Monitor Lizards On Phuket

tolsti

I have a herpetologist friend coming over in January for a week and he is especially interested in monitor lizards.

Has anyone any suggestions for an area that has a greater number of these that he can go and see here on Phuket? or maybe a regular sighting near you?

Would appreciate the help as there only seems to be lounge lizards here in Patong!!

Tolsti

Edited by tolsti

I've seen a few here on Koh Phangan. There's a stream that empties into the sea on Maehaad, behind the beach, where I've seen a couple and also when staying at the Siam yoga resort I spotted a big one in and out of the lake that the bungalows surround.

The only place where I've seen one or more (Water) Monitor Lizards every time I've been there is on a tiny island just east of the channel between Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi (the Krabi side). It's a great spot for swimming and a picnic, as are many of the islands in this area.

It's such a small place, it's difficult to get information, however here's a couple of bits I've just taken from the net:

There is nothing at all on the island, and the lizards can be seen around the small areas shaded by trees and rocks. We tend to barbecue every time we're there, and typically feed the lizards rib bones once we've finished with them.

post-62520-0-50515900-1352346841_thumb.j

Edited by pagallim

They are definitely on Phuket also, as I've seen one once next to the road at Khao Kad on Cape Panwa. Behind my house there's a khlong, and I have a few steps that go down to it. A couple of months ago, my dogs were barking outside, seemingly at something in the khlong (they can't get to the khlong because of a fence and gates). When I went to see what it was all about, I found a Water Monitor Lizard actually on the steps to the khlong, so immediately went to get my camera. Unfortunately, when I got back and before I could get a shot off, it slid into the khlong. About the same size at the ones I've seen on Koh Nok (about 1 metre from nose to tip of tail).

Is this fellow what your friend is looking for? I see these almost daily at North East of Phuket.

post-58566-0-60590700-1352347986_thumb.j

Your friend might be interested to see the Phuket Gibbon project at Phaklok as well. They have currently at least one herpetologist volunteer there.

post-58566-0-01016400-1352347955_thumb.j

Btw. There will be butterfly release at the Bang Pae waterfall (next to the Gibbon rehabilitation center) on Saturnday 17 November.

I will also suggest Kata. I had a couple opposite my house for some time but they suddenly disappeared. Maybe in a cooking pot, though a young one appeared in the same spot a couple of weeks back. Also saw one recently crossing Patak Road in the Kata Hills. Not sure if it made it all the way! Also plenty of snakes around.

This lounge lizard took up residence for a few days in the wall near my back door when I lived in Beverley Hills apartments in Patong (off Nanai).

post-18822-0-31175700-1352392412_thumb.j

Spotted a number snakes in the courtyard also, including a good sized cobra one time.

I see them around mangroves.

Sapan Hin, just north of Chalong, and at that restaurant on the back road between Panwa and Chalong (sorry, forget the name but it is right on the tide-water channel)

I've never seen them in the mountains around Phuket.

Only the lowlands.

Good luck. They are here but rare sightings

I was sitting on my terrace enjoying reading this post and didn't think I had much to add to what was already said, but I looked down to my pond and saw a monitor lizard walking across the yard back to the jungle after having breakfast on my talapia and catfish in the pond. This is a daily occurrence here, and fortunately those fish are prolific breeders as it seems that they support a family of lizards as well as sea otters, sea birds, and turtles. I decided to try to snap a photo but as it usually the case when I try to get a picture of the wild life here I am disappointed that it ends up being a dark spot in the middle of the photo. I need to get a good camera with a telephoto lens. Oh well, I'll attach the pic here so you can see the small silhouette of a 2 meter lizard. Some of them up here remind me of Florida alligators as they are longer than I am tall and probably heavier too. I had one come up the hill and end up in my swimming pool one time and i can report that they can stay under water forever, and they don't take kindly to efforts to help them out of the pool. I can report that they also really love chicken eggs and new-born chicks. I've learned that their hide is tough as leather in my efforts trying to protect the chicken house. Despite having them eat my animals, I like having them around.

post-46635-0-80099800-1352512413_thumb.j

Build yourself a "snake stick" and next time you go fishing for lizards in the pool it will be easy. I have been getting about one cobra a week lately with mine.

post-49171-0-06253200-1352698042_thumb.j

I was sitting on my terrace enjoying reading this post and didn't think I had much to add to what was already said, but I looked down to my pond and saw a monitor lizard walking across the yard back to the jungle after having breakfast on my talapia and catfish in the pond. This is a daily occurrence here, and fortunately those fish are prolific breeders as it seems that they support a family of lizards as well as sea otters, sea birds, and turtles. I decided to try to snap a photo but as it usually the case when I try to get a picture of the wild life here I am disappointed that it ends up being a dark spot in the middle of the photo. I need to get a good camera with a telephoto lens. Oh well, I'll attach the pic here so you can see the small silhouette of a 2 meter lizard. Some of them up here remind me of Florida alligators as they are longer than I am tall and probably heavier too. I had one come up the hill and end up in my swimming pool one time and i can report that they can stay under water forever, and they don't take kindly to efforts to help them out of the pool. I can report that they also really love chicken eggs and new-born chicks. I've learned that their hide is tough as leather in my efforts trying to protect the chicken house. Despite having them eat my animals, I like having them around.

Build yourself a "snake stick" and next time you go fishing for lizards in the pool it will be easy. I have been getting about one cobra a week lately with mine.

I enjoyed seeing the photo of you, your snake stick, and your property protector. I think your dog could put up a better battle vs a lizard or a monkey than mine, but my Cookie is a pretty valiant warrior for her size. She’ll tree a lizard of the size of the one that Oilinki showed above, and will chase a monkey off, though I think both the lizards and the monkeys could dispatch her quite easily if it came to a battle.

I’m assuming your stick is actually a noose, right? Are you able to choke the snake to death or do you have to loosen the grip and let it go? In the case of the moniter in my pool, I first tried to hoist him out using the telescoping pool pole with the brush attachment, but I ended up bending and ruining the pole. I was able to weld together a section of angle iron and a length of ¾” pipe and that finally worked in getting him over the edge. I reasoned that the pipe device would have served as a weapon if necessary, but I didn’t fancy the lizard (or me for that matter) bleeding out into the pool. I can report that they’re all teeth and claws when cornered, so a pretty long pole is advisable.

I’ll attach a photo of my little fighting soi dog next to the pool so you can get the picture. The far side of the pool is about a meter above the ground so I’m still amazed that the lizard managed to get into it.

post-46635-0-23363000-1352774532_thumb.j

I enjoyed seeing the photo of you, your snake stick, and your property protector. I think your dog could put up a better battle vs a lizard or a monkey than mine, but my Cookie is a pretty valiant warrior for her size. She’ll tree a lizard of the size of the one that Oilinki showed above, and will chase a monkey off, though I think both the lizards and the monkeys could dispatch her quite easily if it came to a battle.

I’m assuming your stick is actually a noose, right? Are you able to choke the snake to death or do you have to loosen the grip and let it go? In the case of the moniter in my pool, I first tried to hoist him out using the telescoping pool pole with the brush attachment, but I ended up bending and ruining the pole. I was able to weld together a section of angle iron and a length of ¾” pipe and that finally worked in getting him over the edge. I reasoned that the pipe device would have served as a weapon if necessary, but I didn’t fancy the lizard (or me for that matter) bleeding out into the pool. I can report that they’re all teeth and claws when cornered, so a pretty long pole is advisable.

I’ll attach a photo of my little fighting soi dog next to the pool so you can get the picture. The far side of the pool is about a meter above the ground so I’m still amazed that the lizard managed to get into it.

Yes you loosen the pressure on the pull rope to release whichever man or beast you have caught. Your dog is probably much better at catching these critters than mine. So far the score is even...one snake for the dog, and one dog for the cobra. He got bit last month and I figured he was a goner. Very close to complete paralysis. One vial of Cobra anti-venom brought him back to full recovery after about three days. Now, I get him into the house before I enter the battle with my "stick" . It works very well but not easy to secure them near the head. Once you have them though they are doomed...no wiggle room. Sorry to kinda get off track about the lizards though...

post-49171-0-08902200-1352781388_thumb.j

Yes you loosen the pressure on the pull rope to release whichever man or beast you have caught. Your dog is probably much better at catching these critters than mine. So far the score is even...one snake for the dog, and one dog for the cobra. He got bit last month and I figured he was a goner. Very close to complete paralysis. One vial of Cobra anti-venom brought him back to full recovery after about three days. Now, I get him into the house before I enter the battle with my "stick" . It works very well but not easy to secure them near the head. Once you have them though they are doomed...no wiggle room. Sorry to kinda get off track about the lizards though...

Glad your dog made it, and we should swap cobra stories sometime as I have had a couple of extremely close encounters I could share---Maybe at the TV 10th reunion party. Anyway, back to the OP’s original request:

The boy who lives next door to me and raises chickens and ducks decided one day to catch a monitor lizard. He set up a bamboo tripod and balanced a pole on that to which he affixed a cord and a large hook which depended from the pole to a height of about 1/2 meter above the edge of my pond. He baited the hook with a chicken carcass and tied the cord to the fence post. Before too much time went by, a lizard that was practically as big as a Kimono Dragon came by and got himself hooked. That’s when I should have remembered my camera! The beast would struggle until tired and then rest before resuming. This went on for about ½ hour and then he got free and disappeared.

My wife enquired with the boy’s mother about why he would try to catch a monitor and the mother said that the boy’s father had arranged to sell the lizard to people in the nearby Burmese work camp. So if the OP’s herpetologist friend isn’t horrified at the notion of catching one by hook and line, I’m pretty sure the neighbor could be contracted to catch one for a fee.