Thailand Trivia

Neeranam

I told a friend today that the photo on the album 'Combat Rock', by The Clash was taken in Makkasan Bangkok and that the band were here around 1980.

Is there any , perhaps useless but interesting, trivia you know about Thailand?

1292869060_combat-rock.jpg

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A double header:

The original "Siamese twins" Chang and Eng were born in Samut Songkram, the smallest Thai province.

Oh, I always thought ithe smallest was Nontaburi.

The largest province is Koratchasima, as I call it.

Edited by Neeranam

With my limited knowledge of Thai, I was pondering if there was any connection between Phar Lap - as in lightning and our esteemed Oz racehorse by the same name. From google it's unclear, but maybe a part owner of Phar Lap was indeed Thai ?

Phar Lap's name means 'lightning' in Thai. How a horse in Australia got a Thai name is a story in itself. A young man called Aubrey Ping, then a student in medicine at the University of Sydney, regularly watched horses in trackwork at Randwick and would often 'chew the fat' with riders and trainers.

Ping's father was a Zhuang speaker who migrated to Australia in the 19th century from southern China. Young Aubrey learnt some Zhuang from his father, and the Zhuang language shares with Thai the name for lightning. The use of the letters 'ph', instead of a simple 'f', created a seven letter name that was split into two words: Phar Lap. This was essential to Harry Telford because it replicated the dominant pattern set by Melbourne Cup winners.

• Like 1

Most common mineral found in Thailand is Tin.

Hat anyone? rolleyes.gif

I've got a fridge full of em...

what a fridge full of hats?

I guess he means those with Chang spelt on the breast plate, but then I figure you knew that biggrin.png

They stopped selling beer & soda in Tin cans since the 70's. :)

Full name of Bangkok, that Krung Thep mahanakorn etc etc, is the longest city name in the world.

102 syllables I believe?

Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharat Ratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amornphiman Awa-tarnsatthit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

(กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตรโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์)

Translates as :-

City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra's behest.

Edited by Neeranam

Full name of Bangkok, that Krung Thep mahanakorn etc etc, is the longest city name in the world.

102 syllables I believe?

Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharat Ratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amornphiman Awa-tarnsatthit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

(กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตรโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์)

Translates as :-

City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra's behest.

They made a song of it. Nice tune, quite catchy.