200 Dogs Saved From Meat Market: Nakhon Phanom

webfact

Good points. However, in reality spaying females is more effective for a number of reasons. Male dogs tend to be migratory and even one unneutered male can "service" many females in a large area, and in a short period of time. Those females can each produce several litters a year, who then in turn will have litters of their own.

Females are more territorial and once a majority (say 70%) of the females in a given neighborhood are sterilized, the population in that area will stagnate or decline, as studies have shown.

If one unneutered dog can service many females surely neutering the dog rather than many bitches would be a more effective way to reduce the number of puppies. And as far as Thai dogs go I don't see them migrating much. I see the same dogs and bitches in the same place year after year. With no links to studies given I'll stick with my choice of "fix the boys".

Sure, neutering the dogs would solve the problem. As long as EVERY dog is neutered.

A single un-neutered male would service every bitch that comes into season in the area.

Dogs are territorial, but with a sniff of a bitch in season, they will move around.

Well of course it would require all male dogs to be neutered.

That is why it is better to try to get owners to have the female dogs spayed. The owners of male dogs rarely care because their dogs cannot have a litter.

If 50% of bitches in the area are spayed, and no males neutered, then that means that 50% cannot have pups

If 50% of male dogs in the area are neutered and no bitches spayed, all the bitches will be covered and all will have pups

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why? It is better that someone eats them than they continue to infest the streets of Thailand. I have to take pepper spray with me when I go out on the bicycle late at night because of the soi dogs... I wish that someone would eat more of them.

Is pepper spray readily available in Thailand?

To be honest, I am getting really nervous about these local dogs. They seem to be getting braver and I am now convinced that they will attack me soon. Now they no longer back off when I wave the stick, but stay just out of reach.

I don't really want to actually hit one as that may well provoke a full blown attack.

Anyway, if more than one attacked, I don't know that a stick would be much of a defence. You only have to see the ferocity when they attack each other.

Interesting that killing and eating most domesticated animals is acceptable but not dogs or cats, at least in western culture. Thailand for some reason has fallen in with western mores on this issue unlike Cambodia, Lao and Vietnam where dog is regularly eaten. I was served dog in Cambodia as a special treat from the lady of the house on my first visit. Luckily there was a (live) dog under the platform who helped me finish the dish proving that dogs are not so loyal after all- at least to each other.

NAKHON PHANOM, Nov 8 -- Some 200 dogs were rescued ..........................

.................... finding dogs crammed into 40 cages, seven to 10 dogs per cage.

A lot must have been dead already.

Since the last big arrest, nobody comes to our village to swap buckets etc for dogs.

This has resulted in the growth of the canine population, larger and more aggressive packs. It's only a matter of time before somebody is seriously injured or killed by these animals. I have to carry a stick with me when I walk to certain areas.

It is not a very nice trade, but at least it helps to control the dog population. Without it, people need to take responsibility for their animals, especially the bitches.

Other then the stick, what are you doing to help? The Pollution Solution Group admits that there is a problem with way to many dogs, If the complainers (Farangs) would get together in each community, (Village) donate, find a vet that will give a good price and start getting them spayed, nurtured, in the meantime give some food and water to keep them friendly rather then a threat...

By reaching out, we can all make a difference...

There is way to many, talking the talk, never walking the walk, be part of the solution and while your out there, if you see any dangers to our Children, Wildlife, Waterways, Soil, remove them, might as well get some needed exercise while your walking the walk...Remember Inner-Wealth must be earned, you can't buy it.

What a wonderful thing, It is never to late to start giving back. Happy trails, "NOW" Is The "ONLY" Time There Is.

Kapun Krup, Mahalo, Thank You

If you give food to a dog, you will never get rid of it.

I have 4 dogs that I give food to, they don't belong to me, but have adopted me.

I understand that dog owners can have their animals spayed for free under a government scheme, but they are too lazy or simply can't be bothered to take advantage of it. The bitch that eats at our house has contraceptive injections arranged by me.

We used to do the contraceptive injections for the numerous cats that were dropped in our yard. Eventually the vet told us we could be creating future health problems for the cats by doing so and suggested having them spayed which is what we do now. I don't know if the vet knew what he was talking about or not but you might want to ask around. And maybe it's different for dogs. It might be better to have her spayed than deal with some kind of cancer down the road.

• Like 2

Let me first say that I love dogs.

However, packs of stray dogs are a problem: the culling of the dogs does of course solve the problem of vicious packs.

Culling the dogs in a manner where they are put to use as food rather than burnt also seems sensible.

Why though do these dogs have to be transported in such conditions, crammed into cages where they can often not stand or barely move. The photo here seems to show one of the more roomy and humane dog collector trucks that have been featured in similar news stories over time. I can only imagine the cruel way in which they dogs are slaughtered at the other end of their journey.

"the culling of the dogs does of course solve the problem of vicious packs." - no "of course" about it - it doesn't - it provides at best, temporary respite.

I should have been more specific I can see. Let me rephrase:

If you cull a particular pack of dogs, that pack of dogs is no longer in existence, hence you have solved the problem of that particular pack of dog.

If another pack of dogs forms, that then is another problem

This is not an "if" but a "when". As soon as a reasonably attractive territory opens up, it will be taken over by another pack. Often packs from neighboring territories will fight over it and thus create more nuisance in the process.

Edited by fstarbkk

If one unneutered dog can service many females surely neutering the dog rather than many bitches would be a more effective way to reduce the number of puppies. And as far as Thai dogs go I don't see them migrating much. I see the same dogs and bitches in the same place year after year. With no links to studies given I'll stick with my choice of "fix the boys".

No problem Keesters. I'm not here to sell you anything. Just sharing some facts and knowledge here, acquired during 8 years working with international and local animal welfare organizations. I'm sure you know better though...

coffee1.gif

Never said I know better. I was just sharing my opinions and observations gained through 20+ years of living in Thailand and having to deal with Soi dogs. I haven't quoted studies then failed to back them up with links.

I don't recall signing anything with TV or you, that obliges me to take time out supply you with links to back up my statements. As such I don't recognize any "failure" to do anything. If you are genuinely interested in the issue, you're welcome to do your own research and educate yourself on the subject.

However, if you're just interested in a p***ing contest, just keep arguing with people who allready gave years to learn about and act on the issue in question.

While you may be correct about the requirements of TV, but I think you'll find it a generally accepted principle here (I'll not give you links as you feel they are not necessary ) that if you're going to quote studies then links to those studies be given. Failure to do so certainly makes me not believe what has been written and consider it bullshit...

Thanks for sharing with us what you think. I'll take that for what it's worth.

wai.gif

However, packs of stray dogs are a problem: the culling of the dogs does of course solve the problem of vicious packs.

Culling the dogs in a manner where they are put to use as food rather than burnt also seems sensible.

Why though do these dogs have to be transported in such conditions, crammed into cages where they can often not stand or barely move. The photo here seems to show one of the more roomy and humane dog collector trucks that have been featured in similar news stories over time. I can only imagine the cruel way in which they dogs are slaughtered at the other end of their journey.

"the culling of the dogs does of course solve the problem of vicious packs." - no "of course" about it - it doesn't - it provides at best, temporary respite.

I should have been more specific I can see. Let me rephrase:

If you cull a particular pack of dogs, that pack of dogs is no longer in existence, hence you have solved the problem of that particular pack of dog.

If another pack of dogs forms, that then is another problem

This is not an "if" but a "when". As soon as a reasonably attractive territory opens up, it will be taken over by another pack. Often packs from neighboring territories will fight over it and thus create more nuisance in the process.

and then that pack could be culled...

We used to do the contraceptive injections for the numerous cats that were dropped in our yard. Eventually the vet told us we could be creating future health problems for the cats by doing so and suggested having them spayed which is what we do now. I don't know if the vet knew what he was talking about or not but you might want to ask around. And maybe it's different for dogs. It might be better to have her spayed than deal with some kind of cancer down the road.

Your vet did indeed know what he was talking about. The same holds true for dogs, who are even more susceptible to reproductive diseases like Pyometra and Canine Transmissible Venereal Tumors. I have heard this from a number of top vets in the field. Unfortunately so far there is nothing more safe and effective than surgical sterilization, albeit expensive.

By the way, a big THANK YOU!!! for being one of the people here actually doing something about the problem of stray overpopulation, instead of merely complaining and speculating about what should be done.

• Like 1

i don't know what the majority of people are on on this post but I cannot believe the inhumane comments that are posted. These - and all other - dogs have a right to life. Yes, there are many dogs in thailand without homes but those that are scared of them (as so many of you seem to be) it is quite simple to deal with them. If a dog or dogs approach you, just your arms wide and make yourselves as big as possible (accept that egos here might be bigger than stature). If that doesn't work, kneel down as if to throw a stone and the dog(s) will retreat (just to be clear as obviously it's an uneducated audience on this thread - no need to throw the stone) . Sad that that is the way to deal with dogs here but that is how it is. Be assured I am not some animal rights do gooder - I have been a corporate CEO of some of the largest corporations where I have on my conscience that not everything I sanctioned was good for the environment but given the dogs that are here, surely they have a right to live - not be smuggled across borders in terrible conditions to be consumed? enough die in Thailand through natural - or unnatural causes - which is the process of evolution, but this is just plain accessory to murder to animals that have no defence

You OBVIOUSLY do not live in a Thai town!

If that is how you feel, what are you going to do about it?

Carolineess - In response to your query about the majority of TV posters, I think they are quite varied in their opinions . . . Those I find objectionable I ignore. I prefer reading those I don't find objectionable although I am often quite entertained by the 'arguments' that develop on TV.

I cannot help but wonder if you're being naive or if you're being sarcastic when you speak of opening your arms wide to keep off a pack of stray Thai dogs! I am not afraid of stray Thai dogs but I have a whole lot of respect for them in their territories and I've found pretty much every side street where I live is guarded by a pack of dogs. At night the territories include the main roads. I've found walking with a stick is the most effective way of getting past them and I don't threaten them with the stick, I just walk with it. In my early days here I walked without a stick and was often circled by the various packs as I walked through their territories. Those were not enjoyable walks and I was not comfortable. Riding my bike was worse than walking . . . and I am disappointed my bike riding days are over, however, as I've not learned how to ride a bike and carry a stick at the same time, I'm afraid they are.

This is Thailand. It is different here. If I live to be a thousand I know I will never know the Thai culture . . . just as Thais will never know my culture. I arrived here thinking the police would help us when neighbors were threatening us . . . surprise, surprise!

I don't think that many dogs are being smuggled across Thai borders. Some, maybe, but I think most are probably being consumed right here in Thailand. Thais like to "save face" among Westerners and I think that's why Thais like putting dog & cat eating on their neighbors . . . it's either the Burmese, the Lao, the Khmer or Vietnamese . . . but it's never the Thais . . .

My husband's cousin always worried about the fat cats we had that would lay on our fence walls . . . he was afraid someone would steal them to eat. We're nowhere near Lao, Myanmar, or Campuchea.

The "process of evolution", as you refer to dogs demise in Thailand is a lot of disease . . . where the dogs bear little resemblence to dogs anymore; poisoning, which in my Western view is a horrendous thing to do to even a rat! rabies, another reason to carry a stick while walking, and irate Thais who punish the family dog with a machete, hot oil or a frying pan when the hungry dog gets too close to the stove.

Just as there are a variety of people on this post, so are there a variety of Thais. I've found those who treat animals cruelly also treat human beings cruelly. I've known Thais to be as protective of animals as many Westerners are and I know Thais who are decent people but do not elevate animals to the stature most Westerners do. It doesn't mean they're cruel . . . it's a totally different culture.

I am a dog lover, love cats too . . . It breaks my heart when I see pick-up trucks loaded with dogs that appear to me to look like they know what's in store for them . . . and I know it's my imagination working overtime but the fear in their eyes destroys me a little more every time I see it. One such truck stops often at a noodle stand in front of the police station . . . Thailand is different . . . there is no SPCA to call . . .

I have never been a corporate CEO of any corporation and I am thankful I haven't any atrocities like that to haunt me . . . so maybe it would be wise to look at those questionable environmental issues that seem to remain on your mind before judging Thai Visa's posters attempting to deal with Thailand's dog problems. Don't stick with the inane comments, read those that are trying to come up with viable solutions. It may take you out of the uneducated audience.

"i don't know what the majority of people are on on this post but I cannot believe the inhumane comments that are posted. These - and all other - dogs have a right to life. Yes, there are many dogs in thailand without homes but those that are scared of them (as so many of you seem to be) it is quite simple to deal with them. If a dog or dogs approach you, just your arms wide and make yourselves as big as possible (accept that egos here might be bigger than stature). If that doesn't work, kneel down as if to throw a stone and the dog(s) will retreat (just to be clear as obviously it's an uneducated audience on this thread - no need to throw the stone) . Sad that that is the way to deal with dogs here but that is how it is. Be assured I am not some animal rights do gooder - I have been a corporate CEO of some of the largest corporations where I have on my conscience that not everything I sanctioned was good for the environment but given the dogs that are here, surely they have a right to live - not be smuggled across borders in terrible conditions to be consumed? enough die in Thailand through natural - or unnatural causes - which is the process of evolution, but this is just plain accessory to murder to animals that have no defence"

I'm sorry but this kind of well-meaning but toally banal attitude does nothing but make the problem worse for both dogs and people.

I'm not a great fan of slaughtering dogs, but I AM great fan of cutting off their food supply - e.g. garbage and do-gooders.

How do you think most soi dogs die? in a bed surrounded by their family? they die grotesque and pianful deaths and so often that agony is prolonged by people who think that by feeding these creatures they are helping. prolonged

Tips on how to deal with these dogs just shows how unaware this above poster is of the social and health problems they pose, which are way above and beyond growling at the occasional mendicant or foreigner.

Edited by cowslip

Bookman...they're clubbed to death.

Bookman...they're clubbed to death.

Yes, i imagined it was something similar.

Well I can confirm that where I live there are (significantly more dogs (on the roads)) and that it is more dangerous to walk, or drive. 24 years ago when I moved into my current house everyone said why are you moving SO FAR out of the city. Now this area is considered city center.

I stay in the countryside in villages with only 1000- 2000 people. I never see or smell dog pee or feces.

There is much place where the dogs can do that without I can easy recognize that.

perhps a bit of common sense and respect for your environment in place of the sentimentality?

I live in communities where there are feces and pee stains no problem, in rural country side

and where do we need now to take care of your,

"Respect for my environment?"

Do you say that also to the farmers in the villages I stay who bring their cows

and water buffalo every day to different places outside the village, to graze

and leave their feces, day by day their big "shit donuts" and pee stains, lot of it, on the paved roads which go in

and out from the village and threw the village?

Maybe tell the "Cowboys" and Owners, to keep the roads tidy! Ha, ha.

That are many shitty donuts I see and have to take care off, when i drive with car threw rural Isaan's country roads.tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I would like to share my comment as a Thai person who has been actively involved as an animal rescuer both in Thailand and USA.

I have been an animal rescuer since I was a child. Every body in my family in Thailand is also an animal rescuer. We were influenced by our parents who brought us up to be kind to those poor street animals (Dog and cats). We have rescued street dogs and cats off streets for hundreds of dogs for almost 50 years. We took them to be spayed and neutered and to have them vaccinated against Rabies and any necessary shots if they are ills or injured. After those dogs have been in our care, we do not let them roam freely to cause nuisance to neighbors which unlike most Thai people who let their dogs run around frighten people.

There was one time we had almost thirty dogs lived at my parents 4 (Kooha) store. surprisingly those former street dogs tended to keep off streets after having been rescued, but they formed a pack to attack any poor stray dogs passing by but we did not let them to bully other strays though.

Most Thais do not care less of street dogs and cats and they even dump their own puppies and kittens at wats when there are too many to take care. Many of Thai pet owners have this stupid belief that spay and neuter dogs and cats are sinful. Another stupid belief is cats are meant to roam outdoor freely. Un-neuterd and un-spayed females and male cats are allowed to roam outdoor freely. There are many complaints about stench smells of cat feces and strong urine odor around neighbor homes.

There are a few Thai small rescue groups formed together to go to various wats and public schools in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand, to discreetly do mass spay and neuter street dogs and cats. The expenses come from people's donations, auctions, selling items donated by charities from people and fund drives events. Recently I was in Thailand, I was a volunteer at one of a Thai cats rescue group to help rescue street cats and help with adoption events.

These non profits small animal rescue groups work hard to help those street dogs and cats which are not able to fend for themselves.

Thank you.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 1

Your vet did indeed know what he was talking about. The same holds true for dogs, who are even more susceptible to reproductive diseases like Pyometra and Canine Transmissible Venereal Tumors. I have heard this from a number of top vets in the field. Unfortunately so far there is nothing more safe and effective than surgical sterilization, albeit expensive.

By the way, a big THANK YOU!!! for being one of the people here actually doing something about the problem of stray overpopulation, instead of merely complaining and speculating about what should be done.

I would do something about the dogs that roam our area day and night, but their owners would no doubt complain.

Interesting that killing and eating most domesticated animals is acceptable but not dogs or cats, at least in western culture. Thailand for some reason has fallen in with western mores on this issue unlike Cambodia, Lao and Vietnam where dog is regularly eaten. I was served dog in Cambodia as a special treat from the lady of the house on my first visit. Luckily there was a (live) dog under the platform who helped me finish the dish proving that dogs are not so loyal after all- at least to each other.

Dogs loyal to other dogs, LOL. When Amunsen went to the south pole, he got there by feeding dogs to the remaining ones. They could have been eating their family, but they just wanted to eat.

Scott, on the other hand, lost the race and his ( and his team's ) life by not wanting to use dogs because of good ol' British love of dogs.

Why? It is better that someone eats them than they continue to infest the streets of Thailand. I have to take pepper spray with me when I go out on the bicycle late at night because of the soi dogs... I wish that someone would eat more of them.

Is pepper spray readily available in Thailand?

To be honest, I am getting really nervous about these local dogs. They seem to be getting braver and I am now convinced that they will attack me soon. Now they no longer back off when I wave the stick, but stay just out of reach.

I don't really want to actually hit one as that may well provoke a full blown attack.

Anyway, if more than one attacked, I don't know that a stick would be much of a defence. You only have to see the ferocity when they attack each other.

I haven't experienced an actual mass attack ( yet ), but when a single dog attacks me, I stop my bike and chase it till it retreats into it's home where it's humans will protect it. So far, the dogs I chase haven't reoffended.

In the event of an actual attack, my stick is pointed at one end, so that while they may get me, they won't be unwounded.

I would like to share my comment as a Thai person who has been actively involved as an animal rescuer both in Thailand and USA.

I have been an animal rescuer since I was a child. Every body in my family in Thailand is also an animal rescuer. We were influenced by our parents who brought us up to be kind to those poor street animals (Dog and cats). We have rescued street dogs and cats off streets for hundreds of dogs for almost 50 years. We took them to be spayed and neutered and to have them vaccinated against Rabies and any necessary shots if they are ills or injured. After those dogs have been in our care, we do not let them roam freely to cause nuisance to neighbors which unlike most Thai people who let their dogs run around frighten people.

There was one time we had almost thirty dogs lived at my parents 4 (Kooha) store. surprisingly those former street dogs tended to keep off streets after having been rescued, but they formed a pack to attack any poor stray dogs passing by but we did not let them to bully other strays though.

Most Thais do not care less of street dogs and cats and they even dump their own puppies and kittens at wats when there are too many to take care. Many of Thai pet owners have this stupid belief that spay and neuter dogs and cats are sinful. Another stupid belief is cats are meant to roam outdoor freely. Un-neuterd and un-spayed females and male cats are allowed to roam outdoor freely. There are many complaints about stench smells of cat feces and strong urine odor around neighbor homes.

There are a few Thai small rescue groups formed together to go to various wats and public schools in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand, to discreetly do mass spay and neuter street dogs and cats. The expenses come from people's donations, auctions, selling items donated by charities from people and fund drives events. Recently I was in Thailand, I was a volunteer at one of a Thai cats rescue group to help rescue street cats and help with adoption events.

These non profits small animal rescue groups work hard to help those street dogs and cats which are not able to fend for themselves.

Thank you.

First of all, I applaud your many years of dedication to the betterment of the lives of strays! I too have spent years with a local organization in Bangkok who was dedicated to the same goal.

Unlike some other groups we put a heavy focus on CNTR (Catch Neuter Treat and Release) campaigns, as we found we could achieve more in the long term by using our very limited resources this way, instead of sheltering, which is very expensive and statistically a losing battle in a place with such a large population.

By partnering with local communities, we were able to demonstrate that their areas could effectively be "rehabilitated". This also provided noticeable improvements in the quality of life for the residents in those communities, since their animals were fewer, calmer and healthier and stemmed the influx of other animals into the area effectively.

In addition to the direct work we did with the animals, we also connected with many kind-hearted community carers who, with a little bit of information and support, were amazingly effective in maintaining the gains we had achieved together.

There are many caring Thais in every community. Unfortunately, they often lack the information and resources to be really effective on their own. To get one single animal neutered by a local vet exceeds the financial resources of many of these good people. So they often limit their efforts to feeding as many strays as they can afford. This of course can be very counterproductive as animals with a full belly tend to have more frequent and larger litters.

Sadly, my organization (SCAD Bangkok) was unable to carry on its work after the devastating demands created by last year's flood catastrophe. But there are some groups who carry on this mission like Lanna Dog in Chiangmai, PAWS Bangkok and Soi Dog Foundation in Bangkok and Phuket just to mention a few.

These groups have effective strategies to make a real difference within their limited financial means. But with enough support they can also lobby local and national government agencies to launch/ re-instate similar campaigns on a much broader scale.

So, I appeal to everyone who is genuinely concerned (or annoyed) by the stray situation in Thailand to seek out and support these groups for the sake of the animals as well as the communities they live in.

I would do something about the dogs that roam our area day and night, but their owners would no doubt complain.

No way to know unless you try. Can't see the harm in talking with your neighbors. Or you might contact Soi Dog Foundation or one of the other organizations for advice and support.

That being said, I expect that there will always be free roaming dogs in Thailand in our lifetime. The best achievable outcome are communities where dogs are not an active nuisance or threat to the human population. If completely dog-free streets are your objective, I suggest northern Europe or the US as better places to live.

Edited by fstarbkk

Faeces and pee. Even when you can't see or smell it you can test any piece of land and on it you'll find harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites that are the let overs of dog and "pet" waste.

Your house and garden can be literally smeared with an invisible layer of danger - on the lawn, in the soil or in your water supply.

This is also a problem in public places where people put young kids to play on the grass or ground and their hands come into contact with this "invisible" stuff. ........then they put their hands in their mouths...

Bacteria can cause cramps, diarrhoea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans, and of course the stuff is washed down drains and flushes untreated into the sea.

Dog faeces and urine are yet another threat to our fresh water supply.

Unlooked after dogs are a threat to your pets as well as yourself - "The eggs of roundworms and other parasites can linger in your soil for years. Anyone who comes into contact with that soil—be it through gardening, playing sports, walking barefoot or any other means—runs the risk of coming into contact with those eggs; especially your dog. "

Edited by cowslip

Nong Prue Amphur do have staff that will respond to complaints about dogs in the Moo Baan. The catch is they require agreement from a few Thais in the Moo Baan that they are a nuisance. The Thais agree in conversation they are annoying but will not confirm with the Moo Baan people when they visit. They take the Thai approach & poison the dogs when they run out of patience. This has happened to a few dogs owned by foreigners who let their dogs out of the house to wander the area pissing, defecating and triggering constant barking from the other dogs.

Those dog owning foreigners are about as stupid as the Thais who won't backup their complaints with the Moo Baan people. Dogs should be kept behind a closed gate. When they need exercise take them out for a leashed walk or to a deserted beach/field for a run. Pick up any poop disposing of it properly when you get back home. Any dog, Thai or Farang owned, seen wandering the streets, pissing and defecating everywhere, is free game for the dog catchers/nappers.

If you can't be bothered to act responsibly towards your dog then you shouldn't have one. You all know it makes sense and just because you can "get away with it" here is no excuse to act that way.

agreed.

Packs - I'm not sure if posters are aware of the threat from PACKS of dogs.

Dogs on their own or in SMALL groups behave quite differently from packs of dogs. It is well demonstrated that at a certain point when the pack is big enough a completely different set of "instinctive" behaviours cut in and the difference is quite dramatic...i.e. the dogs become far more aggressive.

Many pet owners or breeders have experienced this and are surprised to be attacked by dogs they have known for years that suddenly become aggressive when part of a big enough group.

You will also notice different behaviour in dogs depending on weather and yime of day. in the hottest part of the day dogs like to conserve energy by sitting in the shade, as the day cools driven by hunger etc they start to scrounge and at this point often form groups or packs. Dogs that would readily flee a "pretend" thrown stone now become relatively fearless.

Now what are they going to do with them? I wouldn't be surprised if they vast majority of them are put-down in the end anyway.

Exactly. Do people think they're going to find loving homes now? This is an absurd article - dogs being saved? Saved from being eaten then put down.

Put them down or eat them? Better they get eaten and serve some purpose.

Faeces and pee. Even when you can't see or smell it you can test any piece of land and on it you'll find harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites that are the let overs of dog and "pet" waste.

Your house and garden can be literally smeared with an invisible layer of danger - on the lawn, in the soil or in your water supply.

This is also a problem in public places where people put young kids to play on the grass or ground and their hands come into contact with this "invisible" stuff. ........then they put their hands in their mouths...

Bacteria can cause cramps, diarrhoea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans, and of course the stuff is washed down drains and flushes untreated into the sea.

Dog faeces and urine are yet another threat to our fresh water supply.

Unlooked after dogs are a threat to your pets as well as yourself - "The eggs of roundworms and other parasites can linger in your soil for years. Anyone who comes into contact with that soil—be it through gardening, playing sports, walking barefoot or any other means—runs the risk of coming into contact with those eggs; especially your dog. "

Not forgetting the beaches in Thailand with many dogs that defecate etc. Full list of dog to human disease transmission at: http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/zoonoses_dogs.aspx

One is Gnathostoma spinigerum. Most human infections occur in Thailand and other Asian countries. The larvae may cause eosinophilic meningitis.