Chiang Mai Governor: Stop Lanterns!

webfact

Stop lanterns!

The Nation

30194286-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Governor Thanin Supasaen has ordered 40 local administrative organisations to try to control the release of hot-air lanterns during the Loy Krathong to prevent harm and damage.

Airlines have agreed to stop flights from Chiang Mai after 6.30pm from November 27-29.

Thanin said the floating hot-air lanterns caused 30 blackouts lasting 13 hours last year. So, he had met relevant agencies to reduce risks, harm, or accidents.

Local organisations in Mae Rim, San Sai, Muang, Hang Dong and Saraphi districts have to stop locals releasing the lanterns. Or if they need to do so, they must inform the airport in advance. Revellers in other areas are allowed to release lanterns after 9.30pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-14

Till a plane crashes, nothing will stop these people. Third world Thainess.

No airplane is going to crash from a lantern.

Indeed

That's only because they are stopping the flights, and prudently so because a stick of those lanterns could indeed fatally disable any size aircraft climbing out at night over the city.

"hot-air lanterns caused 30 blackouts lasting 13 hours"

Can anyone explain to me how this is possible? The only think I can think is that the lanterns run into the lines - but even a stay childs balloon can run into lines at any time. Are the electric lines that fragile that the slightest disturbance would cause them to.....nevermind. I know that answer, TIT.

Edited by JeffreyWitty
  • Like 1

Looks like we can expect lots of bright moves from this newly appointed governor.

After the great re-launch of the project of a useless new airport to complete the destruction of Chiang Mai valley, here comes the Stop Lanterns campaign.

Tourists come to CM for the festivities. Lanterns are not launched because of the visitors.

The reschedule/reduction of flights during the 2-3 days of lanterns launch would make more sense. Stopping what makes people come for doesn't.

Local organisations in Mae Rim, San Sai, Muang, Hang Dong and Saraphi districts have to stop locals releasing the lanterns. Or if they need to do so, they must inform the airport in advance. Revellers in other areas are allowed to release lanterns after 9.30pm.

What need is there for these lanterns?

Can anyone explain to me how this is possible? The only think I can think is that the lanterns run into the lines - but even a stay childs balloon can run into lines at any time. Are the electric lines that fragile that the slightest disturbance would cause them to.....nevermind. I know that answer, TIT.

I have witnessed this the former years.

When a lantern crashes into lines, its thin steel wiring tying the burner or fireworks can provoke a shortcut between phases and therefor a temporary blackout.

As for a lantern fatally damaging an aircraft, I highly doubt it. I know a couple of foreign airline pilots, they enjoy flying to CM for Loy Kratong and never cried fool.

Aircraft's engines are designed to resist an impact at any operating speed/regime with natural obstacles like large birds (gooses...) that are somewhere 20 times the weight of a lantern. Birds may not have wiring but have a skeleton. Aircraft's have been flying through groups of birds without crashing.

But yes, should a lantern accidentally be sucked in an engine, they may have a few parts needing check or even replacement.

• Like 1

IMHO these can be quite dangerous. I went to Pon Phisai to see the Naga festival and people setting these off right and left and a few "crashed and burned” into the crowds before getting airborne. The event organizers pleaded with people to stop as this would distract them from the possibility of seeing this natural phenomena but were ignored (and no we didn’t see the Naga’s balls). My main concern is that these will start wildfires, and yes this can happen.

Edited by PoorSucker
Edited font for visibility

I have seen a few lately which look to have a type of small sky rocket attached on a delayed fuse. As it gets in the air the rocket gives the lantern a boost. ( I can't think of a better description than rocket)

I guess people will try to outdo each other and the whole festival will descend into madness in much the same way sorng kran has.

I have seen a few lately which look to have a type of small sky rocket attached on a delayed fuse. As it gets in the air the rocket gives the lantern a boost. ( I can't think of a better description than rocket)

I guess people will try to outdo each other and the whole festival will descend into madness in much the same way sorng kran has.

Not exactly a rocket, just a small firework type thingy that releases a shower of sparks like a large kiddie type sparkler.

Not exactly a rocket, just a small firework type thingy that releases a shower of sparks like a large kiddie type sparkler.

Indeed. There's no 'boost' or added danger from that.

Nah, light the lanterns. Let them fly hight!

We are all going to die soon enough. Have a little fun while we are at it. As for dumb things, most people are overweight, smoke, eat fast food, and don't exercise. On the scale of risk lanterns are about 1,000,000.

Thailand the Lantern Hub of Asia!! yeahhh

I have witnessed this the former years.

When a lantern crashes into lines, its thin steel wiring tying the burner or fireworks can provoke a shortcut between phases and therefor a temporary blackout.

As for a lantern fatally damaging an aircraft, I highly doubt it. I know a couple of foreign airline pilots, they enjoy flying to CM for Loy Kratong and never cried fool.

Aircraft's engines are designed to resist an impact at any operating speed/regime with natural obstacles like large birds (gooses...) that are somewhere 20 times the weight of a lantern. Birds may not have wiring but have a skeleton. Aircraft's have been flying through groups of birds without crashing.

But yes, should a lantern accidentally be sucked in an engine, they may have a few parts needing check or even replacement.

Aircraft engines are not designed to resist an impact as you have suggested, it is more likely that the first few rows of compressor blades would be destroyed which would then have all those blades going through the compressor turbine which would destroy it. I work on industrial gas turbines and they would never survive anything like that let alone a lightweight jet engine.

• Like 1

Till a plane crashes, nothing will stop these people. Third world Thainess.

No airplane is going to crash from a lantern.

You haven't seen MY lanternthumbsup.gif Taken me 3 months to build and we estimate it will hold a 747 and need an hour to get off the ground carrying a hansom payload of fuel and it pilot spot (an annoying soi dogbiggrin.png )
  • Like 1