Cleaning Up Corrosion On Aluminum

bunta71

A Thai lady friend has owned a Kawasaki Boss for about 8 years and has done zero maintenance all this time. She brought it to me to ride for a few months and I am cleaning it up and doing some repairs. The aluminum has moderate corrosion and I am wondering if there is a product available to help clean it up somewhat. Thanks in advance for any help and also advance Merry Christmas...

I used to use Brasso to buff up the polished frame and forks on my Honda VFR400 NC30.

Works a treat and can be found in all 7/11 shops near the household polishes and air fresheners. smile.png

Edited by karlos

I bought a tube of metal cleaner....in Big C if memory serves me correct. Thai brand in a white and green box. It helped cut through the grime on the chrome but it was slow going on the alloy bits that needed much work.

Rotary stuff is they way to go BUT in your case a fine grade wet and dry (use wet), lots of elbow grease then if you can find it, as mentioned before, Solvo Autosol. thumbsup.gif

I was wondering if there is a small foam wheel one can get that fits into an electric drill. I can get big foam disks (7") for a sander/linisher....but they are for auto body work. Any clues?

This is my Jap alternator which was a rough casting. Stripped it down and using a drill locked in a vice with rotary pads and different grades of polishing wax achieved a good result. smile.png

The intake manifold was done by a shop many years before. The pulleys which l machined, ended up with a nice finish which only needed Solvol Autosol.

post-41816-0-68684000-1353214514_thumb.j