Extention Of Stay Based On Retirement. No Bank Account.

Over the years I've lost a lot of money through bad investments and I've often jokingly said that I'd have been better off keeping my money under my mattress. Which led me to thinking, what if I didn't have a bank account in Thailand and wished to apply for an extention of stay based on retirement using the 'combo' method.

Say I had an income in my home country equivalent to 500,000 baht and had a letter from my Embassy proving this. I would then need to show 300,000 baht to make it up to the 800,000 baht required. Is there any reason that I couldn't plonk 300,000 baht in cash on the counter at Immigration instead of showing a bank pass book and a letter from the bank?

Has this ever been tried?

For retirement extension the money has to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months before first application ( 3 months subsequent).

'Plonking money on the counter' does not satisfy.

If you have 300,000 in the hand you could open an account and use that.

edit.. to remove mention of seasoning for combo method.

Edited by ThaidDown

For retirement extension the money has to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months before first application ( 3 months subsequent).

For the combo method as described in the OP, there is NO money seasoning required at all. That is only for the pure (800K bank account method). In either case for extensions, the money must be in a THAI bank account.

For the combo method as described in the OP, there is NO money seasoning required at all. That is only for the pure (800K bank account method). In either case for extensions, the money must be in a THAI bank account.

Yes, I know thats why I edited 5 mins after I posted to correct. Odd you got a copy of the original post 4 hours later. Note to me, re-read post before posting, and you're right I still forgot to add 'Thai' to bank account.

So are you saying that the OP will satisfy immigration with embassy notarised proof of 500,000 baht equivalent that is NOT in Thailand AND 300,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account that can be deposited ANY TIME prior to applying?

I was aware that if using the 800k in Thai bank account method, that it must be seasoned 2 months prior to application but I wasn't aware that it must remain in the account for 3 months AFTER the FIRST retirement extension application.

Edited by NanLaew

2 months first application. 3 months future applications.

Once accepted you can dip into it.

When using a combination of income and savings there is no requirement for the savings to be there for any set period of time.

One or two Immigration office do not know this though.

So are you saying that the OP will satisfy immigration with embassy notarised proof of 500,000 baht equivalent that is NOT in Thailand AND 300,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account that can be deposited ANY TIME prior to applying?

Money must be in the bank in Thailand. Income can be from abroad, in which case it is certified by your embassy.