Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bar fine, for example, can be 700 baht. The bosses of restaurants, bars, etc are milking us. Food in good restaurants is equal to Europe.

Bar fines? Never paid one. Never will. Can't see the point at all I'm afraid.

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London etc. The trick is just not to go to the rip-off places and to frequent the better value ones instead.

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London

ahem... unsure.png

• Like 1

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London

ahem... unsure.png

OR, ........... really. coffee1.gif

Bar fine, for example, can be 700 baht. The bosses of restaurants, bars, etc are milking us. Food in good restaurants is equal to Europe.

Bar fines? Never paid one. Never will. Can't see the point at all I'm afraid.

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London etc. The trick is just not to go to the rip-off places and to frequent the better value ones instead.

By all means feel free to share some of these eating places you mention. There are many that would benefit from this insight.

Talking of Paris I was there a couple of months back and dropped in to a little cafe in Montmatre on spec and had the most magnificent meal for about 30 euros ( 3 course).

The best food in Pattaya would not come close to this little cafe in Montmatre.............and believe me there are hundreds like in Paris.....

ahem... unsure.png

OR, ........... really. coffee1.gif

He must be talking about Mickey D's laugh.png

I'm guessing he was referring to thai food,

and i take thai style deep fried ribs in garlic

over american style ketchup-drenched ribs any day of the year.

Same goes for thai style omelet with chili vs the blend western junk, etc etc.

Edited by poanoi

Absolutely ! every time you go to the supermarket or gasoline station, 7/11 or elsewhere

where you buy something, honor dictate that you must grease at a bare minimum of 200 baht,

lest you want to be referred to as an infamous cheap charlie the rest of your life clap2.gif

Edited by poanoi

Nah you're not a cheap charlie.

Free yourself from this ridiculous neurosis and get on with you life.

You will feel fee and much better for it.....and don't worry about the anonymous relmarks on here most probably haven't got a pot to hiss in abyway and it feels good to put others down.

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London etc.

I can't imagine why this comment generated such a rash of "ahems" and coffee1.gif and who knows what else.

One obvious contender is the Hilton lunch buffet. It would not be out of place in either Paris or London, and in both places it would cost several times the 380B it costs here. Hard to see how anyone could disagree with this.

And that isn't the only place by any means.

Talking of Paris I was there a couple of months back and dropped in to a little cafe in Montmatre on spec and had the most magnificent meal for about 30 euros ( 3 course).

30EUR. That's 1200B. Hmm. Cafe in Montmartre or Sunday lunch at the Hilton, or indeed the Hilton Friday evening seafood with 400B change? I certainly know which two I would pick, but perhaps you are an incurable romantic who puts greater store by ambiance than I do.

I also know a couple of places here that do a very respectable French 4 course meal for about a third the price it would be in France.

And whilst some eating/drinking places here certainly do charge Western prices there are plenty of others that dont, including some extremely good places that would not be at all out of place in Paris or London etc.

I can't imagine why this comment generated such a rash of "ahems" and coffee1.gif and who knows what else.

One obvious contender is the Hilton lunch buffet. It would not be out of place in either Paris or London, and in both places it would cost several times the 380B it costs here. Hard to see how anyone could disagree with this.

I don't know where you are going in Paris and London, but the Hilton lunch buffet does not compare with a good place in either city. However, it is very good for Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't know where you are going in Paris and London, but the Hilton lunch buffet does not compare with a good place in either city.

I believe the evening one compares very well with the sort of meal you generally get in France for 30EUR, and is a lot cheaper as I pointed out. And I'm certain that the equivalent of the weekday lunch buffet (380B) would cost at least 1000B in Paris or London, probably even 1500B.

Tip 200 bt ....and your'e not a Cheap Charlie....

- Only tip 100 bt next time......and you'll suddenly find you've become one !

got it in one mate.Had a few brekkies in pattaya recently,after a good walk.Always been good and tipped about 40%.A few days ago i took 3 mates in,and they got everything wrong,even not giving us the full meal,missing a rasher of bacon,no tomatoes,cofee ordered,tea was given,and a few more problems.Any way we decided no tip,due to pathetic service,they shunned us,never said thank you for your custom and have a nice day.It was the nose up in the air job,I will never eat there again,due to this bad service,and very poor attitude.

Edited by Rimmer

Tip 200 bt ....and your'e not a Cheap Charlie....

- Only tip 100 bt next time......and you'll suddenly find you've become one !

got it in one mate.Had a few brekkies in pattaya recently,after a good walk.Always been good and tipped about 40%.A few days ago i took 3 mates in,and they got everything wrong,even not giving us the full meal,missing a rasher of bacon,no tomatoes,cofee ordered,tea was given,and a few more problems.Any way we decided no tip,due to pathetic service,they shunned us,never said thank you for your custom and have a nice day.It was the nose up in the air job,I will never eat there again,due to this bad service,and very poor attitude.

Seems like an over-reaction to me, especially if you think the food there is good. How did you deal with the service shortcomings at the time? And a 40% tip is taking it to the other extreme! No wonder they were confused!

I don't know where you are going in Paris and London, but the Hilton lunch buffet does not compare with a good place in either city. However, it is very good for Thailand.

Agreed. Hilton lunch buffet not in the same ball park sorry.

Edited by Tolley

Yes sorry but you are definitely a cheap charlie, and you probably already knew that before you asked smile.png

You can't define a "cheap charlie" by money spent. A "cheap charlie" would be someone with plenty of money but too tight to spend it. A person on a low budget could not be considered a "cheap charlie".

• Like 2

I define cheap charlie as someone looking for a free lunch:

ex: beggars, including tip beggars

going to a free food place and eat, but not buying beer/etc

going to a all-you can eat for X, and then pocket food before leaving

dining at a place with for example free banana/cookies at the table,

-and then pocket said items before leaving

Don't forget the ''Doggy bag''. laugh.png

So according to your definition, all poor people are cheap charlies.

That's a bit harsh.

Those people you see looking for a free lunch could actually be hungry, you know - and can't afford to pay.

• Like 1

so.. like going to a massage parlor that has cheap rates with the expectations that the customs will tip.. and then using the service and not tipping?

What needs to be made very very very clear here is the fact that if these massage parlors did not receive ANY tips (or if they had rule refusing tips) then they would not survive on the rates they are charging. The rates would have to be raised substantially to cover costs and insure the employees were being paid enough to keep them around. That is a fact.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

The prices for massage in Pattaya have not gone up for years.

And in fact many places are offering cheaper prices than years ago.

If customers didnt tip and tip well then these places would become unsustainable.

Tipping is factored in as part of the business model.

Car service centres, and many other businesses are different business models and are not reliant on tips to survive. If the majority of people did not tip or tipped very frugally these massage places would be forced to raise their rates.

Cheap charlies are bludging of the rest of us who give tips no matter what pathetic rationale they decide to come up with for withholding tips eg talking out of turn blink.png

Well said, most people have no knowledge about how those massage ladiies are exploited by the massage owners, which are always in a win - win situation where the ladies have to struggle to survive.

Some have even been known to straddle to survive. thumbsup.gif

so.. like going to a massage parlor that has cheap rates with the expectations that the customs will tip.. and then using the service and not tipping?

What needs to be made very very very clear here is the fact that if these massage parlors did not receive ANY tips (or if they had rule refusing tips) then they would not survive on the rates they are charging. The rates would have to be raised substantially to cover costs and insure the employees were being paid enough to keep them around. That is a fact.

@Jayman: No business, (except possibly some misfit biz in USA)

is built on the assumption of free meals.

That, is a fact

I'm confused.. so now you are saying the massage parlors are cheap charlies for wanting a tip?