High Season Or Idiot Season

PattayaPhom

The cheap charlie seem to find the new bottom, in my hotel bottle of water in the mini bar is 10 baht, and yet they would go all the way to the store to buy 1 for 8 or 9. not to mention taking 1 baht change after a meal

How does this interfere with your life?

You certainly keep your eyes open..........or maybe you're just really describing yourself?

how does that interfere with my life? well considering that i said i own a hotel and they prefer to go to the store to save 1 baht , that affects sales, which in turn affects profits which in turn affects my life style.

When they eat and wait for 1 baht change, it upsets my staff, when my staff is upset they do not come to work happy, when they do not come to work happy, they provide bad customer service, when they provide bad customer service i lose customers, which in turn again reflects on sales and again reflects on profits, which then reflects on life style.

Hope its sufficient enough explanation for you on how it interferes with my liferolleyes.gif

The answer for you is: raise your prices by 1 baht then there is no change!

and how would that improve the situation of not even 1 baht tip? or them taking the 1 baht change?

Edited by lemoncake

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheap charlie seem to find the new bottom, in my hotel bottle of water in the mini bar is 10 baht, and yet they would go all the way to the store to buy 1 for 8 or 9. not to mention taking 1 baht change after a meal

You certainly keep your eyes open..........or maybe you're just really describing yourself?

how does that interfere with my life? well considering that i said i own a hotel and they prefer to go to the store to save 1 baht , that affects sales, which in turn affects profits which in turn affects my life style.

When they eat and wait for 1 baht change, it upsets my staff, when my staff is upset they do not come to work happy, when they do not come to work happy, they provide bad customer service, when they provide bad customer service i lose customers, which in turn again reflects on sales and again reflects on profits, which then reflects on life style.

Hope its sufficient enough explanation for you on how it interferes with my liferolleyes.gif

The answer for you is: raise your prices by 1 baht then there is no change!

And reduce the price of your water so it is the same price as the convenience store.

There is nothing wrong with being a cheap charlie. Why pay more than you have to for anything?

So long as you're not cheating someone, stealing something or being fraudulent then what you do with your own money is up to you.

Nobody has ever tipped me over and above any price I have requested for goods or services supplied.

tip is a gesture of gratitude for good service or good taste or fast service.

No one is forcing you to tip, but if you want to get faster/preferential service one would.

Try not to tip in a nice bar and see what happens the next time you go order a round.

When i say a nice bar, i do not mean a beer bar, i mean a nice bar in any country in the world where drinks do not cost $3, but more like $10

In Pattaya all that counts is money! Do the locals tip? No. Oh I forgot we are all rich farangs.

Why not pay double for your air ticket and give the 50% as a tip? I'd accept your $10 drink and reciprocate in a beer bar.

There is nothing wrong with being a cheap charlie. Why pay more than you have to for anything?

So long as you're not cheating someone, stealing something or being fraudulent then what you do with your own money is up to you.

Nobody has ever tipped me over and above any price I have requested for goods or services supplied.

No one is forcing you to tip, but if you want to get faster/preferential service one would.

Try not to tip in a nice bar and see what happens the next time you go order a round.

When i say a nice bar, i do not mean a beer bar, i mean a nice bar in any country in the world where drinks do not cost $3, but more like $10

In Pattaya all that counts is money! Do the locals tip? No. Oh I forgot we are all rich farangs.

Why not pay double for your air ticket and give the 50% as a tip? I'd accept your $10 drink and reciprocate in a beer bar.

1. We are not talking about "crazy" tips

2. Yes locals do tip, especially when they want to show off they leave huge tips. I had 1 Thai guest who tipped the maid 300 baht and reception 300 baht for 2 days stay., when they get a takeaway they do not tip, when they eat in side, always minimum 20 baht tip

And reduce the price of your water so it is the same price as the convenience store.

LOL, i might as well start to give it all away for free.There is no excuse for someone to bother to go to the store over 1 baht and no point even trying to justify it, mind you 10 baht from a hotel mini bar is the cheapest price i have ever seen or heard of, in any 3 star its more like 30-60 baht.

• Like 1

and how would that improve the situation of not even 1 baht tip? or them taking the 1 baht change?

why should people tip if they don't want to? perhaps if you paid a better wage and took less profits then the staff wouldnt have to rely on tips as much and could come to work always happy...as for moaning about profits losing 1 baht to the 7/11 store water...you'd have to sell 100 bottles of water to make £2, how many rooms does your hotel have?

things must be tough when someone who can afford a hotel moans about losing 1 baht...its ironic you're calling people cheap charlies yet moaning about not earning 1 baht/2 pence profit..that sounds like true cheap charlie talk imo

perhaps you should be pleased you have guests rather than moan about where they decide to spend their own money

why should people tip if they don't want to? perhaps if you paid a better wage and took less profits then the staff wouldnt have to rely on tips as much and could come to work always happy...as for moaning about profits losing 1 baht to the 7/11 store water...you'd have to sell 100 bottles of water to make £2, how many rooms does your hotel have?

things must be tough when someone who can afford a hotel moans about losing 1 baht...its ironic you're calling people cheap charlies yet moaning about not earning 1 baht/2 pence profit..that sounds like true cheap charlie talk imo

perhaps you should be pleased you have guests rather than moan about where they decide to spend their own money

may i suggest you put on your glasses and re-read again, just a suggestionthumbsup.gif

may i suggest you put on your glasses and re-read again, just a suggestionthumbsup.gif

i have re-read and you are calling your customers cheap charlies because the dont want to purchase your water and would rather save themselves 1 baht, you then complain that your customers don't leave 1 baht tip and this has a knock on effect on how well your staff perform

i will repeat myself for the sake of clarity, perhaps if you paid your staff enough they wouldnt rely on tips and wouldnt feel let down when a customer decides to pocket their own change. when you complain about losing 1 baht you are no different than the person who is saving 1 baht, the difference is it's their money to do as they wish, you are unhappy because they arent giving you or your staff more money, they are already paying guests in your hotel

now you could fix your staffs mood and work ethic if you paid them more so they didn't have to rely on tips but like your customers it's your choice how you spend your money, i just find it odd that when things could be worse i.e you could have no customers, you complain about the customers you do have and over petty amounts such as 1 baht, that makes you sound cheap and resentful to your customers, the people who are supporting your hotel with their custom

your hotel isnt called fawlty towers is it? smile.png

Edited by bthai2012
  • Like 2

Definitely a lot more tourists around town now. Almost ran over 5 yesterday.

It's started.

Before our gloom-and-doom brigade rush to their yearly DYING PATTAYA obituaries, let me preempt and save you the trouble: it's gonna be the worst high season ever; nobody will make any money and businesses all over town will close; all the hotels will be empty; no condos, i.e., "concrete coffins," will be sold; this is the last nail in the coffin.

There.

• Like 1

i have re-read and you are calling your customers cheap charlies because the dont want to purchase your water and would rather save themselves 1 baht, you then complain that your customers don't leave 1 baht tip and this has a knock on effect on how well your staff perform

i will repeat myself for the sake of clarity, perhaps if you paid your staff enough they wouldnt rely on tips and wouldnt feel let down when a customer decides to pocket their own change. when you complain about losing 1 baht you are no different than the person who is saving 1 baht, the difference is it's their money to do as they wish, you are unhappy because they arent giving you or your staff more money, they are already paying guests in your hotel

now you could fix your staffs mood and work ethic if you paid them more so they didn't have to rely on tips but like your customers it's your choice how you spend your money, i just find it odd that when things could be worse i.e you could have no customers, you complain about the customers you do have and over petty amounts such as 1 baht, that makes you sound cheap and resentful to your customers, the people who are supporting your hotel with their custom

I will repeat myself AGAIN, to put your reading glasses on and re-read .

Since when does wage affect staff attitude towards tips?blink.png especially to taking 1 baht tip, its an insult to wait for 1 baht less the 1 cent in any country in the world

Yes i am calling my customers cheap charlies, because they would waste 15 mins of their life to save 1 baht and if you think there is nothing wrong with that, i have some sad news for you, there is something wrong with youwai2.gif

Its no different than driving 1 hour to another town to save $5 on something, while wasting $50 on gas, not to mention time involved, surely those "bargain hunters" also think they scored a bargain, not even realizing it has cost them 10 times morethumbsup.gif

As for for advice on how to run the business, may i suggest you stick to what you know best, whatever that is, perhaps posting rubbishwhistling.gif

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Since when does wage affect staff attitude towards tips?blink.png especially to taking 1 baht tip, its an insult to wait for 1 baht less the 1 cent in any country in the world

Yes i am calling my customers cheap charlies, because they would waste 15 mins of their life to save 1 baht and if you think there is nothing wrong with that, i have some sad news for you, there is something wrong with youwai2.gif

Its no different than driving 1 hour to another town to save $5 on something, while wasting $50 on gas, not to mention time involved, surely those "bargain hunters" also think they scored a bargain, not even realizing it has cost them 10 times morethumbsup.gif

As for for advice on how to run the business, may i suggest you stick to what you know best, whatever that is, perhaps posting rubbishwhistling.gif

so if you feel so strongly about it put up a sign informing your customers that you think they are cheap charlies for not spending more money in your hotel and btw what is the name of your hotel for future reference wink.png

staff wages have a lot to do with it, if you paid your staff enough to not rely on tips then they wouldnt feel insulted if someone decided to pocket their own change, if they have a decent wage each month without tips then they could just smile when a customer decides to pocket the 1 baht rather than as you put it allowing their customer service levels to drop, there's a saying and it rings true, my money is bettter in my pocket than in yours wink.png obvioulsy that doesnt relate to charities but are your staff really a charity case because of a poor salary?

now back to your water claims, if the shops can afford to sell their water cheaper than you and still make a profit then as pointed out if you drop your prices to match their price then you may shift more bottles of water, there's also a possiblility that your service is crap and thats why people decide to not tip, i mean here you are bad mouthing your customers, would your situation not be more serious if your hotel was unoccupied?

as for your insults, i'll try and ignore them 555 meanwhile please feel free to keep on moaning about all the 1 bahts you're losing, you high-roller biggrin.png

• Like 1

1. We are not talking about "crazy" tips

2. Yes locals do tip, especially when they want to show off they leave huge tips. I had 1 Thai guest who tipped the maid 300 baht and reception 300 baht for 2 days stay., when they get a takeaway they do not tip, when they eat in side, always minimum 20 baht tip

I rather dismissed show off behaviour as Pattaya is full of it. Your other posts are complaining about people taking 1 baht change, perhaps they know (at least I think I'm correct) that leaving a 1 baht tip is considered an insult and left to show distaste at poor service? Surely people can do what they like with their own money? I still think you are wrong but I'll be more than happy to pop into the Hilton to discuss this over $10 drinks - as long as you pay!

I rather dismissed show off behaviour as Pattaya is full of it. Your other posts are complaining about people taking 1 baht change, perhaps they know (at least I think I'm correct) that leaving a 1 baht tip is considered an insult and left to show distaste at poor service? Surely people can do what they like with their own money? I still think you are wrong but I'll be more than happy to pop into the Hilton to discuss this over $10 drinks - as long as you pay!

as long as i pay-lol, will you leave them a tip or also expect me to do it?tongue.png

Yes if the service or the product was bad , i agree, however when they return on daily basis and lick their plates so there is not a crumb left, perhaps a 20 baht tip on a 500 baht meal would be appropriate, do not you think?

so if you feel so strongly about it put up a sign informing your customers that you think they are cheap charlies for not spending more money in your hotel and btw what is the name of your hotel for future reference wink.png

staff wages have a lot to do with it, if you paid your staff enough to not rely on tips then they wouldnt feel insulted if someone decided to pocket their own change, if they have a decent wage each month without tips then they could just smile when a customer decides to pocket the 1 baht rather than as you put it allowing their customer service levels to drop, there's a saying and it rings true, my money is bettter in my pocket than in yours wink.png obvioulsy that doesnt relate to charities but are your staff really a charity case because of a poor salary?

now back to your water claims, if the shops can afford to sell their water cheaper than you and still make a profit then as pointed out if you drop your prices to match their price then you may shift more bottles of water, there's also a possiblility that your service is crap and thats why people decide to not tip, i mean here you are bad mouthing your customers, would your situation not be more serious if your hotel was unoccupied?

as for your insults, i'll try and ignore them 555 meanwhile please feel free to keep on moaning about all the 1 bahts you're losing, you high-roller biggrin.png

it is clear you do not have a business or ever had one, so i will not bother to get into this useless discussion.

Seem you can not even comprehend the basics, that hotel is not a supermarket nor it is cash-n-carry, lucky there are plenty of benches outside 7-11, and usually no shortage of cheap charlies, buying the beer and drinking it there.

15 minutes to get their change?! I wouldn't tip after that either...
  • Like 1

15 minutes to get their change?! I wouldn't tip after that either...

you have problem reading?

15 mins is what it takes them to go to the store to buy a bottle of water to save 1 baht

Edited by lemoncake

Wheres is the hotel?location.

I come holiday i january,stay about 2weeks.. What U price a night,week?

Before i stayed soi2,soi buakaow- 9carat condo and ambassador jomtien...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

3 road, , prices vary on the room type and there are no weekly rates.

So, just walk along 3 road and look for the lemoncake hotel?

• Like 1

not familiar with tv rules?

not familiar with tv rules?

pm me.

You sure it's not the fruitcake hotel? :(

• Like 1

it is clear you do not have a business or ever had one, so i will not bother to get into this useless discussion.

Seem you can not even comprehend the basics, that hotel is not a supermarket nor it is cash-n-carry, lucky there are plenty of benches outside 7-11, and usually no shortage of cheap charlies, buying the beer and drinking it there.

i provide more than well enough for myself and my family, i can afford to travel to parts of the world without relying on underpaying locals for my own benefit smile.png

it seems you dont comprehend the basics of running a hotel and that was what my fawlty towers remark was a reference to, you run a hotel yet hate your guests 555

the first rule of business is the customer is always right, yet when a customer decides to pocket their own money which could be because of a multitude of reasons you badmouth them online, you still didn't mention which hotel you own?

it could be that you are so remote with the nearest store being 15 minutes away and your guests don't have anything to do with their time...

it could be that your staff are in a foul mood because the last customer decided that the couple of baht change would be good for the toilet money and they didnt have anything smaller, your staff then go in a seemingly justified huff(with your approval) and drop their level of service for the next customer who then feels that the service isn't worth leaving a tip for

my point was that if you and your staff can feel resentful for losing out on 1 baht either in lost sales on water or a customers change then things must be pretty dire

you'd have to lose out 100 times just to be down on £2 yet here you are bad mouthing the customers who are still spending money in your business in financially tough times, so if they want to be a bit more frugal with their cash..upto them

the fact is you have placed yourself in the customer care and hospitality industry and therefore should provide a good service regardless of a customer leaving a tip, yet you feel justified in writing online about your customers spending habbits, all because they aren't throwing more money towards you and your staff and you then offer less customer care because you and your staff have become bitter due to your own expectations smile.png

Edited by bthai2012
  • Like 1

So how about adding a service charge to your bill, and then giving it all to the server(s) ? That way everyone has a smile on their face. If the customers are not happy with paying for service ( that is, they didn't get good service) then they can vote with their feet, and drink/eat elsewhere. If they like your service, then they will happily return and pay the service charge. You can presumably make the service charge anything you want ? 1%, 3%, 5% ? A 1% service charge on a 99 THB bill will sort out ( almost) that pesky 1 Baht.

you guys want to know a bit about owning running a hotel here in Pattaya

First thing I'll say is that being an owner of anything does not make you an expert, I've seen some disasters here in my time of people who thought they had it but found out they didn't, I've seen a few guys that have successful businesses here but I'd put that down more to luck than expertise.

I recently heard of a hotel here that blocked up all the electric sockets in the reception area so guests couldn't use the electricity for their laptops etc while having a coffee - <deleted> is that all about lol

So how about adding a service charge to your bill, and then giving it all to the server(s) ? That way everyone has a smile on their face. If the customers are not happy with paying for service ( that is, they didn't get good service) then they can vote with their feet, and drink/eat elsewhere. If they like your service, then they will happily return and pay the service charge. You can presumably make the service charge anything you want ? 1%, 3%, 5% ? A 1% service charge on a 99 THB bill will sort out ( almost) that pesky 1 Baht.

I have thought about this, but the problem is i get many guests/customers who do not speak English, which makes it very hard to explain things to them and notify them.

You see the problem is not lack of tips, the problem is that there are many who will take 1 baht change and come back every day(ie food and service must be good)

There also enough people who do not bother to run to the store to save 1 baht, and yet still plenty who would.

The question raised by OP was about the high season, so i merely stated that this year has a much higher number of "cheap charlies"

I know myself, when i go to stay in BKK i usually buy my soft drinks from the store, but only because the hotel where i always stay charges 50 baht for water and 70 baht for can of coke.

In my place, we charge 10 baht for water and 20 baht for cans of coke or alike, big difference :)