12 Foreign Tourists Arrested On "visa Run"

Overstay 12 still in jail, face deportation

RANONG: A group of 12 foreign tourists arrested for overstaying their visas have spent their second night sleeping on the floor of a jail cell at Ranong Police Station.

Ranong Immigration Police, who have announced that they will deport the group, say they are only following “standard procedures” and will send the 12 to an Immigration detention center in Bangkok “soon”.

The group were arrested by a team of six Highway and Tourist Police officers at about 11 on Wednesday morning while on their way to Ranong and Burma for a “visa run” in the well-known “Big Bus”.

The bus was in Kapoe District, just 40 kilometers from the Ranong Immigration office, when it was stopped and the 12 were separated from the other passengers on board and placed in custody.

The most that any of the 12 had overstayed was six days.

Speaking from his prison cell, one of the detainees, a 31-year-old Australian man on his second trip to Thailand, told the Gazette:

“I can’t believe what has happened. The want to send us to the Bangkok Detention Center, from where they will deport us to our home countries – all because of a one-day overstay [in my case].

It was our second night sleeping on the dirty floor, with mosquitoes. I am black and brown from dirt.”

Some members of the group had contacted their embassies, he said, but been told, “Sorry. You are being deported – there is nothing we can do, it’s all part of ‘due process’.”

He said the group members had thought they would be released after paying 1,000-baht fines at Ranong Court yesterday. But they had been misled.

“The public prosecutor told us that if we just admitted to the Court what we did and paid a 1,000-baht fine, they would let us go to Immigration and we could complete our visa trip. We paid, but when we got to Immigration they fingerprinted us and said, ‘You’re being deported – immediately’.

Jutarat Payonchart, an employee of Phenpat Co Ltd, which runs the visa run service, told the Gazette from the Ranong courthouse this afternoon that the police had overreacted in incarcerating the visa runners.

“Why did they have to keep them overnight in a cell? These aren’t illegal aliens trying to hide out in the country,” she said, adding that most had overstayed by just one or two days.

Speaking from his prison cell, the Australian told the Gazette, “We sent money for the tsunami problem. We like the Thai people and want to visit – and then we got s**t on.

“We are part of one of their tours, where everyone makes money. We spend money in Phuket, we want to stay here. It’s good for the economy, good for everyone. And now we are just being s**t on.

“We’ve been treated like animals, sleeping on the ground. I’ve never been locked up before in all my life. It’s absolutely disgusting. You cannot trust the Tourist Police anymore. They are supposed to be on our side, helping us. But now they have gone against us and made a big problem for us.

“This is absolute crap, of course. They must have another agenda. Only they know what it is; I can only speculate. This is completely wrong. I have spoken to other tourist police and they say, ‘This is unbelievable.’ There are a few bad apples involved and they have created major, major problems.

“I’ve lost flights, lost my money … it’s ridiculous,” he said, adding that he did not want to give his name “at this stage” as it might jeopardize any remaining chance of regaining his freedom and avoiding deportation.

Those chances appear slim, however.

Pol Capt Weerachai Phugkesorn of the Ranong Immigration Office told the Gazette that all 12 foreigners were arrested because they had overstayed their visas.

Among those facing deportation were English, Korean, German, Vietnamese, French, Italian and Swedish nationals, none of who had overstayed by more than six days, he admitted.

He stressed that the arrest, confinement and deportation of the tourists did not reflect a change in Ranong Immigration’s long-standing and relaxed policy when it comes to overstays.

“It’s true that if people arrive at our office and have overstayed their visas we just fine them 200 baht per day of overstay. But it was [another police division] that arrested them, not us. If they hadn’t been arrested, we would have just fined them as usual.

“The case went to court, where the judge rendered a decision. They were sent to us by the police and we are just following the provisions of the Immigration Act by transferring them to Bangkok for deportation,” Capt Weerachai said.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, Assistant Director of TATs Region 4 Office in Phuket, said he believed the arrests would have no impact on tourism as long they were legal.

Foreign tourists would be more confident of their safety if they knew they the police were carrying out their duties strictly according to the law, he added.

Source: The Phuket Gazette 10-2-06

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting topic. I woke up this morning planning a trip to Immigration because I've got a trip to the States scheduled for the 14th but my visa expires on the 11th. That would have meant a 600 baht fine for a 3 day overstay but I didn't want to take any chances - to me the extra 1300 baht is cheap insurance and I want my record absolutely spotless - no overstays, ever.

So after I woke up, logged on and read this topic, needless to say I jumped in the truck and headed straight to Immigration and took care of business as planned.

Overstaying is for those folks who aren't quite on top of their situation, which on that particular bus was about 35% of the farangs on board.

"Tourists" on a "visa-run" sounds a bit like an oxymoron. For sure these have not been tourists in the usual sense, visiting Thailand for her beaches and bitches and other natural beauties.

I am not condemning anybody staying here and doing visa-runs, but by all means never, ever <deleted> with immigration, never mind in Thailand or anywhere else.

In over 30 years living in foreign, mainly Asian, countries I know, it is a MUST to have your p/ports and chops in order.

While myself never missed a visa-date, I missed it once for my wife (and son) in another, nearby country in Asia. Result. Fine (ok no deportation), BUT a few days later: NO MORE VISA IN HONG KONG, remark: You have overstayed, so no visa this afternoon, come back next week, and don't try to go back as tourist, you are on the black-list.

Last year, I nearly lost my leg in an accident. I was 25 days over before the doctor gave me the all clear to travel. I decided to go to Suan Plu in the faint hope that the fine would be waived. 1,900 for an extension and 5,000 fine.

Years ago, I had a bit of bother with police upcountry and was out on bail for three months. During that time, at another interview, it was pointed out that I was 30 days over by the Chief of Police there. He could have arrested me again on the spot, but didn't as he understood that I was trying to comply with the Judge's direction not to attempt to leave the country until the matter was fully investigated (still had my passport, believe it or not). 36 days later, I was in Ranong trying to explain away a 7,200 fine. No way, but they were understanding.

I've got no time for idiots who are one or two days over, almost certainly through neglect on their part. They have no excuse at all.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

:o:D

what for a CRAP . they want to cover -up they own mistake's with farang's in the past.

ok...when you overtsay some month... but a day ... eh... this is a @##$$%

:D:D

dont't trust the thaipolice...

sometimes they shot you!

Edited by lung

I want my record absolutely spotless - no overstays, ever.

So after I woke up, logged on and read this topic, needless to say I jumped in the truck and headed straight to Immigration and took care of business as planned.

Overstaying is for those folks who aren't quite on top of their situation, which on that particular bus was about 35% of the farangs on board.

Well done Jing Jing good to hear that you were in time.........worth its weight in gold this little site ...innit :o ....thats why its called......thaivisa :D

what for a CRAP . they want to cover -up they own mistake's with farang's in the past.

ok...when you overtsay some month... but a day ... eh... this is a @##$$%

dont't trust the thaipolice...

sometimes they shot you!

Yes, that's the problem with the law: they always draw a line. :D

It's like just killing someone, as opposed to really killing them.

It's just not fair! :D

Perhaps they should change the law to include overstay and overstay-only-a-bit... :o

I have lived here for 12 years, and a German friend with a Garment Factory, has lived here 16 years. Neither of us has any problem with overstays. The only problem I have had was when my Company used a Mr. Fixit to arrange my Non-Immigrant B Visa in Hawaii without my visiting Hawaii along with many others. The Immigration police targeted the Company and then they gave us a hard time. Fortunately, I read and write Thai, am married to a Thai with three children, and spoke politely to them, so was OK at that time.

However, later they would not grant me a Visa extension because of this, and despite having a Company with a very good turnover paying tax, they made me leave the Country. I then flew to Singapore, got back on the same plane and was given another 3 month Visa on arrival. I then got married and was given another 1 year visa. Incidently, they took a pretty dim view of the fact that I did not have an entry stamp for Singapore, and although I pointed out that Thai Law only states that you must leave the Country when your Visa expires, and does not say you must enter another Country, they didn't think it funny. Apparently this was also happening in Nong Kai.

It seems to me that Police are targeting the Mr. Fixit Company that these guys were using to arrange Visas runs, possibly because the Company is may now be out of favour.

The immigration officers have known my wife [Thai], and our children for 12 years. We met in the UK and the Eldest Child was born in the UK and has a British passport. My wife never has a problem with overstay if she forgets to go to extend our British Daughter's Visa. Nor has she ever been asked to report every 90 days. The immigration officers have always been very helpful to us. However, I have seen Farangs at immigration with what would appear to be Esaan Bar Girls, and they have arrived carrying all the documentatiion necessary to get a one year married visa, complete with Bank Statements etc. The immigration Officer who I have known for years, give sthem short shrift often refuses the Visa, or makes it extemely difficult.

My German friend has been in business here for years. He has two children by his Thai partner and is still married to his German wife who runs the German end of the Fashion House. Both wives get on very well, and his eldest son is now at school in Germany. He is constantly travelling at least once a month to Hongkong, Korea or Germany so hardly ever has more than a one month Visa which he can extend if he remembers. Quite a number of times he overstays, and pays the fine with no problems.

The immigration officers are constantly falling over backwards to help him and despite not being married, they point out that if you show your Thai Childs birth certificate, they will give a 3 month visa on entry.

He is quite often stopped by the Police, most recently 3 times for not wearing a seatbelt. He always refuses to pay and after a few minutes arguing, the police give up and let him go.

I must conclude that the police are not targeting farangs with families here, we never have problems, even when in the wrong [TIT].

I do know that they do not want what they consider to be undisireables. Which is probably single men with less than B5000 in their pockets whilst heading for the border on a Visa run.

It's just not fair! :D

Perhaps they should change the law to include overstay and overstay-only-a-bit... :o

Well, why not givng an overstayer (and you have read a few posts here that overstaying does not automatically mean willfully ignoring the law, it could mean staying in a hospital, or getting misinformed by the immigration as well) a chance to clear his status by going to the Immigration and paying a fee. Yes, it could be a progessive fee, with 100 Baht for the first few days, then more and more .....

Don't just tell me "It's the law!" Almost nobody here in Thailand follows the law!

Sunny

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, Assistant Director of TATs Region 4 Office in Phuket, said he believed the arrests would have no impact on tourism as long they were legal.

Foreign tourists would be more confident of their safety if they knew they the police were carrying out their duties strictly according to the law, he added.

and just before:

Pol Maj Songproad Sirikul, the new head of the Ranong Tourist Po lice, .........

He denied K. Jutarat’s claims that the officers asked for 5,000 baht from each tourist in exchange for letting them go.

“I think that’s impossible. I can guarantee that the Tourist Police officers did not ask for money because we are not in trouble [financially] and I constantly remind them to not do that.

Hillarious!

Two more candidates for a minister's seat in the Thaxin Cabinet of clowns and morons!

They have all required qualifications!

Sunny

Well, why not givng an overstayer (and you have read a few posts here that overstaying does not automatically mean willfully ignoring the law, it could mean staying in a hospital, or getting misinformed by the immigration as well) a chance to clear his status by going to the Immigration and paying a fee. Yes, it could be a progessive fee, with 100 Baht for the first few days, then more and more .....

Don't just tell me "It's the law!" Almost nobody here in Thailand follows the law!

Sunny

That sounds a bit open to interpretation...why not have this scheme instead:

overstay 1 day is free (in case flight leaves slightly late or something)

more than 1 day is 200b

If you are caught overstaying, then you may be put in jail at the discretion of the police

Sounds feasible, of course this being Thailand according to most it will never be followed; nevertheless maybe I should suggest this to the police :o:D:D

The point of contention is, that overstay for a few days is advised to be OK by a number of immigration offices as well as some embassies (have the French changed their recommending overstay as 'no problem'?).

So it's hardly individuals who are too lazy or untogether to get their visa sorted, Thai and other officials don't see it as a problem either.

How would the average tourist know? (TV-members have no excuse, of course)

more than 1 day is 200b

That's already implemented at Bangkok International Airport. Good on them, but it does add to the confusion: Why may some overstay for one day free of charge, while others get jailed and deported for it? :o

Who tipped off the tourist police that the company was assisting illegal aliens into Burma. Could it be one of the other "visa run" companies?? I have done one organised visa run before deciding not to put my life in the hands of some he11 bent speed freak.The first thing they made clear was that they would not accept overstays on board because of the hold ups at immigration. Maybe some companies are a bit pizzed off with the hold ups this company are creating with overstayers and decided to put an end to it themselves. Just a thought.

I agree it's most likely another "big bus" company that paid the police to shake down this one for one reason or another.

The problem is that the 12 farang pawns in this game are spending a second night in a cell and will be deported... Although I agree that the law should not be broken I feel that a certain amount of clemency should be granted over a difference of one or two sunsets. Monday they were happy farangs in the land of smiles... Friday they are criminals who are blacklisted and deported. If put into perspective I think it has little to do with whether they had the right ink splodged onto thier papers and alot to do with making an example of them. Imagine the stories they will tell back in Farangland - is this the image Thailand wants to give abroad? Don't forget that these people were coming from Phuket which is still trying to recover from the Tsunami.

The whole visa run thing is a bit dated. They should just setup automated kiosks (like at the airport) where visa runners and those without WPs or PR can just pay for their overstays per day. Get caught without your daily receipt and THEN you get deported.

:o

:D

Bad advice given in my opinion here. Firstly do not overstay. If you do then exit via the airport. If you are not stopped and make it to immigration then its a simple process; pay 200 Baht a day for every day that you have overstayed with a max fine of 20000 Baht.

HOWEVER should you be stopped going to the airport or before then thats when the problems start :o Firstly if it is on a Friday YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF IN JAIL ALL WEEKEND AT BEST. Then once you have appeared before the authorities and they reach a decision you pay your fine and PROVE that you have a ticket to leave the country. If you missed your flight that ticket is not valid. Ensure that you have a good friend that will help you out should this happen. Until you show this ticket they will not release you :D Viscious circle then starts, no ticket, no release no release, how do you get a ticket?? :D Hence the need for a good "friend" to get you ticket :D

My advice is do not do it if you do, then use the airport and hope for the best never attempt to pay the overstay fine on a visa run using land border crossings. This is very bad advice avoid land crossings if you have overstayed.

Finally the correct answer. Thank you for setting the record straight. KKmike

The whole visa run thing is bit of farce, whats the point of making some one step over border for a couple of days, and what about people with those WP's that still have to do visa runs every 3 months, ok its Los and it's their laws, but some of the laws are just plain stupid :o

I think that Thailand Law Enforcement Prides itself on presenting and image of being hard nosed and Strict. They feel like this kind of attitude will actually scare people into abiding by the Law. It is a Scare Tactic and it can work, but I personally do not believe in a System that is Based on Hatred and Contempt of the People. The Buddhist way is to Understand Human Behavior not Condemn it, to remain Humble, Compassionate and Understanding. THIS is the Image that the Thai Government Officials and Law Enforcement should be presenting to the World. Not an Image of Hard Nosed Hatred and Contempt of the People.

The biggest problem now a days, is there is a World wide Movement in the Republican Parties around the world to incorporate almost a Gestapo style attitude towards the people to make them Conform.

You might begin to notice this in many aspects of Government espcially where the Republicans are making the Rules and Calling all the shots.

At the same time there is also an awaking by the Democratic and Liberitarian Parties that if they do not take some kind of action, the Republicans will completely destroy any Freedoms we have. This is going to lead to more and more Protests and Marches and could even lead to some radical behavior.

What the Law Enforcement and Government Officials fail to realize in many cases, is that THEY WORK FOR THE PEOPLE. So the more Hard Nosed they act, the more they Fuel a Revolution in Politics. In otherwords, through their own Actions they are only shooting themselves in the Foot.

This Hard Nosed Style is kind of a Tradition all across Asia, it has been for many years. But Those who Study Religion, Philosophy, and Politics, are begining to realize that this Hard Nosed Scare Tactic style, really doesn't work. It just makes people rebel against the Government, as it has so many times before in every corner of the world.

:o

I think that Thailand Law Enforcement Prides itself on presenting and image of being hard nosed and Strict. They feel like this kind of attitude will actually scare people into abiding by the Law. It is a Scare Tactic and it can work, but I personally do not believe in a System that is Based on Hatred and Contempt of the People. The Buddhist way is to Understand Human Behavior not Condemn it, to remain Humble, Compassionate and Understanding. THIS is the Image that the Thai Government Officials and Law Enforcement should be presenting to the World. Not an Image of Hard Nosed Hatred and Contempt of the People.

The biggest problem now a days, is there is a World wide Movement in the Republican Parties around the world to incorporate almost a Gestapo style attitude towards the people to make them Conform.

You might begin to notice this in many aspects of Government espcially where the Republicans are making the Rules and Calling all the shots.

At the same time there is also an awaking by the Democratic and Liberitarian Parties that if they do not take some kind of action, the Republicans will completely destroy any Freedoms we have. This is going to lead to more and more Protests and Marches and could even lead to some radical behavior.

What the Law Enforcement and Government Officials fail to realize in many cases, is that THEY WORK FOR THE PEOPLE. So the more Hard Nosed they act, the more they Fuel a Revolution in Politics. In otherwords, through their own Actions they are only shooting themselves in the Foot.

This Hard Nosed Style is kind of a Tradition all across Asia, it has been for many years. But Those who Study Religion, Philosophy, and Politics, are begining to realize that this Hard Nosed Scare Tactic style, really doesn't work. It just makes people rebel against the Government, as it has so many times before in every corner of the world.

:o Bit of a broken record aren't we???

more than 1 day is 200b

That's already implemented at Bangkok International Airport. Good on them, but it does add to the confusion: Why may some overstay for one day free of charge, while others get jailed and deported for it? :D

....or just stamp in visas on arrival for 31 days instead of 30 and that would solve the problem...right :o

The whole visa run thing is bit of farce, whats the point of making some one step over border for a couple of days, and what about people with those WP's that still have to do visa runs every 3 months, ok its Los and it's their laws, but some of the laws are just plain stupid :o

I'd rather say the visa laws are pretty cleverly constructed - businesswise. They give Thailand the opportunity to maximize its income. How many thousen guys around pay the higher fees and the extra costs associated with obtaining the 1-year extensions in order to avoid those visaruns?

Seems to be there's a lot of hot air, from numerous sources, about this topic. If people insist on knowingly booking a flight more than 30 days after their arrival then it's stupidity. If they intend to stay more than 30 days it does not cost a fortune to get a 90 day visa before leaving (the UK), can't comment about the RoW. Without a return ticket you're not going to be very welcome at immigration so there seems to be no excuse.

However, if due to unforseen circumstances, accident or illness, etc. overstaying becomes inevitable and it is not possible to travel then some form of leeway would be sensible, providing there was supporting evidence like a hospital receipt. For those deliberately overstaying then maybe 500 baht fine for the first day increasing by 500 baht/day until they leave, but that information should be made clear on ARRIVAL. For farangs 500 baht is peanuts. For a weeks overstay that is £200. How much was the airport tax in their home country about £100?

On a number of occasions comment has been made at Don Muang, that I had only a few minutes remaining to go airside before becoming persona non grata, but always in a light hearted way. Remember we all have a job to do, whatever it may be.

Forward thinking and not tryiing it on is always the best policy and provides peace of mind too.

It's a no brainer really. Don't overstay. Take the bus the day before not after. :D

Or, as far as I know, goto immigration and pay the required overstay at local immigration inclusif covering the day you are leaving. Overstaying 10-12 days is kind of stupid as if you do get a trafic accident (a quite likely occurance here) you are stuck.

Secondly traveling like that means you normally have limited resources or at least as happened to Cambodia goers who were intercepted 10-20 kn before the border by police / immigration, not enough money in pocket, no entry, unless 10000 baht got forked out.

When traveling you are vulnerable so the less they can legally grab you on, the better...

I wouldnt be surprised about the amount to ranong mentioned. Who wants to be booted out and miss the rip back and you have already paid for it... In the past Penang trips had delays due to LONG police stops: reason, no bribes paid by travel office for no yellow number plates...

Traveling while overstayingmeans you are here illegal and under normal circumstances it means that if you goto a place like an airport you likely get away with it, but if you allow them to grab you on a deserted land road....

Bad advice given in my opinion here. Firstly do not overstay. If you do then exit via the airport. If you are not stopped and make it to immigration then its a simple process; pay 200 Baht a day for every day that you have overstayed with a max fine of 20000 Baht.

HOWEVER should you be stopped going to the airport or before then thats when the problems start :o Firstly if it is on a Friday YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF IN JAIL ALL WEEKEND AT BEST. Then once you have appeared before the authorities and they reach a decision you pay your fine and PROVE that you have a ticket to leave the country. If you missed your flight that ticket is not valid. Ensure that you have a good friend that will help you out should this happen. Until you show this ticket they will not release you :D Viscious circle then starts, no ticket, no release no release, how do you get a ticket?? :D Hence the need for a good "friend" to get you ticket :D

My advice is do not do it if you do, then use the airport and hope for the best never attempt to pay the overstay fine on a visa run using land border crossings. This is very bad advice avoid land crossings if you have overstayed.

Finally the correct answer. Thank you for setting the record straight. KKmike

Just saw this reaction and yes, correct (just posted partle a similar one) but one exception, you can buy a ticked and if they donot let you loose they have another handle on you, not let loose and ticked expires and you loose even more...

People seem to be forgetting that tourism in Thailand represents about 9 to 13% of it's GDP. Farangs who go to Thailand to live supply almost nothing by comparison. Thus if visa endorsement was made easier, more tourists would be inclined to stay longer (perhaps) & spend more money OR come back again & again & again. How about changing to what most other sensible countries have? A 3 month tourist visa.

Also, the current visa laws are murky & even contradictory. The penalty for overstaying, as per the ministry of immigration, is 200B per day Yet this penalty is totally different according to the cops. There cannot be 2 different penalties for the one crime. This is confusing, discourages tourism & is generally unfair.

The law sux...everywhere.

I donot think its the law, its a regulation and they can be locally different from other places. Donot think because you know one border, others are the same.

Seems they should with that bus in this case pay the same 10 baht 'overtime' per person you do to Penang. NOTE: NOT a bribe, its legally on green notice boards and it mentions 20 baht and in theory wearing slippers could be a reason NOT to let you back in...

However border crossings were easy except the one time where the damned tourists felt ripped off and we had to walk from Malay border to Thai border and I noticed too late that the fiddling with the passports driver does, had not resulted in a Thai entry stamp. My first thing in Phuket was talk immigration Patong and same night I was on the way back to the border... With the amusing thought that those stingy ones likely found out something was missing when leaving Thailand...

I'd rather say the visa laws are pretty cleverly constructed - businesswise. They give Thailand the opportunity to maximize its income. How many thousen guys around pay the higher fees and the extra costs associated with obtaining the 1-year extensions in order to avoid those visaruns?

OK, I live in Phuket and work. I have a workpermit and my company is a partnership.

If I get a visum I either go Penang with a few kilo paperwork, pay likely 8000 baht for visa 2000 baht for bus travel and as I like Penang 4000-5000 baht for shopping etc if not more. Add 3 border trips to Ranong (I use andaman tour where you go casino ) because as far as I know Taxin is the owner and they want SMOOTH travel... add 5000 baht. I Never had any problems.

Add things up costs are: 20000 baht.

Other border crossings arent much different. Now year visum:

I pay about 12000 to make things go smoother/faster and let my accountant sort it out,

add some photo and photo copy paper and I save money/time. As I work, I have to pay workpermit anyway and tax as well.I would feel happier if all competitors were forced to go legal as well but then my income doesnt depend on this thing and I have a nice insurance as well.

Not sure whats worse as after several accidents on my bike, I prefer a more relaxed way to get my visum!!

Whatever, If I consider I lose maybe 10 days per year traveling if I Do travel, by not traveling under normal circumstances I could have all of that back in my pocket from work, so why travel...

Seems to be there's a lot of hot air, from numerous sources, about this topic. If people insist on knowingly booking a flight more than 30 days after their arrival then it's stupidity. If they intend to stay more than 30 days it does not cost a fortune to get a 90 day visa before leaving (the UK), can't comment about the RoW. Without a return ticket you're not going to be very welcome at immigration so there seems to be no excuse.

EOQ

Many farangs once here change plans. I am not talking about normal 2 week tourists but those maybe staying about 2 months and finding that they need an extra 2-5 days.

Its not a matter they can 'afford' as farang the money, they feel ripped off and cheated when they see what they get charged for a few days extra. If Thailand wants repeat visitors, this is the way to make them go elsewhere... Some did and spend the last week somewhere else...

Next quote...

However, if due to unforseen circumstances, accident or illness, etc. overstaying becomes inevitable and it is not possible to travel then some form of leeway would be sensible, providing there was supporting evidence like a hospital receipt.

EOQ

I had this once, check with local immigration as it likely (!!!) needs a signed letter from a government hospital (ie not the international ones where fleece the farangs) and you will also likely have to do it in BKK in headoffice. Be aware that they know ALL the details, ie where visum bought, how much, how long and they are quite accustomed to having stupid visitors trying to lie their way out. DONOT try it...

Start Quote

For those deliberately overstaying then maybe 500 baht fine for the first day increasing by 500 baht/day until they leave, but that information should be made clear on ARRIVAL. For farangs 500 baht is peanuts. For a weeks overstay that is £200. How much was the airport tax in their home country about £100?

EOQ

I get pissed off by people saying whats cheap for farangs. You want tourists or rippoffed customers.

Whats in their pockets is not the business of any Thai...

Anyway, I havent had to leave the country now in many years and I hope it stays that way!

People seem to be forgetting that tourism in Thailand represents about 9 to 13% of it's GDP. Farangs who go to Thailand to live supply almost nothing by comparison. Thus if visa endorsement was made easier, more tourists would be inclined to stay longer (perhaps) & spend more money OR come back again & again & again. How about changing to what most other sensible countries have? A 3 month tourist visa.

EOQ

No idea if immigration can stick part of overstays in their pocket like from what I heard police can do with trafic violations.

In which case they are better off with a fine then you having a cheap extension.

That would only mean they increase prices again. Never give a politician a chance to do that, it only goes up. And money going to government doesnt get spend with normal Thais...

Quote:

Also, the current visa laws are murky & even contradictory. The penalty for overstaying, as per the ministry of immigration, is 200B per day Yet this penalty is totally different according to the cops. There cannot be 2 different penalties for the one crime. This is confusing, discourages tourism & is generally unfair.

EOQ

as mentioned you confuse whats LAW and whats REGULATION. Heaps of the latter ones around which are quite illegal....

The law sux...everywhere. SAme in Europe / USA..

Police arrest 12 on Ranong ‘visa run’

He denied K. Jutarat’s claims that the officers asked for 5,000 baht from each tourist in exchange for letting them go.

“I think that’s impossible. I can guarantee that the Tourist Police officers did not ask for money because we are not in trouble [financially] and I constantly remind them to not do that.

ROTFL :o - thanks, that made my day!

If it was impossible, why would he constantly have to remind them? And if they were in trouble financially, then, well, of course they would have to be excused for making a quick buck off of some hapless tourists. Only in Thailand... or maybe he just wanted to say to everyone that can read between the lines: OF frigging' COURSE my guys ripped off these farangs! What were you thinking?

I want to add a positive to that story too: I had overstayed 1 day recently because I kind of remembered the date wrong and when I left via Chiang Mai airport the immigration officer just smiled and said don't worry and stamped my passport with the "fee paid" stamp. He just let me go! Something like that would never, ever happen in my country.