Visa For Thai Girlfriend To Visit Uk

Theoldgit has linked to this post from VisasPlus earlier in this topic.

In that post VisasPlus quotes from the reply he recieved from the UKBA:-

With regard to internet banking, we acknowledge the fact that original statements may not be produced and will accept the internet printouts especially if they are backed with other forms of original evidence such as employment contracts and wage slips.

Thanks for quick reply 7by7, I guess i was reading too quick, I just wonder though, I find it a strange quote to say they will accept, especially with some original etc. Surely they should just say yes, we accept online bank printout.

Sorry, but this is my first visa application and I don't want to mess it up because of a spurious quote.

I guess I can book the hotel now. Thanks again 7by7 for all your help.

They couldn't actually say that as the law said that only original documents were acceptable. When it was pointed out to them that many people cannot obtain original bank statements easily, they made a concession ( pragmatically, but probably unlawfully), based on the initial query from Visas Plus as to whether they would accept internet printouts. Visa agents sometimes get bad press on forums, but they can show, as they did here, that they are able to get common sense style responses from UKBA.

Edited by Tony M

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tony, I guess we are just going to have to bite the bullet on this one, it's going to cost me but there is nothing I can do about it now. there is nothing I can show them to go with the printout apart from a bank card with the same bank but different account, one is a savings and the one with me is a current account. I am getting less and less confident about this now and I hate driving in Bangkok but I'm nearly all gray now so a few more won't bother me too much.

I'm not sure what you mean here ? Why is it going to cost you ?

What kind of printout is it ? Does it have the bank name as a header, etc, etc ? If so, and the rest of your documentation is good, then it may well be aceptable to the ECO. If it is lacking, then submit anyway, get originals from your bank and keep them ready to send to the Embassy if requested. If the application is refused on the grounds that your bank statements weren't original, then appealing against the decison should be enough to get that refusal decision overturned. Bear in mind also that you are probably only showing bank statments to confirm your income ( monthly salary credited). You don't actually have to have any money in the bank to meet the financial requirements. I'm talking in general terms, of course, as I don't know the details of your application.

Hi Tony, I guess we are just going to have to bite the bullet on this one, it's going to cost me but there is nothing I can do about it now. there is nothing I can show them to go with the printout apart from a bank card with the same bank but different account, one is a savings and the one with me is a current account. I am getting less and less confident about this now and I hate driving in Bangkok but I'm nearly all gray now so a few more won't bother me too much.

I'm not sure what you mean here ? Why is it going to cost you ?

What kind of printout is it ? Does it have the bank name as a header, etc, etc ? If so, and the rest of your documentation is good, then it may well be aceptable to the ECO. If it is lacking, then submit anyway, get originals from your bank and keep them ready to send to the Embassy if requested. If the application is refused on the grounds that your bank statements weren't original, then appealing against the decison should be enough to get that refusal decision overturned. Bear in mind also that you are probably only showing bank statments to confirm your income ( monthly salary credited). You don't actually have to have any money in the bank to meet the financial requirements. I'm talking in general terms, of course, as I don't know the details of your application.

When I say cost, I mean if I'm submitting something that they are not going to accept then I will have wasted....Fee 4000bht, Hotel 1000bht, Fuel 1000bht. Translations of other documents 1000bht plus.

The statement itself does show header etc and is of my savings account which will cover the cost of our stay etc. in England and is more than we need so shouldn't be a problem, as for original statements, I guess I will call them on Monday and ask them to send them to me if they will (I wonder if they will charge me), or send to my address in UK and I will have to arrange somebody I trust to collect them and post them to Thailand.

As for the other proof etc I believe to be good although the photo proof is a bit slim. I only have 11 photos over 3 years. We do have a child together who is 18 months and I am on the birth certificate so I guess I will but that in too.

I am basically putting everything in that has any bearing on her visa, the only problem with this is it's going to cost with the translations.

Another thing, my partners friend got a uk visitors visa a few years back and has recently told her that she needed proof that she wasn't married, I said that surely that was for a different type of visa, what bearingf would it have on hers? Also I didn't see any mention about this in the visa application so god only knows what she was on about. Thanks Tony

Sorry, my fault here. I thought you were applying for a settlement visa. Okay, then yes you do need to show funds, so the bank statement becomes important. So, forget most of what I said about appeals and things.

The ECO might well refuse if he is not happy about your funds. If the balance in your accounts, and the statements themselves, look okay, then the ECO should look favourably on it. But, as you say, you may have to go with what you have. Some banks will fax bank statements to you. I know this from experience, so ask them if they can do that. The decision might rest on the "quality" of the other documents that you submit - wage slips, etc.

You could also possibly reschedule your appointment to submit ( that's easy enough to do), and have the original statements couriered to you ?

Good luck

Edited by Tony M

I will call the bank on monday and see if they will fax to hotel in Bangkok but surely a fax will be just the same as a printout from my internet statement.

Anyway i've booked the hotel now so I'm going for it. Thanks for all the advice.

Yes, but a fax, an internet printout, and an explanatory letter might just sort you out. You would then just need a sympathetic ECO dealing with the application smile.png

The Old Git very kindly answered a question by PM. I think it is appropriate to record it here.

I had (wrongly) assumed that the following meant you could not not apply for a visa until 3 months or less before your departure date.

Applying for a UK visa in Thailand

This page explains how you can apply for a visa to come to the UK if you are currently in Thailand or Laos.

If you currently have temporary permission to stay in Thailand or Laos (for example, as a student or a visitor), you can only apply for some types of UK visa - see 'More information' below.

When to apply

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. We strongly advise you not to confirm your travel arrangements until you have received your visa. To find out how long we usually take to process your type of visa, see the Visa processing times page.

A Thai friend also told me that someone they knew was declined for "applying too early" - I cannot confirm the specific facts in that case.

I am planning to travel in June and return mid July. ToG kindly confirmed that you can ask for the visa to be post-dated up to 3 months. In my case it is unlikely that a visa will be issued before 18th January (we will apply 11th Jan) and as it is valid for 6 months from date of issue, it will cover up to my return date.

Also - the visa4UK website does not give the option of paying the visa via the bank at Regent House. I think it is useful to know that.

Edited by cardholder

Hi there I've just been reading this and was wondering how much it costs for the actual visa application? and what kind of amount of money they would deem "favourable" to have in the bank to last 6months?. My partner and I are engaged we own a business in Thailand plus she owns a property there to.

Also - the visa4UK website does not give the option of paying the visa via the bank at Regent House. I think it is useful to know that.

You can not pay for your visa at the bank in Regent House, but you can obtain a cheque from the bank to pay for the visa when you submit the documents.

You can not pay for your visa at the bank in Regent House, but you can obtain a cheque from the bank to pay for the visa when you submit the documents.

Is that not the same thing ???????

Hi there I've just been reading this and was wondering how much it costs for the actual visa application? and what kind of amount of money they would deem "favourable" to have in the bank to last 6months?. My partner and I are engaged we own a business in Thailand plus she owns a property there to.

MrC, I have just been to regent house for general visitors visa, cost me a pinch under 4000bht. As for the amount of money you need then they don't specify, you need to take into account where you will be staying and it's cost. If, like me, you are staying with family who will not be charging you for accommodation then it's just a case of working out how much you will need to live on and trips etc, if your account is showing you have enough then I wouldn't worry, having said that, I don't know if our visa has been granted yet, just hope that UKBO have sensible heads.

No.

Semantics ! tongue.png

The point that has been missed is that you can take your cash to the bank at Regent House and obtain the medium of exchange that will allo you to pay for your visa - a bit like beer tokens. This option is not mentioned on the visa4UK website (or at least I could not see it).

Using the bank in Regent House to obtain your cheque seem slike the best option for many people.

The Visa4UK site covers the whole world, or at least the large part of it where you can apply online. It would be unreasonable to expect them to list all the banks in all the countries covered where applicants could purchase a bankers draft!

It does say, though

Depending on which country you are in, you may also be able to pay your application fee (online).......
A facility it is to be hoped will be extended to Thailand sooner rather than later.

Applying for a UK visa in Thailand tells applicants how to pay and where they can purchase the necessary cashier's cheque or banker's draft from.

So the information on how to pay in Thailand is easily found. Maybe they could say that the bank in Regents House can do it; but so can every other bank!

Obtaining a cashiers cheque or bankers draft is not the same as paying the fee; payment can only be made at the VAC and is not done until the applicant hands the cheque or draft over.

The Visa4UK site covers the whole world, or at least the large part of it where you can apply online. It would be unreasonable to expect them to list all the banks in all the countries covered where applicants could purchase a bankers draft!

It does say, though

Depending on which country you are in, you may also be able to pay your application fee (online).......
A facility it is to be hoped will be extended to Thailand sooner rather than later.

Applying for a UK visa in Thailand tells applicants how to pay and where they can purchase the necessary cashier's cheque or banker's draft from.

So the information on how to pay in Thailand is easily found. Maybe they could say that the bank in Regents House can do it; but so can every other bank!

Obtaining a cashiers cheque or bankers draft is not the same as paying the fee; payment can only be made at the VAC and is not done until the applicant hands the cheque or draft over.

Thanks - I had overlooked the Global nature of the website.

Online payment would be great (SHOULD be automatically available).

Where I live it is not that easy getting a bank draft. Paying at a bank in Regents House is by far the best option for me - and it SHOULD be included in the Thailand payment information.

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys work this out,, i wrote a letter to my landlord a housing association asking for permission for gf to visit stating intended date she will arrive and the day she will fly back to thailandand that she is on a visiting visa ,, the reply ,, permission is granted however you must inform housing benefit and should this become long term i will have to supply her details so they can be added to the tenancy yet i stated in letter asking for permission that she was on a visiting visa as she would have to be back in thailand for her work also the letter looks as thou it as been wrote on there letter head paper then photo copied and they have given me the photo copy will this be acceptable for her visa applcation

I'm going to butt in here as I'm considering a trip with the Thai Gf to the UK next year.

Havent read through all the links yet but will soon, possibly they will answer the following question.

We have lived togerter in TL for the last 6 yrs and in that time have travelled together to Lao, 2 trips (not visa runs), Singapore, OZ and 2 trips to NZ and before we met she had been to India.

Will this history of travel together have a positive effect on any application?

I'm going to butt in here as I'm considering a trip with the Thai Gf to the UK next year.

Havent read through all the links yet but will soon, possibly they will answer the following question.

We have lived togerter in TL for the last 6 yrs and in that time have travelled together to Lao, 2 trips (not visa runs), Singapore, OZ and 2 trips to NZ and before we met she had been to India.

Your girlfriends travel history will be a part of the bigger picture and will certainly help to convince the ECO that she is likely to comply with the terms of her visa, as she has done so previously, especially the trips to OZ and NZ. Make sure you provide corresponding copies of your passport to indicate that you travelled together, you may not of been stamped in and out of OZ and NZ but you will have corresponding Thai stamps.

The fact that you live together in Thailand is also a plus factor.

ok guys work this out,, i wrote a letter to my landlord a housing association asking for permission for gf to visit stating intended date she will arrive and the day she will fly back to thailandand that she is on a visiting visa ,, the reply ,, permission is granted however you must inform housing benefit and should this become long term i will have to supply her details so they can be added to the tenancy yet i stated in letter asking for permission that she was on a visiting visa as she would have to be back in thailand for her work also the letter looks as thou it as been wrote on there letter head paper then photo copied and they have given me the photo copy will this be acceptable for her visa applcation

The UKBA do ask for original documents to be submitted, but if this all you have been given I would submit that, I might be inclined to submit a sentence in my covering letter that this was what was given to you.

I suspect that as your girlfriend is going to provide proof that she will be returning to work in Thailand, and this is only a short holiday, I doubt if they would be too concerned, the ECO could possibly telephone the author if they are concerned at it's authenticity.

Your girlfriends travel history will be a part of the bigger picture and will certainly help to convince the ECO that she is likely to comply with the terms of her visa, as she has done so previously, especially the trips to OZ and NZ. Make sure you provide corresponding copies of your passport to indicate that you travelled together, you may not of been stamped in and out of OZ and NZ but you will have corresponding Thai stamps.

The fact that you live together in Thailand is also a plus factor.

Thanks for that I suspected as much.

One more thing: I am considering renting a motorhome for our stay (owned one in NZ and hired one in OZ) that would be our only accommodation.

The only proof I could give of that would be copies of E mail conversations with a hire Co, obviously wouldnt book until a visa has been granted. Do you think that would be a problem?

Could provide photos of us with vans in NZ ans OZ if that would help.

Robby

Motorhomes are not as popular in the UK as they are "down under", many holidaymakers do use caravans/trailers, I know because I often got stuck behind them on my travels.

You are correct in saying that you shouldn't confirm bookings until your girlfriends visa has been issued, in fact an itinerary should suffice.

By all means supply a few photos of your overseas trips, but don't overwhelm them.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Robby

Motorhomes are not as popular in the UK as they are "down under", many holidaymakers do use caravans/trailers, I know because I often got stuck behind them on my travels.

You are correct in saying that you shouldn't confirm bookings until your girlfriends visa has been issued, in fact an itinerary should suffice.

By all means supply a few photos of your overseas trips, but don't overwhelm them.

A problem there could be that we wont really have an itinerary other than Arriving at London and probably departing Glasgow, thoughts at present are to do a bit in England but most of the trip, 3 weeks, in Scotland (born there). Being independent we can go where we want.

Still I suppose If I manufacture an itinerary no one will know the differance if we change it once we are there.

I shouldn't worry too much worry about what your itinerary says, it's not that you are going manufacture it, it's just an indication of what you guys plan to do, you certainly wouldn't be held to it.

You are both visiting the UK, you both live in Thailand, you have a history of travel together and your trip is affordable, you will not have a problem.

I shouldn't worry too much worry about what your itinerary says, it's not that you are going manufacture it, it's just an indication of what you guys plan to do, you certainly wouldn't be held to it.

You are both visiting the UK, you both live in Thailand, you have a history of travel together and your trip is affordable, you will not have a problem.

Thanks a lot you are a big help.

Robby

ok does she need to have a plane ticket before she applies,,, as she will have a letter from her employer that she as 18th june till 11th july and as to return to work 12 th july also if i state in letter of inviting her that i shall return to thailand with her on 6th of july

As Beano says do not purchase an airline ticket until she has her visa, but a letter from her employer is helpful in proving ties to Thailand and therefore a reason to return.

Don't forget you can book a flight without having to pay up front. You are given a several weeks to confirm the booking and pay - if you don't get the visa the booking can be cancelled, if you do get the visa you can confirm and pay. Print outs can be made of the bookings and included in the application.

Having a print out of a flight does help the application.

For the UK, return tickets and/or provisional flight bookings are not considered as evidence that the applicant will leave the UK by the expiry of their visa. For two reasons.

1. The UKBA specifically advise against booking flights/tickets before the visa is issued.
  2. Even if tickets or a provisional flight booking were included in an application, the ECO would ignore them. The view being that if a person intended to break the conditions of their visit visa and, for example, overstay and work illegally then the difference in cost between a single ticket and a return is small enough to make that loss worthwhile.

For the UK, return tickets and/or provisional flight bookings are not considered as evidence that the applicant will leave the UK by the expiry of their visa. For two reasons.

1. The UKBA specifically advise against booking flights/tickets before the visa is issued.
  2. Even if tickets or a provisional flight booking were included in an application, the ECO would ignore them. The view being that if a person intended to break the conditions of their visit visa and, for example, overstay and work illegally then the difference in cost between a single ticket and a return is small enough to make that loss worthwhile.

I have included flight bookings in the pack that my GF will submit . I accept the point above but you can argue that the itinerary is equally superfluous - as far as reasons to return are concerned. I would suggest that they are more relevant to evidence of means if you have pre-paid elements of the trip.

Apologies for asking this question as I am sure it has been covered before:-

My GF has an appointment tomorrow to submit her visa application - can I go in with her (she also has to get a cheque from the bank for the visa fee).

You can go with here to Regent House, but you will not be allowed inside the VFS office, I'm sure I don't need to advise you to be on the look out out for touts and make sure she goes into the correct office and not one of the agents.

There is a bank in the building where you can get the draft, I don't think it's a Bank of Ayuhya so you would need to pay.