Etac - Iron Buffalo Questions

Bluetongue

Have been using a family ute for carting our water tank and spray unit around. I thought it was deregistered but apparently not. Now they want me to kick in to make it suitable for driving someone else with their stuff to a business location. This is after I sprung for most of the new motor which would have kept it going for my and other's purposes as a farm vehicle, for years more. As at the very least its availability is now limited (for the moment until this business fails) we are considering options. I have no desire to buy another old car for various reasons. So I thought an Etac with a small trailer might be the go as a cheap viable option. It will never have to go more than a couple of ks, mostly less. Thought too the pump option might be a very good idea as next year I have to pump from 4 locations. But some questions. I'll also be taking copious advice from Nid, Nob, Noy, Nee and Nu

How easy to operate, should I get my nephew to show me how to use his before I go any further, I am usually a bit clutzy at first but competently operate machinery after that

How is it in the wet, like greasy slippery no traction type surfaces

Is it dangerous, easy to hurt oneself.

Any other tips

Iron buffalos, not for me, too much buggerising around and my arms arent long enough to get a decent turning circle. Getting out (or off) is fine to open the gate, but to turn a corner?

Not for me, but have a crack on the BIL's. Bit like riding a chopper where the handle bars are so long that both wheels are in front of you.

There are a couple of four wheel vehicles around here built from different vehicle chassis and fitted with farm diesel engines. Two that interested me:

A full pickup chassis base (even had a fibreglass Vigo like nose) but had a very long tray bed.

The other was some sort of small sedan chassis but was fitted with a generator as well as belt drives so the guy could run 220V pumps and equipment. He had a range of things mounted on the back. Hose reel and spray tank could be handy on that setup.

Both had steering wheels and foot brakes rather than flip flops, my sort of stuff. Rough but cheap!

Edited by IsaanAussie

The rot etan has been made quite civilized with an electric starter, headlights, taillights and sometimes even turn signals. The cost has also gone up but the ease of use is well worth the increased cost. If you can drive a pickup,you can drive a rot etan. A good chassis will cost you about 70,000 baht.

It is up to you which engine to use. Most use a 14 HP Kubota or Yanmar. You can get by with a 10 HP as long as you don't need 40 kph road speeds. If you avoid the Chinese knock off engines, they are bullet proof.

Depending on the load you want to carry and 2 wheeled tractor and trailer should be fine. We use ours for everything, move wood, rubber,water etc. You can fit a water pump to the front or a slasher. It can go anywhere and if you need added off road traction, just stick the iron rice paddy wheels on. Best most reliable thing I have bought here. Jim

• Like 1

Depending on the load you want to carry and 2 wheeled tractor and trailer should be fine. We use ours for everything, move wood, rubber,water etc. You can fit a water pump to the front or a slasher. It can go anywhere and if you need added off road traction, just stick the iron rice paddy wheels on. Best most reliable thing I have bought here. Jim

What's a slasher Jim? I am thinking grasscutter like the one I've got with a honda motor and a long belt, but I haven't seen an attachment for these things that makes me think "slasher".

What's a slasher Jim? I am thinking grasscutter like the one I've got with a honda motor and a long belt, but I haven't seen an attachment for these things that makes me think "slasher".

Slasher OZ term I guess, for you weed wacker, big grass cutter, same as goes behind a tractor, but open blades, take yor foot off if you stepped into one. Thais don't know what they are, you need to contact the tractor maker and order one. Thais don't know what a pick or long handle shovel is. Anyway lots of things can go on the front of a 2 wheeled tractor, they really are just a motor on wheels. Jim

Slasher OZ term I guess, for you weed wacker, big grass cutter, same as goes behind a tractor, but open blades, take yor foot off if you stepped into one. Thais don't know what they are, you need to contact the tractor maker and order one. Thais don't know what a pick or long handle shovel is. Anyway lots of things can go on the front of a 2 wheeled tractor, they really are just a motor on wheels. Jim

You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? of it attached? or not?

Speaking of shovels, the only shovel I have seen here is a short handled yellow spade. An absolute piece of crap. Rarely last me a day. I only use them for picking up dog shit now, so they are lasting longer.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? of it attached? or not?

Speaking of shovels, the only shovel I have seen here is a short handled yellow spade. An absolute piece of crap. Rarely last me a day. I only use them for picking up dog shit now, so they are lasting longer.

Sorry no pic of the slasher, in the topical Thai way no one had seen one before and they wouldn't use it. Ended up back at the shop exchanged for fertilizer. If you go to the bigger tractor dealers, they have a book with pictures of things you can attach. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the posts, sorry it took me so long to get back. I didn't know that the ETAN was actually the 4 wheeled vehicle, it sounds like Etac to me. Nevertheless I was interested in the 2 wheeled tractor and from what has been said it should be a wise purchase. What I am going to do now is price them at a few places and have a go at my nephews machine next time he brings it around.

Labour is becoming more of an issue here and "although I dont work" the more mechanised we can become means that hopefully less labour will be required. The ute really is a quite inefficient vehicle for spraying and in any case I still have my number one pickup for odd manual tasks as required.