Where To Go To Escape The Loy Krathong Mayhem?

WinnieTheKhwai

Are you people kidding me? My wife and I fly into CM on friday and there are two main reasons: one is the jazz festival on the 24th and the other is loi krathong the following week. We just love it, and we love all the thai people to get really excited about it.

Oh, and if you are afraid of the fireworks, you might wear a helmet.cheesy.gif

Pewe

so where would sensible people go who want to escape all this?

thinking of trying pai at the river. seems like it could be a relaxed and scenic lamp launch. a nice memory.

the problem with big events with many people is that nobody 'shuts up' long enough to see any significance in it. it just turns into a cluster fuc of people drinking, and acting like fools because its stressful to be stuck in a traffic jam or not have space around you without bumping into other people and you need to let off frustration or pretend your enjoying yourself.

it is a buddhist event, but don't know how the monks stand it.

Edited by jacktrip

If it only lasts 2 or 3 days then I don't see the problem. I've heard that the water festival in the spring can last a week or more and that is too long to stay inside if you don't want to get wet.

Right, the big difference though being that the water festival is actually FUN!

Loy Krathong on the other hand is a chore at best, kind of like having to go to church on Christmas eve.

• Like 1

If it only lasts 2 or 3 days then I don't see the problem. I've heard that the water festival in the spring can last a week or more and that is too long to stay inside if you don't want to get wet.

Loy Krathong on the other hand is a chore at best, kind of like having to go to church on Christmas eve.

I'll gladly trade you songkran for loy katong, as LK only lasts a couple of days and the action is far away enough from me that I can just lay back in a hammock and watch the pretty fires in the sky and hear the distant bombs. SK on the other hand goes on for up to 2 weeks of insane drinking and rudeness in the sweltering heat.

I'm already wondering where I'm going to escape SK this next year.......any ideas??

Nobody can deny the party-aspect of these holidays (2 in 1, floats and baloons). For many of us, it's still another excuse for a drunk, Thais too.

But perhaps we might note that some Thais greet the occasion with profound feelings of superstition, letting go of griefs to start anew, or making merit in the release of light. Its all very attractive, visually, as is the view of a believer releasing a little float. For those Thais, their moment of release might carry a feeling not unlike that experienced by those who suppose prayer is meaningful.

I have no 'spiritual' pretensions myself, but to ignore Thailand's aspects is to be blind on purpose.

• Like 1

If you want to leave the city, no need to go far. This is the best time of year to visit the national parks. Try Inthanon.

Personally, I like Loy Krathong (as I do Songkran), and don't find it too difficult to avoid the traffic congestion etc.

I'll gladly trade you songkran for loy katong, as LK only lasts a couple of days and the action is far away enough from me that I can just lay back in a hammock and watch the pretty fires in the sky and hear the distant bombs. SK on the other hand goes on for up to 2 weeks of insane drinking and rudeness in the sweltering heat.

I'm already wondering where I'm going to escape SK this next year.......any ideas??

I enjoyed Songkran for many years, but I have to admit that the more I turn into an old fart, the more of an imposition it seems to have my regular daily activities limited for a week or so.

angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

You come all the way to Thailand to mock the way they celebrate life. Go in your bed room shut the door pull the curtains and get your Thai wife to bring you in some food.

Just ignore the kids if they say Daddy how come we can not celebrate like all are friends do.

Heck my youngest is coming 12,000 miles just to be a part of a real celebration. They din't have any of them in the civilized countries.

note

civilized = nanny

Take it you've never been to Britain around November 5th then HD? 'Guy Fawkes' night, and normally the nearest weekend to it is firework time= loads get drunk and act stupid time. Many fires are caused by acts of dumbness and a few people die from firework injuries each year. I don't think Loy Kratong is any worse here especially in the villages where it is all rather pretty with people putting a lot of candles around their house walls etc and folks taking the kids to float home made Kratong's in the local River. Easy to stay away from the City and all the mayhem if that's what people want. Each to their own; I hope your youngest enjoys the occasion. Have fun.

If you're not having FUN during Loy Krathong, you are definitely doing it wrong!

-Mestizo

Schedule of Events:

Ongoing Activities

Nov. 25-29, 2012 – Light up the whole city by Lanna Lantern, Yee Peng Lantern and colorful lanterns around the old city moat, gate and 3 Kings Monument.

Nov. 27-29, 2012 – Arch Decorating Contest at temples and in the community in the Chiang Mai Municipal area

Nov. 27-29, 2012 – Krathong Making Contest & Showcase along the Old City Moat

Nighttime Activities

Nov. 26, 2012 – Lantern Parade from Thapae Gate to Pantip Plaza from 19.00-22.00

Nov. 27, 2012 – Small Krathong parade and contest (float along the ping river) from Thapae Gate to Chiang Mai Municipality Office (at the bank of Mae Ping River) from 19.00-23.00

Nov. 27, 2012 – Yee Peng Kids Contest at Thapae Gate from 19.00-24.00

Nov. 27-28, 2012 – Miss & Mr. Yee Peng Contest at Thapae Gate from 18.00-24.00

Nov. 27-29, 2012 – Music and cultural performances show at beside the Nawarat Bridge from 18.00-24.00

Nov. 28, 2012 Grand Krathong Procession and Contest from Thapae Gate to Chiang Mai Municipality Office (at the bank of Mae Ping River) from 18.00-24.00

Nov. 28-29, 2012 Fireworks show Float in the Mae Ping River from 20.00-24.00

Nov. 28-29, 2012 – Release Krathong Sai Lanna to the Ping River at in front of Chiang Mai Municipality Office (at the bank of Mae Ping River) from 19.00-21.00

Daytime Activities

Nov. 28, 2012 – Lantern and Giant Lantern Contest at Chiang Mai Municipality Office (at the bank of Mae Ping River) from 09.00-12.00

Nov. 28, 2012 – Krathong Making Contest at Chiang Mai Municipality Office (at the bank of Mae Ping River) from 09.00-17.00

Religious Activity

Nov. 27-29, 2012 – Chanting and giving alms at Wat Lok Mo Lee from 09.00-22.00

Nov. 27-29, 2012 – Respective Ritual ceremony to Phra Sirimangkalajarn at Chiang Mai Bhuddist Place from 09.00-22.00

Nov. 28, 2012 – Traditional Respective Ritual Ceremony to Phra Phum, white pagoda and the God of water at Chiang Mai Municipality Office and Sri Khong Pier from 08.09-10.30

Nov. 28, 2012 – Grand Chanting Ceremony at Wat Muang Sart Luang from 06.00-20.00

Source: http://chiangmaibest...thong-yee-peng/

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Are you people kidding me? My wife and I fly into CM on friday and there are two main reasons: one is the jazz festival on the 24th and the other is loi krathong the following week. We just love it, and we love all the thai people to get really excited about it.

Pewe

The major event is the Mae Jo Khom Loy release on Sat 24th Nov. approx 7pm.

At the Dhamma Centre behind Mae Jo University (about 12Km away from Cm up the 1001).

At the end of the 1,000s Khom Loys released is big fireworks show. All free.

Shame it clashes with your Jazz Festival.

post-152992-0-29508600-1352989529_thumb.post-152992-0-69155200-1352989544_thumb.post-152992-0-20992700-1352989562_thumb.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Well guess im going out in a blaze of glory and should see a few post festival lanterns on my way up and out...just hope knowing my luck it doesnt get sucked into the turbines--just when i thought i made it out alive...oh the huge manatee!!!!..glad i booked on the 30th as seems they canceled flights earlier!

Been for Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai once, to crowdy and dangerous.

Now I go to Chiang Dao.

Jeez that's like sticking your head in the sand. It is a festival. One of the Thai attractions. It seems to all happen on just one night. There will be some early celebrants but not enough to really take notice of unless you are looking for some thing to complain about.

Pewe

Not to worry they have aluminum wrap made into hats already.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Stay in your bed room on Christmas eve. Then you won't have to go. Works for me and millions of other people.

so will you be going to their xmas charity fund raiser or

leaving the mayhem of that to the rest of us as well ?

Ha. If I can get up early enough I mostly attend the Christmas morning thing they have on their grounds and that has got to be the most civilized gathering EVER in the history of expat Chiang Mai, and perhaps expat history of the world. The closest it gets to mayhem is decorating donuts & Danish with sprinkles a bit too extravagantly.

• Like 1