Beware

softgeorge

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to respecfully suggest that alarmist but non-specific one-word headings such as "Beware" are not encouraged, and should reveal what to 'beware' of in the subject line, so that people do not waste their time following subjects which are of no interest to them.

Simple, do not click on, "Follow this topic" button. then if you have no interest you do not have to follow it. Everyone has a choice.

I'd like to respecfully suggest that alarmist but non-specific one-word headings such as "Beware" are not encouraged, and should reveal what to 'beware' of in the subject line, so that people do not waste their time following subjects which are of no interest to them.

Simple, do not click on, "Follow this topic" button. then if you have no interest you do not have to follow it. Everyone has a choice.

I think jko is saying that if there was a bit more information in the heading or sub-heading,

he wouldn't have to open it al all.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

To the OP george and Thaivisa, thank you so much for this warning. I was about to sign over 28K AUD to this company happy park and if it hadn't been for you people I would have been in a great deal of stress. It would have been flushing good money down the toilet. Thank you again for the warning and Thai Visa keep up the good work.

P.S her mug shot does not do her justice.

• Like 2

To the OP george and Thaivisa, thank you so much for this warning. I was about to sign over 28K AUD to this company happy park and if it hadn't been for you people I would have been in a great deal of stress. It would have been flushing good money down the toilet. Thank you again for the warning and Thai Visa keep up the good work.

Happy Park is not the same company the OP is referring to.

Yes it is, this development is Jasmine Happy Park, not to be confused with Jasmine Homes. This development was post divorce to an expat engineer who was the designer of the Jasmine Homes developments. Happy Park was started after the divorce, pre-murder of the common law husband.

To many of us who purchased our land/homes from Jasmine Homes we are now in a position that she probably was laundered drug money when she purchased the land and we now face an unknown future. Even though we used "Clean" money in our purchase we have no idea what or how much more we are facing to make this issue go away and clear our properties.

How many officials will have their hand out for their piece of the pie?

Personaly, I am going to an attorney this week to represent my wife and try to get to the bottom of the issue and push for a quick resolution. I will be tasking the attorney with dealing with the bank since I can see no reason to continue making mortgage payments on a property that "Might" be tied up in litigation for a long time!

Worse case, I go back to being a renter or moving back to Buriram where we have a house free & clear.

I love Chiangmai and don't want to move back to Issan unless all other options fail but if need be I will walk from Jasmine Homes.

Edited by Diablo Bob
  • Like 1

Yes it is, this development is Jasmine Happy Park, not to be confused with Jasmine Homes. This development was post divorce to an expat engineer who was the designer of the Jasmine Homes developments. Happy Park was started after the divorce, pre-murder of the common law husband.

To many of us who purchased our land/homes from Jasmine Homes we are now in a position that she probably was laundered drug money when she purchased the land and we now face an unknown future. Even though we used "Clean" money in our purchase we have no idea what or how much more we are facing to make this issue go away and clear our properties.

Personaly, I am going to an attorney this week to represent my wife and try to get to the bottom of the issue and push for a quick resolution. I will be tasking the attorney with dealing with the bank since I can see no reason to continue making mortgage payments on a property that "Might" be tied up in litigation for a long time!

Worse case, I go back to being a renter or moving back to Buriram where we have a house free & clear.

I love Chiangmai and don't want to move back to Issan unless all other options fail but if need be I will walk from Jasmine Homes.

thumbsup.gif spot on Edited by chooka

Agreed! Elaborate on your source and quit scaremongering.

It will be released in the media very shortly I am sure.

So why mention it now, when it can help no one but alarm many?

Over 2000 responses to posts and you don't know how to read through a thread before sticking foot in mouth! whistling.gif

Let's tick it back a notch, folks.

No reason to get worked up about this topic.

How many people on this forum are directly affected by this particular development- maybe a dozen or so?

Newsworthy, yes.

Worthy of flames, and people at each other's thoats- no.

Please mind your manners in discussing this topic, or the thread will be closed, and thank you for your understanding.

Sorry Diablo I'm a bit confused about this....and am really not trying to play funny buggers.

Does this affect everybody that has a house on Jasmine Homes development site (as you have mentioned Jasmine Homes in 2nd para) rather than the separate and unrelated Happy Park. I am not sure how having a Jasmine Homes development is a problem at all. The Jasmine Homes web site has a disclaimer advising that it is unrelated to The Jasmine Happy Park Homes. As fas as I know the Happy Park plots were actually only coming onto the market a few weeks ago (though promotion started a year ago).

If you have a Jasmine Homes residence could you not just check with them as well? If it is a separate legal entity then it would not matter so much if the woman was involved it in before or indeed now unless she was the sole/majority shareholder which does not seem to be the case.

I am not sure that anyone is suggesting that Jasmine Homes developments or the company itself is now or in the past been involved in money laundering/drugs. Vy all accounts it is a good company. I would have thought Jasmine Homes was "safe as houses".

Secondly, if there is a mortgage wouldn't the bank hold the title rather than Jasmine Homes/Happy Park?. I just couldn't see many banks here doing mortgages for a house without the land (which is often the more substantial value long term).

If the Bank hold the title then surely they would want to be on top of this and also would authorities really look at seizing a bank asset (the bank having a lot more money/influence to resist such attempts and setting of precedents). If the bank has title then the bank has title. Theoretically the property could change hands a number of times, it would be unreasonable to hold the final occupier (or Bank) as the one that obtained or profited from the property through any drug trade.

It may not be inconceivable that having a mortgage puts you in a better position than someone who bought a property directly outright (from Happy Park).

Edited by mamborobert

It's the second-to-last paragraph in the Thai article that matters, according to my own sketchy translation:

Wichai Chaimongkol, Director of the Region 5 Drug Suppression Division, referring to the procedure for examining Nitaya's assets, stated that so far they are aware of a housing development in San Sai with 30 houses worth 4-5 million baht each, as well as many more plots of land planned for development. All of these will be checked to see whether these incomes and assets came from Somchai's wealth seized for his involvement in the drug trade. If they are not drug monies, the Drugs division will pass the case over to the finance authorities to determine if they are involved in money laundering or any tax issues, for which Nitaya must submit evidence.

thumbsup.gif spot on

I stand corrected.

Sorry Diablo I'm a bit confused about this....and am really not trying to play funny buggers.

Does this affect everybody that has a house on Jasmine Homes development site (as you have mentioned Jasmine Homes in 2nd para) rather than the separate and unrelated Happy Park. I am not sure how having a Jasmine Homes development is a problem at all. The Jasmine Homes web site has a disclaimer advising that it is unrelated to The Jasmine Happy Park Homes. As fas as I know the Happy Park plots were actually only coming onto the market a few weeks ago (though promotion started a year ago).

If you have a Jasmine Homes residence could you not just check with them as well? If it is a separate legal entity then it would not matter so much if the woman was involved it in before or indeed now unless she was the sole/majority shareholder which does not seem to be the case.

I am not sure that anyone is suggesting that Jasmine Homes developments or the company itself is now or in the past been involved in money laundering/drugs. Vy all accounts it is a good company. I would have thought Jasmine Homes was "safe as houses".

Secondly, if there is a mortgage wouldn't the bank hold the title rather than Jasmine Homes/Happy Park?. I just couldn't see many banks here doing mortgages for a house without the land (which is often the more substantial value long term).

If the Bank hold the title then surely they would want to be on top of this and also would authorities really look at seizing a bank asset (the bank having a lot more money/influence to resist such attempts and setting of precedents). If the bank has title then the bank has title. Theoretically the property could change hands a number of times, it would be unreasonable to hold the final occupier (or Bank) as the one that obtained or profited from the property through any drug trade.

It may not be inconceivable that having a mortgage puts you in a better position than someone who bought a property directly outright (from Happy Park).

Puwa pointed out where Jasmine Developments might be in question. If in fact drug money was used by Jasmine Homes to initially purchase the land then what happens then is up to the legal system. I hope you are correct on the sway the banks might have in the process.

I rode by the building site yesterday anf it was a ghost town

Staff are out of work and contractors aren't being paid. Everything has been siezed and many customers may be out of pocket for a few years. Some customers can't even get access to homes that have been finnished. It is going to take time to sort everything out and a few kickbacks I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...

T

her mixed race son has been taken out of the country to england out of fears that the victims family will want retaliation.

Must of just happened then because I saw him being picked up at school by his father last Thursday.

They flew out on Wednesday night.

Staff are out of work and contractors aren't being paid. Everything has been siezed and many customers may be out of pocket for a few years. Some customers can't even get access to homes that have been finnished. It is going to take time to sort everything out and a few kickbacks I am sure.

Story on the andrew drummond site but does not take issue much further

I read that story and doesn't say much more. I question why tho the story published the ex farang husbands name and photo. Personally I believe Steve is an innocent party in this and his only association was he was married to this lady (They have a child) and former business partners. There is nothing to suggest that he was any way involved in money laundering or the murder. The guy is actually back in England at the moment. This could do untold damage to his business.

Nittaya always seemed like a lovely friendly person and always a very hospitable host at social gatherings. Good singer also. Never gave the slightest indication that she had a dark and seedy side. Guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Edited by chooka

I read that story and doesn't say much more. I question why tho the story published the ex farang husbands name and photo. Personally I believe Steve is an innocent party in this and his only association was he was married to this lady (They have a child) and former business partners. There is nothing to suggest that he was any way involved in money laundering or the murder. The guy is actually back in England at the moment. This could do untold damage to his business.

Nittaya always seemed like a lovely friendly person and always a very hospitable host at social gatherings. Good singer also. Never gave the slightest indication that she had a dark and seedy side. Guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I haven't read the Andrew Drummond story but from past experiance I find him to be vary unreliable for a source of information. On a par with the Nation.

Wow, pretty sorted stuff

Good luck to those who bought property from these folks. Could have been me.

And me I almost handed over 900K deposit to Happy Park. Thank god this warning came out. Now I am extremely careful and question everyone and everything we will now tread very lightly.

• 2 months later...

Happy Park Estate (company) has now been siezed and is 100% in the hands of authorities now. Properties, houses, cars and jewlery in excess of 600Mil baht have been siezed from the lady and those that purchased land from her or her company have been locked out until after court proceedings and monies cleared, might take years. There are a couple of farangs caught up in this and thier deposits have also been frozen.

Happy Park Estate (company) has now been siezed and is 100% in the hands of authorities now. Properties, houses, cars and jewlery in excess of 600Mil baht have been siezed from the lady and those that purchased land from her or her company have been locked out until after court proceedings and monies cleared, might take years. There are a couple of farangs caught up in this and thier deposits have also been frozen.

This story has been on every news channel the last couple of days. Considering the woman was worth more than 500 million Baht, what a messy dump her house is! Not very nice looking house either. The BiB were having fun playing on her pool table. They also showed the police safe cracker at work. Looks like it is not too difficult to crack a safe open in Thailand. Maybe keep that in mind when buying a safe here.

Did they have condos for sale too? Just wondering when you say "there are a couple of farangs caught up in this and their deposits have also been frozen." Farangs can only buy condos in Thailand so how would they be affected?

Wow, pretty sorted stuff

And me I almost handed over 900K deposit to Happy Park. Thank god this warning came out. Now I am extremely careful and question everyone and everything we will now tread very lightly.

I'm trying to understand this comment: "Now I am extremely careful and question everyone and everything". What exactly do you ask them? "Are you involved in any illegal drug deals or murder-for-hire that I should know about?" Just how to you protect yourself from such shenanigans?

Wow, pretty sorted stuff

I'm trying to understand this comment: "Now I am extremely careful and question everyone and everything". What exactly do you ask them? "Are you involved in any illegal drug deals or murder-for-hire that I should know about?" Just how to you protect yourself from such shenanigans?

Get a good lawyer before getting into deals in Thailand.

If you just talk to a seller or developer then not that bright of an idea.