Investigating The Integration Of Buddhism Into Western Culture

camerata

This caught my eye in the article:

"It is very difficult for a Westerner to become a Buddhist monk or nun. In my 36 years in America I have only ordained two American men as monks (it is interesting to note that I have ordained 15 women as nuns). Being a Buddhist monastic in America is a drastic and unfamiliar path for Westerners to take. Thirty-two years ago I instituted a three-step pathway for ordaining lay people as fully-certified Buddhist ministers (Bodhicari), which are comparable to Protestant or Jodo Shinshu ministers. This system has been very successful, and we now have many excellent, highly-qualified male and female lay ministers who can teach Dhamma classes, conduct weddings and funerals, give meditation instruction, and serve the Buddhist community in a host of useful ways. The three-step program is based on progressive levels of Buddhist education, commitment, teaching experience, and Precepts."

Full article.

• Like 1

I don't know why no one is interested in this topic. In any case, Buddhism continues to grow and evolve in the west (I'm from the US). With regard to the Thai Buddhist perspective, because Thai Buddhism is Theravadin, ie, not really socially active, it will always have a somewhat subdued presence in the west. As well, Thai Buddhism is far from the only form of Buddhism taking root there. I refer specifically to the Tibetan form which is growing and thriving in the US, Europe, and Latin America. I think it is the 'activism' of Tibetan Buddhism, ie, its ceremonies and rituals followers are encourage to take up, often in large groups together. Also, there are already a number of ordained American lamas and even a few American or western tulkus (incarnated lamas). Of course, we can't forget HH Dalai Lama, who has been the international face for Tibetans for over 50 years.

So, the future of Buddhism in the west hardly lies with Thai or Theravadin Buddhists alone. It has already been one full generation of Buddhism coming to the west. And by this I mean that, again, the Tibetan style is the most prominent. Its entry into the west marked a turning point and a 'reset' for Buddhism outside of Asian.

Edited by Jawnie

Its entry into the west marked a turning point and a 'reset' for Buddhism outside of Asian.

Along with three elected American Buddhist House of Representatives, the election of America's first Buddhist senator this week, certainly may lead to an integration of Buddhism with western culture in ways greater than we might think.

Quote:

Maizie Hirona who will be the nation’s first Buddhist senator when the new Congress convenes in January.

Hirono, who is also the first Asian-American woman elected to the Senate, was one of three Buddhists in the House of Representatives.

The other two, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga. and Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, D-Hawaii, both won re-election on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Its entry into the west marked a turning point and a 'reset' for Buddhism outside of Asian.

Along with three elected American Buddhist House of Representatives, the election of America's first Buddhist senator this week, certainly may lead to an integration of Buddhism with western culture in ways greater than we might think.

Quote:

Maizie Hirona who will be the nation’s first Buddhist senator when the new Congress convenes in January.

Hirono, who is also the first Asian-American woman elected to the Senate, was one of three Buddhists in the House of Representatives.

The other two, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga. and Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, D-Hawaii, both won re-election on Tuesday.

I agree Rockysdt. Again, in Tibetan Buddhist circles, things are really turning toward America. I'm here in Thailand and i find myself longing to be back in the US because there are lots of Tibetan teachers there but very few in Thailand. The relative freedom of worship and religion in the US is a huge magnet for Tibetans since not only can they practice Buddhism unhindered, they can resettle and become citizens. They can't even do that in India, their status in India is as refugees and they face restrictions on movement, property ownership, employment, education, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to the conversation FWIW there is a huge Tharavadin community here in Northern CA. Many western teachers trained under Ajarn Chah and the monks he trained. Abayaghiri monastery is up the highway a few hours and there are quite a few meditation centers throughout the Bay Area with emphasis on Vipassana. I feel so fortunate!

Sent from my A500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Its part of the 'religion is bad' mythology. Same as saying all cars are blue. Integrating Buddhism into western culture would go better if it wasn't for this idea. Also much of western culture is christian based and some fundamental beliefs from that theology linger. Godhead and soul are the obvious ones. One criticism against religion is that it is the cause of war. But on examination this does not fly. Some wars, yes. The vast majority, no. WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Iraq, Americas civil and independence wars, Boer, Crimea, cold, Napoleonic, punic, Zulu, Chinese provincial, Kadesh, Agincourt/Crecy/Poitiers, and so on. Many people are, without thought or knowledge, accepting the half-baked arguments of others against things they do not understand. Why? Anger at something else. Its easy to vent and ridicule some institution when you yourself feel powerless. Why explore the possibilities yourself when you can use the arguments of 'experts' to justify feeling knowledgeable and superior? Religions set higher moral standards than any other institutions on Earth, so when some clergy act badly the whole edifice is therefore rotten. Ridiculous. Five minutes research would show this as an absurd assumption. Unfortunately most people really are sheep who are happy to bleat whatever clever sounding ideology they're fed. So despite cultural and fasionable resistance it seems that Buddhism is growing in the west, albeit in a slow way, but there it is. Europe, America, Australia, because as Fred says its not a theism. It provides real results from dedicated practice. Meditation alone is popular as an antidote to modern life. The poster from California feels fortunate to have a Buddhist community nearby. All in all, though it may never be the premier western religion Buddhism will always have a presence.

I think Ven. Walpola's approach is very reasonable. As Fabianfred suggested, he may be influenced by the Zen practice in the States of ordaining men and women who then function either as full time Zen teachers or continue in their social and professional roles. Some Zen masters are ordained priests and ministers in Christian denominations, for example (e.g. James Ishmael Ford, a Unitarian-Universalist minister).

Of course, the barriers against full female participation at all levels have to go, at least in western societies.

I don't have a problem with the oriental iconography where it derives from India (Chinese imagery I find very alien). The Buddha and early Buddhism flourished in India, so I don't see Indian-style imagery as alienating at all. It seems natural and authentic, though of course it is idealized, as is the nature of religious imagery. An image of the Buddha in western clothes, with a beard and tousled (or gelled) hair, would seem very strange to me and quite inauthentic. Traditional images of the Buddha, even though they are Hellenized idealizations from some centuries after his passing, are very beautiful and should not be marginalized.

I don't know why no one is interested in this topic.

I think the thing that puts people off Buddhism is the elitism which seems to go with it, people coming out with all the long words and states of consciousnesses you never even heard of.Or maybe it's just too cerebral and hard work for many, just too hard to get your head around. I must say I have had one amazing experience, not an emotional response, after seeing the Dali lama for the first time in Dec 1973. I actually was very disappointed and thought he was a big let down, however meditating that night was all light, bells and space, sorry don;t know the right words for it, never happened since though.

This bloke became a monk pretty easily in Thailand and ordained a few others I think, long time ago though in the 50's. Interesting book if only to see how Dhamakaya changed so much since then

http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/0951176927

A great book which was in my library for years. As you say, Dhammakaya when the teacher was alive and now are two very different things.

What made you give up your practice?

What are some of the unsolvable questions?

Buddha said 'question everything, and find your own way'. I did. Found out that buddhism doesn't provide answers to the unsolvable questions either. Dismissed.

Edited by rockyysdt