So What's Your Thai Name ?

bermondburi

It also works the other way. When I lived in Peckham there was a Thai guy called Manop who used to drink in the local pub. He worked in an ice-cream factory in Lewisham. Everyone in the pub called him Nobby.

Following the argument that he wasn't English does that mean he couln't have an English nickname. If so why not?

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just having a nickname just the same as all Thais have a nickname. What's the problem with that?

DELETED POST.

Uh.. did i miss something ? Plenty of people have nicknames in their countries of origin, what's wrong with that ?

i don't recall being asked my nickname, the thread title specifically asks if anyone has a thai name

Edited by Rooo

It's just having a nickname just the same as all Thais have a nickname. What's the problem with that?

DELETED POST.

Uh.. did i miss something ? Plenty of people have nicknames in their countries of origin, what's wrong with that ?

i don't recall being asked my nickname, the thread title specifically asks if anyone has a thai name

yep. my nickname is my Thai name.

my name made short, easy for Thais, means " drunk " a typical case of " nomen omen " or " destiny in a name.

Edited by Rooo

DELETED POST.

Sorry. Perhaps I should have made that clear. I meant nickname. Perhaps I should start another thread.

Edited by Rooo

Family and friends call me by my birth name; Gary.

My wife calls me Moo Khao (White pig). At first I was really upset by this, but she explained that pigs are lovely, and that was her name for me and no-one else would call me that (To my face). I told her she could call me whatever she wants, just don't call me late for dinner.

When we are around the house, or in the garden and she can't see me, she calls " Moo Khao, Moo Khao, Where is my Moo?"

Remember the film Babe, about the farmer with the pig? It's her favourite film.

• Like 1

Since Thais have difficulties with my name (Nils) and always say "New"...that's what I got stuck with!

My girlfriend calls me idiot sometimes, but that doesnt count, I guess!?

I thnk all of us get called that from time to time by the Missus.

I am, and always have been, moo (pig) to my lady wife. It's natural I'm year of the pig and rather plump and pink. Everyone else who knows me calls me by my given name, David (actually mostly Dave).

Most close family (Thai) call me I Wan (problem with V)tongue.png

Mother in law (when in good mood) Hindee (Happy)smile.png

'I Wan', that's very rude ...... 555!

Depends on how the 'I' is pronounced. If it's like 'I' as in 'Igloo', it's not rude. If it's 'I' as in 'I am', then I believe it is very rude, yes.

I am, and always have been, moo (pig) to my lady wife. It's natural I'm year of the pig and rather plump and pink. Everyone else who knows me calls me by my given name, David (actually mostly Dave).

Probably a few have nicknames given to them b their wifes / partners - but that's about it. I can't imagine addressing you as Moo. There is a bloke that lives nearby who insists that people call him by his Thai nickname, Tuk Tuk - it made plenty of people laugh (at him)