How Long Is Proof Of Income Letter Valid For Retirement Visa?

Edit: In response to another post. You cannot do a mail in for the income affidavit. It is a bit hard to raise your hand and make an oath by mail.

But hopefully the day will eventually come when affidavits could be sworn remotely online - with biometrics being used to determine whether or not the person making the oath was genuine. The major thing preventing this at the present time is, of course, the indifferent quality of Skype images.

In any event, I rather prefer our British system whereby documentary income evidence has to be provided to the Embassy before they issue a POI letter. As a result Immigration have tended to accept these letters at face value, unlike for you Americans where, I gather from a number of TV postings, they have insisted on documentary evidence as well (although, that said, I do recall a recent posting from a fellow Brit where he was asked for documentary evidence on top of his Embassy letter).

Although the HK website at http://ukinhongkong....ailand/renewals does state that the Immigration Bureau may request a letter from the British Embassy, neither this nor the Embassy website seem to make it clear what such a letter would state, nor how this could be obtained (and at what cost)!

I have now emailed the Embassy seeking clarification of these points - will post again if/when I receive a meaningful reply.

I have now received a reply from the Embassy. The good news is that they will issue a letter, as per the attachment. Even more amazingly in the present financial climate, they will do this free of charge! So apologies to pontious for doubting his word in post #15.

The bad news for us non-Bangkokians, however, is that you will need to apply in person at the Embassy with your old and new passports. I am awaiting clarification as to whether the Embassy will issue a letter on the spot, or whether you will need to return the following day to collect it (which would, of course, necessitate a double trip or an overnight stay in BKK). Will report again with the answer when/if I receive it.

post-63387-0-94833700-1352777165_thumb.j

Edit: In response to another post. You cannot do a mail in for the income affidavit. It is a bit hard to raise your hand and make an oath by mail.

But hopefully the day will eventually come when affidavits could be sworn remotely online - with biometrics being used to determine whether or not the person making the oath was genuine. The major thing preventing this at the present time is, of course, the indifferent quality of Skype images.

In any event, I rather prefer our British system whereby documentary income evidence has to be provided to the Embassy before they issue a POI letter. As a result Immigration have tended to accept these letters at face value, unlike for you Americans where, I gather from a number of TV postings, they have insisted on documentary evidence as well (although, that said, I do recall a recent posting from a fellow Brit where he was asked for documentary evidence on top of his Embassy letter).

I have never been asked for proof other than the affidavit.

Their are some immigration offices that ask for proof for all income documents. Normally a bank book showing some money coming in not the entire amount. Even ATM slips have been accepted.

I am awaiting clarification as to whether the Embassy will issue a letter on the spot, or whether you will need to return the following day to collect it (which would, of course, necessitate a double trip or an overnight stay in BKK). Will report again with the answer when/if I receive it.

More good news: the Embassy have now confirmed to me that letters will be issued on the spot.

I have never been asked for proof other than the affidavit.

Their are some immigration offices that ask for proof for all income documents. Normally a bank book showing some money coming in not the entire amount. Even ATM slips have been accepted.

I have never been asked for any extra proof from Jomtien immigration other than the affidavit. If they ask, I'm prepared to show them my bank book with monthly deposits coming in from outside Thailand. Fact is, they have never asked.

Although the HK website at http://ukinhongkong....ailand/renewals does state that the Immigration Bureau may request a letter from the British Embassy, neither this nor the Embassy website seem to make it clear what such a letter would state, nor how this could be obtained (and at what cost)!

I have now emailed the Embassy seeking clarification of these points - will post again if/when I receive a meaningful reply.

I have now received a reply from the Embassy. The good news is that they will issue a letter, as per the attachment. Even more amazingly in the present financial climate, they will do this free of charge! So apologies to pontious for doubting his word in post #15.

The bad news for us non-Bangkokians, however, is that you will need to apply in person at the Embassy with your old and new passports. I am awaiting clarification as to whether the Embassy will issue a letter on the spot, or whether you will need to return the following day to collect it (which would, of course, necessitate a double trip or an overnight stay in BKK). Will report again with the answer when/if I receive it.

Thank you for the information.

To require people to attend the Embassy for a simple letter borders on lunacy.

We can get a new passport from HK on just sending a photocopy.

The simplest way would be for HK to issue a letter with the new passport like other countries do.

If that falls into the 'all too difficult ' tray then surely a photocopy of both passports to Bangkok with the completed form should suffice.

The simplest way would be for HK to issue a letter with the new passport like other countries do.

If that falls into the 'all too difficult ' tray then surely a photocopy of both passports to Bangkok with the completed form should suffice.

Just wonder whether a letter issued from the HK Passport Centre, rather than the BKK Embassy, might cause problems with nit-picking jobsworth immigration officers who might have got out of bed the wrong side that day. But agree with you 100% about the craziness of having to visit the Embassy in person to obtain this letter - which must surely rub salt into the wound for you Pattayans following the imminent closure of your Consulate.

As you intimate, why on earth can’t the Embassy issue such letters by EMS on the basis of photocopies of old and new passports? Personally, I would not even begrudge paying them the 100 THB return postage (as per income confirmation letters) - certainly far less than the 1,500 THB for a full tank of petrol needed for a return trip to BKK from my neck of the woods (Rayong Province)!

...why on earth can’t the Embassy issue such letters by EMS on the basis of photocopies of old and new passports?

Have now emailed the Embassy again asking them to look into this possibility. But not holding my breath for a speedy reply (let alone a favourable one).

Anyway, hope that mls (the OP) gets his letter sorted before the Pattaya Consulate closes.

Fascinating also to note from this thread that our crazy UK passport renewal procedures have even got our American cousins rubbing their eyes in disbelief!

Made it up to Jomtien Immigration and the Consular office today and the upshot is:

Immigration says there is no time limit on the validity of the letter from the Embassy for proof of income. This was from the Thai officer who sits at the front desk, so I am hoping he is correct. I can now sort out my POI letter next week and keep fingers crossed it will be fine for January. Though I think when I go up next week I will check again.

With regards to transferring visas into new passports. The Brit consul gave me a form to fill in, checked both my passports and stamped it there on the spot. No charge. Wow! I was also told that there should be no charge from Immigration for visa transfers and also that it depends on who you see at the desk as to whether or not you need the letter. So I suppose it's always worth a try to get it done without first, but would go late on in the day with all your photocopies as it's possible the uniformed officer (who insisted on the letter) will have gone home by then and they will do it without.

By the way, thanks to whoever it was who posted the Word document for the Immigration Visa transfer form, however, I cannot get Thai to come up in Word (just get boxes). I can only use pdf documents as the Thai fonts are embedded. Did get a form from Immigration though, so not a problem.

Hope this helps you all.

PS. I'm female not male

• Like 1

Many thanks for directing me here from the connected thread in the Pattaya Forum - it certainly seems unnecessarily complicated and, as you say, photocopies in the mail should suffice.

It wouldn't be possible for HK to issue the letter as they are only involved (for no apparent reason) in forwarding passport applications to the UK, not in the return leg as new passports are sent (so I am told!) directly to the applicant from the UK.

I don't think it has anything to do with passport renewal as such, more the fact that the new E passports can only be printed in certain places. But it still begs the question that if British passports can only be printed in the UK, why can't the renewals be done from there directly and not have to go to HK first and why do they cost almost double what you would pay if you were still resident in the UK. Surely, if passports were all processed in the same place the only extra you should pay for living outside the UK is the postage...

No idea why they have to go via HK and to be checked there before going on to the UK, but to be fair new passports are the same price as in the UK (plus postage) as they are charged at the Premium Service (same day) rate of £128. For some reason (again, no idea) that only applies to "standard" 32 page passports and "jumbo" 48 page passports are £137 for the Premium Service in the UK but £154.50 if applying from Thailand.