12 Foreign Tourists Arrested On "visa Run"

He denied K. Jutarat’s claims that the officers asked for 5,000 baht from each tourist in exchange for letting them go.

“I think that’s impossible. I can guarantee that the Tourist Police officers did not ask for money because we are not in trouble [financially] and I constantly remind them to not do that.

So i must asume that if a Tourist Police office IS in finacial trouble.. then it is perfectly justifiable to ask for the 5000B from each person?

To be honest Thailand does need to take a look at its immigration "Law" but lets face it it's not going to happen..

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's illegal, does need to be more simple than that.

Hello why do people take the immigration laws of Thailand so loosely, people need to wake up and always remember the Law is the Law...very silly people who think they can play a gme with immigration no matter what the local immigration officers s say...its simple DON'T overstay, i don't i i never have a problem

According to your own comment, even Thai immigration officers take the law 'loosely'. :D

"The Law is the Law"? How long have you been in Thailand? :o

i think the whole thing is stupid cuz u go there and you know how long your going to stay. why in the world would u ever overstay in the first place unless your retarded and change your ticket without thinking. then any reasonable person would get an extention or do the visa run a week or weeks before it expires. maybe people would take the law more serous if they chaged the over stay fine from 200 baht a day to 2000 baht a day. or just chage that whole thing...throw all the people who get caught in the airport in jail. just doesnt seem like this should ever happen. and its your own fault if it does. they really cant complain about it. and gesh...if they did ask for 5000 baht to get let off....hel_l yea id take it. you just got caught breaking the law....take the easy way out even if you gotta have then take ya down to the atm.... better then missing your flight and havin to pay 30000 baht for another ticket.

...if they did ask for 5000 baht to get let off....hel_l yea id take it. you just got caught breaking the law....take the easy way out . . .

Wouldn't that be breaking the law, Joe? Bribing a peace officer, obstruction of justice, conspiracy . . . We couldn't have that, now could we? :D:o

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:burp:

. . . the Law is the Law...very silly people . . .

Such a silly thing to say!!! :o The law is NOT the law! How naive! If "The Law is the Law", then people would not debate it here 24/7, 365 days per year! There would not be huge libraries needed to contain the millions and millions of pages of case law. There would not be tens of thousands of lawyers driving BMW's and sending their kids to ivy league schools; paid outrageous sums of money to explain the law, to interpret it, to advise about it, and to use it to advance their client's interests. There would not be vast systems courts to continually argue, debate, define and redefine the law.

Hardly anyone has any problems as a result minor overstays. It is understandable that the 12 busted in Rayong would be upset about it and resent that the law seemed to be capriciously, indiscriminately and arbitrarily applied in this situation. "Should" these guys have been more careful? Well you can should in one hand and shit in the other, and then see which hand is more full of it!

Aloha,

Rex

Well in this case the law is extremely clear, and I doubt that there is the need for case law or tens of thousands of lawyers to interpret that overstaying, if caught, will have consequences.

It is much the same as speeding in MANY countries; most of the time you do it and you get away with it. Sometimes you get caught. Sometimes after getting caught you can persuade the policeman to let you off. Sometimes if you dispute, you can persuade the judge of the circumstances involved, and get off. And if all this fails... well then you pay.

Hardly seems right to then complain if you are one of the few speeders to get caught and have to pay, that you have been singled out or unfairly treated because most of the other people get away with it. The law is clear enough in this case, and most of the time you can get away with it, but on this time, 'it is a fair cop'.

While there are ways to bend the law many ways here, from avoiding the draft, to avoiding tax, to dodgy immigration rules, at some point sometimes people get caught. They have no one really but themselves to blame, but should instead look to all the times they were able to get away with whatever it is that they were avoiding/dodging/doing. Much like speeding.

Anyway, he shouldn't complain; he could have paid a fine of sorts, perhaps 3000b with negotiation, and he would have been fine; instead he chose to dodge one law, then wasn't willing to dodge another. His loss, he chose to stay in jail. Clown.

How judgemental are we?!

Yes This over stay thing is getting very tight. Let me tell you a story. I went to C M immigration August 2005 for my 7th annual year Visa. All the usual, money in Bank, marry papers all like clock work now. I had to return 4 weeks later for a stamp, no visa from Bkk. I then Return 4 more weeks later, still no year visa from Bkk. Finnally, I got the year visa 4 months after the original application. But heres the pisser!!!!!!! As I had gone every 4 weeks, I didnt think to do the 90 day show your self stuff. So When I finnaly did, I was 110 days over stay! potentially, prision, at least 25K baht fine. But I showed my passport to the boss, and it clearely showed I had indeed gone every 4 weeks. I was lucky, They liked my face, they fined me 1000baht. :o

So dont over stay for any reason,even a genuine mistake can prove costly.

I thought I read on these posts last year they were going to stop the Visa runs?

Best regards Pip

Like Pip says there are sometimes REASONS why people overstay. I was genuinely ill last week when I was due to go to Immigration for a stamp (inside Thailand) so I called the police officers there and explained. When I arrived five days late one officer was a little strong but the big boss waved it completely. I am always extremely polite when I go there (wiithout crawling) and the big boss and I have had talks on world issues at times. Just an example of how some officers can be really nice and understand fellow humans. Seonai

Yes This over stay thing is getting very tight. Let me tell you a story. I went to C M immigration August 2005 for my 7th annual year Visa. All the usual, money in Bank, marry papers all like clock work now. I had to return 4 weeks later for a stamp, no visa from Bkk. I then Return 4 more weeks later, still no year visa from Bkk. Finnally, I got the year visa 4 months after the original application. But heres the pisser!!!!!!! As I had gone every 4 weeks, I didnt think to do the 90 day show your self stuff. So When I finnaly did, I was 110 days over stay! potentially, prision, at least 25K baht fine. But I showed my passport to the boss, and it clearely showed I had indeed gone every 4 weeks. I was lucky, They liked my face, they fined me 1000baht. :o

So dont over stay for any reason,even a genuine mistake can prove costly.

I thought I read on these posts last year they were going to stop the Visa runs?

Best regards Pip

You were not on overstay. You had failed to report your address every 90 days (after 7 years?). So you were subject to a fine that is normally 2,000 baht (but by law could be up to 5,000 baht).

In Australia if you overstay your visa you get locked up for years.

nonsense! they only lock you up if they genuinely believe you are not going to leave shortly; it is almost unheard of to lock up a western person for an overstay.

For almost all over stayers they give you up to a 30 day bridging visa so you can wrap up your affairs, then when you leave you are automatically banned for 2 years (or is it 3? i forget).

There was 1 case were we locked up a over stayer for more then 10 years

The reason people are kept in detention is because they refuse to go home & insist on pursuing every legal avenue there is to enable them to stay and this takes aeons.

Furthermore I have read posts from time to time suggesting Australia has the world's strictest immigration policy - this is also utter nonsense. We have very open immigration policies. It is the enforcement of our (relatively generous) immigration laws that is strict, not the laws.

But unfortunately, as is the case with other western nations, it is still a major pain to try to get a simple tourist visa for a Thai.....

“I think that’s impossible. I can guarantee that the Tourist Police officers did not ask for money because we are not in trouble [financially] and I constantly remind them to not do that.

Constantly, all the time, every day, every minute, I tell them and I tell them....

but the b$#%^rds still want the B5000

heheheh classic statement!!!

post-16784-1139557275_thumb.jpg

The company that arranged the tour claims that the arresting officers, from the Tourist Police and Highway Police, demanded 5,000 baht from each of the overstayed tourists in exchange for letting them go. The police strenuously deny this.

Did anyone think that they would strenuously admit it? Having personally witnessed this very same kind of shakedown tactic, I'm inclined to side with those who claim it took place.

Waiting till the last minute to take care of these details seems to be the bigger problem here when all of these folks know better.

But why did the Aussie that overstayed only 1 day wanted to do a visa run if he anyways has planned to leave the country 2 days later ????

He should have had better information

I agree this is hard to understand, I've overstayed a number of times, by up to 6 days on one occasion. Each time the Immigration at Don Muang have simply charged me 100bht a day, though on the 6 day instance they did ask for 6,000 bht. I laughed and said, you mean 600 don't you? Their response was to laugh and comment, "Ah Mr David you have done this before yes?" "You are wearing a La Coste shirt so 6,000Bht is nothing". My response was that it was a Bangkok La Coste so 600 was much better. Everyone had a chuckle and off I went. I guess new guys need to learn the ropes sometimes it costs to do so. :o

Constantly, all the time, every day, every minute, I tell them and I tell them....

but the b$#%^rds still want the B5000

heheheh classic statement!!!

Maybe they could bargain next time or make a turist package with the police, something like 10,000 for the dozen... :D

I always try to follow the laws and regulations (except for the max speed), but I was totally ignorant about how strict was this, now I know, is good to learn from somebody else's experience, I like Thailand, but I'm pretty sure jails are not nice... :o

… or soften the regualtion so that an offender can go to an immigration office, pay a fine and get maybe 3 days extension to legally leave the country.
According to what I have read on this forum, this possibility exists already. If you find yourself accidentally on overstay, go to the nearest Immigration office, volunteer to pay the overstay fine and apply for an extension, whereby 10 days extension is usually granted to holders of a 30-day stamp on arrival, for a fee of THB 1,900.

Lopburi, correct me if I’m wrong.

---------------

Maestro

Som Nam Na! :D

What the f*** is that ? Pathetic attempt to make a point in English speaking forum using thai phrase as sort of latin words of wisdom ?

Poshol ty na huy, dolboyob!

Chill pill time! It is not uncommon to use Thai loan words or phrases on Thai Visa Forum. See all the time. :o

What Thaistyx wrote is actually an accurate response. Can you even understand the meaning of the Thai phrase in relation to the topic or is that what has made you so upset?

The overstayers were caught and have to pay the price very simple. Luck only a night in jail and minor fines.

… or soften the regualtion so that an offender can go to an immigration office, pay a fine and get maybe 3 days extension to legally leave the country.
According to what I have read on this forum, this possibility exists already. If you find yourself accidentally on overstay, go to the nearest Immigration office, volunteer to pay the overstay fine and apply for an extension, whereby 10 days extension is usually granted to holders of a 30-day stamp on arrival, for a fee of THB 1,900.

Lopburi, correct me if I’m wrong.

---------------

Maestro

If you are on overstay it is too late for an extension and you had better head for the airport with ticket in hand. Extend or leave before it becomes a factor.

In Australia if you overstay your visa you get locked up for years.

nonsense! they only lock you up if they genuinely believe you are not going to leave shortly; it is almost unheard of to lock up a western person for an overstay.

For almost all over stayers they give you up to a 30 day bridging visa so you can wrap up your affairs, then when you leave you are automatically banned for 2 years (or is it 3? i forget).

There was 1 case were we locked up a over stayer for more then 10 years

The reason people are kept in detention is because they refuse to go home & insist on pursuing every legal avenue there is to enable them to stay and this takes aeons.

Furthermore I have read posts from time to time suggesting Australia has the world's strictest immigration policy - this is also utter nonsense. We have very open immigration policies. It is the enforcement of our (relatively generous) immigration laws that is strict, not the laws.

But unfortunately, as is the case with other western nations, it is still a major pain to try to get a simple tourist visa for a Thai.....

Same in New Zealand but I know of a Thai that was deported within 24 hours even with a kiwi husband. I think 5 years before she can re-apply.

I believe that they had to pay 5000 baht so they could go travel further.

I know somebody who is already one Month in jail for overstay. When you have to go to the court, you can be released if you show the bank guarantee. This can be 1000 baht, but also much and much more and it doesn't mean that you are free.

They will keep your passport till the case is done. if you don't have the money, you will stay in prission till the money is paid.

Be aware that you are in Thailand. Foreign people have less rights and have to pay much more than Thai people. They will trow you in the prisson with others. 140 people in one room is normal and you spend between, killers, gays, aids patients etc.

Amazing Thailand

I know somebody who is already one Month in jail for overstay. When you have to go to the court, you can be released if you show the bank guarantee. This can be 1000 baht, but also much and much more and it doesn't mean that you are free.

They will keep your passport till the case is done. if you don't have the money, you will stay in prission till the money is paid.

Be aware that you are in Thailand. Foreign people have less rights and have to pay much more than Thai people. They will trow you in the prisson with others. 140 people in one room is normal and you spend between, killers, gays, aids patients etc.

Amazing Thailand

================================================================

You're definately NO Einstein; where do you get off, listing "Gay People" in the same line-up with "Killers", Aids-Patients" etc ? ? ? ? ?

Go and smell some roses, mate ! !

It's a no brainer really. Don't overstay. Take the bus the day before not after. :D

Hard concept isnt it???? :o

I think you're missing the point. I went to immigration in Chiang Mai to extend for 2 weeks or 10 days or whatever it is they give you. I was going to be pretty busy for just 6 days past the last day of the visa. They told me I should go to Mae Sai and pay 1200 baht in overstay fees instead as it would be cheaper for me.

Some of these guys were given the same advice, then they end up in jail for the night.

In australia if you overstay your visa you get locked up for years.

There was 1 case were we locked up a overstayer for more then 10 years :o

I overstayed 5 months in Australia - unintentionally. Didn't even know about it before I was walking through passport control at Brisbane airport when they pulled me over. Nothing happened except I was told orally that I couldn't return to Oz for 3 years. No papers signed or anything, just a discussion of why it had happened.

(I was a student and extended my studies by one semester and forgot to extend the student visa - my mistake)

It sure seems like the powers that be don't want to have tourists visit this place. Everytime you turn around, there's a new story about tourists being murdered, abused, raped, thrown in jail, yada, yada, yada.

LOS - Laughing's Over Siam

Who tipped off the tourist police that the company was assisting illegal aliens into Burma. Could it be one of the other "visa run" companies?? I have done one organised visa run before deciding not to put my life in the hands of some he11 bent speed freak.The first thing they made clear was that they would not accept overstays on board because of the hold ups at immigration. Maybe some companies are a bit pizzed off with the hold ups this company are creating with overstayers and decided to put an end to it themselves. Just a thought.

It sure seems like the powers that be don't want to have tourists visit this place. Everytime you turn around, there's a new story about tourists being murdered, abused, raped, thrown in jail, yada, yada, yada.

LOS - Laughing's Over Siam

Sorry, haven't seen any significant increase in that news, and this is hardly discouraging to the 99.9% of tourists who don't seem to have problems following fairly clear, simple laws- there is a date in your passport when you arrive, if you stay beyond that you are overstaying.... the end.

Rest assured that people who cannot abide by fairly simple laws and regulations are probably not doing this country any favours, so I am all in favour of less tourism if it means kicking out the idiots. As I stated earlier, the guy could have avoided all this problem if he'd paid up; don't do the crime if you can't do the time (or pay your way out in advance).

I have been in Thailand for 4 years and have never overstayed my visa.

Seems to me, if 12 out of 34 people overstayed their visa on that bus, thats over

35%. And if I were immigration police and that big of percent of the foreigners were

deciding to treat the compliance of a law with this kind of indifference, then I would

feel they they are taking the piss on me.

It is there job to enforce this law, and if people are basically disrespecting their job

and therefore disrespecting them, then if I were them, once in a while I would

take a couple of them and make an example out of them, to send to the rest of the foreigners.

"Its not your right to choose which laws you think are important and which are not."

To those that are complaining that they need to make the punishment for breaking a law

the same in every occurance........does your mommy know that you are reading websites like this

with adult content on them?

Edited by cutter007

Amazing Thailand

================================================================

You're definately NO Einstein; where do you get off, listing "Gay People" in the same line-up with "Killers", Aids-Patients" etc ? ? ? ? ?

Go and smell some roses, mate ! !

You got it! I had to read the sentence twice just to check I'd read it right. And more to the point, where do you get off listing gay people & AIDS patients along with killers? True many people get AIDS from needle sharing, but it's not a crime to get ill. Funnily enough, it's often the 'straight' people in prison who commit the 'carnal offences against the laws of nature' as many laws like to word it. I wonder if the 'etc' includes such radical & despised groups such as men, women, diabetics & cancer patients...?? :o