President Obama To Visit Thailand November 18

webfact

Kingdom to host Obama, Wen

PIYANART SRIVALO,

SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE

THE NATION

30193905-01_big.jpg

Newly re-elected US president and outgoing Chinese PM to visit this month

BANGKOK: -- US President Barack Obama and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will visit Thailand late this month to reaffirm their respective regional strategies after the political shake-ups in both Washington and Beijing, government and diplomatic sources said yesterday.

Obama, who was re-elected to the White House for a second term yesterday, will visit the Kingdom on November 18 and meet with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on the day of his arrival.

Obama's visit was scheduled before election day in the US, and officials confirmed the US president had insisted on the visit whether he was re-elected or not. As of yesterday, an official at Government House said his visit was still on, but details had not been finalised.

It remained unknown what issues Obama and Yingluck would discuss during the visit.

Yingluck yesterday congratulated Obama on his victory, saying her government would maintain its policies regarding the US and continue to cooperate with the White House.

The visit to Thailand of President Obama is one leg of his Asian visit, which will also take him to Phnom Penh for the East Asia Summit and related high-level meetings this month.

Washington has made a clear policy during Obama's administration to boost its presence in Asia-Pacific as China's influence grows in this part of the world. To establish a clear presence in the region, Washington has said it wants to increase its military's role in natural-disaster management, proposing that it be allowed to use U-tapao airbase for that purpose. The idea has been intensively discussed on both sides of the political aisle here from time to time.

Meanwhile, Wen is scheduled to visit Bangkok on November 20 after his trip to the summit in Phnom Penh, a diplomatic source said.

Unlike Washington, Beijing has not yet completed the process of changing its leadership, with the incoming line-up due to be approved by the end of this month.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-08

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once, maybe there is justification in Thailand calling itself the "hub" of something. Thailand is the longtime US ally, friend, military pal, etc...Big changes are happening in Burma and China. Thailand makes an excellent base for the US for its SE Asia relations "HQ" so to speak. Keeping China's influence in check at the south, taking advantage of economic opportunities and political opportunities in newly opening Burma, and for other reasons it makes perfect sense.

Look soon for more Americans swarming the streets...cowboy.gif

er..., especially men in black with sunglasses:

770918-us-secret-service-obama-colombia.jpg

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 2

"Obama's visit was scheduled before election day in the US, and officials confirmed the US president had insisted on the visit whether he was re-elected or not.

For once, maybe there is justification in Thailand calling itself the "hub" of something. Thailand is the longtime US ally, friend, military pal, etc...Big changes are happening in Burma and China. Thailand makes an excellent base for the US for its SE Asia relations "HQ" so to speak. Keeping China's influence in check at the south, taking advantage of economic opportunities and political opportunities in newly opening Burma, and for other reasons it makes perfect sense.

Look soon for more Americans swarming the streets...cowboy.gif

er..., especially men in black with sunglasses:

770918-us-secret-service-obama-colombia.jpg

The guy on the left looks very scary to me. Is he from secret service? bah.gif .

Send with Chinese tablet

Edited by sirchai

I hope they have plenty of first-class golf courses! Obama has set a record in rounds-of- golf played during his presidency. I don't think he's going to slow down now.

Actually, the record is held by Eisenhower, who warned the world about people like Mitt Romney and the military industrial complex. You bigots should at least get some facts straight before making ignorant statements. BTW, I'm not an Obama fan. Just against stupidity.

Then I guess you're against all the people that voted for Obama, it's too bad ignorance isn't painfull.

• Like 1

I hope more Americans will come here. Hopefully all the anti-American Europeans will shut up finally about how much they "hate" Americans(translation--bitter jealousy). Just like in Germany, they will smile and pretend to be friendly until the Americans have their backs turned, but at least I won't have so many Eurobigots to contend with.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Even after electing Obama twice, those Europeans with anti-American attitudes will continue to hate America. That sort of jealously and childish nit-picking by the anti-American Euros was one of many motivating factors for me to vote for Romney this time around (I voted Obama in 2008).

Regardless, we're stuck with him for another 4 years. I seriously doubt that this visit will do anything for the US. Then again, Obama doesn't care about the US anyway.

BTW, I wonder where Obama got the Obamaphone idea from? It sure worked well for him in Ohio....

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

I hope they have plenty of first-class golf courses! Obama has set a record in rounds-of- golf played during his presidency. I don't think he's going to slow down now.

Actually, the record is held by Eisenhower, who warned the world about people like Mitt Romney and the military industrial complex. You bigots should at least get some facts straight before making ignorant statements. BTW, I'm not an Obama fan. Just against stupidity.

Actually you are also incorrect.

In the ’50s, Democrats criticized President Eisenhower for his golf hobby while the nation was dealing with the early years of the Cold War. And, even at the rate he’s going, President Obama won’t come close to the surprising 800 rounds of golf Eisenhower played during his eight years in office.

However, the award for most rounds of golf played during a presidency goes to Woodrow Wilson. who, under doctor’s orders, played most days and logged nearly 1,600 rounds of golf during his eight-year run in the White House.

http://tsminteractive.com/president-obama-golf/

• Like 2

Barack: I promise. I DID file my FBARs!

Very happy to see our very internationally popular president Obama visit the LOS.

Really, he is the COOLEST president ever.

The coolest prez ever? You mean "ever" in the last 20 years

That's an interesting question.

I think he is the coolest in my lifetime anyway.

JFK I think was more glamorous than cool. Bill Clinton is almost as cool as Obama.

In history who would be cooler? I really don't know. Teddy Roosevelt seems cool in a retro way.

Barack: I promise. I DID file my FBARs!

Very happy to see our very internationally popular president Obama visit the LOS.

Really, he is the COOLEST president ever.

The coolest prez ever? You mean "ever" in the last 20 years

That's an interesting question.

I think he is the coolest in my lifetime anyway.

JFK I think was more glamorous than cool. Bill Clinton is almost as cool as Obama.

In history who would be cooler? I really don't know. Teddy Roosevelt seems cool in a retro way.

Please pm me.. I want some of what you're smoking. Has to be good stuff.

• Like 1

I'm glad I 4 hours transit at the airport, it's going to be hell on the 18th.

Not just on the 18th. Advance Secret Service teams, and all sorts of other agents from agencies with 3 or more letters will be swarming all over Bangkok a week or more in advance. Luckily, police and army will have a designated route and itinerary (but won't share it much) so hopefully the disruptions will be localized.

wondering if he too will be a victim of racism that goes on in thailand against dark skinners sad.png

hope he puts in a speech which the thai understand that all are equal!

I heard he's bringing Tiger Woods as his interpreter and to break the ice with Thais. smile.png

• Like 1