Penang Visa Trip

Me and 4 other guys will be going to Penang for a brief 2 day 'holiday'....

What is generally the best way to go? Da planes are to expensive. We're not averse to driving ourselves, but we are leaning towards the bus as it is virtually the same thing anyway (but with more comfy chairs)

I was wondering what the veterans had to say before we comitted, though - thanks!

What is generally the best way to go? Da planes are to expensive. We're not averse to driving ourselves, but we are leaning towards the bus as it is virtually the same thing anyway (but with more comfy chairs)

I was wondering what the veterans had to say before we comitted, though - thanks!

Skip the bus and take the train. It will take you all the way to Butterworth Station in Malaysia. Then you've got a 10 minute walk to the ferry landing and a short, cheap ride over to Penang.

As I recall you won't arrive quite in time to submit your visa application that same day, so plan to turn it in on the following morning. If your visas are simple, and you beg and plead with the counter-man, he'll often have your visa for you on the following day right before they close up for lunch. This will leave you just enough time to haul-A back to Butterworth to catch the return train.

Don't forget that the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang closes on both Thai and Malaysian holidays.

I went down on the train in 2003 and that is a good way to go but came back on the minivan, we just missed the train. The minivan is fast except we drove around forever trying to fill up the van before splitting town. I like Penang but its more expensive to go out and party than Thailand but they do have some cool clubs. I stayed at the Hong Ping Hotel, a popular small Chinese style hotel.

If you've a big enough car for 5 of you, I'd say drive down. It's not that far and if you're there for 2/3 days you'll be able to go where you like without the hassles of public transport. All you'll need is a translation of your reg. book and your licence. You can purchase Malaysian insurance at the border or in Hadyai. I get mine at the border.

If you've a big enough car for 5 of you, I'd say drive down. It's not that far and if you're there for 2/3 days you'll be able to go where you like without the hassles of public transport. All you'll need is a translation of your reg. book and your licence. You can purchase Malaysian insurance at the border or in Hadyai. I get mine at the border.

I agree with this too. The bus takes forever and then you've got the mini bus from Hat Yai to Penang, which is also unconfortable and sometimes long due to drop offs along the way.

The train is also a drag as you have to get it at 2 in the morning.

The car is the best option and inexpensive if you're sharing ferry, Toll and fuel costs. The road down is easy to navigate and if you leave by 8 you don't have to stay the night in hat Yai. The road down to Penang is like an English/European motorway and has tolls of about 14 Ringit, and the bridge or ferry into Penang is 9 Ringit, but that's a 2 way price...you don't pay when you come back. Get your insurance at the Duty Free in Sadao, and don't forget to get your circulation disk when you've cleared into Malaysia which is a small office right opposite the first car park (on the left) you come to. The office is on the right. Without this disc, your insurance can be declared invalid, and it's free anyway. The translation of your Thai drivers license is available from the traffic circulation office in Surat, as I think they can't do it in the one in Samui.

This way you can either fill in your Visa form at Jims place in Chulia St and have him get it back for you at 12 the following day, or you can drive to the Embassy the next morning. Jim charges hardly anything and he's a good bloke. This way you stay two nights in Penang, and can get back in time for the 7 pm ferry which you can book when you leave.

Edited by steverino