Does Aust Govt. Think You Loose Brains If You Live In Thailand

tezzainoz

Okay here is my gripe for the day

When I moved to Thailand I used my Australian Licence to get a Thai licence

No problem produce your Australia licence and we will give you a Thai one after a few eye sight tests

Now I have my Thai Licence and 2 years later my Aust licence expires

2.6 years later I return to Australia

OOOps drivers licence expired so I need reapply

No problem do the question test 100%

They look on computer and see my licence of 20 years has expired

Okay show my thai licence

No problem, but you will need to do a new practical test, why ...............

I can use my Australia licence to get a thai, but can not use the Thai licence given to me because I had an Australia licence to renew my Australia Licence

Is the Australian Goverment saying that in my 2.6 years in Thailand my brain has gone dead

It can not be that driving in Thailand is too easy

In fact the days of getting a drivers licenese in Thailand by fraud or buying one is long been stamped out

I would rather drive in Parramatta rd than therough the streets of Main Bkk

your opinion

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an interesting question in that I know US will let Thais rent and drive cars, si why not?

Having said that, Im happy they dont. I have not had a car in a decade but figure to have logged over 300k miles.

Thais w exception of those who drive professionally are a danger. How many banged up little cars do you see daily in bkk? Loads.

In the US if the lic if not renewed and dead - you start again.I think this true for all 50states.

Edited by bangkokburning

I can understand why the govt is wary of Thais getting an Australian driver licence

But my records show I got an australia Licence and have held if for over 25 years before travelling to Thailand

My question was why was I okay then and not now,

what happened to my brain while I was driving in Thailand to make me a risk on the Australia roads

so thats like saying if I got my education degree in Australia went to live in Thailand

3-4 years later I return to australia I must redo all the exams

Is the Australian Goverment saying that in my 2.6 years in Thailand my brain has gone dead

The Australian government doesn't issue driver's licenses - that is a state/territory function, and each has their own differing requirements.

Okay you are right

but they all seem to have the same ruling

unless you know something I do not know

but glad to listen to your advice which one to go to

In Victoria, you don't need to do a test to renew your expired licence (up to 5 years).

http://www.vicroads....iredLicence.htm

Indeed.

I am wondering what state the OP is in? As far as I knew, there was a generous period where one could get a new licence issued even though their old one had been expired quite a while?

I am curious if the OP showed his OLD Australian license as well to the Roads Department in his state...?

I have trouble understanding what you are angry with?

Thai licences are not valid in Australia as Australian Licences are not valid in Thailand.

You can drive on your Thai licence here in most states for up to 3 months ... which coincides with a typical Tourist Visa.

Your Australian Licence has expired and you have to apply for a new one.

Or do you wish a special rule just for you?

EDIT:- Remember that the drivers licence also forms a major identification document.

you miss the point

My Australia licence gets me a thai licence = No test

But if I want to return to my Australia licence, they will not accept I changed to a thai licence and let mine expire for over 5 years

Records show I have driven in Australia longer than the present licence system itself

so if I do not drive a car for 4 yrs 11 months I can get my oz licence back even though I have no experience on the road for this long

but if I wait 1 more more and have plenty of experience because I do it in Thailand I am seen as no longer a good driver

This applies to renewing a licence in NSW and as the OP mentioned Parramatta Road, I would say he is in Sydney.

Early renewal of licences

Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) can process an application for early renewal of a licence up to six months before the expiry date of the licence.

Renewal of licences within five years after the expiry date

If a customer applies to renew a licence within six months after the expiry date of the previous licence, the licence is backdated, provided the previous licence had not been cancelled or that the customer had not been disqualified from driving since the issue of the previous licence.

Licences that are expired for more than six months but less than five years cannot be renewed, but may be reissued. This is because the tenure period is broken. A fresh licence is issued commencing from the date of application.

Reissue of licences expired five or more years ago

If a customer reapplies for a licence five or more years after the expiry date, he or she must pass eyesight, knowledge, driving or riding tests for the class of licence previously held. Such customers are exempt from knowledge, driving or riding tests if they can prove that they hold an Australian licence, or have held one in the previous five years, for the same class of vehicle. If an overseas driver licence is currently held, or has been held in the previous five years, an exemption from the driving test is allowed for the same class of vehicle. If the licence is a class C (car) licence and is from a Recognised Country, no knowledge or driving test is required.

An applicant seeking a licence of a class higher than the one previously held must meet age and tenure requirements and pass the appropriate eyesight, knowledge and driving tests.

If an applicant applying for reissue of an expired licence fails the first driving or riding test and still wishes to get a licence, it is necessary to apply for a learner licence. A learner rider is required to complete the pre-learner course in the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme if he or she lives in an area covered by the scheme.

http://www.rta.nsw.g...ewing_full.html

• Like 1

Thai licences are not valid in Australia as Australian Licences are not valid in Thailand.

You can drive on your Thai licence here in most states for up to 3 months ... which coincides with a typical Tourist Visa.

EDIT:- Remember that the drivers licence also forms a major identification document.

you miss the point

But if I want to return to my Australia licence, they will not accept I changed to a thai licence and let mine expire for over 5 years

Records show I have driven in Australia longer than the present licence system itself

so if I do not drive a car for 4 yrs 11 months I can get my oz licence back even though I have no experience on the road for this long

but if I wait 1 more more and have plenty of experience because I do it in Thailand I am seen as no longer a good driver

I get your point ... I just disagree with you ... rolleyes.gif

Should someone, a Thai National, come to Australia with a Thai Drivers Licence and be automatically be given an Australian Drivers Licence?

Maybe they assume that you; haven driven for so long in a culture that does not follow safety standards, rules of the road, or even common decencey with regard to traffic safety, may have forgotten the proper way to drive. Therefore they want to check to be sure.

I sure as hell wouldn't issue a drivers licence in a Western country to someone based solely on the fact that they have "obtained" a Thai driver licence.

Australia knows full well what goes on on the roads here. Don't think for a minute that they don'twink.png

you miss the point

I get your point ... I just disagree with you ... rolleyes.gif

Should someone, a Thai National, come to Australia with a Thai Drivers Licence and be automatically be given an Australian Drivers Licence?

Sorry I though I made that clear

My winghe is that I have held an Australian licence for way over 25 years and I am 5 months over the expiry date

this with out doubt proves I can drive

during this time I drove on a Thai licence issued to me as I already had an Australia licence, so conciderd I could drive

I am not saying because I have a Thai licence, but have proved I have been legally licenced for the full period of times, and got my licence after an Australia Drivers Test, not thai test so they can not say they do not recognised drivers test

If Thailand considerers I am good enought to drive after passing a test in Australia, then why does the state gov, say I now not know how to drive

My winghe is that I have held an Australian licence for way over 25 years and I am 5 months over the expiry date

during this time I drove on a Thai licence issued to me as I already had an Australia licence, so conciderd I could drive

I am not saying because I have a Thai licence, but have proved I have been legally licenced for the full period of times, and got my licence after an Australia Drivers Test, not thai test so they can not say they do not recognised drivers test

If Thailand considerers I am good enought to drive after passing a test in Australia, then why does the state gov, say I now not know how to drive

If you're only 5 months over the expiry date, then you shouldn't need to re-sit the test. The Thai licence has nothing to do with it.

The Australian states do not allow the use of other country's licences to apply for an Australian licence where the other country's testing standards are not up to the standard of Australian driving tests. (not sure about UK, US etc)

Other than that, it seems that in general, after your licence has expired for 5 years you need to re-sit the test ... regardless of how long you have been driving.

Which part do you have a problem with?

Edited by whybother

If you're only 5 months over the expiry date, then you shouldn't need to re-sit the test. The Thai licence has nothing to do with it.

The Australian states do not allow the use of other country's licences to apply for an Australian licence where the other country's testing standards are not up to the standard of Australian driving tests. (not sure about UK, US etc)

Other than that, it seems that in general, after your licence has expired for 5 years you need to re-sit the test ... regardless of how long you have been driving.

The part where you keep paying over and over again for the same thing

why you think Farang prefer to live in Thailand

You only get ripped off once

:)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

BTW ... we don't say that you don't have a genuine complaint ... we just haven’t understood exactly what that complaint is?

Just how long had your State (Australian) Licence been expired for when you applied for a new one?

What State did you apply in?

Out of curiosity ... are you expecting the Aged Pension when you retire?

EDIT ... my piss poor spelling

Edited by David48

At least you had an excuse for not being able to read the instructions in Thailand....

What are you paying over and over for in Aus that you wouldn't pay over and over for in Thailand?

My understanding is that in Thailand you have to pay for a licence renewal too.

And overall, what does your Thai licence have to do with your issue? Your Aus licence is expired less than 5 years, so you should be able to get it renewed without having to sit any tests.

The issue with the Thai licence not automatically transferring rights to an Aus licence is absolutely required given the testing standards in Thailand. If you have a problem with that, I don't think you will get much sympathy here.

Maybe they assume that you; haven driven for so long in a culture that does not follow safety standards, rules of the road, or even common decencey with regard to traffic safety, may have forgotten the proper way to drive. Therefore they want to check to be sure.

I sure as hell wouldn't issue a drivers licence in a Western country to someone based solely on the fact that they have "obtained" a Thai driver licence.

Australia knows full well what goes on on the roads here. Don't think for a minute that they don'twink.png

In my opinion, if you can survive on the Thai roads, you qualify as professional driver anywhere in the world laugh.pnglaugh.png
  • Like 1

Check their Website. I renewd ours over the web, you are allowed to do this once if you are living OS.

Which state was that for?

Edit: Found it for Vic.

http://www.vicroads....yourlicence.htm

Renewing your licence while overseas

If you are overseas and need to renew your licence, you can do this by Bpay, telephone or by mail if VicRoads holds a recent digitalised image of you.

Edited by whybother

I think bureaucrats have taken over the world. And bureaucracy is their weapon of mass destruction. sad.png

Paper is an alien being from outer space intent on taking over the World - and using Thiland as a pilot scheme. I think most Thais who sit behind a desk would have a mental breakdown if their stapling machines went walkabout.