Sidestands On Motorcycles

Semper

I wonder why the sidestand on my chopper is too short ?

and what to do about it ?

the leaning means it needs almost twice the parking space

Change to smaller wheels thumbsup.gif

Side Stand on left =

Drive on left so when parked, leans away from traffic.

(Unless you park facing oncoming traffic.)

Edited by IvanLaw

If you drive on the left-hand side, having the side stand on the same side results in the bike tipping away from the flow of traffic when parked parallel with the curb.

The rest of the world is wrong….. biggrin.png 555

Edited by karlos

Side Stand on left =

Tried that, unwillingly when my mechanic put an inch smaller wheel on the back tire,

with the result that my chopper needed 3500 rpm at 90 km/h,

as opposed to 3000 rpm with the appropriate size.

net result - poor fuel economy

Side Stand on left =

Tried that, unwillingly when my mechanic put an inch smaller wheel on the back tire,

with the result that my chopper needed 3500 rpm at 90 km/h,giggle.gif

as opposed to 3000 rpm with the appropriate size.

net result - poor fuel economy

try 'not so wide', instead! A balloon tyre will do, I think!

Edited by noob7

On motorcycles which drive on the left side of the road ( the right or correct side ) as in Thailand the advantage of having the stand on the left side is that the bike falls over easier when parked on a steep cambered road. I think it was sabotage by the wrong side type to justify them driving on the wrong side.

In truth I think the history is that the brake was on the right side on older motorcycles such as BSA Norton Triumph and even the Enfield Bullet and Mini Bullet which I had the pleasure of riding from India to Europe many years ago. It was the japanes that changed the side I think. The stand on the left side enabled one to lower the stand while stopping the bike moving with the brake.

• Like 1

In truth I think the history is that the brake was on the right side on older motorcycles such as BSA Norton Triumph and even the Enfield Bullet and Mini Bullet which I had the pleasure of riding from India to Europe many years ago. It was the japanes that changed the side I think. The stand on the left side enabled one to lower the stand while stopping the bike moving with the brake.

Japanese changed the brake from the right to the right?blink.png

Oh, I remember, on 'older' Guzzi motorcycles, the gearshift was on the right side, the brake on the left.

Japanese changed the brake from the right to the right?blink.png

Oh, I remember, on 'older' Guzzi motorcycles, the gearshift was on the right side, the brake on the left.

I think someone reversed the photo Mr Honda copied from. biggrin.png

Smple really... We are better with coordinating our left foot with a downward pushing motion... Stronger with our right leg... Easier to hold the bike up? Or just clever Japanese marketing... It's the government, it is a conspiracy...

Most people are right handed/footed, I thgink, you're right?

And where is the kick starter in the game?

Only scooter have 'em on the left.

Try to kick start a motorcycles, if it is parked on a side stand on the right side. (Ok, try to picture that)

i mean, a motorcycles, not a dream/wave. Maybe a 500cc single cylinder or a Harley twin, without a side stand on the left

Edited by noob7

I Liked your post Harry cos i think youve a little confused,, every brit bike ive ever had the gearchange was right foot,

52 bsa c10l Enfield bullett,norton dominator,triumph t110,Thunderbird, [slickshift] T21, Bsa Lightning, Trident T150v,

it wasnt till the late 60s/early 70s when the jap invasion started did the gearchange and brake moved places, ie, gearchange to the left foot, as far as i know the prop stand has always been on the left,

And the most stupid side stand of all time has to go to Ducati, as soon as you take the weight of the stand it would flick up, the best inovation so far is the side stand that cuts the engine if you try to move off with it down,

I Liked your post Harry cos i think youve a little confused,, every brit bike ive ever had the gearchange was right foot,

52 bsa c10l Enfield bullett,norton dominator,triumph t110,Thunderbird, [slickshift] T21, Bsa Lightning, Trident T150v,

it wasnt till the late 60s/early 70s when the jap invasion started did the gearchange and brake moved places, ie, gearchange to the left foot, as far as i know the prop stand has always been on the left,

And the most stupid side stand of all time has to go to Ducati, as soon as you take the weight of the stand it would flick up, the best inovation so far is the side stand that cuts the engine if you try to move off with it down,

Ooooooos they must be right. I am getting old.sad.png

Not much better was Honda, with the "using the clutch will swing the stand in", on their VFR's, in the 80/90's

I know a couple of people, who had to learn that the painful way!

I think, that was part of the process, changing from the nice working rubber extensions (that I would like to see on waves and other bikes here) to the stand switch/clutch relay circuit.

I agree with you, older British bikes like the BSA bantam I had had foot brake and gear change positions the opposite of what we now see. It was confusing in the 60's when my mate and I would swap bikes. He had a Yamaha and it always took us a few gear crunches before we got used to the difference.

Edited by Keesters

Craziest mixed up post ever, must be a stunt rider from a parallel universe.