Info For British Nationals

laura1c

"Global standards, consistent and reliable service'...absolute rubbish, its to save money, 12 Billion squandered in foreign aid and cant spare a few grand for Expats in Pattaya......thats why many have left that sorry place so you can stick the government and its offices where the sun dosnt care to shine.

You don't seem to understand what the purpose of foreign aid is.

It wins contracts, thereby creating demand for British goods and services and safe-guarding British jobs.

"Global standards, consistent and reliable service'...absolute rubbish, its to save money, 12 Billion squandered in foreign aid and cant spare a few grand for Expats in Pattaya......thats why many have left that sorry place so you can stick the government and its offices where the sun dosnt care to shine.

It wins contracts, thereby creating demand for British goods and services and safe-guarding British jobs.

That may be the theory,......sadly some nations abuse it.....they take the "hand-out" then catch the next "charity bus" that comes along......for a lot of people, the word loyalty has no meaning
  • Like 1

What a strange email... He starts by informing us that he hasn't met many people in the British community yet (which he appears to have regrets about), and then, just when I thought he would offer information on what he is doing to address this and telling the recipient how he planned to remedy the situation and make himself more accessible.... instead he basically offers advice to other Brits who may be in the same boat, carefully avoiding any mention of the fact that he won't actually be at any of the events he mentioned. Nicely done Mr. Ambassador... (I'm kinda warming to this guy clap2.gif )

Or to put it another way, corruption!

It is good they are appointing a new Honorary Consul but whoever it is will be on their own, with no base to work from and it appears it will be mostly a ceremonial role which is of no use to local Brits. I could be wrong about this, and I hope I am, but they have made a big mistake in my opinion and local Brits WILL suffer

Cutting ribbons at supermarkets has never been on the agenda. It's more likely that whoever gets the role will be donning running spikes & sprinting between the Hospitals, Police stations & Prison away from the gaze of the general public.

Edited by evadgib

What jobs. We got record levels of unemployment and people living off the benefit system!

• Like 1

It is good they are appointing a new Honorary Consul but whoever it is will be on their own, with no base to work from and it appears it will be mostly a ceremonial role which is of no use to local Brits. I could be wrong about this, and I hope I am, but they have made a big mistake in my opinion and local Brits WILL suffer

Cutting ribbons at supermarkets has never been on the agenda. It's more likely that whoever gets the role will be donning running spikes & sprinting between the Hospitals, Police stations & Prison away from the gaze of the general public.

As I understand it from my sources in the Embassy the Honorary Consul role will revert back to it's traditional role whereby he or she will work no more than 4 to 5 hours a week and will be called upon only in an emergency. It appears that prison visits (which is one of the more interesting and challenging aspects of the role) will be led by Bangkok and consular officers will travel down to Pattaya to visit prisoners.

In a way it is how it should be according to FCO guidelines but Pattaya is used to a Consulate and used to its Honorary Consul's getting stuck in and doing their best to serve the local British Community.

If this is to be the case, it's a real shame.

Thats right and there were WMD in Iraq...............what jobs are created by some African despot receiving millions in aid???. Its a shame that consecutive UK governments are a penny wise and a pound foolish. The service in Thailand has been shrinking and in years to come will barely exsist......Just makes me laugh/cringe at the way they try to smooth it over with the usual dribble like its a positive point.

In a way it is how it should be according to FCO guidelines but Pattaya is used to a Consulate and used to its Honorary Consul's getting stuck in and doing their best to serve the local British Community.

If this is to be the case, it's a real shame.

You're being too modest - and too polite.

Prior to yourself and Barry Kenyon, Brits in Pattaya only knew who previous British Honorary Consuls were when they died and it was mentioned in their Memoriam as if they had done something constructive.

As said elsewhere, the whole thing stinks - "upgrading" one year due to the extra workload, with neither the Honorary Consul nor the full-time Consular Officer being kept on, then less than a year later both the new full-time staff (including a Vice Consul who knew nothing of Pattaya before being appointed) leaving after only doing the job for 6 months, for undisclosed reasons, and now a new Honorary Consul to be appointed, with no open advertising or selection process.

Its not a "shame" - its a farce.

edit: I'd suggest e-mailing comments, etc, to the ambassador at [email protected]

Edited by LeCharivari
  • Like 1

FROM British Embasssy site Bangkok

During the first three weeks of November the British Consulate in Pattaya will open to the public for enquiries and notarial services on Wednesday and Thursday from 09:00 – 11:30. Dates of opening will be 7/8 Nov, 14/15 Nov and 21/22 Nov. After this the Consulate will close.

If you need emergency assistance please telephone the British Embassy in Bangkok on 02 305 8333 and follow the instructions to be put in touch with a staff member who will assist you. If you are in the UK, please call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

A typical bureaucratic statement, proving old information, half truths and good intentions. New and meaningful information is non-existent.

The last time i had dealings with the British Embassy was the reporting of a death of a British national. They screen the helpline calls and just as i was explaining about the death they picked up the phone. All they wanted was to make sure they got his passport back to the embassy.

Nice to on this gravy train.............

• Like 1

Just to save me a trip to Immigration to check, does anyone know how long in advance you can apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement) at Immigration, and how long the Proof of Pension letter from the Consulate is valid for?

The last time I renewed my passport at the Bangkok Embassy they sent me back my old passport and someone else's new passport, so I'd prefer not to send them anything less important such as bank statements, etc, that I might need and they may take less care with.

Given the frequency by which the previous poster has a pop at them why doesn't he offer to fill the vacancy & show them what to do?

The two previous Honorary Consuls did exactly that - filled the vacancy & showed them what to do. As the job is now that will no longer be possible for anyone doing the job: ...The jobholder will work closely with a busy team in Bangkok ... This is a voluntary position with no salary attached and should be a maximum of 4 hours work per week. ... The successful jobholder will be supervised by the British Embassy in Bangkok ... etc.

So what are you saying? the Foreign Aid gift pays for the Contracts? or is it a Bribe to get the Contracts?

"For those travelling to Bangkok from Pattaya we will aim to provide a same day service" seeing will be beleiving in this same day service to Pattaya redidants. Cannot see them pulling the stops out for us or anybody else.

So they will "aim" for a one day service. What if they can't that means an overnight stay in Bangkok just to get a income statement. Even if they could turn around in a day i guess you have to hand the document into the Bangkok office before 10.30 am so it means a very early start to get there on time.

I'm not sure that working out of a shed in soi 5 was an ideal representation of the British Embassey and although I've never been to see either of the guys there I suspect it wasn't viewed favourably perhaps a little adhoc - no insult intended.

If Howard is inclined to helping people here in Pattaya perhaps he will continue the role on his own