Sore Throat - 6 Weeks And Counting

Shoeboat

It comes and goes, some evenings are worse than others, some days I barely notice it - but my uvula is constantly inflamed and lob sided. I know plenty of other people have been complaining of a sore throat recently so there must be some kind of epidemic. Many of them are non smokers so it ain't the cigs. I eat enough fruit and veggies, drink sufficient water that I forever pee clear and I never waste the lime slice on a chicken and rice so what am I doing wrong?

I don't want to go see a doctor because they will just prescribe me an assortment of 14 different pills of varying size and colour which will cost just under a thousand baht and won't do anything except increase my tolerance to antibiotics. Off on holiday to the USA in three weeks, I want to shake it off by then.

Any advice?

I am afraid that the only advice I can give is what you don't want to do. There are some good ENTs who will not just randomly throw multiple antibiotics at you.

Indeed if there is no fever and this has been going on for that long problem may wel be allergy rather than infection.

I am afraid that the only advice I can give is what you don't want to do. There are some good ENTs who will not just randomly throw multiple antibiotics at you.

Indeed if there is no fever and this has been going on for that long problem may wel be allergy rather than infection.

Thankyou. Could you recommend one on/near Sukhumvit that isn't too pricey?

I had a bad throat infection a few weeks a go which i put up with for a while then went to the Memorial Hospital in Pattaya. The doctor there put me on an intravenous drip ! plus a handfull of pills. It cost 3,500 baht but cleared the problem up within a couple of days.

I had a badly infected throat a few weeks ago - went to hospital and the doc gave me Augmentin which worked a treat. Looked at my throat in the mirror with a torch and was very red with white spots - typical throat infection.

Then a couple of weeks later started with a mild cough - was constantly dragging up phlegm and the slight cough wouldn't go away for several weeks. Then I developed a bad sore throat like before so thought it was a re-infection. Started to take Augmentin on my own, but it had no effect on the throat so went to doctor who said my throat was not infected. I couldn't believe her so looked myself and it was not infected. Anyway she gave me a few things to clear up the cough and then the throat went away. The doctor said my throat had become sore through dragging up phlegm over a long period and clearing up the cough let the throat rest to clear up.

Lesson; check your throat yourself with a magnifying mirror and bright torch - to see if it is red or not - if it is then I recommend Augmentin very much - can get from any chemist. Otherwise, you need to clear up the cough first. I seriously doubt that your aversion to antibiotics is going to do more good than harm.

Another lesson, in Thailand just do as the Thai and take antibiotics without visiting a doctor, it often works, especially when you know that in many cases doctors cannot really know if the cause is bacteria or not !

• 2 weeks later...

I had a badly infected throat a few weeks ago - went to hospital and the doc gave me Augmentin which worked a treat. Looked at my throat in the mirror with a torch and was very red with white spots - typical throat infection.

Then a couple of weeks later started with a mild cough - was constantly dragging up phlegm and the slight cough wouldn't go away for several weeks. Then I developed a bad sore throat like before so thought it was a re-infection. Started to take Augmentin on my own, but it had no effect on the throat so went to doctor who said my throat was not infected. I couldn't believe her so looked myself and it was not infected. Anyway she gave me a few things to clear up the cough and then the throat went away. The doctor said my throat had become sore through dragging up phlegm over a long period and clearing up the cough let the throat rest to clear up.

Lesson; check your throat yourself with a magnifying mirror and bright torch - to see if it is red or not - if it is then I recommend Augmentin very much - can get from any chemist. Otherwise, you need to clear up the cough first. I seriously doubt that your aversion to antibiotics is going to do more good than harm.

Augmentin didn't work. Waste of 800 baht, but thanks anyway it was worth a shot.