Hillary Clinton Due To Step Down As Secretary Of State Within 'days'

webfact

Hillary Clinton due to step down as Secretary of State within 'days' of start of Barack Obama's second term

By TOBY HARNDEN

WASHINGTON: -- Hillary Clinton will step down as U.S. Secretary of State within 'days' of President Barack Obama's second inauguration in January, her spokesman said today.

Her long-respected departure is expected by most Democrats to be a prelude for a White House run in 2016, when she will be 69.

The top candidate to replace her is believed to be Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the losing 2004 Democratic presidential nominee.

He is viewed as a more likely pick that Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, because of her widely-criticised appearance on Sunday talk shows in which she insisted that spontaneous deomonstrators in Benghazi had killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.

Other possibilities include Tom Donilon, the National Security Adviser, David Petraeus, CIA director, Chuck Hagel, a Vietnam veteran and former Republican senator, Samantha Power, an Irish-born former journalist, and William Burns, Clinton's deputy.

'The Secretary has been honoured to serve as President Obama's Secretary of State, and has loved every minute of leading this Department and being part of the State family,' Philippe Reines, a Clinton spokesman, said in an email to the 'Weekly Standard'.

He added: 'She has said that she wants to ensure continuity, and realises the confirmation of her successor might take a period of days beyond that.'

Full story: http://www.dailymail...econd-term.html

-- Mail Online 2012-11-09

footer_n.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I hate to see Secretary Clinton leave - her tireless efforts to effectively manage many difficult and challenging relations and conflicts have been incredible - Bill Burns should be the next Secretary of State, and he will do a great job.

Holder now Hillary?

Folks often complain that other countries let sizeable things

slide for sizeable select people.

No idea what this means but it is not unusual for there to be significant turnover on the second term, have a look at President George W. Bush's cabinet over his two terms.

Resigning won't save her from Benghazi. She will still have to face it sooner or later.

Umm, earth to chuck . . . she has already taken responsibility - though there was nothing that could have been done, realistically. Oh, sorry to bring realism into it.

I doubt she will run, actually I hope she doesn't. She is far too polarising a person and won't win the dems an election

Frankly it's not whether she runs or not, but who would run against her.

The GOP have got to try and prove itself as being more accessible and sympathetic to females, the black and latino electorate, gays and so on, when they still have a significant proportion of loud and angry extremists that really end up painting the whole GOP in a bad light.

This from a Republican strategist on Fox who worked for GW: "Values have changed in our country and they need to change in our party".

And she is a young white woman.

Edited by Chicog

With all the bad news the USA has received in the past few days such as the SANDY Storm and Barrack Obama being awarded a second term as President, at least now they received some good news with Hillary leaving. I am sure it will look like the Ace Ventura Pet Detective party they gave at the Monastery when Ace left.

This has nothing to do with the manufactured gate. It has been well known for many months now that Hillary is tired of the secretary of state job and wants to move our and on. She has been mentioned for the supreme court and she is qualified of course but for political reasons might not get confirmed. Whether or not she wants to be president in 2016 is one of those mysteries.

Edited by Jingthing

Resigning won't save her from Benghazi. She will still have to face it sooner or later.

yes she has taken responsibility for it, and the more that comes out the more tarnished she will become.

I think on more than one level she's doomed never to be President.

69 years old. That was about the same age as Reagan was when he was president.

I'd vote for Hillary at 69. Of course I am not American

Would the public hold it against her is she freshened up her image at the plastic surgeons? I don't think they would. The question is will she have the desire and energy to go for this in 2016 or not?

yes she has taken responsibility for it, and the more that comes out the more tarnished she will become.

This is a NON issue for her presidential prospects. It's a manufactured Fox News fake gate and the majority of the New America, the America that gave Obama a massive victory know that full well. I find it beyond hilarious that people seriously think people will be talking about this Fake Gate coming election time 2016. Even if it was a real Gate, American's political memory is two weeks MAX. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Is this your new focus now that Willard Romney, Akin and Mourdoch were repudiated by the American electorate?

Secretary Clinton has faced the Benghazi fallout since day 1 and she has not run away from it. On the other hand, General Petraeus, the darling of the Republican party has been lying low for quite some time. I think he will have to answer for his agency's actions long before anyone at State or the WH can be "blamed".

You can't have it both ways...........she threw herself in front of a bus to save Obama from the flack during the election campaign, her mea culpa was absolute. As information comes out then it's down to her to answer for it.

Trying to deflect this to Patraeus won't work.

69 years old. That was about the same age as Reagan was when he was president.

I'd vote for Hillary at 69. Of course I am not American

Would the public hold it against her is she freshened up her image at the plastic surgeons? I don't think they would. The question is will she have the desire and energy to go for this in 2016 or not?

Hard to say 4 years out, but i would think the desire is there and strong and would be in 4 years still. The energy needed for a couple of years campaigning would be tough.

This is a NON issue for her presidential prospects. It's a manufactured Fox News fake gate and the majority of the New America, the America that gave Obama a massive victory know that full well.

She admitted responsibility and you say it's manufactured by Fox News?

That's an oxymoron Jingthing.

• Like 1

This is a NON issue for her presidential prospects. It's a manufactured Fox News fake gate and the majority of the New America, the America that gave Obama a massive victory know that full well.

She accepted responsibility as those matters fell under her office. That is what ALL great American LEADERS do. We say: The Buck Stops Here and she said it, later Obama correctly said, no the buck stops with him. Americans eat that stuff up. It's political GOLD. She didn't admit GUILT. There is a BIG difference. With all the huge problems America faces, the Fake Gate rates very low in priority, again, except to Fox News programmers.

Hillary Clinton is, and remains, one of the MOST popular political figures in America today (probably the TOP woman), and the fake gate thing does nothing to dent that. There are always the core of Hillary demonizers, they will never change, so politically of no concern to her if she chooses to run later.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Benghazi "gate" is based on Fox LIES that the Whitehouse denied resources during the event.

I actually don't think Hillary will come out of it that badly, but the CIA will for having too much faith in a mickey mouse and probably corrupted Libyan security apparatus.

You would have thought they would have learned from Pakistan and the ISI harbouring Osama that you cannot trust such bodies.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

This is a NON issue for her presidential prospects. It's a manufactured Fox News fake gate and the majority of the New America, the America that gave Obama a massive victory know that full well. I find it beyond hilarious that people seriously think people will be talking about this Fake Gate coming election time 2016. Even if it was a real Gate, American's political memory is two weeks MAX.

Nothing fake about four guys getting killed when they asked for additional help weeks in advance, and were ignored.

• Like 2

@Jingthing

Great Leadership is not exclusive to the US, we are all aware of the "Buck Stops Here" story.

Clinton has put herself on the hook. It'll be interesting to see if any compelling evidence comes out to reel her in. If it does, note I said if, she's in serious trouble.

Anyway, I reckon it's a moot point, I have a hunch that she won't be physically up to running for the Presidency, she looks shattered already, what will she be like in 3 or 4 years?.

I think Mrs Clinton may decide enough is enough and retire.

Edited by theblether

OK, I guess John Kerry won't replace Hillary at state. That would open up a probability of republican Scott Brown taking his senate seat away. Not acceptable and not worth it. I think Kerry is underrated though but I'm biased because I experienced his leadership personally in his Vietnam war protest days. Oh well.

OK, I guess John Kerry won't replace Hillary at state. That would open up a probability of republican Scott Brown taking his senate seat away. Not acceptable and not worth it. I think Kerry is underrated though but I'm biased because I experienced his leadership personally in his Vietnam war protest days. Oh well.

Kerry's leadership and experience is needed in the senate. He will have other responsibilities just as important. This is a man that when called upon to serve his nation, does so.