Eat Our Chicken Or Else, Says Thailand

george

Eat our chicken or else, says Thailand

THAILAND has threatened to impose trade sanctions on any country that refuses to accept its chicken.

Just a day after the European Commission complained of Thailand’s "disgraceful behaviour" in its cover-up of bird flu, the Thai commerce minister said he would retaliate against countries which would not accept Thai chicken.

"Thailand has done everything to everything to ensure that Thai chicken is safe," said Watana Muangsook.

"If the importing countries do not reopen their markets Thailand will raise some retaliatory measures on their products.

"Thailand will soon have to ask our counterparts to sterilise their Toyotas and perfume before they are shipped to Thailand," he said in a direct reference to bans imposed on Thai chicken by Japan and the European Union.

Mr Watana’s comments, which come after a four-year-old boy became Thailand’s sixth fatality from bird flu, were seen in Bangkok as more little more than another outrageous statement by a Thai government official.

His comments come four days after the Thai ambassador to Brussels, Surapong Posayanond, was summonsed to the European Commission to listen to a protest by Martin Power, the assistant to David Byrne, the European Commissioner for health and consumer protection.

Mr Surapong said he was told: "It was disgraceful that the Thai government misinformed the Commissioner, who directly oversees health and consumer protection.

"The Commissioner has lost his long-held confidence in the Thai government."

Mr Byrne made a public announcement in Thailand during a visit in January that the country was free of bird flu and that he was confident of the Thai government’s actions and assurances.

Three days later he had to eat his words as the Thai government admitted the truth.

It has since been shown that they had covered the matter up since November.

Thailand’s agricultural minister, Somsak Thepsuthin’s, claimed it was not the Thai government’s intention to cover up the outbreak but officials had just not been able to confirm it.

--Agencies 2004-02-05

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The commissioner has lost his long-held confidence in the Thai government," said the cable sent from Thailand's embassy in Brussels to the foreign ministry in Bangkok.

Power also reportedly said that Byrne had been heavily criticised by the European media for naively trusting Thai authorities.

The EU has already complained about Thailand's lack of transparency in dealing with bird flu, particularly after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra admitted the government suspected the outbreak but kept quiet for fear of causing panic.

EU furious over Thai government's bird flu "cover-up"

thank you so much thaksin you are a true leader of this country

THAILAND has threatened to impose trade sanctions on any country that refuses to accept its chicken.

Just a day after the European Commission complained of Thailand’s "disgraceful behaviour" in its cover-up of bird flu, the Thai commerce minister said he would retaliate against countries which would not accept Thai chicken.

don't try and throw your weight around Watana Muangsook, it will only make the thai image worse, the EU has already extended the ban for six months to August 15.

Newswise — The simultaneous existence of bird flu and a particularly virulent form of human influenza circulating this season is the "perfect set-up for something weird and dangerous" to happen on the world health scene, according to a University at Buffalo expert on infectious disease and geographic medicine.

"The worry is that if the two flu viruses cohabitate in the same person they will exchange genetic information and produce an influenza strain totally new to humans that can be passed from person to person," says Richard V. Lee, M.D., professor of medicine at the UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

"If that happens, we easily can have a pandemic flu on our hands," he says.

Stage May be Set for Bird Flu Pandemic, Says Infectious Diseases Expert

right now fingers are being pointed at everyone else within the thai government, but i just have one, a middle finger for thaksin.

"Thailand will soon have to ask our counterparts to sterilise their Toyotas and perfume before they are shipped to Thailand," he said in a direct reference to bans imposed on Thai chicken by Japan and the European Union.

...demonstrating the maturity level of a six-year old.

This is the way how to respond to the Foreign markets ! Of course everybody will tremble when Khun Takson is angry.

In the Netherlands in 2002 the same day birds flue was found, all birds in a circle of 3 km were destroyed. Not two months later ! But maybe some high ranking officials first want to get rid of their shares in Saha etc ?

Retaliate with non-tariff barieres ! Good !

My first customer already anticipated by contracting only one container of coconut milk for Feb shipment. The five for later: just wait, or better contract from Sri Lanka . "You never know how a trade war will develop. Maybe the EU will re-retaliate ??"

Maybe Mr Taksin wants also a medal from the other countries, just like Dr Supachai by NOT requesting for reduced import tariffs for the E.U. He did a marvellous job for the ASEAN countries to out-compete Thailand on the E.U. market.

Simply unbelievable. You couldn't make this stuff up!

This guy is pathetic. Good news for anyone planning on making an investment in Thailand however. Just wait about 6 months and then focus. The popping of bubbles can be heard round the world.

Mr Vietnam  :o

Score twice. Short your Thai portfolio now to soar above the air pocket about to be hit. Then double down long when our elected officials finally begin making nice noises to the EU and Japan.

Hey...wait, slow this train down a little...there has to be some reason for this type of behavior...normally, people respond and react for a reason, regardless of whether they work a bar, push a food cart or are powerful individuals in the Thai government. Something as crazy as this has to have a "reason"...doesn't it??? Stupid, comes to mind but I would hate to think that is it...is there some money thing involved here...There has to be a reason for this type of behavior. Is this particular branch of the Thai government related to the branch that is ready to close shop at midnight? Perhaps the same branch that wants to push the vendors off the streets...maybe all are internalizing and trying to resolve the issue in the south where they are burning schools and killing soldiers and police...could it be incompetence at all levels? Minus of couse those that work a bar and push a food cart...I like these folk...they are the people of Thailand.

Some of you guys are being very complimentary of "bird brain watana" in saying he has the maturity of a six year old.

The man has not got the inteligence or IQ of a geranium.

Notwithstanding that the real nigger (s) in the wood pile is taksin and his close cohorts.

They can't and won't see that the problem was not in thailand having bird fly but in lying about it. Now the world knows what longer term residents in the realm have know for years (and years) that no one can believe a single solitary utterance coming from the mouth of a thai.

Steam cleaning toyotas the is an absolute f... wit and he and his buddies are only diggind a bigger hole for themselves. If they shut their lying mouths thailand might be able to commence exporting chicken by the end of the year. The way they are going it will be no time soon.

Ahhh, some have asked if this is a case of stupidity or even childishness but what it reeks of is desperation. I think the more you turn the screws on a guy the more outlandish the things will be that come out of his mouth. When the finger pointing is done in Thailand there just might be some people losing their jobs and this guy is likely one of them. His only hope is that things resume to normal as quickly as possible so perhaps people forget about it since it's such a huge embarrasment to the entire government. Of course, the rest of the world not going along with that little plan, a plan probably worked out in all seriousness between several big players in the Thai government, really throws a wrench into the works.

It also somewhat reminds me of the recent ASEAN conference when they masked off the shanty towns in Bangkok with huge displays talking about how great Thailand is. Reality is what you make it.

And from the "Just when you thought things couldn't get any wierder" Dept.

Chicken feed

PATONG: An estimated seven tons of chicken and 40,000 eggs will be used in a free food festival in Patong on Saturday, February 7, to reassure consumers that chicken remains safe to eat despite the ongoing outbreak of avian ’flu.

The government-inspired initiative – all provinces have been ordered to hold similar events – aims to attract more than 10,000 diners to the Soi Bangla feast.

Diners can look forward to a selction of omelettes, curries, soups and other chicken dishes on Saturday including: <i>gaeng kiew wan kai</i> (chicken green curry); <i>laab kai</i> (spicy minced chicken with herbs); <i>khao man kai</i> (poached chicken and fragrant rice); and <i>sook sook</i> (well done chicken steak).

Speaking to the <i>Gazette</i> today, Sunart Wongchawalit, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Livestock Office (PPLO), said that chickens and eggs from Phuket farms have been guaranteed as safe by the PPLO.

He explained that 245 chickens and eggs from 107 Phuket chicken farms had been examined and found to be free of avian ’flu. In addition, chemical sprays are being used on vehicles entering and leaving farms to reduce the risk of cross-infection.

Similar decontamination measures are also being taken at the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint for vehicles coming into Phuket.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

18:29 local time (GMT +7)

Sounds like we have a new minister of desinformation like the idiot in Iraq...

" they (americans) are not in Bagdad , that's just firecrackers ??"

" They (the chickens) Are not sick an dying, This is a new thai invention , they kill themselves before you eat them"

They are plain and simple. " Monkeys just coming out of the trees "

Period.

B

Got to put my two cents in on this here.

Who does Thaskin think he is trying now to Bribe other countries and forcing them to eat Thailand Chickens that are infected???????

Secondly if he did cull all the chickens he should not have had any to spare to import and also have this so called confidence festival trying to shove his dirty chicken meat shiti to the public when 6 deaths now are reported from Thailand due to this disease.

OK so be it, my opinion Thaskin is a 5 year old that needs some distemper shots!!!!!!!!!!!! and he might need corona vaccinations so he can see straight.

There is no fuking way Thaskin can make you or anybody eat their crap.

:o:D

One sick SOB Now its a toss up who is worse Thaskin or Bush???????? or are they the same together???????

Daveyoti

Good morning Thailand.

This is a wake-up call.

Look at reality. Maybe this whole bird flu saga might affect the popularity of Mr. Thaksin, or internationally he might lose his credibility, but do we really think he will care about that? Don't forget, he is still the richest guy in this country and he has already proven that you can BUY this country. Everybody knows that he made an "honest mistake" and everybody knows that he could only get away with it because he could spend enough Baht to make the judges let him get away with it. The next elections are not untill next year, and the Thais have an incredible short memory for this kind of things, so when Mr. Thaksin throws in some tax payers money again for some populist policies, and maybe some of his own wealth to buy some votes, I am sure he will survive even this crisis, whether we like it or not.

:o

Sort of reminds me of the cult in Guyana where everybody committed sucide by taking cyanide thinking they will go to heaven for the better life.

I think this is as close as to this scenario the way Thaskin is fluffing his feathers :D

So if the Thai people have short memories many will be dead before elections because they ate the infected chickens already. :D:D I also suspect Thaskin imported chicken meat for this chicken festival and claim it is Thai chick meats. :D Betcha no one in the Government is touching any Thai Chick meats within 10 kilometers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another coverup.

Daveyoti :o