Is Traffic Affecting Your Decisions On When And Where To Go?

steelepulse

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A basic chronological order of events regarding transport and some unfortunate first time tourists coming to Phuket.

1) The Phuket Airport exit door opens. 1300 baht for "Airport Limo" (Toyota Camry) to hotel. So many touts harrassing them that they can't look to the right and see the "metered" taxis.

2) They want to go to the beach. Anywhere from 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

3) After the beach, they want to go for lunch or to the market, another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

4) They want to go home to shower and go out for dinner and drinks, or maybe see Bangla Road. Another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

5) They are drunk and it's late and they want to go home. Now 400 to 800 baht in a tuk-tuk to go home.

6) The next day they see "motorbike for rent 200 baht" or "car for rent 1000 baht." Some rent a rent a bike, some rent a car. Many of them are unlicensed to ride a bike, and some of them have never been on a bike before. Some opt for neither, and now realise that they will be paying more in local transport for their holiday than they did for their accommodation.

7) Road Block - ticket for unlicensed riding, or prompted to "pay fine now - no need go police station." They pay the police officer, and ride off, still unlicensed.

8) Unfamiliar with the roads and traffic conditions and/or intoxicated, they have an accident. Death, serious or minor injury occurs. In the case of injury, they go to hospital. No travel insurance because not licensed to ride, they pay for treatment, or hospitalisation, out of their own pocket. Not cheap for some.

9) They are now laid up with broken bones etc in their hotel room trying to keep infection out of their wounds, so, on antibiotics and some pain killers, no alcohol allowed. Now, they are bored, in pain, have restricted movement and not having a great holiday.

10) They have now cancelled all of their island hopping, activities and shows. No refund.

11) They return the bike to the rental shop, damaged. They are made to pay anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 baht (the cost of a new bike) for the damage. They disagree, so police arrive. Police officer says, "you pay or go gaol." They pay, and are not happy.

12) Time to leave, they get a 750 baht ex-black taxi that takes them to the airport and they go home.

13) They tell all of their friends and family about their wonderfull holiday on Phuket, showing off proudly their scars and injuries, commonly known as "Phuket tattoos." smile.png

14) The ones that rented a car are still driving along Beach Road looking for a car park, amongst all the tuk-tuks and motorbike hire - they have been looking for over an hour now. smile.png

15) They find a car park. A Thai guy appears, with his friends behind him, and tells them very aggressively, "you not park here." To avoid a confrontation, they back out of the car park and drive off, only to see in their rear view mirror a tuk-tuk and just driven into their car park. They drive past the length of the beach, several times, and only see parked tuk-tuks.

16) They drive around and around looking where to park for the beach, for lunch, for markets, their guest house, their hotel - the car has become a real burden for them now and is restricting their freedom.

17) They return the car and ask for a refund. "Sorry, no refund" they are told. They're not so happy about this, but move on.

18) The next day, they organise a driver. 1500 baht for 6 hours. They are happy about this, but still 500 baht more than a rental car at your disposal 24 hours - if only there could be more parking available. smile.png

19) They get a 750 baht ex-black taxi to the airport and go home.

20) They go home and tell all their friends and family Phuket is great but you must stay in a hotel/guest house that is near what you want to see and do. Eg. Beach, Junceylon, markets, nightlife. Or, be prepared to pay more in local transport than the cost of your accommodation.

21) The relatives of the deceased from the accidents here await the arrival of a coffin containing their loved one at the airport in their home country.

22) The bike rental, car rental, hospitals, tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers, taxi association leaders and Thai officials all make large deposits into their bank accounts.

23) A new tourist has arrived - the Phuket Airport exit door opens and it all starts again.

I do not think genuine tourists think Tuk Tuks or taxis are expensive here compared to there home

country, its part of the cost of enjoying yourself when on Holiday's and not expensive IMO

So, you seriously don't think they weigh up the cost, and conveinience, of 200 baht per day for a motorbike, or 1000 baht a day for a car, as being better value for money than catching tuk-tuks several times a day?

If what you are saying is correct, why is there soooooooo much motorbike hire and car hire available on Phuket????

Of course, this relevant to the OP, because it's creating a lot of traffic on the island.

No i dont i am talking about genuine tourists not backpackers etc

Phuket is not a expensive tourist destination as you like to beleive

A basic chronological order of events regarding transport and some unfortunate first time tourists coming to Phuket.

1) The Phuket Airport exit door opens. 1300 baht for "Airport Limo" (Toyota Camry) to hotel. So many touts harrassing them that they can't look to the right and see the "metered" taxis.

2) They want to go to the beach. Anywhere from 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

3) After the beach, they want to go for lunch or to the market, another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

4) They want to go home to shower and go out for dinner and drinks, or maybe see Bangla Road. Another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

5) They are drunk and it's late and they want to go home. Now 400 to 800 baht in a tuk-tuk to go home.

6) The next day they see "motorbike for rent 200 baht" or "car for rent 1000 baht." Some rent a rent a bike, some rent a car. Many of them are unlicensed to ride a bike, and some of them have never been on a bike before. Some opt for neither, and now realise that they will be paying more in local transport for their holiday than they did for their accommodation.

7) Road Block - ticket for unlicensed riding, or prompted to "pay fine now - no need go police station." They pay the police officer, and ride off, still unlicensed.

8) Unfamiliar with the roads and traffic conditions and/or intoxicated, they have an accident. Death, serious or minor injury occurs. In the case of injury, they go to hospital. No travel insurance because not licensed to ride, they pay for treatment, or hospitalisation, out of their own pocket. Not cheap for some.

9) They are now laid up with broken bones etc in their hotel room trying to keep infection out of their wounds, so, on antibiotics and some pain killers, no alcohol allowed. Now, they are bored, in pain, have restricted movement and not having a great holiday.

10) They have now cancelled all of their island hopping, activities and shows. No refund.

11) They return the bike to the rental shop, damaged. They are made to pay anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 baht (the cost of a new bike) for the damage. They disagree, so police arrive. Police officer says, "you pay or go gaol." They pay, and are not happy.

12) Time to leave, they get a 750 baht ex-black taxi that takes them to the airport and they go home.

13) They tell all of their friends and family about their wonderfull holiday on Phuket, showing off proudly their scars and injuries, commonly known as "Phuket tattoos." smile.png

14) The ones that rented a car are still driving along Beach Road looking for a car park, amongst all the tuk-tuks and motorbike hire - they have been looking for over an hour now. smile.png

15) They find a car park. A Thai guy appears, with his friends behind him, and tells them very aggressively, "you not park here." To avoid a confrontation, they back out of the car park and drive off, only to see in their rear view mirror a tuk-tuk and just driven into their car park. They drive past the length of the beach, several times, and only see parked tuk-tuks.

16) They drive around and around looking where to park for the beach, for lunch, for markets, their guest house, their hotel - the car has become a real burden for them now and is restricting their freedom.

17) They return the car and ask for a refund. "Sorry, no refund" they are told. They're not so happy about this, but move on.

18) The next day, they organise a driver. 1500 baht for 6 hours. They are happy about this, but still 500 baht more than a rental car at your disposal 24 hours - if only there could be more parking available. smile.png

19) They get a 750 baht ex-black taxi to the airport and go home.

20) They go home and tell all their friends and family Phuket is great but you must stay in a hotel/guest house that is near what you want to see and do. Eg. Beach, Junceylon, markets, nightlife. Or, be prepared to pay more in local transport than the cost of your accommodation.

21) The relatives of the deceased from the accidents here await the arrival of a coffin containing their loved one at the airport in their home country.

22) The bike rental, car rental, hospitals, tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers, taxi association leaders and Thai officials all make large deposits into their bank accounts.

23) A new tourist has arrived - the Phuket Airport exit door opens and it all starts again.

I do not think genuine tourists think Tuk Tuks or taxis are expensive here compared to there home

country, its part of the cost of enjoying yourself when on Holiday's and not expensive IMO

So, you seriously don't think they weigh up the cost, and conveinience, of 200 baht per day for a motorbike, or 1000 baht a day for a car, as being better value for money than catching tuk-tuks several times a day?

If what you are saying is correct, why is there soooooooo much motorbike hire and car hire available on Phuket????

Of course, this relevant to the OP, because it's creating a lot of traffic on the island.

No i dont i am talking about genuine tourists not backpackers etc

Phuket is not a expensive tourist destination as you like to beleive

Do you use tuk-tuks Peter? If not, why not? You expect all the "genuine tourists" to use them, and when they don't, you wonder why the traffic is so bad here.

Phuket does not attract many backpackers because it's too expensive for them. Of the ones that do come here, they are in and out of here in a few days.

Edited by NamKangMan

Why would i use Tuk Tuks i have my own transport as you should know

I did use Tuk tuks when i originally arrived here

A lot of backpackers stop here for more than a few days as people who have backpacker accommodation would know

There's more backpacker accommodation in Phuket than there has been for many years.

It's a mix. Most are in and out in two to three days but plenty stay a week and more. Many also hop between the beaches, a couple of nights each in Kata, Karon, Patong and Kamala, also Phuket Town, to avoid paying for expensive tuktuks and taxis.

A dorm bed is cheaper than a one way taxi in many instances.

As to SteelePulse's OP... Volume of traffic has not affected when or where I go... It has however affected choice of vehicles. Peak traffic times are moto times for me rain or shine!

Again NKM seems to have his own agenda... Question: is it possible for some people to post without thread hijacking?

As to SteelePulse's OP... Volume of traffic has not affected when or where I go... It has however affected choice of vehicles. Peak traffic times are moto times for me rain or shine!

Not to forget the parking, eh, the 'you no park here' situation, right?

Again NKM seems to have his own agenda... Question: is it possible for some people to post without thread hijacking?

How can you say the "volume of traffic has not affected where or when I go?" It's simple time and motion logic. The more traffic, the more time. It may not affect your destination choice, but it definately must affect the time it takes you to get there. You have already admitted it affects your choice of vehicle, so, it affects your arrival time and in what mode of transport you use. Let's be honest, it affects all of us.

No agenda here. Let's call a spade a spade. Public transport is not existent here and we all know why.

Everyone - tourists, expats and locals are affected. It's a sh*te situation on Phuket and the world knows it, and if they don't, when they get here, they soon find out about it. It's a little hard to deny.

I don't know why you think my post hjacked this thread. The OP is about the amount of traffic on the island, which is directly related to the public transport issue here. It really is that simple.

Edited by NamKangMan

How can you say the "volume of traffic has not affected where or when I go?" It's simple time and motion logic. The more traffic, the more time. It may not affect your destination choice, but it definately must affect the time it takes you to get there. You have already admitted it affects your choice of vehicle, so, it affects your arrival time and in what mode of transport you use. Let's be honest, it affects all of us.

No agenda here. Let's call a spade a spade. Public transport is not existent here and we all know why.

Everyone - tourists, expats and locals are affected. It's a sh*te situation on Phuket and the world knows it, and if they don't, when they get here, they soon find out about it. It's a little hard to deny.

I don't know why you think my post hjacked this thread. The OP is about the amount of traffic on the island, which is directly related to the public transport issue here. It really is that simple.

Maybe you missed my post saying that more traffic has not affected my travel times; only the amount of traffic lights. If you ride a small bike, you don't get stuck in traffic.

Think about it.

Maybe you missed my post saying that more traffic has not affected my travel times; only the amount of traffic lights. If you ride a small bike, you don't get stuck in traffic.

Think about it.

So, it's affected your choice of vehicle as well, and when everyone else choses a motorbike,, for the same reason as yourself, are you not at the front but amongst more and more motorbikes now????

Think about it.

So, it's affected your choice of vehicle as well, and when everyone else choses a motorbike,, for the same reason as yourself, are you not at the front but amongst more and more motorbikes now????

No, it hasn't affected my choice of vehicle. I have always ridden a motorbike.

Yes, there are more motorbikes. I may now find myself 6 metres back from the front line instead of being in the front line.

This is very easy to understand NKM, no need to make a complete dog's dinner out of it. To summarize:-

Small bike, no change in trip length due to traffic, only small increase due to an increase in the number of traffic lights.

Large bikes and four-wheeled vehicles trip length increased due to traffic and increase in traffic lights.

With all the hype and news of the Central lane closures you would think that somebody would have the brains to enforce the No Parking outside Central but NO went through there at 11.30 this morning and about 10 cars parked up.

Should not really be surprised .Clueless

No money to be made for the BIB.

With all the hype and news of the Central lane closures you would think that somebody would have the brains to enforce the No Parking outside Central but NO went through there at 11.30 this morning and about 10 cars parked up.

Why not?

Fine anyone parking there. Then it'll soon stop.

Saw it myself this afternoon and really didn't believe that even in Phuket, people can be so stupid and selfish.

Why not?

Fine anyone parking there. Then it'll soon stop.

Saw it myself this afternoon and really didn't believe that even in Phuket, people can be so stupid and selfish.

I thought that would be the one thing they would enforce. Surely the police could make quite a bit of money off this although they really need to ensure nobody parks there in the first place which would not be a money spinner.

Patong is a nightmare. I travel off peak hours to get to the airport and it can still take 1 hour to 90 minutes (if raining). I haven't done any leisure excursions on Phuket in the past year because of the traffic and I don't know how people deal with the long commutes to wherever they are going. I have no solutions, save to say, that public transit is needed.

Fortunately, I now have a choice and am checking out alternative locations. Traffic, in your face corruption, pollution, over crowding, a shakey power/water supply and a cost of living 25% higher than elsewhere is my incentive, That and me wanting to get away from an ex that is on a vendetta.wink.png

• 5 weeks later...

The traffic seems to be more and more aggressive these days. Maybe it's due the high season, maybe in general.

I had couple of close calls in past few weeks, which have taken it's toll on my riding with scooter. I was thinking of riding to take some photos of the tsunami events, but opted not to as it would be too much stress to be in the traffic.

For the new years parties, I probably stay at the northern part of the Phuket simply to avoid the crazy traffic.

It's not fun anymore to ride around.

Roads are crazy busy now. Lots of large and small buses. The usual crazy tourists on m/bikes. And I notice a lot more tourists renting cars.

Is not really a solution for Patong tourists, isn't it?

Using Tuk Tuk's is bad.

Trying to park a car in Patong is worse.

Probably that's, why they 'no park here, no park here'?

Starts more and more in Karon, too!

Trying to park a car in Patong is worse.

Probably that's, why they 'no park here, no park here'?

Starts more and more in Karon, too!

Yes, and do you notice that most of the cars parked in Patong and Karon have a yellow sticker on the door = private taxis sick.gif

I notice more the still invisible illegals parking in line with the cans and the cars with stickers.

Maybe I got some special glasses from the optician. I should recommend him to the BiB's.

Could help, to let them see the illegals, too!

oops, can't do: "For Farang eyes only"

Also i notice, that the yellow parking slots for Tuk Tuks are more and more only the middle point of the line. Looks like a Domino game: you have to start there, but afterwards, extend, extend, extend.

Dominos_Pizza_Guarantee_Delivery_1_ibelieveinadv-412x329.jpg

Edited by noob7

I thought for a while that many employees had left Phuket early this week for New Year’s celebration in their home province because it’s been unusual quiet in the morning and afternoon around town the last days but today was clearly popping day for the monthly champagne (paycheck) and the traffic increased manifold throughout the day and yes its seems like the driving is more aggressive.

I thought for a while that many employees had left Phuket early this week for New Year’s celebration in their home province because it’s been unusual quiet in the morning and afternoon around town the last days but today was clearly popping day for the monthly champagne (paycheck) and the traffic increased manifold throughout the day and yes its seems like the driving is more aggressive.

Paycheck time, yep, something like that.

The cash flow in the banks, hundreds of thousands of Baht in brown envelopes, only, is amazing!

Traffic jams in Central car park yesterday.

Yesterday, traffic in Kamala was at an all time worst. They have a check-point set up in the middle of town for the seven days of safety, but it doesn’t seem to be doing any good. Watched 2 kid’s race past it on motorbikes last evening. BIB slept right through it.