Does Aust Govt. Think You Loose Brains If You Live In Thailand

tezzainoz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP has overstepped the mark and is now banned from using the expression 'whinging Poms'. Please leave moaning and complaining to those who have made it into a national pasttime. laugh.png

The UK very sensibly issues a driving licence which has to be renewed on reaching 70 years of age. Successfully passing medical tests to obtain an annual (?) extension follow. If disqualified from driving for any reason you start all over again and my guess is that quite a few 'grey hairs' would find this no cakewalk. Being an accomplished, safe, experienced driver does not mean that one can pass the now very stiff tests easily.

I have trouble understanding what you are angry with?

Thai licences are not valid in Australia as Australian Licences are not valid in Thailand.

You can drive on your Thai licence here in most states for up to 3 months ... which coincides with a typical Tourist Visa.

Your Australian Licence has expired and you have to apply for a new one.

Or do you wish a special rule just for you?

EDIT:- Remember that the drivers licence also forms a major identification document.

you miss the point

My Australia licence gets me a thai licence = No test

But if I want to return to my Australia licence, they will not accept I changed to a thai licence and let mine expire for over 5 years

Records show I have driven in Australia longer than the present licence system itself

so if I do not drive a car for 4 yrs 11 months I can get my oz licence back even though I have no experience on the road for this long

but if I wait 1 more more and have plenty of experience because I do it in Thailand I am seen as no longer a good driver

I get your point ... I just disagree with you ... rolleyes.gif

Should someone, a Thai National, come to Australia with a Thai Drivers Licence and be automatically be given an Australian Drivers Licence?

Sorry I though I made that clear

My winghe is that I have held an Australian licence for way over 25 years and I am 5 months over the expiry date

this with out doubt proves I can drive

during this time I drove on a Thai licence issued to me as I already had an Australia licence, so conciderd I could drive

I am not saying because I have a Thai licence, but have proved I have been legally licenced for the full period of times, and got my licence after an Australia Drivers Test, not thai test so they can not say they do not recognised drivers test

If Thailand considerers I am good enought to drive after passing a test in Australia, then why does the state gov, say I now not know how to drive

Could it be that you were not issued with a new licence due to the standard of your spelling and grammar in all of your posts? Perhaps there was an reasonable apprehension that you would not understand road signs, especially given that you stated you have been driving in Thailand?

And surely, that is reason enough to not grant a licence given;

1) Many drivers are unlicenced,

2) Of those that do obtain a licence, many do so after failing the final driving test and thus pay an unofficial fee,

3) The driving test does not include a road condition element and is thus flawed,

4) The poor general standard of driving in Thailand, and many other neighbouring countries, should negate the issuance of an automatic licence in all Australian states, ie. the candidate should have to undertake a new driving test to prove that they can drive in a safe and competent manner.

• Like 1

Has happened to me twice (admittedly many years ago):

Returned from Hong Kong with expired (few months) Victorian licence. Produced HK licence and some ID. Licence granted without testing.

Returned from Thailand with expired (more than a year) Queensland licence. Produced Thai licence and some ID. Licence granted without testing.

Just fyi, Queensland Transport website currently says you must re-sit theory and practical testing if your licence has been expired more than 5 years.

May be wrong but licencing regulations (and laws) have been standardised across the states recently I thought?

Sorry I though I made that clear

My winghe is that I have held an Australian licence for way over 25 years and I am 5 months over the expiry date

this with out doubt proves I can drive

during this time I drove on a Thai licence issued to me as I already had an Australia licence, so conciderd I could drive

I am not saying because I have a Thai licence, but have proved I have been legally licenced for the full period of times, and got my licence after an Australia Drivers Test, not thai test so they can not say they do not recognised drivers test

If Thailand considerers I am good enought to drive after passing a test in Australia, then why does the state gov, say I now not know how to drive

Is bringing up Thailand even relevant? What if you were in the USA or the UK during all this time and went back to Australia? Same rule applies? Unless it has to do with something else, as someone mentioned, regarding reaching a certain age and having to demonstrate competent driving skills again. The USA certainly has this, but I don't recall what the age is.

I think I have read all the posts and to the "I thought I had made it clear" from the OP, I must say: no.

Australia and a majority of western countries do not accept a Thai driving license to drive on their roads (USA the main exception), let alone giving you a local driving license with a Thai one. Because that is the law there.

Thailand accepts several licenses from western countries to issue local Thai licenses. Because that is the law here.

Is that so difficult to understand?

And I don't think the OP has yet replied to the basic question: how long ago did your Australian license expire? There are rules for that too. May change depending of the states but if less than 5 years ago, no need to sit new tests. 5 years and one day ago, take new tests. Because that is the law.

Simple rules. Seem easy to understand.

I once was in Disneyworld Paris and still the Sorbonne University refuses to give me a doctorate in Arts and Humanities, go figure that one! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The part where you keep paying over and over again for the same thing

why you think Farang prefer to live in Thailand

You only get ripped off once

What are you paying over and over for in Aus that you wouldn't pay over and over for in Thailand?

My understanding is that in Thailand you have to pay for a licence renewal too.

And overall, what does your Thai licence have to do with your issue? Your Aus licence is expired less than 5 years, so you should be able to get it renewed without having to sit any tests.

The issue with the Thai licence not automatically transferring rights to an Aus licence is absolutely required given the testing standards in Thailand. If you have a problem with that, I don't think you will get much sympathy here.

You have no understanding at all of what I said

I did the driving test in Australia

Thailand then gave me a licence based on this

I never did a driving test in Thialand, (so your comments on Thailands driving test being substandard has no basis in this)

They have accepted that I have passed the Australian standards test

They have accepted I have a Thai licence so can drive legally on it in Australia

But they that is on the right hand

The left hand says we do not know if you can drive so you need do a new test

as far as the pay and pay again goes

In Thailand you only pay for you licence when you pass and get it

In oz they charge you every time you apply

Pass fail or can not attend you pay pay pay

I knopw we all have to pay for the Labor Parties uncontrolled spending

Maybe they assume that you; haven driven for so long in a culture that does not follow safety standards, rules of the road, or even common decencey with regard to traffic safety, may have forgotten the proper way to drive. Therefore they want to check to be sure.

I sure as hell wouldn't issue a drivers licence in a Western country to someone based solely on the fact that they have "obtained" a Thai driver licence.

Australia knows full well what goes on on the roads here. Don't think for a minute that they don'twink.png

In my opinion, if you can survive on the Thai roads, you qualify as professional driver anywhere in the world laugh.pnglaugh.png

At last someone who lives ooops drives in the real world

this is my point

ah, mods.

We've got an OP having a rant cause he hasn't got the grey matter to read the rules and get his license renewed easily - as any other person would be able to figure out.

So he's blaming everyone else. He's even blaming the government for his cluelessness!

Maybe time to close this thread?

I think I have read all the posts and to the "I thought I had made it clear" from the OP, I must say: no.

Australia and a majority of western countries do not accept a Thai driving license to drive on their roads (USA the main exception), let alone giving you a local driving license with a Thai one. Because that is the law there.

Thailand accepts several licenses from western countries to issue local Thai licenses. Because that is the law here.

And I don't think the OP has yet replied to the basic question: how long ago did your Australian license expire? There are rules for that too. May change depending of the states but if less than 5 years ago, no need to sit new tests. 5 years and one day ago, take new tests. Because that is the law.

I once was in Disneyworld Paris and still the Sorbonne University refuses to give me a doctorate in Arts and Humanities, go figure that one! rolleyes.gif

sorry you are totaly wrong, and do not see my point

Before I did the driving test in Australia I was allowed to drive on Australia roads with my Thai licence

after 3 months I need to change to an Australia Licence

but if I took a holiday back to Thailand when I returned to Australia I get another 3 months driving on the road with my Thai licence

Conclusion that few seem to be able to grasp

The Thai Licence is okay for you to drive for 3 months

But the fact you did your first test in Australia has no bearing

as long as you keep returning to Thailand at the end of the 3 months (normal tourist visa time) your thai licence is okay

So what I can not understand why are you such a bad driver when you get to 3 month 2 days

If they do not allow a thai licence to be used in an exchange for the Australia licence

why is it legal to use in the first place to drive on the road for 3 months

Maybe living in Thailand for 6 years has changed my way of thinking

especially when Thai logic makes more sense than western

call the man with the clean white shirts

they coming to yake me away

Before I did the driving test in Australia I was allowed to drive on Australia roads with my Thai licence

but if I took a holiday back to Thailand when I returned to Australia I get another 3 months driving on the road with my Thai licence

as long as you keep returning to Thailand at the end of the 3 months (normal tourist visa time) your thai licence is okay

So what I can not understand why are you such a bad driver when you get to 3 month 2 days

If they do not allow a thai licence to be used in an exchange for the Australia licence

If you don't like it in Australia, then .... ummm ... oh ... you did leave. Maybe you just shouldn't bother going back.

I agree with you OP, it is bureaucratic twaddle.

You have driven in Australia for twenty years, been in Thailand for a few, driven there, you still have a Thai license. So what if your Australian one (NSW i presume) has lapsed, the 20 years history in Australia driving, plus a continual record of holding a license should suffice the nonsense of resitting the tests.

You have driven in Australia for twenty years, been in Thailand for a few, driven there, you still have a Thai license. So what if your Australian one (NSW i presume) has lapsed, the 20 years history in Australia driving, plus a continual record of holding a license should suffice the nonsense of resitting the tests.

Point is that if his license has been expired less than 5 years, it gets automatically renewed - so long as you pay for a new one.

Odds are the thing only recently expired, so he is getting his knikers in a twist for no reason.

A lot of you guys going back to Australia won’t know these new road laws. The penalties are very high as are the loss of points. So be warned.

NEW MOBILE PHONE LAWS

From 1 November 2012 the mobile phone laws will be changed.

What do the mobile phone laws mean for you?

While your vehicle is moving or stationary (but not parked), as a driver you may only use a mobile phone to make or receive a call or use the audio playing function if:

· the mobile phone is secured in a fixed mounting; or

· the mobile phone does not require you to touch or manipulate the phone in any way.

All other functions including texting, video messaging, online chatting, reading preview messages and emailing are prohibited.

While your vehicle is moving or stationary (but not parked), as a driver you must not hold your mobile phone in your hand other than to pass the phone to a passenger.

A mobile phone’s GPS (or other driver’s aid) function may only be used if:

· the phone is secured in a commercially designed and manufactured fixed mounting, and

· the mounting is fixed in a location that will not distract or obscure your view in any way, and

· the use of the driver’s aid does not distract you from driving or from being in proper control of your vehicle.

How do mobile phone laws apply to learner and P1 provisional drivers and riders?

Learner and P1 drivers and riders are not permitted to use a mobile phone at all while driving or riding.

These laws were brought in on 1 July 2007 because learner and P1 drivers and provisional riders are developing their vehicle control and hazard perception skills. Mobile phone use can distract novice drivers and riders from the driving task. Studies have found that using a mobile phone while driving is dangerous as it slows reaction times and interferes with a driver’s perception skills and increases the chance of having a crash.

What are the penalties?

The penalty for mobile phone use is three demerit points (or four if the offence occurs in a school zone) and a fine.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/driverdistractions/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing requirements for international visitors

If you are not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors include:

· Tourists.

· Business people on limited duration visits.

· People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders) in NSW.

Note: Special arrangements apply for New Zealand citizens. Find out more…

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and hold a current overseas driver licence, you do not have to get a NSW driver licence. You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:

· You remain a visitor.

· You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere.

· You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

Find out more...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/hubpages/hub_overseasvisitors.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any new road rules can be seen on the link below.

See new rule in NSW for going straight in a roundabout.

If going straight, you must indicate on exit your intention to exit.

Use to be, indicate only if going left or right.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/roadrules/index.html

If you don't like it in Australia, then .... ummm ... oh ... you did leave. Maybe you just shouldn't bother going back.

Comment have been deleted by my self

Hath to remember what my dad taught me

Don't argue with an idiot

he will beat you every time with stupid remarks

Point is that if his license has been expired less than 5 years, it gets automatically renewed - so long as you pay for a new one.

Odds are the thing only recently expired, so he is getting his knikers in a twist for no reason.

If you bother to read my posts I have been in Thailand 6 years

that mean even to a thai that my licence has past the expiry for renewal date

I asked by email and was told my licence would be renewed if I brought it back with me, when I returned

Yes no problem was the reply

but on fronting the Qld front desk was told

No you can drive in Qld on your Thai licence for 3 months

but you can not apply for an Australia licence using this as proof you have been driving for the last 6 years

My point is I would like to see some of the traffic inspectors drive in down town Thailand at 5 o'clock on wet week day

So again I ask and now one has answered

what make me a better drive because I hold an Australia Licence

and what makes me a worse driver because I have a Thai licence

And if the Thai licence is so bad

why am I allowed to drive for 3 months on it

THIS SHOULD COVER ALL YOUR QUERIES. BOTTOM LINE IT'S THE LAW.

Full licences

Home > Licensing > Renewing a licence > Full licences

Early renewal of licences

Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) can process an application for early renewal of a licence up to six months before the expiry date of the licence.

Renewal of licences within five years after the expiry date

If a customer applies to renew a licence within six months after the expiry date of the previous licence, the licence is backdated, provided the previous licence had not been cancelled or that the customer had not been disqualified from driving since the issue of the previous licence.

Licences that are expired for more than six months but less than five years cannot be renewed, but may be reissued. This is because the tenure period is broken. A fresh licence is issued commencing from the date of application.

Reissue of licences expired five or more years ago

If a customer reapplies for a licence five or more years after the expiry date, he or she must pass eyesight, knowledge, driving or riding tests for the class of licence previously held. Such customers are exempt from knowledge, driving or riding tests if they can prove that they hold an Australian licence, or have held one in the previous five years, for the same class of vehicle. If an overseas driver licence is currently held, or has been held in the previous five years, an exemption from the driving test is allowed for the same class of vehicle. If the licence is a class C (car) licence and is from a Recognised Country, no knowledge or driving test is required.

An applicant seeking a licence of a class higher than the one previously held must meet age and tenure requirements and pass the appropriate eyesight, knowledge and driving tests.

If an applicant applying for reissue of an expired licence fails the first driving or riding test and still wishes to get a licence, it is necessary to apply for a learner licence. A learner rider is required to complete the pre-learner course in the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme if he or she lives in an area covered by the scheme.

Renewal requirements

Depending on whether the previous licence is current or has expired, there are different licensing requirements before renewal.

However, all applicants seeking renewal of their licences must:

• Complete the renewal form.
  • Produce their NSW photo-licence or provide proof of identity and proof of residential address to Roads and Maritime Services requirements (if a reference statement is required, it must be from a person who has known the applicant for at least 12 months and who holds a current NSW gold, silver or magenta licence).
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Be photographed.
  • Pay the cost of a licence (unless eligible for a concession).
  • Surrender of old licence.

Surrender of old licence

A licensee must surrender the old licence when renewing. Roads and Maritime Services will remove the date of birth and a 'V' shaped section from the top middle portion of the old licence before returning it to the licensee together with the new photo-licence. Keep the old licence in a safe place as it can be used for proof of identity purposes by Roads and Maritime Services.

http://www.rta.nsw.g...ewing_full.html

Full licences

Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) can process an application for early renewal of a licence up to six months before the expiry date of the licence.

If a customer applies to renew a licence within six months after the expiry date of the previous licence, the licence is backdated, provided the previous licence had not been cancelled or that the customer had not been disqualified from driving since the issue of the previous licence.

Licences that are expired for more than six months but less than five years cannot be renewed, but may be reissued. This is because the tenure period is broken. A fresh licence is issued commencing from the date of application.

If a customer reapplies for a licence five or more years after the expiry date, he or she must pass eyesight, knowledge, driving or riding tests for the class of licence previously held. Such customers are exempt from knowledge, driving or riding tests if they can prove that they hold an Australian licence, or have held one in the previous five years, for the same class of vehicle. If an overseas driver licence is currently held, or has been held in the previous five years, an exemption from the driving test is allowed for the same class of vehicle. If the licence is a class C (car) licence and is from a Recognised Country, no knowledge or driving test is required.

An applicant seeking a licence of a class higher than the one previously held must meet age and tenure requirements and pass the appropriate eyesight, knowledge and driving tests.

If an applicant applying for reissue of an expired licence fails the first driving or riding test and still wishes to get a licence, it is necessary to apply for a learner licence. A learner rider is required to complete the pre-learner course in the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme if he or she lives in an area covered by the scheme.

Renewal requirements

Depending on whether the previous licence is current or has expired, there are different licensing requirements before renewal.

• Produce their NSW photo-licence or provide proof of identity and proof of residential address to Roads and Maritime Services requirements (if a reference statement is required, it must be from a person who has known the applicant for at least 12 months and who holds a current NSW gold, silver or magenta licence).
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Be photographed.

Surrender of old licence

A licensee must surrender the old licence when renewing. Roads and Maritime Services will remove the date of birth and a 'V' shaped section from the top middle portion of the old licence before returning it to the licensee together with the new photo-licence. Keep the old licence in a safe place as it can be used for proof of identity purposes by Roads and Maritime Services.

Exactly what I posted in post #12 but the Op does not seem to under stand it.

The only thing I can see is, he has not presented his expired Australian Licence, when applying for renewal.

He needs to present his expired Australian licence not his Thai licence when renewing.

Edited by kevjohn

If you bother to read my posts I have been in Thailand 6 years

that mean even to a thai that my licence has past the expiry for renewal date

I asked by email and was told my licence would be renewed if I brought it back with me, when I returned

Yes no problem was the reply

but on fronting the Qld front desk was told

No you can drive in Qld on your Thai licence for 3 months

but you can not apply for an Australia licence using this as proof you have been driving for the last 6 years

My point is I would like to see some of the traffic inspectors drive in down town Thailand at 5 o'clock on wet week day

So again I ask and now one has answered

what make me a better drive because I hold an Australia Licence

and what makes me a worse driver because I have a Thai licence

And if the Thai licence is so bad

why am I allowed to drive for 3 months on it

And this was Juila Gillards fault, how?

Full licences

Renewal requirements

• Pass an eyesight test.
  • Be photographed.

Surrender of old licence

The only thing I can see is, he has not presented his expired Australian Licence, when applying for renewal.

He needs to present his expired Aust. not his Thai licence as proof that he has driven in Aust. in the last 5 years.

Full licences

Renewal requirements

• Pass an eyesight test.
  • Be photographed.

Surrender of old licence

He needs to present his expired Aust. not his Thai licence as proof that he has driven in Aust. in the last 5 years.

I am finding some of the comments unbelievable

we all know what the law is and no one is saying overwise

you have hijacked the reason for this posting

so I will repeat

Why is it Legal for me to drive on a Thai licence in Australia

Bu the same licence is not acceptable for change over to an Australian Licence

1. Because that's the law in Australia; why would you think that Thai law and Australian law would be the same?

2. Because the law is an ass.

3. Why are you making such a mountain out of molehill?

4. Why ask why?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I think bureaucrats have taken over the world. And bureaucracy is their weapon of mass destruction. sad.png

Why, because they earn better pay, have longer holidays, virtually unlimited sick days, have early retirement and better pensions? Then on top of that they get to make you jump through hoops to get anything done while you pay for all their wages and benfits. I think you are just being selfish.

OP, perhaps you have forgotten that Australia is a Socialist Nanny State where the bureaucracy rules, that is never going to change, get used to saying yes sir, yes mam, when can I sctach my butt, how many copies and where do I sign. Kind of reminds me of the bureaucracy over here.

@tezzainoz: "Why is it Legal for me to drive on a Thai license in Australia. But the same license is not acceptable for change over to an Australian License"

'cause that's the law as a Thai license is not from a Recognised Country under RTA NSW legislation - go to

http://www.rta.nsw.g...dcountries.html

EDIT: Why don't you understand the difference between facilitating driving on the roads for temporary visitors to Australia and the law applied to permanent residents/citizens?

Go write to your MP or the relevant ministry if you want to lobby to try and change the legislation.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Competence is irrelevant.

And it has nothing to do with being a Thai licence - even if you move interstate you may only drive on the licence of your former state for up to three months, after which time you must apply for one in your new state of residence.

Yours is a double whammy because you do not have ANY valid Australian licence (including one which expired within the past five years).

You can't move to Melbourne and say 'I'm a good driver because I got a licence in Sydney'. The law STILL says you need to convert it.