How Long Is Proof Of Income Letter Valid For Retirement Visa?

As the Pattaya British Consular office is due to close before the end of the month, I was wondering if I could get my letter showing proof of income for my retirement visa before they do so.

My visa is due for renewal by 29th January.

One other query - I have a new passport and was told at my last 90 day reporting that I should transfer my visa into this. I went the next day with all the relevant photocopies I was told they wanted and was then told by an officer (in uniform) that I needed a letter from the consulate to confirm my old passport had been cancelled. As this is automatically done as soon as you apply for a British new passport I thought he was joking, but apparently not (don't think they ever joke!).

Can anyone confirm if I also need another letter confirming my old passport has been cancelled?

Thanks.

That letter has always been required but UK has never provided it - but believe you can use receipt of some type instead. Perhaps someone doing the UK process and provide details.

I presume you are talking about the confirmation of passport cancellation. I have no receipts as it was all done on-line and then posted to HK and paid for on credit card. No receipt supplied. So seems the only thing will be a letter from the Brit consul.

There were some information leaflets about cutting the corner off the old passport, but unfortunately have binned it all. Very unlike me as usually keep everything, but moving soon so have been clearing stuff out.

Any other suggestions?

Will hope someone with recent experience of UK passport can answer. US has always issued a letter addressed to immigration as is there requirement - perhaps if you request it Consul can provide even though passport issue is no longer from Embassy.

In my experience, the passport that has been replaced must have the corners cut off at 45 deg angles on the RED cover and across the data page.

I have never been asked for any letter to prove its cancelled as the process wont allow the issuance of a new one until the previous one has been cancelled.

As for the letter of income, again in my experience they will accept it for upto to 30 days but no more. TIT and as we all know offices and officers can vary.

In my experience, the passport that has been replaced must have the corners cut off at 45 deg angles on the RED cover and across the data page.

I have never been asked for any letter to prove its cancelled as the process wont allow the issuance of a new one until the previous one has been cancelled.

As for the letter of income, again in my experience they will accept it for upto to 30 days but no more. TIT and as we all know offices and officers can vary.

Sorry but for those in Thailand the UK passport is issued by mail order and delivered to the person by mail. There is no sending of the old passport or taking it to Embassy to be cancelled. You do the cutting yourself - it is electronically canceled when your application for replacement is processed. Thai immigration has a standing requirement for a letter asking for information to be transferred into new passports. All Embassies that I know of supply such a letter except for the UK (and that dates back to when new passports were actually issued in Thailand). In the past immigration has accepted the UK as being an exception but have seen recent reports that some form of paperwork has recently been requested.

You might be tempted to use a pair of scissors and clip of an edge of the old passport - clipping through all pages. It is the usual process of devaluating an old passport when you receive a new one. Showing it to the immigration officer in command, it might be very useful in argueing that your passport has been cancelled for real.

I transferred my retirement Visa from the old passport to the new one, without a problem, though. The old passport hasn't had any clip-offs, I just tested it with the immigration officer, and he did not mind. Some who are strict with these recommendations, however, will always mind.

You might be tempted to use a pair of scissors and clip of an edge of the old passport - clipping through all pages. It is the usual process of devaluating an old passport when you receive a new one. Showing it to the immigration officer in command, it might be very useful in argueing that your passport has been cancelled for real.

I transferred my retirement Visa from the old passport to the new one, without a problem, though. The old passport hasn't had any clip-offs, I just tested it with the immigration officer, and he did not mind. Some who are strict with these recommendations, however, will always mind.

Do NOT clip all pages. Clip the ID page or put a few hole through it, but leave the visa pages intact. At least till stamps etc are transferred to the new passport.

If you also clip the visa pages, technically any visa or extension of stay inside would become invalid.

Go before they close. They will give you a ' please transfer visa / extensions ' into new passport blah blah blah - it is even free!!

Pretty sure Barry Kenyon told me 30 days so 29 Jan - 30 days before say 29 Dec - if you get it the latest day this month you should be ok.

You can do 2 months before with a reason. I did this when I had to visit a sick relative in South Thailand. They did not check this although I was not lying.

Go and check with Barry - I think you will be OK

PS I dont think they want 'passport cancelled letter ' just a letter asking to transfer.

Edited by pontious

transfered all my details from old to new last year,never a mention or a request for letter,i would have thought having a old passprt and a new one was commen sense enough,but hey this is thailand.

But do you use the Chonburi office ? That is what he is asking.

Well quite a lot of suggestions, but think Pontious has the best solution and yes, good idea to just go and ask at the office.

By picking all your brains, was hoping to save a trip to Jomtien, but as it's just a tad closer than Bangkok and somewhat quieter, think will go over next week and check both immigration and British Consul office.

I did cut my old passport correctly as recommended on the info sent with it. My visas are all intact.

Will see what transpires next week, but thanks to all for your input.

Just for the record, I'm in Ubon and I got my income letter during the Consulate Outreach in January of this year (2012). Prior to renewing my annual extension, I call Pibun Immigrations and asked how long the letter was good for. The officer replied that the letter was good for on year (12 months from the date of issue). Completed my extension in July (2012), no questions were asked and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

Well quite a lot of suggestions, but think Pontious has the best solution and yes, good idea to just go and ask at the office.

By picking all your brains, was hoping to save a trip to Jomtien, but as it's just a tad closer than Bangkok and somewhat quieter, think will go over next week and check both immigration and British Consul office.

I did cut my old passport correctly as recommended on the info sent with it. My visas are all intact.

Will see what transpires next week, but thanks to all for your input.

If push came to shove, I was wondering whether an Embassy certification of a photocopy of your new passport (see their website at http://ukinthailand....ing-photo-copy/) might do the trick. This would, however, set you back by a further 1,560 THB!

You may wish to put this suggestion to Jomtien and the Consul (along with pontious’s solution) this coming week. If you do, I would be most interested to learn of the outcome as I shall be renewing my UK passport in the New Year, and shall then have an extension of stay stamp to transfer to the new one.

In this connection, Maptaput (my local office) have already advised me that they would need copies of my old and new passport pages together with a completed Immigration Bureau TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT form (unnumbered), with no mention of any Embassy letter. Although their requirements on other matters (notably 90-day reporting) seem generally less stringent than Jomtien’s, I would nevertheless prefer to be over-prepared on the “better safe than sorry” principle (especially bearing in mind that you received similar advice from Jomtien initially)!

Although the HK website at http://ukinhongkong....ailand/renewals does state that the Immigration Bureau may request a letter from the British Embassy, neither this nor the Embassy website seem to make it clear what such a letter would state, nor how this could be obtained (and at what cost)!

On your proof of income point, Maptaput accepted without question an Embassy letter which was 2 months old for my latest retirement extension last July.

Edited by OJAS

That letter has always been required but UK has never provided it - but believe you can use receipt of some type instead. Perhaps someone doing the UK process and provide details.

Ah, so that's the real purpose of that letter.

When I get a new passport at the US Embassy, they always give a letter addressed to Thai Immigrations saying something like: "Please be kind enough to transfer information from xxx's old passport to his new one." I guess that is diplomatic speak for "OK, we canceled the old one, so the new one is good to go."

I am looking for confirmation on this same question. The US consular outreach visit to pattaya is in November but my visa extension expires the beginning of February. Would be a shame to have to make a special trip to bkk just for the affidavit. Can anyone confirm that the Thai immigration will accept the affidavit that was stamped over 60 days prior to the application for extension? This is not my first extension based on marriage just the first time the affidavit letter won't be so fresh.

Thanks for any serious replies.

Edited by Jayman

Although the HK website at http://ukinhongkong....ailand/renewals does state that the Immigration Bureau may request a letter from the British Embassy, neither this nor the Embassy website seem to make it clear what such a letter would state, nor how this could be obtained (and at what cost)!

I have now emailed the Embassy seeking clarification of these points - will post again if/when I receive a meaningful reply.

To mls - it is possible to apply to the Embassy for POI letters by post, which would save you trips to Bangkok after the Pattaya Consulate closes. This is how I obtain my POI letters, and the turnaround time for my latest letter was 1 week.

I have now emailed the Embassy seeking clarification of these points - will post again if/when I receive a meaningful reply.

To mls - it is possible to apply to the Embassy for POI letters by post, which would save you trips to Bangkok after the Pattaya Consulate closes. This is how I obtain my POI letters, and the turnaround time for my latest letter was 1 week.

I wonder if it's possible to apply for the affidavit letter from US embassy via post? Me thinks not since they are affirming that it's you that signed it and without you present they have no way to confirm.

When I go to the consul this week to see about confirmation that my new passport is valid, I will also drop in to the immigration office and find out how long the proof of income letter will be valid for and also how much in advance one can apply for a visa renewal. I will post the results here so you all know.

Have been thinking that it might be simpler to have a bank account with 800,000 baht in it if I could find one that pays better interest than the standard savings account. Will have to do some calculations, but if I lose less in interest than the 2400 odd Baht it costs for the letter from the British Embassy, would be worth it, especially as would save more in special delivery post or petrol to and from Bangkok. Anyone know of any good interest paying bank accounts?

• Like 1

I wonder if it's possible to apply for the affidavit letter from US embassy via post? Me thinks not since they are affirming that it's you that signed it and without you present they have no way to confirm.

But at least you Americans can still get your passports renewed at your Embassy, unlike us poor Brits!

When I go to the consul this week to see about confirmation that my new passport is valid, I will also drop in to the immigration office and find out how long the proof of income letter will be valid for and also how much in advance one can apply for a visa renewal. I will post the results here so you all know.

On reflection, I have doubts about pontious’s statement that the Consul would issue 'please transfer visa / extensions into new passport’ letters free of charge nowadays given that current FCO policy is to charge for each and every little service their embassies and consulates provide for us expats. I am also concerned that the transfer of the passport renewal operation from the BKK Embassy to Hong Kong may have blurred the responsibility for issuing such letters. Hopefully the outcome of your enquiries with the Consul will clarify the whole position.

But at least you Americans can still get your passports renewed at your Embassy, unlike us poor Brits!

I don't know what to say to that other than you must be from one of the only countries on the planet who's foreign embassy's can't handle a passport renewal.

I don't think it has anything to do with passport renewal as such, more the fact that the new E passports can only be printed in certain places. But it still begs the question that if British passports can only be printed in the UK, why can't the renewals be done from there directly and not have to go to HK first and why do they cost almost double what you would pay if you were still resident in the UK. Surely, if passports were all processed in the same place the only extra you should pay for living outside the UK is the postage...

I don't think it has anything to do with passport renewal as such, more the fact that the new E passports can only be printed in certain places. But it still begs the question that if British passports can only be printed in the UK, why can't the renewals be done from there directly and not have to go to HK first and why do they cost almost double what you would pay if you were still resident in the UK. Surely, if passports were all processed in the same place the only extra you should pay for living outside the UK is the postage...

Still e-passports are not some special British thing. I do understand all your points when trying to make sense of this but I still just shocked that they can't process a passport renewal at you Embassy in Thailand. No one is saying that have to print it in the back room. Money for each country is printed in 1 location but still manages to make it to a bank branch near you. Can't you expect the same from your embassy?

I think the only explanation is that the service we Brit ex-pats get abroad is crap...

Hard to dissent from both this statement and your view that HK are a totally unnecessary middleman in the passport renewal process for us Brit expats nowadays.

Maptaput (my local office) have already advised me that they would need copies of my old and new passport pages together with a completed Immigration Bureau TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT form (unnumbered), with no mention of any Embassy letter.

Out of curiosity, are Jomtien really now insisting that you both complete this form (now attached) AND provide an Embassy/ Consulate letter saying more or less the same thing? If so, this sounds crazy to me - but, hey, TIT after all!!

Forum administrators may wish to include this form in the TV library if it is not already there (unfortunately my snail-speed internet connection precludes me from checking this myself).

transferstamp.doc

Just for the record, I'm in Ubon and I got my income letter during the Consulate Outreach in January of this year (2012). Prior to renewing my annual extension, I call Pibun Immigrations and asked how long the letter was good for. The officer replied that the letter was good for on year (12 months from the date of issue). Completed my extension in July (2012), no questions were asked and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

You may of been lucky to of gotten to immigration at Phibun before they changed the entire staff.

I might consider taking the risk of loosing 1600 baht by using the consular outreach if it was in Ubon. But if it was KK or Udon I would not take the chance because of the extra cost for the trip and an overnight stay the night before.

I use the 30 day rule and travel to Bangkok for mine.

Edit: In response to another post. You cannot do a mail in for the income affidavit. It is a bit hard to raise your hand and make an oath by mail.

Edited by ubonjoe