Kbank Issues A T M Advisory To Customers

webfact

KBank issues ATM advisory to customers

Phuket Gazette

kb.jpeg

Police hold up 'skimming' equipment found in the rented bungalow of the Bulgarian duo. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Following the arrest of two Bulgarian men for “skimming” customer card details from a Kasikornbank (KBank) ATM in Karon, KBank has issued a statement to the Phuket Gazette calling for all its customers who suspect that their card details have been hacked to contact the bank immediately.

The bank has the authority to temporarily stop the ATM and freeze debit cards or credit cards to avoid any financial loss, Ms Thippawan, a Customer Service Officer at KBank’s head office in Bangkok, told the Gazette.

“Generally, KBank IT staff check the ATM cash withdrawal system from customer accounts daily. If there is anything suspicious, such as an unusually large amount of money transferred in one day, the staff will spot it right away,” said Ms Thippawan.

“Customers should be careful before inserting their cards into an ATM. If you suspect that the ATM has been tampered with or notice external fittings, you should not use that ATM and report it to the bank.”

KBank call center can be contacted at 02-888 8888.

“No matter which branch your account is managed from, the call center staff can help you,” Ms Thippawan added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19351.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-06

Skimmed in Kata Beach, money stolen in Bangkok from another bank's ATM. visited police for multiple reports and permissions to view videos from ATM's. Tried for a year to get my money back and failed. Now moved to Bangkok Bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skimmed in Kata Beach, money stolen in Bangkok from another bank's ATM. visited police for multiple reports and permissions to view videos from ATM's. Tried for a year to get my money back and failed. Now moved to Bangkok Bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kasikorn Bank has unacceptably sh!t security and they REFUSE to reimburse their customers for their own security lapses.

After my card was stolen and used when the signature was NOTHING like mine, they told me I would have to pay. This was after they delayed for 5 months and tried to avoid the issue. When I refused on the grounds that it was the fault of the merchant and their lapse in security, they completely ignored all my emails.

SIMPLY PUT......K-BANK ARE SH!T AND COMPLETELY LACKING IN PROFESSIONALISM.

It will be a cold day in hell before I pay for their incompetence.

K-BANK IS BEST AVOIDED!!

• Like 1

I had same expereience being charged $100 for $10 withdrawal in Indonesia by Bangkok Bank (selected by my employer)

Once I left the job I closed and have had excellent service from Kasikorn,SCB less so but all better than thieving UK charge and mis-sell merchants

money keeps on disappearing on my account on regular basis.... later i found out it was the wife smile.png

Current or former wife? Former I presume.

Yes that is possible, but it is advisable that ATM numbers and other financial detail matters should not be disclosed and be kept private at all times.

I was working in Mexico and they got my info, skimming, and got me for about 1000 us before I stopped my card. I had it open for travel so they let the charges go through even though there were several in a row for the same amount, around 300, I did file a report and they did refund my money but it was a US bank in Louisiana. Regions Bank. They have been prettty good for my intrests in the states. Took just over 2 months to get the money back but I was gone in Mexico for one of those so once I went into the bank and did paperwork it was about 30 days for refund. The ATM where they got me was at a Mall and was sort of inside the bank. It was a pre lobby thing that is just for ATM's. There were 2 ATM's there and one was "Broken" or so the sign said and there was a line to use the one they got me on. I imagine they did a good haul on that day. Got me and two divers I work with and I am sure a lot of others. Always cover the keypad when you type your pin. They may still be able to get you but it limits some of these clowns. Stay safe and travel smart.

• Like 1

money keeps on disappearing on my account on regular basis.... later i found out it was the wife smile.png

This happened to me too until there was very little left. The we got divorced and I came to Thailand. In Thailand I have only lost money here once, and that was a scammer stealing my UK card details in an ATM inside a Tesco. Money was shown to be removed in Russia and Ukraine. I was refunded within two days.

Wonder why he's covering his face in the photo? I mean, if it's such a shameful act to be caught for, then why do it in the first place? Pathetic.

When I worked for a Merchant Bank in the City of London I was told on more than one occasion that sequestering assets was understandable, but being caught doing so unforgiveable. I got the impression that the City could boast of having more crooks than Thailand had bent coppers.

I hesitate to propose that the same condition could be attached to Wall Street but I guess I'd be accused of Yank bashing then.

Edited by Bagwan

As a general rule, Thai banks seem to take the position that their cardholders are responsible for any ATM card fraud -- until AFTER a cardholder contacts the bank to report fraud or suspected fraud.

AFAIK, there are no meaningful consumer protection laws in Thailand for banking transactions, even including cases of fraud where bank employees are the perpetrators.

A couple of years ago I was at work in Queensland when I received a call from my bank here in Australia asking whether I had been in Melbourne that day buying computer equipment on my credit card.

Some a-hole had run up $7000 worth of purchases and had a nice dinner on a copy of my card.

Turned out that my card had been skimmed in Thailand several weeks prior although I had never let it leave my sight. ATM skimmer I suspect.

My bank covered the loss without question.

(The guys were caught .... but from my understanding they're only the end user anyway - ie they had to buy the card)

Is there any photo of the external hardware? I was told some people also install cameras to steal people's pins also. that's why they tell you to totally cover your hand while entering your pin.

Yes the external hardware is in plastic bags in the photo above. In this case there was an numeric keypad overlay which captured the pin numbers so using your hand to cover the keypad was useless.

I would suggest using security-chipped ATM cards as they are difficult to skim.

Sanuk

Edited by sanuk21

I've suggested this before but it bears repetition; Keep an ATM/Debit card with no more than B10,000 in it at any time for casual use in Thailand or any place actually. Set it up so you can top-up conveniently from another account via online banking or ATM.

This way, if your card does get skimmed, your potential losses are limited to no more than is in the card.

Is there any photo of the external hardware? I was told some people also install cameras to steal people's pins also. that's why they tell you to totally cover your hand while entering your pin.

Yes the external hardware is in plastic bags in the photo above. In this case there was an numeric keypad overlay which captured the pin numbers so using your hand to cover the keypad was useless.

Sanuk

My bank just started using those. Do all or most recognize the security chips?

Sanuk

Thai ATMs cannot process “security-chipped ATM cards”.

To use my Belgian debit card in Thailand I had to ask my bank explicitly to allow the use of the magnetic strip instead of the chip.

Among the Thai banks, AFAIK, BKK Bank is the only one offering chip embedded ATM cards. (They also continue to offer non chipped cards).

Their chip cards won't work in all the other Thai bank ATM machines, and even some older BKK Bank ATM machines, last I heard.

The chips on the Bangkok Bank debit cards are just for fantasy.

When I was in Belgium some ATMs refused my Bangkok Bank debit card; some processed it with a mention “Fallback to MagStripe” on the ticket.