Gangnam Style Leads To Gunplay Again In Thailand

webfact

'Gangnam Style' leads to gunplay again in Thailand

ga1.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Psy’s global K-pop megahit Gangnam Style is making the news in Thailand again – for all the wrong reasons.

Two young men in Ubon Ratchathani Province in northeast Thailand are in serious condition after a man shot them, one in the face, with a shotgun in the early hours of Sunday morning, according to newspaper Khao Sod.

Their crime? Dancing the chubby Korean superstar’s trademark Gangnam Style “horse dance” at a temple fair.

The alleged shooter, Wichet “Boy” Kunket, 19, is on the run.

His alleged victims had been partying at Ban Non Hong Thong Temple in Rai Noi Subdistrict, during a fair celebrating the offering of new robes to the monks there.

When the trouble started, Worakit Chankong, 24, and “Lek”, whose name has been changed because he is 17, were dancing in front of the mor lam stage (mor lam is a type of bass-heavy Northeastern dance music).

But rather than dancing in traditional style, with its elegant arm movements, the pair were performing Psy’s horse dance.

For some reason, Wichet was angered by this display and approached the two looking for a fight, Lek told Khao Sod. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...in-in-thailand/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-11-12

footer_n.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at 2 mor lam partys on the weekend and they are all playing this song as a crowd starter. I'm amazed by how many Thai's know the dance and have fallen in love with it.

The issue here is Alcohol and not the song being played. Young 19 year old boys gt plastered on cheap whiskey that could kill them one way or another. I have seen it first hand and nobody stops Young boys from drinking till they fall down.

• Like 1

Lets blame someone or something else again, Thai style. Sorry, but PSY has played zero part in this.

Exactly, but its not only Thailand.. It seems to be the whole world..

Videos..

Video games..

Now music..

I wonder when the parents will be seen to hold some responsibility over their children?..

• Like 2

What is less appropriate... :

a) Dancing at a temple Gangnam Style

b ) Shotting somebody in the face at a temple

c) Claiming a dance is respible for somebody being shot

All of them???

Isn't drinking alcohol at a temple against buddist precepts too?

• Like 2

I would love to shoot anyone I see dancing to that stupid song!!!

Gee glad my daughter didn't invite you to her wedding where we ended the father/bride dance with that dance ... was a hoot to learn and perform with my daughter to the delight of the wedding guests. Gotta keep up with the latest to enjoy something different, perhaps you should give it a go ?? :)

I feel like shooting myself every time I hear the song now. For some reason I sat through a 19 contestant strong gangnam style dancing competition in a popular disco in Sukhumvit on Halloween. Where for 1h30 all the music you heard was 30 seconds of gangnam style 19 times with discussion in thai about the contestants in between.

I really hope this song loses popularity sooner rather than later.

What is less appropriate... :

a) Dancing at a temple Gangnam Style

b ) Shotting somebody in the face at a temple

c) Claiming a dance is respible for somebody being shot

If the reason for the shoting was the dance, then its a very extreme reaction, but is there something else behind the shooting, is it a long running disagreement or a rivalry?

Who knows but you get 10 points for spelling "Shooting correctly"wai2.gif .....so far we've had a shotting and a shoting but no shuting so far

I very seldom assume anything but it does seems strange this guy was wandering about like Wyatt Earp at the OK Coral in the first place.

The story is just sad since the two guys just had a good time (that is was young people are supposed to do before they get old and grumpy) , but to conclude that all off Thailand's youth is in problems based on that is simply nonsense.

I sometimes wonder if some of the members of this forum are being kept in Thailand against their own will ?

• Like 1

"'Gangnam Style' leads to gunplay again in Thailand"

Wrong- stupidity (probably backed by alcohol) and a short fuse leads to gunplay again in Thailand!

Not to mention lax control of illegal fire arms and a Ministry of the Interior cheap guns for provincial officials procurement programme that puts 200,000 cheap guns into irresponsible hands annually. Many of these later show up in shooting incidents.

• Like 2

Lets blame someone or something else again, Thai style. Sorry, but PSY has played zero part in this.

Exactly, but its not only Thailand.. It seems to be the whole world..

Videos..

Video games..

Now music..

I wonder when the parents will be seen to hold some responsibility over their children?..

Sad but true.