Great British Beers And Ciders

OldeBellPedr

As someone who, despite owning pubs, has 98% given up drinking, I feel a magnetic pull as I see cider bottles in Rimping.

I drool at the thought of a lovely cold cider, and may even like it mixed with soda, which I do with beer.

I would love to drink a wine glass full now and again. But as I'd feel wrong throwing away 3/4 of an (expensive) bottle each time, is there any way I could preserve it and it's fizz over a period of days?

Get a bigger wine glass?

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're making a good effort but you might want to spend some more time with your staff explaining some of the basic concepts to them. For starters, when someone orders a bottle one of those ales they should assume that you want a pint glass and when they go to get a glass they should not need to ask the customer "do you want ice?" That might sound unrealistic given that this is Thailand and those are the customs, but you're running a specialty place and selling expensive beers to people that will presumably appreciate them, not selling Leo at a Karaoke lounge.

Staffing is a huge problem at the moment - not just for us, but all round Chiang Mai which has a chronic labour shortage. At the moment we have one girl who has been with us a fortnight and my wife's aunt who is kind of helping out. I'll certainly have a word with them, but on the list of things I'd like them to do, that is fairly low down the priority list!!

I'll remind them that we're not selling Leo in a Karaoke lounge (thanks for giving me that line to smile about on a Sunday morning!) This being Thailand though, it surely can't irk that much to say "pint glass and no ice!! "

• Like 1

You're making a good effort but you might want to spend some more time with your staff explaining some of the basic concepts to them. For starters, when someone orders a bottle one of those ales they should assume that you want a pint glass and when they go to get a glass they should not need to ask the customer "do you want ice?" That might sound unrealistic given that this is Thailand and those are the customs, but you're running a specialty place and selling expensive beers to people that will presumably appreciate them, not selling Leo at a Karaoke lounge.

Staffing is a huge problem at the moment - not just for us, but all round Chiang Mai which has a chronic labour shortage. At the moment we have one girl who has been with us a fortnight and my wife's aunt who is kind of helping out. I'll certainly have a word with them, but on the list of things I'd like them to do, that is fairly low down the priority list!!

I'll remind them that we're not selling Leo in a Karaoke lounge (thanks for giving me that line to smile about on a Sunday morning!) This being Thailand though, it surely can't irk that much to say "pint glass and no ice!! "

Not sure about that. Surprising the number of poster's living here and complaining because it is not like back home.

For sure hard to get permanent help in your industry. On top of that you get a clientele that is fussy about the way it is presented to them.

Maybe when the new minimum wage comes into effect there will be more unemployable available for work, But not sure how many of them will be willing to be trained.

Not sure about that. Surprising the number of poster's living here and complaining because it is not like back home.

For sure hard to get permanent help in your industry. On top of that you get a clientele that is fussy about the way it is presented to them.

Maybe when the new minimum wage comes into effect there will be more unemployable available for work, But not sure how many of them will be willing to be trained.

I sincerely hope you are right, Dolly, but as we are already paying the minimum wage and I guess most other places are too if they hope to retain staff, I wonder. The best case scenario is that some of the guys sitting out there in the boonies not bothering to work because of low wages will now consider it worthwhile to seek employment. Lets hope so!

Pedr, I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but you're a bit too quick to throw your staff under the bus and you always have been. You own the place, the buck stops with you. Proprietors at other pubs somehow manage to train their staff.

Could you let us know the prices?

For most of them it's 215 baht for a 500ml bottle.

Or 185 baht at The Pub on Huai Kaeo Rd.

Anywhere selling retail?

You can buy cases from the distributor. If you're a big enough alcoholic and have cash they will deliver to your house

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

Pedr, I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but you're a bit too quick to throw your staff under the bus and you always have been. You own the place, the buck stops with you. Proprietors at other pubs somehow manage to train their staff.

I don't think anything I said amounts to 'throwing my staff under a bus' and frankly I can't see what kind of buck stops with me in this case. Many of my customers like their cider over ice nowadays and as the bottles look similar to the real ale bottles and the staff don't drink either, I think it is very sensible of them to ask how customers would like their drinks served.

• Like 1

My local (all of 45 seconds away on my pushbike) here in Udon has Old Speckled Hen on draft which is very dangerous. I could walk there but the soi dogs in the lane behind the temple are even more dangerous.

I 'discovered' Old Golden Hen on my last UK visit, about 1.69 at Morrisons. I brought back half a dozen bottles and saving them for special occasions. The wife just rang and said MIL won't be coming for Loy Krathong after all so I reckon tonight is 'special'.

• Like 1

My local (all of 45 seconds away on my pushbike) here in Udon has Old Speckled Hen on draft which is very dangerous. I could walk there but the soi dogs in the lane behind the temple are even more dangerous.

I 'discovered' Old Golden Hen on my last UK visit, about 1.69 at Morrisons. I brought back half a dozen bottles and saving them for special occasions. The wife just rang and said MIL won't be coming for Loy Krathong after all so I reckon tonight is 'special'.

You were done, mate. 4 for a fiver at Tesco on my last visit thumbsup.gif

Daret guest house at thapae gate. 55B for large chang

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Chang? Winner of how many CAMRA awards?

The whole point of trying to obtain these real ales is to give people a quality alternative to Chang and the like. Of course most of us will still sup Chang or Leo on an everyday basis, but its nice, as Nanlaew says to have a few 'special occasion' beers. As usual the knockers and detractors are out in force on this thread, but if enough people buy these beers, the importer will keep Importing them - hopefully! At the moment we have run out of several of the beers on my list above. No security of supply as yet. We've still got Morland's Old Golden Hen, Belhaven 80/-, Fuller's London Pride and London Porter and Morland's Old Crafty Hen. As soon as more are imported, we'll stock up again! Do join us, or my good friend Graeme at The Pub, if you enjoy real ale.

still sup Chang or Leo on an everyday basis

Can I ask why you drink the rubbish they have the gall to call it beer, even on an everyday basis ? Personally I will stick to London Pride, at least it tastes like beer.

Morland's Old Golden/Crafty, or any other name you can think of, I have to admit does not taste quite the same as when it was brewed in Abingdon - but still a million times better than the local swill

Can I ask why you drink the rubbish they have the gall to call it beer, even on an everyday basis ? Personally I will stick to London Pride, at least it tastes like beer.

Morland's Old Golden/Crafty, or any other name you can think of, I have to admit does not taste quite the same as when it was brewed in Abingdon - but still a million times better than the local swill

We drinks it for the buzz, actually with spicy local food it is only half bad. Since there are no Oregon microbrewed ales available some Brit brews are an acceptable subsitiute when the budget allows.

Was wandering past this afternoon and thought cider would be nice, so went in. 245 Baht a bottle!

I enjoyed the cider, though cringing at the price, then the barmaid gives me the old "you have Thai girlfriend........?" shit!

Have eaten Sunday lunch there before, it seems to be authentic and very average British pub grub. i.e. not very good.

Seems like a place for sad expats that can't really get it together.

Daret guest house at thapae gate. 55B for large chang

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Chang? Winner of how many CAMRA awards?

The whole point of trying to obtain these real ales is to give people a quality alternative to Chang and the like. Of course most of us will still sup Chang or Leo on an everyday basis, but its nice, as Nanlaew says to have a few 'special occasion' beers. As usual the knockers and detractors are out in force on this thread, but if enough people buy these beers, the importer will keep Importing them - hopefully! At the moment we have run out of several of the beers on my list above. No security of supply as yet. We've still got Morland's Old Golden Hen, Belhaven 80/-, Fuller's London Pride and London Porter and Morland's Old Crafty Hen. As soon as more are imported, we'll stock up again! Do join us, or my good friend Graeme at The Pub, if you enjoy real ale.

80 shilling!!! Old Golden Hen!!! I am beginning to pay attention now.... Chiang Mai forum is it?

Bugger! The AirAsia flights from Udon are sold out!!!

Was wandering past this afternoon and thought cider would be nice, so went in. 245 Baht a bottle!

I enjoyed the cider, though cringing at the price, then the barmaid gives me the old "you have Thai girlfriend........?" shit!

Have eaten Sunday lunch there before, it seems to be authentic and very average British pub grub. i.e. not very good.

Talk to us again when you're much older and in a position to be a retired expat living here, it'll be interesting to see how you have changed.

• Like 1

I drink it my friend, because it's cheap and for no other reason! Believe me if I could afford to drink decent ale regularly, I would!

I take some crumbs of comfort from your use of the word 'authentic'!

We have a mixture of customers; expats and tourists and we do tend to appeal to the over 40's which suits us fine! I can assure you that most of our customers are not all sad, and lead happy and fulfilling lives here in Chiang Mai. They join us for a pie and a pint in the midst of their hectic schedules. I wish you luck in 'getting it together' at some more convivial hostelry!

• Like 1

We drinks it for the buzz, actually with spicy local food it is only half bad. Since there are no Oregon microbrewed ales available some Brit brews are an acceptable subsitiute when the budget allows.

Agree, the local beer is quite good with the local spicy food. Regarding my Oregon comment, I only meant that you don't have to be a Brit to really enjoy or obsess over a brew. I quite liked Kilkenny, but it has been ages since I've had one. Draught, too.. How much? I may have to talk someone into it...

Agree, the local beer is quite good with the local spicy food. Regarding my Oregon comment, I only meant that you don't have to be a Brit to really enjoy or obsess over a brew. I quite liked Kilkenny, but it has been ages since I've had one. Draught, too.. How much? I may have to talk someone into it...

Kilkeny (they killed Kenny , the .............) is ok but doesn't stand a chance against an IPA made with Willamet valley hops. Oregon is quickly becoming the brewing capital of the world.