension (40 days) to my Non-Imm 'O' (I went today 2/27, my visa was to expire March 2, now have to report back April 7, and final answer is guaranteed (?) by May 28). No one here mentioned that I would be quizzed to the point of having to have my wife's car's license plate memorized (I got enough of the letters/numbers correct but not all), but I correctly answered all of the other "interview" questions.

I have to say, it was easier to deal with immigration than get the bank "letter" confirming my wire transfer of 440,000 baht from outside Thailand. My goodness, you would think that that [unnamed] bank (a large bank and I was at the headquarters main office) had never had a farang ask for an immigration letter before. It took 8 employees and 4 phone calls and 1 hour 10 minutes to argue about what to do and then 15 minutes to type the letter. After one guy got the process worked out and instructed his subordinate what to do, that sub refused to do what was required. Over and over .... The hardest part was explaining that the letter had to refer to the amount of the wire transfer from outside Thailand - all employees insisted that the letter refer to the account balance which would have been wrong. That bank needs to get the Immigration policy defined and put it in their procedures book .....

Just a note of warning, there were several signs up (only in Thai) that March 10, the penalty fine for overstay goes up to 500 baht per day (from 200).

Thanks ......

ragtime3

I have been 4 times now for my Thai (wife) support visa at Suan Phlu and each time the bank account has been in joint names. A couple of times I have not had the 400,000 baht in my account but as I have a couple of pensions with confirmation from the UK embassy (1900 baht thank you very much) I have had no problems.

Saying that, one time I forgot to get a re-entry permit and screwed it up and Suan Phlu explained that I had to leave the country to bet another visa (another story0 but that was nothing compared to what my wife said that I could understand and probably a lot more I couldn't understand.

My wife still has not changed her details from Miss to Mrs even though she has kept her own name and nobody has asked about the car registration number.

I use either the Bangkok bank where one pension is paid into to write a letter (it takes about 10 minutes) or the Kasikorn bank in the village where it took nearly a hour as I was the first farang to ask them to write one. This year will be easier as they only have to pull the original and change the dates and amounts.

As promised, I am reporting back that Immigration at Suan Phlu Bangkok did NOT question the fact that the savings account is held jointly in my and my wife's names, as it should be IMHO (we elected not to change her Thai name when we got married [haha but she still had to go through the name change hassle anyway to change all of her id's from 'Miss' to 'Mrs.']). So apparently the originator of this post had some unusual who knows what ....

So I got my first extension (40 days) to my Non-Imm 'O' (I went today 2/27, my visa was to expire March 2, now have to report back April 7, and final answer is guaranteed (?) by May 28). No one here mentioned that I would be quizzed to the point of having to have my wife's car's license plate memorized (I got enough of the letters/numbers correct but not all), but I correctly answered all of the other "interview" questions.

I have to say, it was easier to deal with immigration than get the bank "letter" confirming my wire transfer of 440,000 baht from outside Thailand. My goodness, you would think that that [unnamed] bank (a large bank and I was at the headquarters main office) had never had a farang ask for an immigration letter before. It took 8 employees and 4 phone calls and 1 hour 10 minutes to argue about what to do and then 15 minutes to type the letter. After one guy got the process worked out and instructed his subordinate what to do, that sub refused to do what was required. Over and over .... The hardest part was explaining that the letter had to refer to the amount of the wire transfer from outside Thailand - all employees insisted that the letter refer to the account balance which would have been wrong. That bank needs to get the Immigration policy defined and put it in their procedures book .....

Just a note of warning, there were several signs up (only in Thai) that March 10, the penalty fine for overstay goes up to 500 baht per day (from 200).

Thanks ......

ragtime3

The bank letter, in the past, has only had to list the account balance. That is why they were confused I am sure. Nong Khai seems to have told someone it must include other data but have not heard of that being required elsewhere. Did immigration tell you the transfers had to be on this letter? Normally, if they want to check that they either look at your passbook or ask you to obtain copies of the transfer slips. It has not been part of the boilerplate letter. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
I went for my visa extension. I had all my paperwork in order, but was refused because my bank account was a joint account with my wife. I had way over the required 400,000 baht and explained that I added my wife's name to the account so that should I die, she would have no problem having access to the money.

They told me I had to open an account with 400,000 baht in my name only.

This is not true. I have a bank account in double name my wife and me , I reneval my visa for 3 times and there were not any problems at all.

I suggest you to go back to immigration with your lawyer.

This would be ok with me, but my question is: If I do die, and I expect I will some day, would my wife have a problem getting the money from that account? And what about those on a retirement visa, where does thier 800,000 baht go when they die?