Futsal Debacle Should Serve As Lesson To Thailand

webfact

EDITORIAL

Futsal debacle should serve as lesson to Thailand

The Nation

30194026-01_big.jpg

Politicians, developers and organisers outside the Bangkok Futsal Arena during its construction.

Those responsible for the failure to complete new sports arena should acknowledge their part in the embarrassment caused to the country

BANGKOK: -- Fifa's rejection of the Bangkok Futsal Arena should serve as a lesson to Thailand, should the country plan to host another international sporting event in the future. The delay in the completion of the stadium and an inadequate public-relations campaign show that success will require full cooperation from all parties involved in organisation.

The 7th Futsal World Cup currently being held in Thailand should have drawn positive attention to the country. But the event has been marred by controversy. It seems a number of factors have led to Fifa's decision not to use the new Bt1.3-billion arena. The rejection has also revealed, once again, the true colours of politicians who are ready to pass the blame to others and refuse to take their share of responsibility.

Instead of helping the organisers figure out what to do next to restore trust in Thailand as a good host for future events, the politicians among the organisers are blaming each other in the press and in Parliament. The main target is Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra, who is expected to run for re-election soon.

Politicians from the Pheu Thai Party are keen to pass all blame on to Sukhumbhand and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), although other parties are also involved in hosting the event.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit has demanded that the governor resign. What's more interesting is the comment from Deputy Prime Minister and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa, who should have taken primary responsibility. Chumpol said he realised a long time ago that the arena would never be ready in time.

Ironically, the main figure behind this debacle has been conspicuously left out of the criticism - that is Football Association of Thailand (FAT) president Worawi Makudi. Woradi is also the Thai government's trade representative. Worawi insisted that the BMA construct the stadium in Nong Chok. Another figure who has so far avoided flak is Suwat Liptapanlop, chairman of the organising committee.

The abrupt changes of venue will, fortunately, not disrupt the Futsal World Cup because Thailand has other stadiums, such as Nimibutr and Hua Mark, which are capable of hosting international tournaments. But the lessons of this episode must be learned, because Thailand aims to host many other such events. Thailand has all the necessary resources to do so. What it doesn't have is full cooperation among all political sides.

The delay in the arena's construction is a result of budgetary problems, floods last year and, most importantly, a lack of cooperation among the agencies involved. The Football Association should have set up committees to handle the tournament's organisation, including transport and logistics, in the same way as organising committees do for the Olympic Games.

An international event of this significance should have drawn sponsors and positive publicity. After all, some of the association's executive members are prominent figures in government.

The BMA and Football Association's miscalculation in the time needed to build the arena should not raise eyebrows, nor Fifa's rejection of it. Let's hope the venue will be completed and used for future sports events.

The public wants accountability from people in charge. The BMA and Sukhumbhand have tried to explain the problems. Others need to be held accountable as well.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-10

'a lack of cooperation between the agencies involved'

Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians.

'Thailand aims to host many other such events'.

Let's hope the F1 is not viewed as such an event. It actually requires dedicated people to consult on, plan and coordinate .... not simply to construct something. It's difficult to even imagine how many will be tripping over each other to get that organised.

Agency 1: build fencing

Agency 2: supply fencing

Agency 3: install fencing ........

'.... Oh, the footings? ... well, yes, that was Khun X's agency but he was also responsible for the corporate facilities which he was directed to complete as a priority. They're very comfortable, don't you think? Is the race on yet?'

'No, there's no fencing'

• Like 2

Why does anyone think Thailand needs a lesson? They made their money from the contracts - nothing else matters... They will continue on in the vein of money first and life will move on. Thai's will now use the stadium and all will be swept under the carpet by future events within the premises and the media spin doctors covering up as if it never happened.

• Like 2

'a lack of cooperation between the agencies involved'

Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians.

'Thailand aims to host many other such events'.

Let's hope the F1 is not viewed as such an event. It actually requires dedicated people to consult on, plan and coordinate .... not simply to construct something. It's difficult to even imagine how many will be tripping over each other to get that organised.

Agency 1: build fencing

Agency 2: supply fencing

Agency 3: install fencing ........

'.... Oh, the footings? ... well, yes, that was Khun X's agency but he was also responsible for the corporate facilities which he was directed to complete as a priority. They're very comfortable, don't you think? Is the race on yet?'

'No, there's no fencing'

what about the stray dog's? what agency?

• Like 1

Oh yeah, they will learn a lesson!

...as you can clearly see, by the BMAs threat to take FIFA to court!

Now I understand the rush to recognise the I.C.C.

The nations image is threatened and F.I.F.A. is the culprit let's sue them chaps.

We will of course be seeking financial compensation as certain, '' commission payments,'' will not be returned due no doubt to the refusal of F.I.F.A. to accredit the stadium.

The lesson learnt is that no matter how colossal a screw up Thailand makes in front of an international audience, nothing will ever change, because the people of Thailand don't care. Thailand could host a grand prix, have all the cars could be stolen before the race and displayed in some hiso <deleted>'s restaurant, make Thailand a laughing stock and Thais wouldn't care.

• Like 2

This is what happens.

If they just stick with the usual 35% bribe / corruption everything is ok.

When they try to get more it will go wrong.

Lesson learned

Germany can do much better!!! Bribes, scheming, cronyism, favoritism, incompetent politicians inside the board of directors are the reasons for a ONE year delay of the opening of the new Berlin Airport. Additional costs 1.2 billion Euro plus another estimated 3 Billion Euro in damage compensation for airlines, businesses, and the DB(German railway).clap2.gif

For Thailand's sake I hope they abandon the ridiculous notion of bidding for a F1 race.

A country and people that put so much store in saving face have been embarrassed for years by the 3G fiasco and now the Futsal farce. Another would be just too much.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

The lesson learnt is that no matter how colossal a screw up Thailand makes in front of an international audience, nothing will ever change, because the people of Thailand don't care. Thailand could host a grand prix, have all the cars could be stolen before the race and displayed in some hiso <deleted>'s restaurant, make Thailand a laughing stock and Thais wouldn't care.

Well...not really!

2 barebreasted chicks, dancing on Songkhran, got whole administrations in uproar, for tarnishing Thailand's image worldwide!

• Like 1

For Thailand's sake I hope they abandon the ridiculous notion of bidding for a F1 race.

A country and people that put so much store in saving face have been embarrassed for years by the 3G fiasco and now the Futsal farce. Another would be just too much.

You really think the 'real' people of Thailand are embarrassed by these things? You've got to be kidding; they don't give a rats arse as they are too busy trying to make a decent living. I sat with five Thai's in my village last evening and brought up the Futsal fiasco and guess what? They didn't even know what the hell I was talking about. You need to get out more.

• Like 2

Have to say I agree with kurnell and trainman - Most Thais don't give a rats arse or don't care to find out about 95% of the things that go on in Thailand and they certainly aren't concerned with what the rest of the world thinks. As most have no notion what the rest of the world actually is.'This is Thailand, we are Thai, you are not so you mind your own business'. That is about the level of Thai critical thinking on such subjects.

The location of this stadium could not be more ludicrous. They may have well put it on the moon. It is inaccessible by any means others than car or perhaps some buses. I play golf at The Pine which is in Nong Chok, and it takes me one hour to drive there from Bangkok when there is little traffic. Can't imagine how long it would take during normal business hours.

Obviously someone made a lot of money on the land and the construction, which is the norm for Thailand (TIT).

And that ladies and gentlemen is the bottom Line. Case closed.

You really think the 'real' people of Thailand are embarrassed by these things? You've got to be kidding; they don't give a rats arse as they are too busy trying to make a decent living. I sat with five Thai's in my village last evening and brought up the Futsal fiasco and guess what? They didn't even know what the hell I was talking about. You need to get out more.

I think you do, old chap.

If you got away from your village you might notice how embarassed most younger Thais are at the 3G nonsense in particular.

• Like 1

I think you do, old chap.

If you got away from your village you might notice how embarassed most younger Thais are at the 3G nonsense in particular.

So now they have lost face, just go out and beat up on a few my innocent farangs.

How sweet that the opportunists at the Nation always find a way to share the blame around. Yes other parties were involved, the building however was constructed by the BMA, Sukhumband is the governor and anyone who comes up with a venue that has no flooring yet when a tournament is already underway is greatly incompetent. Maybe next time we will blame Prem instead of PT or the FIFA because he was ordering coups instead of watching the flooring that was sitting in a Chinese bonded warehouse. It is as stupid as pointing the finger to any other party. The democrats never win real elections because they always love to pass the blame around and never take responsibility and sack people who bring shame on Thailand.

How sweet that the opportunists at the Nation always find a way to share the blame around. Yes other parties were involved, the building however was constructed by the BMA, Sukhumband is the governor and anyone who comes up with a venue that has no flooring yet when a tournament is already underway is greatly incompetent. Maybe next time we will blame Prem instead of PT or the FIFA because he was ordering coups instead of watching the flooring that was sitting in a Chinese bonded warehouse. It is as stupid as pointing the finger to any other party. The democrats never win real elections because they always love to pass the blame around and never take responsibility and sack people who bring shame on Thailand.

What a load of dross.

The other paper just issued a paper by the BMA, setting some "facts" right!

Guess what: the BMA did everything absolutely 100% correct! Aaaaaaaaaaaall the time!

FIFA just wouldn't let them shine!

Case closed!