Lovesick Russian Drinks Himself To Death In Phuket

webfact

Why is it so shocking to come to the realization that many women in a poor country that offers little opportunity for them to be financially independent would want to be with a financially successful man who provides for them? Is this unheard of in any country? Would all the overweight and over age farangs prefer if their main concern was body and looks? Oh wait, do you want them all to be like most of us men are and not care about looks, body type, age or anything else except if they have a good heart (minus the part of looking down on, distrusting and wanting to control the opposite sex) and of course not ever cheat with another women who poses qualities we desire?

A guy chooses to off himself and like most any topic that a Thai women is mentioned in the story, there seems to be those who have to find a way to generalize about Thai women negatively even though a good portion of these men are here because it is one of the few places to go where they can still hook up with young hot women and yet they still find a way to moan and groan and see the negative. Maybe it is just me but it seems the men complaining in this scenario that are the ones that need to address their own issues more so than pointing out the faults of women.

I'd love to see the statistics of foreigners jumping to their deaths in Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket, compared to other places in the world. Maybe it's just me, but it seems fairly common in those 3 places.

So, now we move onto painting Thailand in a bad light because a guy decided to commit suicide and then go onto to talk about suicide number of jumpers in cities even though this guy didn't jump.

Well, the stats you want are out there if you want to find them but can assure you neither Thailand nor these cities have the highest suicide rates and in fact western countries such as the US, Australia and many European nations have much higher rates of suicide ... including Russia (isn't this guy Russian?) which rates as having one of the highest suicide rates in the world. How about take a city like Las Vegas were for every 100,000 people, 35 off themselves yearly.

Please get a grip and realize your news source while in Thailand that is geared to reporting anything of interest to fellow farangs. Have you seen many new stories re-posted here about Thai suicides even though any reasonable person would know their numbers far out weigh those of farangs. Yet, we will continue to see the never ending posts here whenever a farang dies that it must be a cover-up and whenever a farang commits a crime here it is a set-up ... we know this because farangs don't do these things back in their home country and Thailand is a country known for mostly only attracting the highest quality of tourists.

I have a grip thank you. I wonder how many Thais commit suicide in the U.S. Australia, Europe? Your missing my point totally. I live in Dallas. I lived in Thailand for a few years. While I lived in Thailand it seemed that western tourists were jumping to their deaths at a pretty high rate. Here if someone takes a leap, you hear about it as well. It's not even close to as common here as it is in Pattaya or Phuket, not to mention I never hear about Thais jumping in Thailand.

How many of the 35 in Vegas, or countless in Russia are leaping off of hotel balconies, or getting found hanging from a light pole with a bag taped over your head and the cops just say, "Ahh that's how foregners kill themselves"

I'm not painting Thailand in a bad light. The story is there for all to read, and everyone can draw their own conclusions. If people judge Thailand in a bad light due to some news stories, so be it.

I know the guy in my post didn't jump. Re-read my post. I can read. Can you?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP man! Condolences to friends and family. Looks like he got a quantity discount on some Thai booze and just wanted to Ty Won On with a little extra for later. I hope they give you a proper autopsy to find out for sure.

And of course for anyone who's had a Go at that Whiskey ..Its extremely potent / Dangerous Suff . I strongly suggest just sticking with the Weaker likes of Seagrams 100 Pipers .

Huh? you do realise that spirit alcohol all comes out of a still, identically all over the world?

Maybe thats where the alcohol comes from ..But the % age , and other potential nasties are the problem !

Normal Thai women under thirty do not get into bed with foreigners easily. If you love one such you will have to take your time to find out if she really is the girl for you. If you have fallen in love with the stranger that you slept with last spend you money have your fun and then go get another one. Never take such ladies to you own room period.

Normal Thai women? who made you the arbiter of "normal thai woman hood"?

And what does any of this nonsense have to do with our fallen comrade?

A normal Thai woman is one that does not work in a bar and has 1/2 dozen men per day. A normal Thai woman would not drop at the feet of les Patterson the moment he walked in the door and tell him how handsum he is and much they love and adore him at 1st sight. She is a woman who has a job and someone you could take home to mum.

les_narrowweb__300x449,2.jpg

And of course for anyone who's had a Go at that Whiskey ..Its extremely potent / Dangerous Suff . I strongly suggest just sticking with the Weaker likes of Seagrams 100 Pipers .

Huh? you do realise that spirit alcohol all comes out of a still, identically all over the world?

Maybe thats where the alcohol comes from ..But the % age , and other potential nasties are the problem !

Not sure if you are talking about some moonshine type brewed Thai whiskey but almost all the Thai whiskey I see being sold is less than 80 proof (40%). I've personally never seen anything stronger and just assumed it was maybe the law here. Although I am not a big whiskey drinker, I always thought whiskey usually was stronger than 80 proof while typical well vodka, gin and such was 80 proof. When we were young and wanted to get messed up we'd buy Yukon Jack or Jack Daniels which I both believe were typically about 100 proof.

When out with the extended family here and get caught up drinking Thai Whiskey, I have always been surprised at how unstrong it is but it usually leaves me with a nasty headache and feeling like crap for at least a day after drinking it. The actual drunk isn't bad but a few times I've felt like I was on speed in terms of being drunk and wanting to pass out but feeling like I took some sort of speed.

Edited by Nisa

Why is it so shocking to come to the realization that many women in a poor country that offers little opportunity for them to be financially independent would want to be with a financially successful man who provides for them? Is this unheard of in any country? Would all the overweight and over age farangs prefer if their main concern was body and looks? Oh wait, do you want them all to be like most of us men are and not care about looks, body type, age or anything else except if they have a good heart (minus the part of looking down on, distrusting and wanting to control the opposite sex) and of course not ever cheat with another women who poses qualities we desire?

A guy chooses to off himself and like most any topic that a Thai women is mentioned in the story, there seems to be those who have to find a way to generalize about Thai women negatively even though a good portion of these men are here because it is one of the few places to go where they can still hook up with young hot women and yet they still find a way to moan and groan and see the negative. Maybe it is just me but it seems the men complaining in this scenario that are the ones that need to address their own issues more so than pointing out the faults of women.

I'd love to see the statistics of foreigners jumping to their deaths in Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket, compared to other places in the world. Maybe it's just me, but it seems fairly common in those 3 places.

So, now we move onto painting Thailand in a bad light because a guy decided to commit suicide and then go onto to talk about suicide number of jumpers in cities even though this guy didn't jump.

Well, the stats you want are out there if you want to find them but can assure you neither Thailand nor these cities have the highest suicide rates and in fact western countries such as the US, Australia and many European nations have much higher rates of suicide ... including Russia (isn't this guy Russian?) which rates as having one of the highest suicide rates in the world. How about take a city like Las Vegas were for every 100,000 people, 35 off themselves yearly.

Please get a grip and realize your news source while in Thailand that is geared to reporting anything of interest to fellow farangs. Have you seen many new stories re-posted here about Thai suicides even though any reasonable person would know their numbers far out weigh those of farangs. Yet, we will continue to see the never ending posts here whenever a farang dies that it must be a cover-up and whenever a farang commits a crime here it is a set-up ... we know this because farangs don't do these things back in their home country and Thailand is a country known for mostly only attracting the highest quality of tourists.

I have a grip thank you. I wonder how many Thais commit suicide in the U.S. Australia, Europe? Your missing my point totally. I live in Dallas. I lived in Thailand for a few years. While I lived in Thailand it seemed that western tourists were jumping to their deaths at a pretty high rate. Here if someone takes a leap, you hear about it as well. It's not even close to as common here as it is in Pattaya or Phuket, not to mention I never hear about Thais jumping in Thailand.

How many of the 35 in Vegas, or countless in Russia are leaping off of hotel balconies, or getting found hanging from a light pole with a bag taped over your head and the cops just say, "Ahh that's how foregners kill themselves"

I'm not painting Thailand in a bad light. The story is there for all to read, and everyone can draw their own conclusions. If people judge Thailand in a bad light due to some news stories, so be it.

I know the guy in my post didn't jump. Re-read my post. I can read. Can you?

By the way, you replied before I edited my post. After I posted it and read my own words, I realized they were very snide "towards you" and that was not at all my intention but was just reacting to what I saw was the shifting Thai criticism in a topic about a guy killing himself. So, I apologize I didn't edit the post sooner or choose my words differently originally but again, my intent was not to be disrespectful to you and I just sometimes focus on the words I read and forget I am responding to another human and not just interacting with words on my computer screen.

Not sure if you are talking about some moonshine type brewed Thai whiskey but almost all the Thai whiskey I see being sold is less than 80 proof (40%). I've personally never seen anything stronger and just assumed it was maybe the law here. Although I am not a big whiskey drinker, I always thought whiskey usually was stronger than 80 proof while typical well vodka, gin and such was 80 proof. When we were young and wanted to get messed up we'd buy Yukon Jack or Jack Daniels which I both believe were typically about 100 proof.

When out with the extended family here and get caught up drinking Thai Whiskey, I have always been surprised at how unstrong it is but it usually leaves me with a nasty headache and feeling like crap for at least a day after drinking it. The actual drunk isn't bad but a few times I've felt like I was on speed in terms of being drunk and wanting to pass out but feeling like I took some sort of speed.

Im talking about Both to be honest ..Now , correct me if Im wrong ( and someone here will certainly know ) The most popular brand Hong Thong , I always thought was stronger than 40% proof ..But maybe Im incorrect .

Moonshine ..yes you are spot on , I tried many years ago ( Would not touch now ) ..Black Cat , with none of the government Seals ..Now that stuff makes you dont only Drunk , but Sick .

In the photo of the guys room Hong Thong bottles everywhere ..But , let me cheerfully admit ..I dont drink Whiskey at all anymore , and certainly not a Thai Whiskey , although Im certain its an aquired taste . I did have it in my mind that this is stronger than the likes of 100 Pipers ( from 7 /11 ) although , Im far from certain because I dont drink either ! ( Anymore ) :)

I doubt he could have drunk all those bottles, he would be so whacked after the first he would barely be able to reach out for another. Similarly hardly likely his body would not retch it all back up. But there he was poor bugger, roses in hand on the bed, peacefully passed away. Hmmm...

• Like 1

I doubt he could have drunk all those bottles, he would be so whacked after the first he would barely be able to reach out for another. Similarly hardly likely his body would not retch it all back up. But there he was poor bugger, roses in hand on the bed, peacefully passed away. Hmmm...

Agree , he could certainly do say 2 bottles , if a fit 27 year old ..Be hard to do more than 2 .

The scenario is possible , but yes ..really needed is the Toxicology Report , this will answer all . Hopefully its done properly .

RIP ..Very Sad , especially at such a young age .

By the way, you replied before I edited my post. After I posted it and read my own words, I realized they were very snide "towards you" and that was not at all my intention but was just reacting to what I saw was the shifting Thai criticism in a topic about a guy killing himself. So, I apologize I didn't edit the post sooner or choose my words differently originally but again, my intent was not to be disrespectful to you and I just sometimes focus on the words I read and forget I am responding to another human and not just interacting with words on my computer screen.

No problem at all. I do the same thing all the time on these message boards.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Hong Thong is made from molasses and rice & is 35% proof by volume. Off the shelf whisky in the West such as Johnny Walker Black label is around 40% proof.

Edited by simple1

A normal Thai woman is one that does not work in a bar and has 1/2 dozen men per day. A normal Thai woman would not drop at the feet of les Patterson the moment he walked in the door and tell him how handsum he is and much they love and adore him at 1st sight. She is a woman who has a job and someone you could take home to mum.

A "normal" Thai woman is one that costs you money every night. a truly good Thai woman is the exception, rather than the rule.

In this case, which is typical of Thai women, she had another boyfriend, he found out about it and was broken hearted. I guess she found a man with a higher ATM withdraw limit.

I am 46, and I have yet to see a woman who is worth killing myself over.

i think that the insistence that this sad fool died of anything other than his own stupidity is simply a group of similar fools denying their own personal responsibility by projection.

As for the woman offing him, where is the upside for her her? being unmarried as the article infers, how would she benefit especially since the overwhelming consensus here is that all thais are motivated solely by greed?

While most of these girls chose their profession by way of their own circumstances and choices ... we should realize it is their experience and exposure to men that has resulted in their views of men and their screw before being screwed attitude. And I would think after time that people giving you money to be with you would cause some issues in terms of relating somebody with wanting or caring about you to what they are willing to pay you. Certainly not a slam at all men but just consider the men they are exposed to daily and you might understand how they might start to believe men cannot be trusted and are mostly selfish, cheating liars. Really not much different than guys who post here who believe Thai women are somehow genetically programmed different than other women and not able to love and only care about money ... they too have just been exposed to a segment of women that are causing them to believe things are true about the rest of women. Bottom line is if you spend your time with hookers anywhere, you are going to develop a different set of views about women.

What I see are thai women who do not want further relationships with thai men because of their previous experiences. In many instances, their own mothers advises them to search for a relationship with a farang. Farangs are seen as more suited for the daughters. Taking care and generate money for the family is what it is all about. Thai men are not good at all in the caring business,

The ladies now call it their ''salary'', a euphemism of course to avoid a stigma related to money for sex.

Very difficult to develop a relationship with a thai lady, when the mother in a province is waiting for some money to take care of the family.

Normal Thai women under thirty do not get into bed with foreigners easily. If you love one such you will have to take your time to find out if she really is the girl for you. If you have fallen in love with the stranger that you slept with last spend you money have your fun and then go get another one. Never take such ladies to you own room period.

Normal Thai women? who made you the arbiter of "normal thai woman hood"?

And what does any of this nonsense have to do with our fallen comrade?

les_narrowweb__300x449,2.jpg

Very true.

Most Thai females prefer Thai males, even the women of ill repute. You will find most Thai prostitutes strictly reserve themselves for Thai men and the majority of highso middle to upper class Thai ladies wouldn’t be seen dead with a farang.

Many Thai women consider being seen with a farang male as an embarrassment and of appearing low status if they date farangs and that applies even to the sideliner girls, this is why most of the freelancer Thai girls only advertise on Thai language websites and forums.

Do an online research and you will see for yourselves that the Thai ladies who date, go short time or marry farangs are only a tiny minority of the Thai female population.

Anyone watch the TV show "Thailand got Talent" or the similar contestant shows based on foreign talent shows? The search for a farang husband has become institutionalized. One of the contestants on this show is a luk krueng (as many, many are), who lived abroad most of his life. He obviously spoke Thai with his mother, but his Thai is not fluent. They asked one of the swooning girls in the audience what she loved about this contestant's talent. Her gushing reply "I want luk krueng children!") laugh.png

No point to this except to say that there are many, not always rational reasons Thai women go for foreign men, and not only just bar girls or sex workers. Many of us do have great and decent Thai partners, but we don't start looking for them in soi Bangla, Pattaya soi 6 or Nana Plaza generally.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

No problem at all. I do the same thing all the time on these message boards.

biggrin.png

I see that gentlemen are posting here...

Some people get some energy by posting useful information, some people get energy by posting funny.entertaining remarks.

Some people get some energy by trying to steal energy from others by posting....well, people certainly know how they do it.

I know what type of postings I prefer.

Thanks again to the gentlemen.

• Like 2

Do an online research and you will see for yourselves that the Thai ladies who date, go short time or marry farangs are only a tiny minority of the Thai female population.

Of course they are, and anyone with any understanding of mathematics knows this must be true without doing online research or subscribing to any of your bogus theories.

Im talking about Both to be honest ..Now , correct me if Im wrong ( and someone here will certainly know ) The most popular brand Hong Thong , I always thought was stronger than 40% proof ..But maybe Im incorrect .

Moonshine ..yes you are spot on , I tried many years ago ( Would not touch now ) ..Black Cat , with none of the government Seals ..Now that stuff makes you dont only Drunk , but Sick .

In the photo of the guys room Hong Thong bottles everywhere ..But , let me cheerfully admit ..I dont drink Whiskey at all anymore , and certainly not a Thai Whiskey , although Im certain its an aquired taste . I did have it in my mind that this is stronger than the likes of 100 Pipers ( from 7 /11 ) although , Im far from certain because I dont drink either ! ( Anymore ) smile.png

I didn't even catch the picture of bottles in the room. A quick search on the internet says Piper 100 is either 80 or 86 proof. Not sure if the different numbers are from options or from where it is sold or just bad info on the net. .Maybe somebody more experienced with whiskey can tell us why Thai whiskey has such a bad (or would it be good) rap because it seems to be about the same proof as other whiskeys sold here. Maybe it has more to do with other stuff added or the way they age it. I am usually a vodka tonic drinker and I know that cheaper vodka has given me a much different drunk than if I opt for the better vodka even if it is a stronger proof.

I also have a feeling that there are laws in terms of alcohol content. I could be remembering wrong but I could swear years ago drinking in the US that 120 proof stuff was fairly common but now it seems like it is around anymore or maybe just tax the crap out of the higher content ones. .

I didn't even catch the picture of bottles in the room. A quick search on the internet says Piper 100 is either 80 or 86 proof. Not sure if the different numbers are from options or from where it is sold or just bad info on the net. .Maybe somebody more experienced with whiskey can tell us why Thai whiskey has such a bad (or would it be good) rap because it seems to be about the same proof as other whiskeys sold here. Maybe it has more to do with other stuff added or the way they age it. I am usually a vodka tonic drinker and I know that cheaper vodka has given me a much different drunk than if I opt for the better vodka even if it is a stronger proof.

I also have a feeling that there are laws in terms of alcohol content. I could be remembering wrong but I could swear years ago drinking in the US that 120 proof stuff was fairly common but now it seems like it is around anymore or maybe just tax the crap out of the higher content ones. .

It was right there on the first page:

Love lost Russian drinks himself to death in Phuket seaside guesthouse

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-19454ZbKPVqYMYFXCCeeJRCeRmaXLiD.jpg

A SAD ENDING: Whisky and roses found at the scene by Phuket police. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A broken-hearted Russian man who drank himself to death was found in his rented accommodation in Patong yesterday.

Patong Police inspector Maj Patapee Srichai was informed of the incident shortly after 2pm by Areeya Koksadon, 40, the manager of the Amara Guesthouse.

At the scene police found the body of Petr Zavyalov, a 27-year-old Russian national, lying on the bed still clutching a bunch of red roses in one hand and a bottle of Thai whisky in the other.

“There was no signs of struggle in the room,” said Maj Patapee.

“However, our investigation has revealed that he had argued with his Thai girlfriend. It would appear that Mr Zavyalov was unable to support her lifestyle and so she left him for another foreigner.

“He bought a dozen bottles of Thai whisky. He was later found dead in his room,” Maj Patapee explained.

Mr Zavyalov’s body was sent to Patong Hospital for medical examination and to await final instructions from his relatives.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19454.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-15

One should read the topic fully before making presumptions.

Phuket Gazette

A SAD ENDING: Whisky and roses found at the scene by Phuket police. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A broken-hearted Russian man who drank himself to death was found in his rented accommodation in Patong yesterday.

Patong Police inspector Maj Patapee Srichai was informed of the incident shortly after 2pm by Areeya Koksadon, 40, the manager of the Amara Guesthouse.

At the scene police found the body of Petr Zavyalov, a 27-year-old Russian national, lying on the bed still clutching a bunch of red roses in one hand and a bottle of Thai whisky in the other.

"There was no signs of struggle in the room," said Maj Patapee.

"However, our investigation has revealed that he had argued with his Thai girlfriend. It would appear that Mr Zavyalov was unable to support her lifestyle and so she left him for another foreigner.

"He bought a dozen bottles of Thai whisky. He was later found dead in his room," Maj Patapee explained.

Mr Zavyalov's body was sent to Patong Hospital for medical examination and to await final instructions from his relatives.

pglogo.jpg

yes

Furthermore, it doesn't say anything about him drinking the whiskey - it says he bought it and was found with A bottle in his hand. How did the BIB find the whiskey if he'd already drunk it?

Edited by metisdead
: When replying to a quoted post do not make your reply within the quote tags.

Phuket Gazette

"However, our investigation has revealed that he had argued with his Thai girlfriend. It would appear that Mr Zavyalov was unable to support her lifestyle and so she left him for another foreigner.

"He bought a dozen bottles of Thai whisky. He was later found dead in his room," Maj Patapee explained.

Mr Zavyalov's body was sent to Patong Hospital for medical examination and to await final instructions from his relatives.

pglogo.jpg

yes

Furthermore, it doesn't say anything about him drinking the whiskey - it says he bought it and was found with A bottle in his hand. How did the BIB find the whiskey if he'd already drunk it?

Empty bottles in those boxes?

Phuket Gazette

pglogo.jpg

yes

I'm still trying to figure out where somebody presumed there was no picture.

All spirits in thailand are 40 to 50 odd percent, same as the west.