Get Windows 8 Pro Key For Free From Microsoft

rakman

Even for free I would rather not have Win8 on my desktop PC, thanks.

What do you use?

Win7, 64bit. It works fine and I see no reason to change it, especially for an OS that has a GUI that was designed for touchscreens rather than mouse and keyboard.

I think that Win8 belongs on a tablet-like device and I cant imagine what MS were thinking of when they released it for desktop machines.

• Like 2

Even for free I would rather not have Win8 on my desktop PC, thanks.

What do you use?

Win7, 64bit. It works fine and I see no reason to change it, especially for an OS that has a GUI that was designed for touchscreens rather than mouse and keyboard.

I think that Win8 belongs on a tablet-like device and I cant imagine what MS were thinking of when they released it for desktop machines.

It's extremely simple to bypass the Win 8 UI and go straight to a standard desktop with a start button.

Once you've done that, it is a really good OS, although I wouldn't pay to upgrade from Windows 7.

• Like 1

As Chicog posted, easy to get past the tiled screen and I have a Programs link on my Task Bar.

For myself, Windows 8 runs faster than My previous Windows 7 64 bit, and of course faster than my Vista 32 bit.

I can see many people will not want to pay for an upgrade from Windows 7. As time goes by maybe there will be advantages.

MSPain

As Chicog posted, easy to get past the tiled screen and I have a Programs link on my Task Bar.

This is true but the Win8 GUI on a desktop PC still doesn't provide the same experience that Win7 does.

Quite why MS didn't include a "make my PC look exactly like it did in Win7" tickbox in Win8, I shall never know. If it had that I might upgrade to it, but never as it is.

This is true but the Win8 GUI on a desktop PC still doesn't provide the same experience that Win7 does.

That's true. It's not as pretty but it's much faster but how would you know that if you don't use it?

I have to get a copy and use it. I'm still in the US, work part time as indy tech support for some doctor, dentist and attorneys' offices. I get the business because I'm also certified with HIPAA (privacy law.) Those dang tablets are now everywhere and it seems every employee has one. I have to create accounts and apply permissions in Active Directory for them and then make sure it works.

Here's what I think it is. Microsoft has gotten its butt kicked in the smartphone and tablet market. They still rule in the server/client desktop and laptop market. I expect them to try to do whatever it takes to get some market share in those lost and ignored (so far) areas because those areas are exploding. Microsoft was flat out asleep at the wheel.

Even Google was forward looking enough to whip Microsoft with an Android OS, just using Linux for a base. NOW so many people know how to use Android that's it's going to be really hard if even possible for Microsoft to convince anyone to change. I think the Microsoft app will fly where it's needed with Server, but that's a small part of the real market out there.

I have several Microsoft certifications and daily get at least one new email with updated information, offers and what else. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered me ten copies of W8 for free if I'd promise to install them on machines. Seriously.

Who knows?

That's true. It's not as pretty but it's much faster but how would you know that if you don't use it?

Prettiness doesnt concern me but even with an "all programmes" link I find the Win8 Gui is very tedious to use with a keyboard and mouse, if you want to do more than one thing at a time.

Whilst I dont use Win8 on my machine I do manage several dozen machines here and there, and a couple of them have Win8 on them, so I do have (virtual) hands-on experience of it and I dont like the GUI at all.

My own machine, whilst several years old, has an SSD so speed isnt an issue for me but, as I said, Win8 really just needs a "make me look/work like Win7" tickbox to satisfy just about everyone, and I cant imagine why MS didnt put one in.

• Like 1

if it aint broke dont fix it..........

But Windows 8 is broken, for some that is thumbsup.gif

I think the quote was pertaining to Win7! Win8 is seriously fubar and it will need fixing before I will look again. Life's too short.

Perhaps they should release Win 8.1?

Edited by Digitalbanana