Daily Update For Police Check Points

stevenwalker211278

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but like in my case being stopped and fined for not wearing a helmet ( when it was on my head ) is just a pure joke

Let me get this straight. You got fined for no helmet when you were wearing one?

Did the cop see you stop up the road and put it on?

Did you have a valid license?

Did the bike have a valid tax disk?

no he didn see me stop as i was already riding .. and yes i was fully legal ,,, there was others without helmets but they slipped by so i was targeted

i wasn going to not stop as he was in the road and i had my girl on the back and didn fancy a chase

Why would you even consider not stopping if you were fully legal like you claim? Something isn't adding up here.

read some posts above .. again i have to explain .. i was legal etc .. wowzer this thread is hard work... how does it not add up

i wasn going to not stop as he was in the road and i had my girl on the back and didn fancy a chase

Why would you even consider not stopping if you were fully legal like you claim? Something isn't adding up here.

read some posts above .. again i have to explain .. i was legal etc .. wowzer this thread is hard work... how does it not add up

It's not the thread that's hard work :)

I have been riding a motorbike here since before the police even had checks. I have never, never been fined for anything that I wasn't guilty of.

The cops here all issue a receipt. You have to get the receipt stamped after you pay your fine and give it to the cop that issued it to get your motorbike.keys back.

I reckon you weren't legal in some respect and you have misunderstood why you were fined.

Just thinking outside the square, is it possible that the guy who pulled him over wasn't actually a sworn police officer???? In other words, he was impersonating a police officer.

The below article was in the PG just a couple of weeks ago. It does happen.

http://www.phuketgaz...ions-19358.html

**** I have just seen LIK's post. He posted while I was typing. Didn't mean to continue flogging the dead horse.****

Edited by NamKangMan

Just thinking outside the square, is it possible that the guy who pulled him over wasn't actually a sworn police officer???? In other words, he was impersonating a police officer.

At Chalong circle? No, not possible.

I have been riding a motorbike here since before the police even had checks. I have never, never been fined for anything that I wasn't guilty of.

The cops here all issue a receipt. You have to get the receipt stamped after you pay your fine and give it to the cop that issued it to get your motorbike.keys back.

I reckon you weren't legal in some respect and you have misunderstood why you were fined.

my keys were not taken as i would hand them over ... all he done was give me the fine told me to pay it ... so i rode over and paid it .. end of .. after kicking off i got told to pay 200 baht ... so its a defo that it was a set up

my keys were not taken as i would hand them over ... all he done was give me the fine told me to pay it ... so i rode over and paid it .. end of .. after kicking off i got told to pay 200 baht ... so its a defo that it was a set up

Okay. It was a set up just for you? No one else was or has been set up, at least according to us that have lived here for years...

beatdeadhorse.gif I think we are flogging that dead horse here. Let's just accept what the members say. He was fined for not wearing a helmet when he was in fact wearing a helmet. Let's move on folks, nothing to see here tongue.png

I like that dead-horse-being-beaten image too much.

For the record, I have also been fined for not wearing a helmet when I was, in fact, wearing one. It happened at Karon Circle, where police set up a checkpoint in 2003. Truth is I got pulled over because my tax sticker was out of date, but when I finally hit the front of the long 'pay here' line (about a 20 minute wait) and paid up, my (Thai-language) receipt read "Failure to wear a helmet", which is what all the other unsuspecting farangs got pulled over for....When I started to point out the discrepancy I was told to get to the back of the line or accept it and leave. I chose the latter.

Fortunately I have never been fined again.

To be fair to the OP, I like his original idea. I would also like to note that I have been "waved through" with smiles at several of the anti-drug checkpoints set up in recent months, one of which often appears outside my housing estate. We foreigners apparently get a free pass on these.

Final point: For the price, Archa (not 'Archer') is a much better brew than some posters here have given it credit for.

Good day people.

Final point: For the price, Archa (not 'Archer') is a much better brew than some posters here have given it credit for.

Good day people.

glassdude said Archer, I just repeated it. It must be some strong stuff if he can't spell it right.

Edited by Shot

Never said anything about being drunk.....

Couple of Archers while doing my grocery shopping is not being drunk....

What give the police the right to just stop you for no reason...

Road blocks are for one thing only and that is to extriciate money from your pocket, they care NOTHING for public safety...

Its not matter if you are not breaking any laws they still stop and harass inocent motorist....

YOU agree wuth that???

No sorry I for one do NOT agree with you. Unless there are checkpoints/road blocks how are the police able to check if you are driving legally with driving licence and insurance. I have no problem with the checkpoints even though once I had to pay 'tea money' - 200B fine with no receipt, for supposedly driving in the wrong lane approaching a check point when their was only a single lane anyway. But these instances are few and will always happen in Thailand.

Personally the more check points the better as far as I am concerned as I obey the law and love to see them that don't have to pay out money. Ok I might go over the speed limit sometimes but that is it.

What I do have a problem with is the paltry penalties for those who are driving illegally. This does not and will not, stop the offenders doing the same time and time again making driving here in Thailand very dangerous.

I come from the UK and just wish that the driving penalties were similar here with bigger fines and points deducted from your licence. Then for those drunk driving, a hefty fine plus a month in jail and suspension of licence for 6 months. The roads would be a lot safer.

As a non alcohol person I don't have a clue what an 'Archer' is. I would presume that it is an alcoholic drink and therefore having two would presumably put you over the legal limit.

HAHAHA and Archer is just cheap crap beer (and I not touch it either)

But,

it is hard for me to understand WHY you think it is good for the police to stop and search you for no reason other than they set up a road block,

No such thing as probabale cause to search in this country?

Why you WANT to live in a policed state and be subject to random searches by the police for no reason other than your out for a drive....

is beyond me...

Ps...I drink Leo its better and 2 beers in an hour is not over the legal limit in most countries ...i think

cheers

Road blocks are for one thing only and that is to extriciate money from your pocket, they care NOTHING for public safety...

Its not matter if you are not breaking any laws they still stop and harass inocent motorist....

YOU agree wuth that???

No sorry I for one do NOT agree with you. Unless there are checkpoints/road blocks how are the police able to check if you are driving legally with driving licence and insurance. I have no problem with the checkpoints even though once I had to pay 'tea money' - 200B fine with no receipt, for supposedly driving in the wrong lane approaching a check point when their was only a single lane anyway. But these instances are few and will always happen in Thailand.

Personally the more check points the better as far as I am concerned as I obey the law and love to see them that don't have to pay out money. Ok I might go over the speed limit sometimes but that is it.

What I do have a problem with is the paltry penalties for those who are driving illegally. This does not and will not, stop the offenders doing the same time and time again making driving here in Thailand very dangerous.

I come from the UK and just wish that the driving penalties were similar here with bigger fines and points deducted from your licence. Then for those drunk driving, a hefty fine plus a month in jail and suspension of licence for 6 months. The roads would be a lot safer.

As a non alcohol person I don't have a clue what an 'Archer' is. I would presume that it is an alcoholic drink and therefore having two would presumably put you over the legal limit.

But,

it is hard for me to understand WHY you think it is good for the police to stop and search you for no reason other than they set up a road block,

Why you WANT to live in a policed state and be subject to random searches by the police for no reason other than your out for a drive....

is beyond me...

Ps...I drink Leo its better and 2 beers in an hour is not over the legal limit in most countries ...i think

cheers

I think you will find that two beers in an hour does make you legally drunk while driving in Thailand.

This is not a policed state. It is Thailand. It has laws. Live here? Then get used to it. Too many times people critisise the police and the road traffic laws here but I for one wish there were much stricter laws. The only way to find out if people out driving legally is to stop and check them.

You were the one who stated you had two Archers in your opening post but now you say it was Leo?

• Like 1

YOU agree wuth that???

But,

is beyond me...

cheers

You mean 2 off these, right?

leo-beer-066l.jpg

Sometimes they want to do it very fast and they will find a reason to give you fine no matter what.

Only if you're doing something wrong.

Paying on the spot, without a receipt, maybe

Well 5 years in Phuket happened once to my friend so obviously it is not a common thing. He had a helmet, international driving license for motorbike and officer for some reason was keep checking him, asking questions, checking motorbike insurance, my friend got little bit inpatient and started to complain and he got fine for complaining 500 bht.

people want to avoid the chance of getting a fine for no reason

Yes, that is one of the reasons why many people here are wearing helmets, have their insurance and tax in order, etc.

But good luck with your 'campaign'.

so back to the post in matter ... people want to avoid the chance of getting a fine for no reason .. so if anyone spots a road block ( or a thai police armed robbery ) let us know

shpouldn't be a problem, with all the smart a.., eh, phones out there!

How about a new TV app: news ticker for roadblocks, first?

so back to the post in matter ... people want to avoid the chance of getting a fine for no reason .. so if anyone spots a road block ( or a thai police armed robbery ) let us know

I think its more about people who can operate a motor vehicle safely while under the influence who are worried about getting caught.

Over two-thirds of people in the above hyperlinked poll admit to have driven under the influence here, and and I suspect I am not the only forum member commenting here to be among them.

I think its more about people who can operate a motor vehicle safely while under the influence who are worried about getting caught.

Over two-thirds of people in the above hyperlinked poll admit to have driven under the influence here, and and I suspect I am not the only forum member commenting here to be among them.

"people who can operate a motor vehicle safely while under the influence"

Oh, yes, I heard about this tale, too. Looks like, more and more people believe it!

Edited by noob7
  • Like 2

Two beers in 1 hour is legal since it takes the body 1 hour to dispose of the alcohol in 1 beer.

One beer a hour in Australia to stop under the limit thats small bottles

Probably the same here

I drank four cans (Emu Export) in less than hour in Perth once.

Was stopped shortly afterwards at Barrack St Jetty, blew zero.