New To Forum And Also Thinking Of Moving

Hello,

I am new to the site and would like to say hello to everyone. I have a few questions that I think some of you may be able to help with from your own experiences.

My family (wife and 2 children aged 13 and 6) are planning to move to Chiang Mai while I continue contract work around Europe. We are all British citizens and don't intend to undertake employment in Thailand. The reason for the move is for them to have a better lifestyle, in a safe more relaxed environment, and also reduce our costs as currently having both children in private schools in London is a very high cost.

I contacted one of the international schools The school made it sound very easy for the children to get an ED visa and my wife an O visa as a guardian. I just wanted to ask your advice on this.

Is it simple and almost guaranteed as the school mentioned, for the children to get their visas?

In the case of my wife, how simple and guaranteed is it for her to get the O Visa?

Do you know the requirements for the O Visa for my wife?

Anyone moved in similar situation and could you share your experience?

Many thanks.

Getting the visa and extensions of stay is as the school has told you, simple and straight forward. The children will get extensions of stay under clause 2.9 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 and Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551. Your wife will get extensions under clause 2.11(5) of the same rules. The school will no doubt also assist with the application for extension at the immigration office.

Did they mention 500k will be required in bank account for wife to obtain extension of stay as below? Have you checked the school out? I ask this because the true international level schools are not considered to be inexpensive here (it is not cheap to have qualified international teachers living here) but there are a number of others which may not be up to international standards having that name so would be very careful.

(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a

local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than

Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3

months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the

bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the

application.

Be sure you get the visas before departing the UK.This will require documents proving enrollment in the school and birth certificates to prove parenthood. Your wife and children will need single entry visas which will give a 90 day entry which can will be extended at immigration. You also might be able to get a multiple entry non-o which would be valid for one year (immigration will only give one extension for parents). Use one of the honorary consulates in the UK (Hull is often mentioned as being good).

Edited by ubonjoe

Did they mention 500k will be required in bank account for wife to obtain extension of stay as below? Have you checked the school out? I ask this because the true international level schools are not considered to be inexpensive here (it is not cheap to have qualified international teachers living here) but there are a number of others which may not be up to international standards having that name so would be very careful.

(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a

local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than

Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3

months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the

bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the

application.

Thanks for all the replies and help. Lopburi, I've read about the money and that wouldn't be a problem, my only question is how does this work because I wouldn't have a bank account there before moving. Is this only required at time of extension after the first 90 days are granted and she's already there?

Be sure you get the visas before departing the UK.This will require documents proving enrollment in the school and birth certificates to prove parenthood. Your wife and children will need single entry visas which will give a 90 day entry which can will be extended at immigration. You also might be able to get a multiple entry non-o which would be valid for one year (immigration will only give one extension for parents). Use one of the honorary consulates in the UK (Hull is often mentioned as being good).

Ubonjoe, when you say immigration will only give one extension to parents, what exactly do you mean? What about when they start second, third year of school there? They can't be by themselves studying there, so what happens after this first year is finished?

Many thanks to all for helping, this is a lot to process :).

Yes required for the extension of stay - not for the initial visa entry.

He means only one parent can ride the extension for child - you would not be able to obtain such an extension if your wife has one. But you will not be living here so that should not be a problem.

He means only one parent can ride the extension for child - you would not be able to obtain such an extension if your wife has one. But you will not be living here so that should not be a problem.

Thanks, exactly I would only be visiting as a tourist every 3 months or so for no more than 30 days. But as long as the mom can extend it's fine.

I also have a question that just came up discussing it with my wife. As the children owuld be only doing one semester and the school only asks for fees for one semester, would they still be able to extend for 1 year do you know? Of course in the summer we would continue enrolment and pay another year in advance but for now they only want this year and that's only 1 semester or half depending if we move in Jan or March.

Cheers

I wonder why you pick Chiang Mai in Thailand? Also are you aware of the yearly environmental concerns in that area? During about 3 months out of the year Chiang Mai, and the surrounding areas in the North are covered in smoke from forest fires, and the burning off of the fields in Thailand, and the surrounding countries. It is not a minor inconvenience. Planes are grounded it gets so bad.

Have you thought about how difficult it will be for your kids, and wife not being able to speak Thai, and living there? Have you explored medical concerns if something happens? If your wife was Thai that would be a serious reason for this move, but just to save money for the kids to go to a private school leaves much to be desired.

I wonder why you pick Chiang Mai in Thailand? Also are you aware of the yearly environmental concerns in that area? During about 3 months out of the year Chiang Mai, and the surrounding areas in the North are covered in smoke from forest fires, and the burning off of the fields in Thailand, and the surrounding countries. It is not a minor inconvenience. Planes are grounded it gets so bad.

Have you thought about how difficult it will be for your kids, and wife not being able to speak Thai, and living there? Have you explored medical concerns if something happens? If your wife was Thai that would be a serious reason for this move, but just to save money for the kids to go to a private school leaves much to be desired.

There are many reasons apart from money for the move, including safety, healthcare and others. I have been to numerous places in Asia including Thailand and we always wanted to do a life there. I don't know when was the last time you were in London but just last week a boy the same age as my son's was murdered for no reason 1 mile from our house while he was celebrating his birthday. This is one of many cases. Health care in the NHS is getting worst due to over crowding, so bad that despite paying my taxes I had to wait 8 months to have an MRI done. We've been researching Chiang Mai for some time and plan to visit and spend some time very soon before making the final decision, but before doing so we are trying to gather as much information as possible about the feasiility of it in terms of immigration etc. Thank you for your words fo advice and pointing these issues to me.

Cheers

Thanks, exactly I would only be visiting as a tourist every 3 months or so for no more than 30 days. But as long as the mom can extend it's fine.

I also have a question that just came up discussing it with my wife. As the children owuld be only doing one semester and the school only asks for fees for one semester, would they still be able to extend for 1 year do you know? Of course in the summer we would continue enrolment and pay another year in advance but for now they only want this year and that's only 1 semester or half depending if we move in Jan or March.

Cheers

We enrolled our son at St. Andrews International here in Rayong - yes the tuition is paid in full each semester but the student visa issued will be valid for 1 year and extended each year. The school will issue the necessary documents and you take them to immigration yourself. Should be no problem at all.

yes the the above are some negative points to consider with the exception of medical facilities which I think are quite good in Thailand. On the positive side - moving to a totally new environment and culture can also open your family's horizons. Our son has a better and wider view of the world which we consider to be a positive outcome. Having lived in Vietnam, Indonesia and now Thailand - he met friends from many different countries of the world which can only benefit him. In fact he can speak fluently, read and write Vietnamese, Indonesian, English and Thai.