Thai Police Fire Tear Gas At Political Protest

webfact

Looks like there are actually more Police than Actual protesters.

Very few grassroot protesters, if any. Of the many government opponents that I talked with, nobody planned to go there either because they don't agree with the extremist agenda of the organizers or they didn't want to be involved in the street fights that are foretold.

Most of the protesters are "professionals" who are there to create trouble in order to justify (they hope, they dream ...) an army intervention. As far as the organizers are concerned, the worst it gets, the most successful the protest will be. No wonder that the average Thais decided to stay away from this meeting.

Professional protestors? The PM and his sister must be angry that someone stole their idea. Average Thais tried to stay away from the 2010 protests, but they kept holding parades and bringing it to their doorsteps.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just heard that 120 have been arrested at Makassan bridge?! and the police say some were armed with guns and knives.

I don't know if this has yet been reported here.

So it seems their intentions were to seize the bridge?

Peaceful demonstration I think NOT.

Where did you get this info from. Nothing being reported in Thai news. Doesn't mean it isn't true. Just want to tap your source if possible.

Exactly.... except it shouldn't be "if possible", it should be expected and required if it is to remain.

To this point there has been no confirmation of protesters being armed with guns and the police have not said that they were armed with guns (again, to this point in the thread).

"I've just heard", while not a totally invalid source, could be improved with at least saying who it was from and what their source of the information was.

Lots of unverified "news" being dispensed is of no benefit to the forum.

Edited by Buchholz

Anybody who breaks the law should be punished right? So stop whining over 2010.

Here, we see water cannons, sound guns and tear gas. These are tools for crowd control.

In 2010, we saw M16s and shotguns.

Problem is that we didn't see tools for crowd control in 2010 because the police was not there when their red buddies terrorized downtown Bangkok.

Yes we saw M16s, RPGs, shotguns etc being used by the reds.

Get your facts right!

Oh, I forgot. The reds shot themselves with the help of the mysterious dark figures.

I don't know how much time you spent at Ratchaprasong. But, during my visits to the 2010 protest site, I only saw the army with M16s, shotguns and 00 Buck. I guess the mysterious dark figures were still lurking in the dark!

The previous administration sent the army to do police work. The only have tools, and are trained, to kill and destroy, not control.

• Like 2

Thaksin's sister Yingluck is now prime minister after his political allies won a landslide election victory last year.

Why doesn't the royalist group work towards getting elected legally instead of trying to use the military to stifle yet another democratically elected government.

My thoughts exactly.

The Yellows have not been able to get a majority government elected by the people and the Reds with both Taksin and Yingluck have had governments elected by the people.

Many of you on this site may not like this government but you have to accept it as it is the choice of the people.

That is what Democracy is all about !!!

No democracy is not about vote buying and stifling alternative opinions. Please don't portray the current situation in Thailand as a model of democracy.

Anybody who breaks the law should be punished right? So stop whining over 2010.

Here, we see water cannons, sound guns and tear gas. These are tools for crowd control.

In 2010, we saw M16s and shotguns.

Problem is that we didn't see tools for crowd control in 2010 because the police was not there when their red buddies terrorized downtown Bangkok.

Yes we saw M16s, RPGs, shotguns etc being used by the reds.

Get your facts right!

Oh, I forgot. The reds shot themselves with the help of the mysterious dark figures.

I don't know how much time you spent at Ratchaprasong. But, during my visits to the 2010 protest site, I only saw the army with M16s, shotguns and 00 Buck. I guess the mysterious dark figures were still lurking in the dark!

The previous administration sent the army to do police work. The only have tools, and are trained, to kill and destroy, not control.

Correct, send the army to do the police work because the police didn't work. Thank you.

Somebody must have killed those 20 or so officilas in 2010 right?

I was at Ratchaprasong in 2010, everyday. My appartment is there (not just a visit).

• Like 2

The problem with instigating violence is it always attracts those who want a fight. As the old saying goes, if you go looking for trouble, trouble will find you. Looks like the police have orders to start trouble

looks like Pitak Siam have orders to start trouble taking down barricades and trying to drive in no go area.

what indicates that? For me it looks like the police blocks the demonstration side and they wanted to go inside, but I am not there so I can't tell what really happened.....but the government caused the first injured civilians....

Huh.

Democrats = Corrupt government

PTP = Corrupt government.

This is all about who's turn it is to get their snouts in the trough.

"The people get the government they deserve".

Keep them stupid, keep the poor then throw them a few bath for some Loa Khao now and then and they're all yours.

look at the farang protester.

where?

Farang protester. Just check which deluded pro yellow shirt forum member is not posting today. That will be him

And now back to normal. Having some problems controlling your emotions? Control yourself. wai2.gif In another post you said that out of control thugs should be shot... uhh..

Edited by Scott

Pitak Siam leader to decide in three hours whether to continue rally

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Pitak Siam leader Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit said he would wait three more hours before evaluating the situation whether to continue the rally following a scuffle between police and protesters.

He urged more people to join the rally and he would ask the demonstrators in three hours whether the protest should continue.

He claimed that he learned that police would suppress the protesters at noon and he called on troops to come out to protect the demonstrators.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 24

10.000 ? a bit short of the million he promised yes? Called on troops to protect the demonstrators?

They drove a truck into the police lines seriously injuring several of them! I think the police response in any other country would have been much stronger then a few canisters of tear gas.

This rally is just to provoke violence and ultimately a military coup - we all know where Boonlert gets his orders from!

The instructions from the authorities where clear - you can exercise your right to demonstrate peacefully and in certain areas - you break the rules - you will be held responsible.

Moving the demonstration away from the designated site and using violence against the authorities is against the law in any country.

The police should now contact the rally organizer and tell him either you get your demonstrators under control or you stop the rally - if not - we break it up!

Not different from any other country.

• Like 1

She is PM. She won. Everyone needs to get over that and move on.

You can go down to the protest site and tell everyone that, but the problem might be that they will accuse you in 2010 of having said something quite different with regards Abhisit.

Who cares about 2010. This is 2012. I don't care who is in power. I just think whoever was elected should be power and these childish protest every two years to overthrow government is a bad idea that needs to stop before it gets really messy. If Yingluck get removed, I would imagine the next red shirt rally will be dousey. Also, saying PM needs to be killed from stage us an act of high treason and raises national security concerns. They crossed the line.

Keep them stupid, keep the poor then throw them a few bath for some Loa Khao now and then and they're all yours.

Pretty much sums it up as the philosophy for both sides.

Watching TV posters get "vehement", "passionate" and getting hysterical in their support or condemnation of one side or the other. it makes me LMFAO.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

I've just heard that 120 have been arrested at Makassan bridge?! and the police say some were armed with guns and knives.

I don't know if this has yet been reported here.

So it seems their intentions were to seize the bridge?

Peaceful demonstration I think NOT.

well the police says they were armed....

That does not mean anything....neither that they were armed not that they were not armed.

Bullets found

< Un-sourced, un-linked photo deleted >

I realize you're supposed to be new here, but for the benefit of all forum readers, if you're going to post photos, please provide a source and a link that it was obtained from.

I have only caught up to the thread to this point and whether or not it has since been confirmed by a news source, but irrespective of whether it is or not verified later, the point is that it hasn't of yet.

Photos of anything you want are available on the internet. To differentiate between something made up and something factual, that's why source and links to purported news is essential.

Thank you and anyone else wishing to provide information for the thread to comply with this basic netiquette.

It will avoid a lot of unnecessary posts disputing the authenticity or requests for links.

wai.gif

So it's a screen grab

You'll be able to see it in your copy of the nation tomorrow.

The police found bullets.

The police found out of date tear gas canisters

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Pitak Siam leader Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit said he would wait three more hours before evaluating the situation whether to continue the rally following a scuffle between police and protesters.

He urged more people to join the rally and he would ask the demonstrators in three hours whether the protest should continue.

He claimed that he learned that police would suppress the protesters at noon and he called on troops to come out to protect the demonstrators.

nationlogo.jpg

10.000 ? a bit short of the million he promised yes? Called on troops to protect the demonstrators?

They drove a truck into the police lines seriously injuring several of them! I think the police response in any other country would have been much stronger then a few canisters of tear gas.

This rally is just to provoke violence and ultimately a military coup - we all know where Boonlert gets his orders from!

The instructions from the authorities where clear - you can exercise your right to demonstrate peacefully and in certain areas - you break the rules - you will be held responsible.

Moving the demonstration away from the designated site and using violence against the authorities is against the law in any country.

The police should now contact the rally organizer and tell him either you get your demonstrators under control or you stop the rally - if not - we break it up!

Have you actually seen pictures of ANY seriously injured police officers ... because i haven't.

I have seen protesters injured and some police suffering from tear gas ..... but that's it.

Pretty much sums it up as the philosophy for both sides.

Watching TV posters get "vehement", "passionate" and partisan about all this makes me LMFAO.

It is the philosophy in any third world country, and Thailand today proves once again that they still are a third world country.

well the police says they were armed....

That does not mean anything....neither that they were armed not that they were not armed.

Bullets found

< Un-sourced, un-linked photo deleted >

I realize you're supposed to be new here, but for the benefit of all forum readers, if you're going to post photos, please provide a source and a link that it was obtained from.

I have only caught up to the thread to this point and whether or not it has since been confirmed by a news source, but irrespective of whether it is or not verified later, the point is that it hasn't of yet.

Photos of anything you want are available on the internet. To differentiate between something made up and something factual, that's why source and links to purported news is essential.

Thank you and anyone else wishing to provide information for the thread to comply with this basic netiquette.

It will avoid a lot of unnecessary posts disputing the authenticity or requests for links.

wai.gif

So it's a screen grab

You'll be able to see it in your copy of the nation tomorrow.

The police found bullets.

The police found out of date tear gas canisters

Hidden evidence from 2010 maybe? Suddenly the police finds things..

wai.gif

I don't agree.What you describe as basic netiquette is the practice you personally happen to prefer, but there is no one size fits all rule.Sometimes links are helpful.Sometimes they are not.A link or a photo is no guarantee of truth and in any case can be misleading.Sometimes there is no available link and sometimes a link is not permitted under forum rules or very occasionally under the laws of Thailand.Sometimes the link source is worthless as for example anything connected with the bizarre anti globalist community.You have often objected to bloggers being referenced ,not a problem I have since most well informed people now regard this source as relevant to newsgathering as more mainstream journalism.In a more general sense it is in the nature of a forum like this that while sometimes providing information is incapable of providing all of it, and is of course entirely subjective.What makes this forum interesting in my view is when there is intelligent discussion with give and take, not always what we achieve but what we aspire to.

A small but good example of what I refer to is a photograph of a protestor today lobbing a tear gas cannister.This photo can be clearly identified and linked to a news source, yet it is impossible to tell whether the cannister is being thrown or just thrown back again.

I tend to ignore rquests for links, all too often the call sign of obsessive cyberwarriors who are not usually interested in having a discussion - just megaphoning in their (usualy reactionary) views.However based on the seriousness of the enquiry I often send links by pm when requested.However I would not be so arrogant to start lecturing members on netiquette.

actually about the gas canister photo.. you can normally tell by how much gas is coming out.. a lot shows the canister has been brewing a little shows it has just started. Where is this picture. can you PM me ..thanks

Looks like there are actually more Police than Actual protesters.

Very few grassroot protesters, if any. Of the many government opponents that I talked with, nobody planned to go there either because they don't agree with the extremist agenda of the organizers or they didn't want to be involved in the street fights that are foretold.

Most of the protesters are "professionals" who are there to create trouble in order to justify (they hope, they dream ...) an army intervention. As far as the organizers are concerned, the worst it gets, the most successful the protest will be. No wonder that the average Thais decided to stay away from this meeting.

Someone actually gets it. The leader of the Pitak Siam, General Boonlert Kaewprasert, has been a believer in the coup for 40 years. I think the thrill of the coup is what drives him, politics be damned!

The Nation re: General Boonlert Kaewprasert

As much as many hate the current administration, one might be wise to be careful with whom the hitch their horses.

yes, and if the break go out of control and 90 people died - what then? Then Yingluck go with Abhisit do ICC, Den Haag?

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

Have you actually seen pictures of ANY seriously injured police officers ... because i haven't.

I have seen protesters injured and some police suffering from tear gas ..... but that's it.

if you would have proper news sources - and an open mind - you would have the information by now. I am watching protesters on CCTV breaking through police lines cutting through barbed wire - coming very well prepaired with wire-cutters - obviously provoking police into action. I read eyewitness reports life from the protest area - police being threatened to remove baricades or they will be "removed" by protesters. But you probably get your news from "The Nation"

Thaksin's sister Yingluck is now prime minister after his political allies won a landslide election victory last year.

Why doesn't the royalist group work towards getting elected legally instead of trying to use the military to stifle yet another democratically elected government.

My thoughts exactly.

The Yellows have not been able to get a majority government elected by the people and the Reds with both Taksin and Yingluck have had governments elected by the people.

Many of you on this site may not like this government but you have to accept it as it is the choice of the people.

That is what Democracy is all about !!!

No democracy is not about vote buying and stifling alternative opinions. Please don't portray the current situation in Thailand as a model of democracy.

That is the point!

Of course, Thailand is NOT a model of democracy and no one, with 3 working braincells says that!

But the fact remains, that THIS is the system in which these elections are held and the playingfield is equally level on both sides.

And in the last 4 elections, the Thaksin- party under various names won.

And that is it!

Is Thailand a democracy? No!

Has there been vote buying and corruption?

Yes!

Is that the point

No!

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

if you would have proper news sources - and an open mind - you would have the information by now. I am watching protesters on CCTV breaking through police lines cutting through barbed wire - coming very well prepaired with wire-cutters - obviously provoking police into action. I read eyewitness reports life from the protest area - police being threatened to remove baricades or they will be "removed" by protesters. But you probably get your news from "The Nation"

so the answer is ...NO.

I have been watching the news on multiple channels and no pictures or videos of seriously injured police.. please provide if i have missed them.

Based on videos showing protestors as aggressors, firing tear gas into the police and the death threat to Yungluck, this should be treated as a national security issue warranting use of force. Bad situation and I think police showed great restraint. Their conduct makes the current government appear as the reasonable ones.

That is your point of view it looked like it was the police who fired first and most often.

Ask your self two questions

1 Who brings barbed wire to a peaceful demonstration and

2 Who brought the barbed wire?

Based on videos showing protestors as aggressors, firing tear gas into the police and the death threat to Yungluck, this should be treated as a national security issue warranting use of force. Bad situation and I think police showed great restraint. Their conduct makes the current government appear as the reasonable ones.

That is your point of view it looked like it was the police who fired first and most often.

Ask your self two questions

1 Who brings barbed wire to a peaceful demonstration and

2 Who brought the barbed wire?

Add another. who releases CCTV footage?