Why Doesn't Cmu Protect Its Students And Enforce Helmet Laws?

TheVicar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was mind blowing I loved the atmosphere of college and the new horizons it opened up to me. So in my own way I think you would have been a great teacher for me. Maybe you were my Physiclogy prof. Obviousley I did not learn to spell

I too went to university later in life. The Veterans Administration put me back in school in my 30's, and like you, I loved it. But I had already been teaching one thing or another since I was 16... skiing, Fencing, riding, Kung-<deleted>, archery, guitar.. etc. Graduating from university with several undergraduate degrees and a couple of post-graduate degrees let me move into the Academic realm for my teaching, and expand the subjects taught. Teaching more traditional college courses was no different from teaching skiing. All I needed to do was make the subjects interesting enough to hold the attention of my students. They did the rest. :)

And like you. I still can't spell either. Thank God for 'spell checker!'

HelloDolly: "You might want to reread the article.

Here is part of it

"Moral conduct for Buddhists differs according to whether it applies to the laity or to the Sangha or clergy. A lay Buddhist should cultivate good conduct by training in what are known as the "Five Precepts". These are not like, say, the ten commandments, which, if broken, entail punishment by God. The five precepts are training rules, which, if one were to break any of them, one should be aware of the breech and examine how such a breech may be avoided in the future."

Some where in the translation some thing got lost these are more like guidelines not rules notice there is no penalty.

The article goes on to say there are over 200 rules for members of the clergy or what ever the Thai term would be. The worst penalty would be being thrown out of the order. For instance if they have sex out they go. They have nothing to do with the lay people.

Also none of them tell a minority to lay down rules for majorities that they can use as an excuse to penalize the majority and enrich their own coffers."

*************************************************************************************************************************

You in turn should reread my post. I clearly indicated the difference between the lay Buddhists and ordinary followers or laity. Note that there are 227 rules for the laity who are the highest people in Buddhism!

And the same web site indicates all kinds of rules involving the 5 precepts (which are nothing but rules broadly put anyway, right?) including refraining from doing many things like becoming intoxicated, stealing etc. \ which apply to all Buddhists. Almost every story about the Buddha dwells on "right" conduct vs. "wrong" conduct.

You are specifically wrong as relates to sex/sensual conduct. Read the 3rd precept which applies to everyone, not just the monks: "3) To undertake the training to avoid sensual misconduct. This precept is often mistranslated or misinterpreted as relating only to sexual misconduct but it covers any overindulgence in any sensual pleasure such as gluttony as well as misconduct of a sexual nature." ( From the source I linked above). "Most religions have rigid, elaborate rules about sexual conduct. Buddhists have the Third Precept -- in Pali, Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami -- which is most commonly translated "Do not indulge in sexual misconduct" or "Do not misuse sex." See http://buddhism.abou...sm.htm Again, the 3rd precept applies to all.

Or read this: "The third precept, the training in awareness of our sexual energies, is no more or less important than the other four precepts ((lots of rules!!)). It is considered equally dangerous to hit or kill sentient beings, to steal, to lie, or to get so intoxicated we can’t control ourselves, as it is to participate in unwholesome sexual activities. The key goal is to learn, specifically, how to avoid harming oneself and others."

And this:

"Breaking and keeping the precept

Any sexual action (of body or speech) that causes harm, uses violence or force, or humiliates anyone is a failure to live up to the precept.

To keep the precept, the Buddha recommends the following:

“Abandoning misconduct in sensual pleasures, he abstains from misconduct in sensual pleasures; he does not have intercourse with women who are protected by their mother, father, mother and father, brother, sister, or relatives, who have a husband, who are protected by law, or with those who are garlanded in token of betrothal.” (MN41.12 Nanamoli/Bodhi)

This excerpt is addressed to males, but the recommendation to females is easy enough to deduce: abstain from intercourse with people who are committed to another partner, or who are vulnerable in some way. Don’t take advantage of or abuse people sexually.

Below the Buddha describes a couple of instances of breaking the precept, and their results:

“Not to be contented with one’s own wife, and to be seen with harlots and the wives of others — this is a cause of one’s downfall.

Being past one’s youth, to take a young wife and to be unable to sleep for jealousy of her — this is a cause of one’s downfall.” (SN1.6, tr. Narada Thera)" Source: http://buddhasadvice...om/sex/ NOTE ALL THE RULES GOVERNING CONDUCT IMPOSED BY THE 5 PRECEPTS.

Is there really no punishment in Buddhism? Hardly, it comes about through the concept of Karma and the rebirth one has. Act like a weasel, come back as a worm. That's pretty tough punishment!

Edited by TheVicar