Yamaha Rd 350 4 Stroke To Be Launched In 2013

Phil_Pattaya

Anyone have anymore info on this one? The Yamaha RD 350 was always known for the shear power its 2 stroke engine was able to harness. But Yamaha seems to have disappointed the RD lovers by replacing the 2 stroke engine with a 4 stroke liquid cooled engine. It is expected to deliver maximum power of something around the 40 BHp mark.

There has not been any official announcements thatI can find regarding the RD 350's price, but it is expected to be priced competitivlypost-24920-0-78346000-1352903052_thumb.jpost-24920-0-25342100-1352903075_thumb.j to the Honda CBR and the Kawazaki Ninja.

That takes me back a bit - a couple of my mates used to hobby race them - the legendary YPVS - they used to fly, man when the powerband kicked in..

Not really concise information, but was watching a motorbike program on Speed Channel on True, the day before the cbr 500 was unveiled, and the Thai commentator mentioned, and showed photos of a Yamaha 150, and talked about a small displacement fzr - not the RD, but did say that Yamaha and also Suzuki will, and are preparing to enter models into the scene next Year, to compete with Kawasaki and Honda's latest 'bigger' offerings in the 500 - 650 genre. He did seem to suggest it wouldn't be early on though. Nice looking bike.

Looks like next Year will be the time to consider buying something nice, as the market only just seems to be starting to open up this Year, and the range is still a little limited. I could see myself falling for one of those, if the ninja 350, or the z800 doesn't make an appearance as rumoured.

Couple more articles here

http://mark-motor.blogspot.com/2012/08/yamaha-rd-350-in-2013.html

http://anythingeverything4.com/yamaha-rd-350-4-stroke-to-be-launched-in-2013/

Single cylinder 350cc four stroke with 32bhp...shame, loved my old RD350’s (one RD350B and two RD350LC’s)...they’re just playing on the name to get people’s attention, it bears no relation to the old RD’s sad.png

yamaha-rd-350-orange.jpg

• Like 1

Has to cost considerably more than the Ninjette or CBR250 because it enters, in Thailand, the super-taxed range. Figure half way from the Ninjette to a 650, if the bike's built and released here. Meant for European sales, mostly, and talk about being priced near the 250's is unlikely to apply here.

Well I'm confused because the pictures shown are a 2-stroke and many blogs claim the new RD350 will be a twin cylinder two-stroke. Another claims this is a these images are "created renderings"

I think more wish full thinking than fact.

Well I'm confused because the pictures shown are a 2-stroke and many blogs claim the new RD350 will be a twin cylinder two-stroke. Another claims this is a these images are "created renderings"

I think more wish full thinking than fact.

Good eye

Agree it is a rendering & wishful wink.png

Edited by mania

Well my "eye" was caught by the exhaust. I thought "Oh how clever they have made the 4-stroke exhaust look like a two-stroke". This would have been a neat trick based on the popularity or heritage of the RD. Then I looked closer....

Only need 1 spark plug for a single pot engine. The exhaust on the drawing appears to have a cover below it giving it a look of a 2 stroke exhaust. There are numerous websites suggesting this will be produced next year : http://caberz.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/yamaha-rd-350/, so hopefully the sceptics amongst you will be proven wrong as Its good to see the Thai bike market improving. Whether it does arrive here or not at least new models are arriving with realistic prices rather than paying over the odds for grey imports.smile.png

Only need 1 spark plug for a single pot engine. The exhaust on the drawing appears to have a cover below it giving it a look of a 2 stroke exhaust.

...and look again, the exhaust exits the cylinder below the cylinder head also giving it the look of a 2-stroke. coffee1.gif

They were created by an independent design company as their idea of what a modern day Yamaha RD350 would look like.

Doesn't say much for them.... if you take away the plastics it is pretty much exact copy of an ER 6....... can't see that company going far whistling.gif