Leaving Thailand After 17 Years - Crazy?

cyberholz

Don't shoot the messenger, am only asking!

Think I've seen it after many, maybe too many years in Bangkok.

We have a nice place in Hua Hin to escape the city, but all the usual complaints, just to mention the heat, the usual pollution, an international school's environment, potential further political mayhem, and so forth... I know, am exaggerating, but really longing for good old Europe, it's seasons, culture, food.

Right, you get even better European food over here and life here is so much cheaper, better, sunnier. You'll regret moving back in no time... That's what everyone is telling me.

Did anyone hear of happy returnees? I mean one wouldn't sell everything here, so the door remains always open to come back.

My friends are warning me: don't! You'll hate it!

Would have a reasonably good job on offer in a nice area, an area people mainly travel to for holidaying with lots of fresh air, nature, outdoor activities...

Just can't imagine to spend the rest of my life in Thailand. Maybe in 20 years or so, but now? Couldn't it be time to move on?

I pretty much know what I gonna do, but looking forward to get some more input here -- appreciate!

Edited by cyberholz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I left a few months ago and I don't regret it one bit . Earning real money and not having to put up with all the crap that used to piss me off in Thailand. Don't miss it at all . Went back for a holiday to finalise some things and it was a nice holiday and that's the way I want to keep it . I'll probably retire there but to live there right now at this time in my life . Depends how old you are but a lot of people seem to waste the best years of their life there and then one day they wake up at fifty and realise their future is non-existent . IMO you should retire there or go there very young . Between 28-50 , go somewhere else and get a career and money . You can always go back for holidays or retire there in a comfortable position when you're older . Thailand's okay but it's not as great as some people make out .Yes you can have a nice life there but you can do that in many other places too .

You seem to mention money a lot. Is that your only concern. I ask cos met oooooodles of folk who are transfixed by money and nothing else. sad.png

After 10 years in TH, I do understand the OP and think I'll follow his path sometime. You named it: seasons, culture... wine, cheese (you didn't?)

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine in his 40's told me: "after 15 years in Asia, I've had enough". He bought a property in the South of France and moved there with his family, starting a new business there. Even if his businesses were doing ok here, he was fed up with the local ways (little daily tricks, corruption..). Seems like he's happy there now.

But I also agree that giving it a try first may sound wise, making a final decision a couple of years later. If the situation allows for it.

OP: You have not mentioned if you're in a relationship or have children. if you do what are they saying, do they support the the idea of moving to a western country?

Wife and son. Son could join an excellent school. They're both enthusiastic. I'm the one hesitating. Not easy to move a life!

Wife and son. Son could join an excellent school. They're both enthusiastic. I'm the one hesitating. Not easy to move a life!

No it is not easy but it is an adventure.

You should be where you want to be. Or in your case

where you & your family want to be.

Life is short but it is long enough to have many adventures.

You need not be stationary

If you move back & decide later you actually prefer here or elsewhere you can move again.

Not easy but that you have options is a great thing in itself

Good Luck to you & yours.

Edited by mania

There is the old saying. "You never know what you had until its gone" so maybe its time for a new chapter for you, go enjoy, try something new, you'll know soon enough if you miss Thailand or not.

I get fed up, pissed off, frustrated etc here, I enjoy an escape back to Europe, thoroughly enjoy it, familiar surroundings food seasons etc, great for a break BUT its nice to head back to Thailand at the end of it.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

OP: You have not mentioned if you're in a relationship or have children. if you do what are they saying, do they support the the idea of moving to a western country?

You should do it on behalf of your son, he will learn a vast amount about life by living in another country. I wouldn't deny him the experience.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

I left a few months ago and I don't regret it one bit . Earning real money and not having to put up with all the crap that used to piss me off in Thailand. Don't miss it at all . Went back for a holiday to finalise some things and it was a nice holiday and that's the way I want to keep it . I'll probably retire there but to live there right now at this time in my life . Depends how old you are but a lot of people seem to waste the best years of their life there and then one day they wake up at fifty and realise their future is non-existent . IMO you should retire there or go there very young . Between 28-50 , go somewhere else and get a career and money . You can always go back for holidays or retire there in a comfortable position when you're older . Thailand's okay but it's not as great as some people make out .Yes you can have a nice life there but you can do that in many other places too .

You seem to mention money a lot. Is that your only concern. I ask cos met oooooodles of folk who are transfixed by money and nothing else. sad.png

When you haven't grown up with it I think that it is probably some kind of indicator of success in life if you can get it . I also want to have it so that my children have a better start in life than I did . I also want it because I want to have a nice life when I'm older . I don't think there is anything strange in wanting a nice house and having a bit of cash to go on holiday . That's probably most peoples' aspirations in life . And let's face it , a lot of salaries in Thailand are crap and job chances are limited.

I had everything and lost it, not in LOS. Not my doing. bah.gif . Taught me something, thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

Thank you both for these latest two replies. Wife and son already hold dual citizenship and are familiar with the country.

Well I'd have to give up PR - or I'd had to travel once every year to Thailand, not least to keep PR valid. But a paper shouldn't decide about fate.

Actually just started the process to get the Thai passport, but that takes at least 2-3 years and am not sure if it's really worth the wait.

OP: You ask for input, then when responses are provided you drip feed additional info regards your situation. Wouldn't it be more productive to provide more details in the first place as to your situation, then if members wish to do so, you would get more relevant/focused replies for considerationsmile.png

When you haven't grown up with it I think that it is probably some kind of indicator of success in life if you can get it . I also want to have it so that my children have a better start in life than I did . I also want it because I want to have a nice life when I'm older . I don't think there is anything strange in wanting a nice house and having a bit of cash to go on holiday . That's probably most peoples' aspirations in life . And let's face it , a lot of salaries in Thailand are crap and job chances are limited.

I had everything and lost it, not in LOS. Not my doing. bah.gif . Taught me something, thumbsup.gif

What ?

OP: You ask for input, then when responses are provided you drip feed additional info regards your situation. Wouldn't it be more productive to provide more details in the first place as to your situation, then if members wish to do so, you would get more relevant/focused replies for considerationsmile.png

Indeed, sorry about this.

But the basic question I'm asking has little to do with an individual situation. It's a general question:

Whether Thailand is really such a great place to live and whether the West is really such a tough place to live.

Whether we're living in a dream world here -- or whether Thailand is no longer the place we came to many years ago.

Edited by cyberholz
  • Like 1

It's a general question:

Whether Thailand is really such a great place to live and whether the West is really such a tough place to live.

Whether we're living in a dream world here -- or whether Thailand is no longer the place we came to many years ago.

For me, yes, yes, no and yes.

YMMV