Get Active, Thais Told

webfact

Get active, Thais told

PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT

THE NATION

30194664-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thais spend more than half the day; over 13 hours on average 'doing very little' and only two hours of physical activity, a recent survey by the Mahidol University's Institute for Population and Social Research has found.

If the trend does not reverse, the population will continue to be plagued by obesity and other health problems, the researchers said.

"In fact, people should engage themselves in physical activity at least six hours a day," Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong said yesterday.

According to the survey, Thais sleep 8.2 hours on average and are physically idle for more than five additional hours each day.

Pradit said a strategy has been drawn up to promote physical activities for people such as walking and bicycling.

"They should do such activities on a daily basis."

The strategy would include good routes for walking and bicycling. It aims to raise the ratio of people with adequate physical activity in their lives from 10 per cent to 76 per cent by 2014.

Pradit was speaking in his capacity as deputy chair of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 20

Get active, Thais told

Should read, 'Wake up and get active'

According to the survey, Thais sleep 8.2 hours on average and are physically idle for more than five additional hours each day.

That's generous!

Strange that a photograph of two women was used, I would agree if it were of two Thai men!

• Like 2

Where is the motivation to stay fit and active when they cannot gain any benefit in getting old? Most Thais spend their hours living for the minute, not thinking about how much healthier they 'could be' in a life that comes to a dead end every time they try to turn a corner.

By the way, thirteen hours of inactivity + two hours of doing something = what happens during the other nine hours?

• Like 2

Yes. And it is far to easy to just jump onto one's motorbike to go a couple of hundred meters to the local store or neighbour's house,etc etc. Hell I was guilty of it in the past but I have now become more aware of my lazy Thaiways and walk a lot more.

Edited by coma

One could argue if most are even aware of the "dead end" you refer to, none the less cognizant of it's implications.

We must forgive them because the situation is the reslt of the education system. Not specifically the individuals fault.

It can be incredibly frustrating or sometimes entertaining. I will admit that it loses entertainment value after the 3rd person in the hour walks into me, or trying in vain to get something simple done (in their own language no less)

• Like 1

this article is so BKK centric. Come to Issan and see the ppl working 12 hours a day.

Isaan actually has its fair share of sloths. I just took a 15 minute walk to borrow a krok and saak and passed several of the day loungers. They seem to be mostly older women and must have someone supporting them, but there are other kinds as well.

What I find funny is how many people will use a motorbike to go two houses down the street. I see this all the time. I remember a couple weeks ago my wife wanted to drive to a party that was maybe a 5 minute walk. We drove less than 100m and had to park because there were so many cars.

I actually enjoy walking in the village and usually walk to the farthest shop to get something and listen to all the day loungers asking me to eat or drink lao khao with them. Perhaps it is the lack of sidewalks that discourages walking. But having space available for sidewalks requires some planning which, unfortunately, is a virtue lacking in this culture.

Edited by thirteenalpha

Yes. And it is far to easy to just jump onto one's motorbike to go a couple of hundred meters to the local store or neighbour's house,etc etc. Hell I was guilty of it in the past but I have now become more aware of my lazy Thaiways and walk a lot more.

You no Thai..no understand! B/S...

• Like 1

Where is the motivation to stay fit and active when they cannot gain any benefit in getting old? Most Thais spend their hours living for the minute, not thinking about how much healthier they 'could be' in a life that comes to a dead end every time they try to turn a corner.

By the way, thirteen hours of inactivity + two hours of doing something = what happens during the other nine hours?

Sleep.

• Like 1

2555 years to evolve into the survey and poll hub of the world! I guess there isn't much worry about their existence, since there seem to be no shortage of Thais being bred to replace those who don't measure up to "The" standard or "The" flavor of the day. Recyclable people... that's what they are, heh heh.

I sincerely believe if the olympics added "sleeping" an an official event team thailand would bring home gold.

Not limited to less educated either. I had once asked my accountant what sport she likes or what she does to stay in shape. She replied "sleep"

Keep in mind this can have a double meaning as it can be a polite way to refer to intimate activities. In her case for this question, it was "sleep" nothing else.

One of my thai-american friends had a severe ankle strain, was wearing a suportive wrap, and limping. He did comment that despite that, he was walking faster than the locals.

My concern is that if they move any slower, breathing might cease.

Edited by atyclb

"But... if I can't just sit around..and I have to walk to where I'm going instead of driving...and my whole family isn't obese, how will everyone know that we are better off than them?

Changing a lifestyle starts with changing the cultural mindset...which seems to be stuck in the 19th century. Good Luckwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif