Opticians

Yes unfortunately they have closed and will not reopen on Samui. The staff told me about 6 weeks ago that they would close late October and the owner would move to Chiangmai and open a shop there.

A real pity because it was the only optical shop I have used since 18 years. Very good service and good quality merchandise. I know from the owner that they had struggled for the last few years with all the other chain optical shops that have sprung up.

Yes unfortunately they have closed and will not reopen on Samui. The staff told me about 6 weeks ago that they would close late October and the owner would move to Chiangmai and open a shop there.

A real pity because it was the only optical shop I have used since 18 years. Very good service and good quality merchandise. I know from the owner that they had struggled for the last few years with all the other chain optical shops that have sprung up.

But most of the others are rubbish sad.png

Yes, it depends on whether one needs a fully qualified optician... for more than just glasses, for correct eye testing, most of the shops, don't have..... (just the basic stuff) ....

Nathon hospital, does not have a replacement yet, for Dr Ping, who also left the island (who used to be in Chawang for evening appointments)

Gator, does not say what he really needs.... wink.png

Yes, it depends on whether one needs a fully qualified optician... for more than just glasses, for correct eye testing, most of the shops, don't have..... (just the basic stuff) ....

Nathon hospital, does not have a replacement yet, for Dr Ping, who also left the island (who used to be in Chawang for evening appointments)

He can't find the keys on the keyboard.
  • Like 2

cheesy.gif oh not...... another Big C...tongue.png

These guys need to get eyes tested too...

http://www.liveleak....=3c0_1351184890

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks as though I might have to go to BKK in future. What a great pity, the owner was a really caring person., I have been going there for over a decade and all my friends whom I sent there were well pleased with the service and price.

Gator

Wassa keyboard??

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks as though I might have to go to BKK in future. What a great pity, the owner was a really caring person., I have been going there for over a decade and all my friends whom I sent there were well pleased with the service and price.

Gator

I agree thumbsup.gif (but I am not going to go to Bangkok sick.gif )

I know you have problems with your Phone Gatorade.

I just bought my new mobile. Easy on the eyes.

Might be easy on the eyes but is the phone really big or is the guys head really small?biggrin.png

Don't keep it in your trouser pocket..... whistling.gif ........... laugh.png

Give this guy in Nanton a try, his English is good, I quite liked him... price not out of this world, either..... thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Where at the hospital? In the information counter? What's their connection with the hospital?

Well, he was the Optician at the Nathon hospital ... (unless we are not talking the same guy?, perhaps I'm having another "senior moment" ! ) blink.png

He suddenly upped & moved from Chawang a few months ago .... he used to open on evenings and week ends and work the hospital during the day.... right?

You have a much better command of Thai language, than most of us.... so I would think you have a better chance of sussing him out !!! wink.png

A case of asking at the hospital, seems to me someone there would know... ? ....

So start at info desk or even the Pharmacy people and nurses or try to catch a doctor ! ...

Apologies, if this is not the same guy! Thais have a real name and also a nickname... makes it hard to figure sometimes!

Where at the hospital? In the information counter? What's their connection with the hospital?

Well, he was the Optician at the Nathon hospital ... (unless we are not talking the same guy?, perhaps I'm having another "senior moment" ! ) blink.png

He suddenly upped & moved from Chawang a few months ago .... he used to open on evenings and week ends and work the hospital during the day.... right?

You have a much better command of Thai language, than most of us.... so I would think you have a better chance of sussing him out !!! wink.png

A case of asking at the hospital, seems to me someone there would know... ? ....

So start at info desk or even the Pharmacy people and nurses or try to catch a doctor ! ...

Apologies, if this is not the same guy! Thais have a real name and also a nickname... makes it hard to figure sometimes!

Jimmy,

Mole is looking for Sawan optical's address in Chian Mai, not the ophthalmologist that was on the ring road ex Nathon hospital.

@ Mole perhaps posing the question in the Chiang Mai forum,might yield some answers.

• Like 1

I found Sawang Optical's number: 081-735-0245

She said her son was going to study in Chiang Mai, so they moved there.

Their shop is still decorating and should be open by the end of January 2013.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

I had a problem with my eyes, discovered that specs are not always the answer. Had mine checked in BKK , Rutnin hospital, very very affordable & very thorough . It is an Eye hospital..

• 3 months later...

OK folks - so I am not going to trek up to Chiang Mai for new specs.

I just need to upgrade my old ones.

Does anyone know of an optician that they can recommend on Samui where

1 the optician actually knows how to test eyes, rather than having just read the manual

2 the optician looks like he/she is old enough to have had an education and some experience

3 the optician looks older than my grandkids (13 looking 20)

4 the optician knows how to centre the lenses correctly (I have had two sets of specs that made me sea-sick. The focal point was off centre!)

Please - there must be one good one surely?

(Sawang were brilliant! Sorry to loose them.)

OK folks - so I am not going to trek up to Chiang Mai for new specs.

I just need to upgrade my old ones.

Does anyone know of an optician that they can recommend on Samui where

1 the optician actually knows how to test eyes, rather than having just read the manual

2 the optician looks like he/she is old enough to have had an education and some experience

3 the optician looks older than my grandkids (13 looking 20)

4 the optician knows how to centre the lenses correctly (I have had two sets of specs that made me sea-sick. The focal point was off centre!)

Please - there must be one good one surely?

(Sawang were brilliant! Sorry to loose them.)

Check this link Tropo. The guy in Nathon, is good, Picture of shop there in the post.... He does not charge an arm and a leg, better than the shops, selling glasses!

You need to phone first, but i always got in same day I do that...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612983-2013-recommended-tradesmen-services-travel-teachers-baby-sitters-pet-care-etc/

• Like 1

Thanks Jimmy

I was hoping to avoid the overland expedition but...hey ho. Nathon here I come.wai.gif

Silly question - he's a doctor - does he sell specs? whistling.gif

By the way - picture is too small. Until I see him, I cannot read it.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

Thanks Jimmy

I was hoping to avoid the overland expedition but...hey ho. Nathon here I come.wai.gif

Silly question - he's a doctor - does he sell specs? whistling.gif

By the way - picture is too small. Until I see him, I cannot read it.thumbsup.gif

Not sure why the picture does not open to larger size..... & not sure I can find the original pic now w00t.gif ....tongue.png ... I just looked maybe on other computer somewhere,... rolleyes.gif

It's along the waterfront in Nathon, just past the first 7 -11 you go by .... look for the blue awning!!! (usually down in the afternoon) ...... If you are on the waterside of the road, it does say Eye Doctor above the awning!

He does have a small selection of glasses... and can arrange repair of glasses too....

I assume if new eye glasses needed and you don't like what he has, you can get a prescription and sort at any shop. (?)