Hillary Clinton Due To Step Down As Secretary Of State Within 'days'

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barring bad health and/or a rising superstar in the Democrat party, she will definetly run for president in 2016. And even though I'm a Republican, she would have made a better president than Obama.. We are royally screwed over the next 4 years. I just read a story that there are now approx. 25 million Americans out of work, and approx. 35 million Americans on welfare. That equals the whole country of Thailand. The stock market has been taking a nose dive like that hasn't been seen since the mid 80's. We're screwed.

• Like 1

The thing about Hillary Clinton LOOKING tired, well, yes, she does. She's older. That doesn't mean she is necessarily through with politics.That's why I think if she wants to run, go for the surgery. The public would mock a male leader for doing that, but a woman can.

Edited by Jingthing

To put it bluntly, I don't think she has the energy left to do the job now, and I doubt very much she will have energy to do the job in four years time.

Some people should learn to retire when they are at the top, if she retired now she will have transmuted herself from being a smart-ass harridan into being a national treasure for many.

Maybe she didn't break the glass ceiling for women, but surely it was a privilege for her to support ( in the end ) and see the election of the first black President.

It's all just waffle and guesswork now anyway, the other election has just declared and already we're talking about the next race.

Time to give it a rest methinks.

For American political junkies, talk about the next presidential hopefuls ALWAYS starts on the day after the last election. Since these elections last two years now, it really isn't that early. The top hopefuls like Rubio have already started maneuvering in IOWA.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/item/Presidential-hopefuls-2016-12685.php

Edited by Jingthing

She has been mentioned for the supreme court and she is qualified of course...

How so? Or did you just mean in terms of constitutionally mandated requirements rather than necessary attributes ad experience? But hey, in terms of constitutionally mandated requirements you and I are qualified too -- so I guess you mean her stellar legal career a few decades back and her legislative experience in the senate?

The thing about Hillary Clinton LOOKING tired, well, yes, she does. She's older. That doesn't mean she is necessarily through with politics.That's why I think if she wants to run, go for the surgery. The public would mock a male leader for doing that, but a woman can.

Yeah, just look what it's done for Nancy Pelosi.wink.png

To put it bluntly, I don't think she has the energy left to do the job now, and I doubt very much she will have energy to do the job in four years time.

Some people should learn to retire when they are at the top, if she retired now she will have transmuted herself from being a smart-ass harridan into being a national treasure for many.

Maybe she didn't break the glass ceiling for women, but surely it was a privilege for her to support ( in the end ) and see the election of the first black President.

It's all just waffle and guesswork now anyway, the other election has just declared and already we're talking about the next race.

Well, she got a lot closer to being POTUS than a woman has ever gotten. So maybe can be said to have broken the ceiling. Or a ceiling.

To date, Nancy Pelosi was when speaker still the most powerful woman in American history until a woman is elected president.

On Hillary, if forced to make a bet, I would bet she WILL run.

To date, Nancy Pelosi was when speaker still the most powerful woman in American history until a woman is elected president.

Sure. But has Pelosi come anywhere near attaining the Presidency? Could she? No and no. So that's what I mean about Hilary having done what no woman ever has.

Well, she got a lot closer to being POTUS than a woman has ever gotten. So maybe can be said to have broken the ceiling. Or a ceiling.

Yes she has broken a ceiling.....she has to get credit for that, however that's maybe as far as he she feels she can go. I just get the impression she's not up for it.

Anyway, the Republicans will be on the search for a bright young thing this time...........I don't think anyone really fancied taking on Obama at this election, the contenders next time should be ( note I said should be ) of a better calibre.

Not sure my reasons are reasonable, but I've never really liked Hilary and considered her an opportunist. By that, I mean she didn't pay her dues on her own merits to be able to run for senate and win. She gained her popularity by being the most famous wife, and using that platform as her springboard.

Yes, I know, all politicians are opportunists, and why should it matter? Certainly, Hilary has the academic qualifications, now has all the experience required to run for President, and democrats love her. Men appreciate how she did not break Bill's balls over Lewinsky, and that may be because either she is: 1) a forgiving wife; 2) resigned to years of indiscretions?; or 3) a calculating opportunist knowing her political future would be best served by acting in this way.

Yeah, I've read how she sublimated her early career plans to follow Bill to bumfuk Arkansas so he could be the political star, but somehow I'm not so sure. Does she have convictions and would she make a good President? sure.

But, somehow she still leaves a bad taste in my mouth..., not unlike Monica Lewinsky. laugh.png

What presidential ceiling did Hillary break? She wasn't even nominated. She broke the ceiling of being EXPECTED to be nominated but not nominated? She certainly wasn't the first woman to RUN for the presidential nomination in a major party.

Why be willfully obtuse over such a trivial point? She was the first woman who was not only a viable candidate but was seen as having a very real chance of becoming president.

Not sure my reasons are reasonable, but I've never really liked Hilary and considered her an opportunist. By that, I mean she didn't pay her dues on her own merits to be able to run for senate and win. She gained her popularity by being the most famous wife, and using that platform as her springboard.

Yes, I know, all politicians are opportunists, and why should it matter? Certainly, Hilary has the academic qualifications, now has all the experience required to run for President, and democrats love her. Men appreciate how she did not break Bill's balls over Lewinsky, and that may be because either she is: 1) a forgiving wife; 2) resigned to years of indiscretions?; or 3) a calculating opportunist knowing her political future would be best served by acting in this way.

Yeah, I've read how she sublimated her early career plans to follow Bill to bumfuk Arkansas so he could be the political star, but somehow I'm not so sure. Does she have convictions and would she make a good President? sure.

But, somehow she still leaves a bad taste in my mouth..., not unlike Monica Lewinsky. laugh.png

I think your points are reasonable regardless if they may be somewhat influenced by sentiment rather than pure reasoned analysis. However, keep in mind she was a brilliant lawyer and a key player on the team of one of the great politicians of the modern era. She did some real work as a governor's wife. These are as much or more qualifications than some senator's have had and after becoming senator, she is generally regarded as having done well at it. Now four years as Sec State...I

How do you feel about RFK?

I loved both JFK, and RFK, but again, I think mostly for sentimental reasons. Did the orgies with Frank Sinatra's babes and Marilyn Monroe dampen my enthusiasm? Not at all. But, I guess those were different times.

Regarding RFK, and nepotism, sure you are right. Jack put his bro in one of the nation's most powerful positions, and he turned out to be very good at it. That is also my point with Hilary. Regardless of how she got there, she is very competent.

Really no point to my ramblings this morning except to say I don't personally care for Hilary.

Regarding RFK, and nepotism, sure you are right. Jack put his bro in one of the nation's most powerful positions, and he turned out to be very good at it. That is also my point with Hilary. Regardless of how she got there, she is very competent.

My point as well.

Anyway, fair enough. What regard I have for her is based primarily on the way she competently handled herself in the senate (in particular the was she was reportedly humble and did not act entitled or as if she was anything other than a newbie) and as a Sec State. I also think she's extremely smart and strong.

Having said that, I'm not exactly crazy about her and don't necessarily want to see her as POTUS.

Jon Huntsman makes great sense as Hilary's replacement. He's a Republican, which might help Obama offering an olive leaf to the GOP with his agenda crossing the aisle in the House, he has great China experience, and long missing a bi-lingual Secretary in the right language, and Obama has said Asia is one of his main priorities now, and he is generally very competent.

He gets my nod. wink.png

Jon Huntsman makes great sense as Hilary's replacement. He's a Republican, which might help Obama offering an olive leaf to the GOP with his agenda crossing the aisle in the House, he has great China experience, and long missing a bi-lingual Secretary in the right language, and Obama has said Asia is one of his main priorities now, and he is generally very competent.

He gets my nod. wink.png

Uhhmmm...I thought you were somewhat less than enamored of folks from mega wealthy families powerful in the LDS hierarchy?

Gotta go but I look forward to your reply later! :)

Other possibilities include... David Petraeus, CIA director

Clearly that's not a possibility.

CIA Director Petraeus quits: extramarital affair

By Connie Cass and Kimberly Dozier

Associated Press

6:03 p.m. CST, November 9, 2012

WASHINGTON— David Petraeus, the retired four-star general renowned for taking charge of the military campaigns in Iraq and then Afghanistan, abruptly resigned Friday as director of the CIA, admitting to an extramarital affair.

The affair was discovered during an FBI investigation, according to officials briefed on the developments. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter. It was unclear what the FBI was investigating or when it became aware of the affair.

Petraeus' resignation shocked Washington's intelligence and political communities. It was a sudden end to the public career of the best-known general of the post 9/11 wars, a man sometimes mentioned as a potential Republican presidential candidate. His service was effusively praised Friday in statements from lawmakers of both parties.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-petraeus-resigns-cia-affair-20121109,0,6774402.story

He gets my nod. wink.png

Uhhmmm...I thought you were somewhat less than enamored of folks from mega wealthy families powerful in the LDS hierarchy?

Gotta go but I look forward to your reply later! smile.png

Haha, I am an equal opportunity bigot. I got to know his family a bit, did some biz with his dad, very impressive man. I greatly admire mega wealthy who earned it. I do not want a Mormon in the White House (and, Huntsman is among the most prominent Mormon families), but at State, ok, especially this type of Mormon. thumbsup.gif Especially in light of this:

However, he told Newsweek in December 2010 that the LDS Church doesn't have a monopoly on his spiritual life.[125] In an interview with Time magazine, he stated that he is more spiritual than religious and that his membership in the LDS Church is "tough to define".[126][127] Although still Mormon, Huntsman has said that he and his wife draw from an array of sources for inspiration, stating: "Today, there are 13 million Mormons. It's a very diverse and heterogeneous cross-section of people. And you're going to find a lot of different attitudes and a lot of different opinions in that 13 million. I was raised a Mormon, Mary Kaye was raised Episcopalian, our kids have gone to Catholic school, I went to a Lutheran school growing up in Los Angeles. So you kind of bind all this together." [128]

Huntsman rejects the notion that faith and evolution are mutually exclusive. In 2011, in response to a statement by Rick Perry that global warming was unproven and that evolution remains only a theory, Huntsman tweeted, "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."[129] He said, "The minute that the Republican Party becomes the party – the anti-science party, we have a huge problem. We lose a whole lot of people who would otherwise allow us to win the election in 2012."[130]

You see, bigoted scum can be reasonable.

IMO:

Kerry won't give up his cushy Senate seat for a 24/7 job like SoS.

Michelle Obama will not seek an elected position, neither will Colin Powell.

A Biden-Clinton primary would be even dirtier than Clinton-O in 2008. One of the things that surprised me in 2008 was discovering that within the Dems there is a lot of loathing for the Clintons. But we'll see if both are still alive and healthy two years from now. On that note, if Hillary did get the WH and Big Dog died while she was in office, well, it would be like having a new administration. (for an ironic aside see the comments Hillary made about Christina Kirchner as captured by Wikileaks).

GOP in 2016? Huckabee! Before the deadline to throw the hat ring in 2011 Huckabee said he wouldn't run unless he could win. When he didn't, I figured his actuaries (or whatever) ran the figures and found O would be too tough to beat.

Bro Jeb? So long as Americans are still hearing the words Iraq and Afghanistan on the news he knows he doesn't have a chance. If he waits a few weeks it'll be like shaking the Etch-a-Sketch, as most Americans can't recall anything further back than the previous weekend (um, that was sarcasm tongue.png )

I like Huntsman. Party affiliation is one thing, the important thing is if a person has the strength to stand up to their party's leadership, come what may. I mean this for both major parties (I find Pelosi just as odious as Boehner). I think Huntsman may have it. As for being SoS, I think they should stick with women.

The gleam is off of Rove, that's for sure! Two words, Karl: self-deportation biggrin.png

Please take Grover Norquist and Frank Luntz with you.

Conspicuous in their absence from this discussion are the "star makers," the campaign pros who go around looking for potential candidates. Very interesting story as to how Rick Perry came to join the clown-car primaries in 2011, worth looking up if you're interested in what actually makes the wheels turn.

She admitted responsibility and you say it's manufactured by Fox News? That's an oxymoron Jingthing.

No, it's not an oxymoron. She accepted responsibility in a blanket sense, for things that happen relating to the State Dept. It's the mark of a responsible statesman. There's no doubt the event itself was despicable. All this hair-pulling by Republicans are attempts to politicize it. Who was top of the totem pole in regard to CIA special forces at the time? General Petreus. I'm not one to blame the general, if but right-wingers are so driven to lay blame, that's where they should look first.

I didn't see Republicans politicizing 9-11 and blaming it all on Bush and Rice. I didn't see Reps blaming the dozens of US deaths in Lebanon on Reagan and his Sec. of State (was it Baker?). Benghazi is pure politicizing and it's ugly. Find a real issue or get a life. It's ugly to go around with a shitstick for weeks, trying to get it to stick to someone.

• Like 1

I like Huntsman. Party affiliation is one thing, the important thing is if a person has the strength to stand up to their party's leadership, come what may. I mean this for both major parties (I find Pelosi just as odious as Boehner). I think Huntsman may have it. As for being SoS, I think they should stick with women.

Obviously Obama already likes Huntsman, but Huntsman may rightly think it would be his political death nell in the Republican party. A la Colin Powell, he may be labeled a RINO, turncoat, or worse.

Sure. But has Pelosi come anywhere near attaining the Presidency? Could she? No and no. So that's what I mean about Hilary having done what no woman ever has.

As Speaker of the House of Representatives she was next in line for the presidency after the Vice President. So if anything had happened to Bush & Cheney, we would have had President Pelosi. Scary.

Not when

I didn't see Republicans politicizing 9-11 and blaming it all on Bush and Rice. I didn't see Reps blaming the dozens of US deaths in Lebanon on Reagan and his Sec. of State (was it Baker?). Benghazi is pure politicizing and it's ugly. Find a real issue or get a life. It's ugly to go around with a shitstick for weeks, trying to get it to stick to someone.

Are you a 9/11 Truther who thinks the gov't misled the people about what happened on 9/11?

The "dozens" of dead in Lebanon under Reagan was over nearly 300 dead and I don't remember Reagan blaming that on a video either.

The admin's response to Benghazi was merely covering up incompetence or negligence, all to mislead the public before an election. There's a lot of shit on that stick and it belongs to those in the White House.

• Like 2

A la Colin Powell, he may be labeled a RINO, turncoat, or worse.

I think his former bosses already tossed him into the sewer.

Powell's wife doesn't like her family members in public life, which is why I think he'll never run for anything.