Thai Gf First Visit To Uk, Lots Of Questions.

Like I and others have said, first start with a two week visit, see if she likes the place, then go for a longer time.

If she applies for a 2 week stay now, and the Immigration officer at Heathrow (or wherever she flies into) asks her how long she will stay and she says five months, he/she can call up her application in front of him and then he/she could, believing that your GF is trying somehow to get around the correct rules and has also lied on her application, then refuse entry. (this might never happen, but it could).

This would also not look good for future applications, and could jeopardize your relationship as you might have to do the traveling to see each other in the future.

This won't sit too well with the lie police but if they had chosen to get round their visa problem in that manor why would she tell the immigration officer at heathrow she was staying for 5 months? she would just say 2 weeks and be on her way surely. They only give you an entrance stamp they don't stamp how many days you ask for. We do agree though, a 2 week application is best no matter which way you choose to go with it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people are asked them sometimes say the wrong things. My MIL was asked at Heathrow how many days she was staying in the UK for, she could not answer the officer, so I did, he looked at the screen and also after matching her prints stamped her in.

ironically the biggest grilling I ever had at immigration in England was when I went back with my Japanese wife, the fact that she earned 3 times more than me, had property and had studied in England for 2 years before seemed to make little difference. I guess if you run into someone on the day who wants to be a pain they can to a degree.

Hi, lot of good advice here to be listened to. Also the usual ranting from the hurt and burnt and a few " you said, he said" arguments starting which do not help.

For me and the visa for mt wife,

Holiday thailand with the boys, me 27 years old at the time, wife 21 years old.

June 2000 - met wife she was dancing on a table in a bar on beach road 2

Stayed extra 10 days loved it, her the food and all the usually.

Returned September 2000, asked her to return home and I would support her to enable to see if she was happy away from her friends she had made at work. She did return home to Buriram.

Returned November 2000 discussed and got married

Returned January 2001 applied for visa, spouse visa, got it first time -

The officer taking the interview called me in half way through to tell,me thatntherebwas no reasons she could see the visa would not be granted, but and a big BUT which might be important, she expected my wife to explain how and where we had met, she told me and a translator explained to my wife that she understood Thailand and why many people have to do what they do but she wanted to hear the truth and not that we met on a beach via a friend !!!

That said and cutting lots out, 12 years on we are still married and live in the UK, one child who is 11 years old. Not always easy but out of all my friends most married English girls and probably 50% are divorced or not happy.

The visa application will be simple and I suggest you go ahead, also with one more big BUT

Discuss what the family will expect as a sin sod or fee to take their lovely daughter away, do not pay any attention to the few on here that tell you not to pay or she is bad to expect it. Please expect it and respect it all part of it but have an open mind to what it could cost. Saying that she might be rich and pay herself or her family might just not need the money.

Good luck

• Like 1

Interesting history lesson there Blackandwhite, I'm really glad things worked out for you.

But the world has moved on in the decade or so when your wife was granted her visa, applicants are no longer interviewed and the decision is made on the evidence submitted with the application, that's why it vitally important to get it right.

I personally haven't seen any rants on this thread, and whilst there have been a couple of differences of opinion, I thought that posters have been very supportive to the OP and have offered very good advice.

What am I waiting for? I wish to guage general opinion from people that tried to get long visa, did they generally suceed or fail? Especially given her background and lack of employment, will the UKBA really believe she'll return.

With no job, no property and no kids in Thailand, it will be unlikely she gets a visitor VISA.

Affiance VISA is more a possibility as she doesn't need to show she will return to Thailand.

Or even easier, marry her in Thailand and apply to take her to the UK.

well garryuk you want to take your gf.back to the uk,rain,snow,ice,more rain and she gets the chance to meet some other thai's some good,some bad,my mrs.spent 20yrs there and never regreted one moment,made loads of freinds non thai and was well respected.so get the jacket,boots,wellies and jumpers and go for it.why wait.good luck.you didnt say what part of the uk your from.

• Like 1

You have been open and honest about how you met your girlfriend, that is to be admired, there have been some good answers to your question without posters taking the mickey and criticising you, that is good.

There has been some very good words of advice here, including take a step back, go for it and as Saudi Sid has advised "you only live once, so live it wisely".

You seem to have made your mind up, so I will attempt to give you some food for thought, it's up to you what you decide to do.

You met your girlfriend on the rebound and she was working as a prostitute on Beach Road, nothing wrong with being a prostitute, prostitutes are real people and have to earn money to survive like everybody else, was this her only source of funds or was she doing doing it to supplement her income?

You say that she talks to you via a video link when she could be out working, does that mean she has given up this job, if so how does she live?

OK, you now want to help her apply for a visa to visit you in the UK, nothing wrong with that, it's not unreasonable that a couple in a long distance relationship would want to visit each others countries to get to know each other better and to get an understanding of the respective countries, you have visited her in Thailand, once, and now it's time to reciprocate.

So lets talk about the visa application, I assume you have read the advice that 7by7 has given in his link, if not I would strongly advise you to do so.

The application process is pretty straight forward, the applicant, your girlfriend, has to convince the ECO, Entry Clearance Officer who is the person who considers the application, that the visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant will return home, or at least leave the UK at the conclusion of the visit.

So put yourself in the shoes of the ECO, your girlfriend wants to visit the UK for five months, that's one heck of a holiday and will ring alarm bells as they will know that very few people are able to take that sort of holiday, the ECO will be looking deeper at the application. She plans to visit you in April, by which time you will have known each other for six months. You are working, so what would she do with herself all day? I don't expect that you intend to take five months off work, remember a visit visa is designed for use by tourists.

You are going to sponsor her I assume, so you will need to provide evidence that you can afford to do so, from what you have said I don't believe that will be a problem. You will need to say why you are sponsoring her, and this is where you provide evidence of your relationship.

As others have alluded to the biggest problem your girlfriend will face is the reason to return, the ECO will see a young woman of working age wanting to go and visit her boyfriend she has known for six months for an extended holiday. If she does work, they will know that few, if any, employers will give their staff a five month holiday. If she doesn't work they will want to know how she supports herself, and what she has to come back to.

Anyway I have just given you some food for thought, you have come to the right place for advice, feel free to come back if you need any specific advice, which I'm sure will be forthcoming.

Good luck to you both.

the only thing wrong with being a prostitute is its illegal, apart from that its all right i guess. How can you say theres nothing wrong with it when its illegal in the country where she is doing it.
  • Like 1

My first experience with a a visit was a 6 month tourist granted, immigration at the airport said she could extend that at Croydon UKBA for a further 3 months which she did.Proof you can provide for her when there, some where to stay. Most importantly i found was proof of a relationship as in e mails telephone bills etc,, video calls will not show that. A letter from an employer granting her holiday would be good but difficult as the boss of the coconut bar is an illusive fellow, no family ties so no reason to return for them, no present work. Could be a trickey one but i would say get as much proof of a relationship as you can.

1 other thing dont beleive a word she says about giving up unless you have a landline number to call her on in the village, 1am most free lancers have done there business afternoon and early evening in my experience.

You must be aware in the pecking order as hookers go beach road girls are at the bottom, anything, anytime, bargain basement but it's your life and your minds is made up so you make your bed you lie in it. There really are many many non prostitute ladies available who have good jobs, great education (for Thailand), be carefull not to jump in both feet first, remember its her job to make you do what you are doing.

take the advice of 7x7 and Mario as they do know there stuff.

the only thing wrong with being a prostitute is its illegal, apart from that its all right i guess. How can you say theres nothing wrong with it when its illegal in the country where she is doing it.

I think you need to stop trying to score points, this thread is not about the legalities of prostitution.

Their working patterns and pecking order, of which I'm not an expert, having nothing to do with this thread.

What am I waiting for? I wish to guage general opinion from people that tried to get long visa, did they generally suceed or fail? Especially given her background and lack of employment, will the UKBA really believe she'll return.

With no job, no property and no kids in Thailand, it will be unlikely she gets a visitor VISA.

Affiance VISA is more a possibility as she doesn't need to show she will return to Thailand.

Or even easier, marry her in Thailand and apply to take her to the UK.

Difficult, but not impossible or even unlikely.

As I say in UK Visit Visa Basics; even if there is no 'concrete' reason to return, many people have obtained a UK visit visa based upon the strength of their relationship with their sponsor. If the ECO believes the relationship to be genuine then they will also believe that the applicant would not want to jeopardise future applications, such as settlement, by overstaying or otherwise breaching the conditions of a visit visa.

The key is in preparing a good application, with lots of evidence of contact, to show that this is so. You, GarryUK, should write a supporting letter outlining the history of the relationship, the reason for the visit at this time and any plans you and she have for the future.

I would definitely advise against applying for a fiance visa or marrying her in Thailand and applying for a spouse visa as these may be easier to get than a visit visa. Only marry her, or apply for a fiance visa, if you are both certain that marriage is what you both want and you both intend to spend the rest of your lives together.

Prostitution is not actually illegal in the UK; though running a brothel is.

The ECO's are not too concerned about an applicant's past nor whether or not she met her sponsor 'professionally.' Their only concern in this regard is whether or not her real reason for traveling to the UK is so she can continue in that profession there.

Again, the key is preparing a good application to show that the relationship between applicant and sponsor is genuine, she will not work in any capacity while in the UK and she will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, after the visit.

My first experience with a a visit was a 6 month tourist granted, immigration at the airport said she could extend that at Croydon UKBA for a further 3 months which she did.

Extending a visit visa beyond 6 months is no longer simple. It can still be done, but only in exceptional circumstances.

Edited for typos.

Edited by 7by7

I think you need to stop trying to score points, this thread is not about the legalities of prostitution.

Their working patterns and pecking order, of which I'm not an expert, having nothing to do with this thread.

I dont agree - I think my mucker, Marston, was trying to point out the varying levels of desperation that prostitutes face. And, in turn, assisting the OP in considering the whole situation.

Edited by Saudi Sid

Interesting history lesson there Blackandwhite, I'm really glad things worked out for you.

But the world has moved on in the decade or so when your wife was granted her visa, applicants are no longer interviewed and the decision is made on the evidence submitted with the application, that's why it vitally important to get it right.

I personally haven't seen any rants on this thread, and whilst there have been a couple of differences of opinion, I thought that posters have been very supportive to the OP and have offered very good advice.

Not directed at anyone in particular but as often posts gone completely off topic

Some of the opinions here are becoming very offensive and aggressive and most of these are very off topic. Moderators - this is becoming to regular on here. If opinions are not on topic they should be removed immediately and warning should be given to those not following the rules of the forum, the forum is for on topic support and if asked opinions on certain topics.

• Like 2

I have removed a number of off topic posts, please don't flood the forum nonsensical posts.

This is the last warning, if you have nothing consructive to say, keep away.

Thanks, I didn't see them but thought a couple yesterday were going off topic and wondered if I could remove them myself to keep the thread on track.

Happy to see so many supportive responses. I was going to reply to the post about Beach Road girls being the bottom of the barrel and discuss the pros and cons of freelancer vs bar girl or gogo in Pattaya, but it'll just lead away from the original questions which were:

1. How will I prove how often we talk (3-5 hours per night EVERY night) when we use Facebook video so there are no logs.

2. Will her lack of employment cause issues when looking at reasons to return to Thailand.

On number 1 I think I'll start a new thread regarding best ways to communicate that's traceable. Does anyone use any of the 1p a minute calls, is Skype any better as I've seen people talk about Skype logs and it does show call start and stop/duration whereas Facebook video only shows call, not duration (no answers here please, but happy to receive PM's if that facility exists on here or look for my post in the next few days).

And on number 2 it's just been agreed that on return to her village home she'll take care of her sister-in-law's 2 month old baby as well as help her mum while waiting for me. Not exactly returning to her previous paid job in a supermarket but at least she's working and has ties to her family. I will be sponsering her but I guess that has already been assumed.

1.Does your girlfriend have a Thai Passport

2.Apply to the British Embassy for an appointment for a UK Tourist Visa.(valid 90 days)

3.Wait + see how she adapts to the weather,culture ,your life in the Uk

4.Then book well in advance for a Fiancee Visa to marry in the Uk

Good Luck

Like I and others have said, first start with a two week visit, see if she likes the place, then go for a longer time.

The problem comes down to money, after 3 trips to Thailand (December cost me more for the flight alone than it cost with the hotel in October), I simply can't afford to bring her over more than once, so I want her here as long as possible so that a) we're not apart for too long, B) she has time to meet my family and try to make friends, after all if she moves here when we're married she'll be stuck at home while I'm at work just the same, and c) the longer she's here the more she'll experience the culture and particularly the weather. Everyone likes somewhere after 2 weeks on holiday, but after 5 months? She'll know for sure if she can live here.

1.Does your girlfriend have a Thai Passport

2.Apply to the British Embassy for an appointment for a UK Tourist Visa.(valid 90 days)

3.Wait + see how she adapts to the weather,culture ,your life in the Uk

4.Then book well in advance for a Fiancee Visa to marry in the Uk

Good Luck

1. Yes, I believe she's had one since Jan 2010 but never actually been anywhere.

2. Do we have to get an appointment? I thought in Thailand they have to apply online, but not sure about including the supporting documents in that case. And isn't the visa valid for "no longer than 6 months" and deferable for 3 months so we can have it start April rather than January?

4. Will marry in Thailand so her family can be present. I also think this is an important part of the reasons to return.

2. Will her lack of employment cause issues when looking at reasons to return to Thailand.

And on number 2 it's just been agreed that on return to her village home she'll take care of her sister-in-law's 2 month old baby as well as help her mum while waiting for me. Not exactly returning to her previous paid job in a supermarket but at least she's working and has ties to her family. I will be sponsering her but I guess that has already been assumed.

My own view is that she will have difficulties proving reason to return. The ECOs are aware that working the beach road is a wretched existence, fraught with dangers including violence both physical and sexual as well as drug abuse. And, logically, not a state that anyone would choose to return to.

Also, I think that proving the family ties may help - however, the family ties were still there previously whilst your Lass was working the beach road. I personally think your best chance is , as you say, for her to return home and, again as you say, be with her family. I would also suggest she get a job quick smart. And, I would personally approach teh application that way IE she is a Lass living at home and working in a supermarket or similar.

As I said, its a pathetic existence on the strip and if she is not there anymore, then why even go down that route? You can as simply say you met in Pattaya and leave it at that. She could have been there on a jolly. And , matey, keep in mind that the vast majority of visit visas are granted. But, again in my opinion, you run the risk of being in the minority unless you both take some wise steps.And also keep in mind that very few applicants are called in for an interview not just in Thailand biut worldwide.

The poster known as 7by7 faced a similar issue in that his now wife was initially refused a visa as she was unable to prove adaquate reason to return. You might want to PM him and ask the details on why the application failed.

All the best and good luck to you both. And I hope that both of you end up in a genuine, equal relationship. And, mate, be sure to think things through. A relationship based on one saving the other rarely succeeds - it leads, longterm, to resentment on one side and distrust on the other. We are all just human, afterall.

Edited by Saudi Sid

Yes, I believe she's had one since Jan 2010 but never actually been anywhere.

You shoudl also have an honest conversation about this. Its very unusual for Thais to apply for a passport with no intention of going anywhere. You should make sure there have been no previous visa refusals.

You shoudl also have an honest conversation about this. Its very unusual for Thais to apply for a passport with no intention of going anywhere. You should make sure there have been no previous visa refusals.

She's always wanted to go to Cambodia but there's always been a reason she ended up not going (mostly financial but sometimes friend can't go). She was planning a trip before I arrive in December but now she's stopped freelancing she doesn't have the money to go, and she won't ask me for it.

'Freelancing', aren't all prostitutes freelancers?

Also, just out of interest, do you know why she gace up the supermarket job and left her family to work the beach? IS there some kind of ongoing financial issue? YOu might want to consider that too given your earlier post about having limited funds for the 2 trips

'Freelancing', aren't all prostitutes freelancers?

Also, just out of interest, do you know why she gace up the supermarket job and left her family to work the beach? IS there some kind of ongoing financial issue? YOu might want to consider that too given your earlier post about having limited funds for the 2 trips

If its the same as Laos and Burma which I believe it is then yes they do get passes without a passport just with their i.d card alone. The problem is its only for short periods, my wife got 3-4 day pass in Laos last time when we went, she didn't have her passport at the time because it was at the British embassy getting a visa stamped in it.

Guess the word freelancer means she doesn't work for a mama in a go go bar or have a pimp in the form of a Thai husband or some such......

From the stiuation that op has outlined so far i.e lack of job, not much actual time spent together, how they met, no real reason for her to return and money being tight to name just a few points he has made this application is going to need the Max Clifford touch. I really would forget the idea of applying to try and get 5 months, how about 2 weeks, get married in that 2 weeks giving you a perfect reason as to why she may wish to stay longer, come back whenever and do the Thai wedding stuff then? She will not mind the fact you got married in England first as there is more than 1 part for most Thai weddings anyhow.

I got married 3 years ago yesterday on paper but didn't do the village boiled egg eating, rice and water throwing, dancing like a <deleted> bit until the following June. Its not like the uk it doesn't all have to be done at the same time.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

The problem comes down to money, after 3 trips to Thailand (December cost me more for the flight alone than it cost with the hotel in October), I simply can't afford to bring her over more than once, so I want her here as long as possible so that a) we're not apart for too long, cool.png she has time to meet my family and try to make friends, after all if she moves here when we're married she'll be stuck at home while I'm at work just the same, and c) the longer she's here the more she'll experience the culture and particularly the weather. Everyone likes somewhere after 2 weeks on holiday, but after 5 months? She'll know for sure if she can live here.

op you need to step back a bit and realalize how much this romance is going to cost you,its taken 49posts before you say the problem is all down to money you cant afford,there's the visa,air tkt[if she gets a visa] living exs,clothes,money to keep the family,you say she has to look after her sister in laws kid,how do you know its not hers,dont get carried away because it might bite you big time in 30yrs i have seen it all and it never ends,dont be blind to the negative posts as there is a lot of experiance coming from tv members who see and read your story every day.at the end of the day if she see's that your not the rich farang she thought you were she will be on her bike quicker than you think.so just take things easy and watch for the signs.good luck.
  • Like 1

I got married 3 years ago yesterday on paper but didn't do the village boiled egg eating, rice and water throwing, dancing like a <deleted> bit until the following June. Its not like the uk it doesn't all have to be done at the same time.

All good advice. And on the Thai wedding bit be warying of the hanging money. Tradition is such that Thai guests attach rolled up money to the string around the bride and grooms heads, hands etc. There were some oohs and ahhs when my yank boss attached some rolled up 100 dollar bills to my Mrs followed by howls and chuckles when he did the same to me. 'Ah, all in the spirit of things', I thought.

Then, after about three and all the wedding photos, my senile great aunt asks me, quietly, 'is it a farang tradition to have tampons hanging off your head'.

laugh.png

Edited by Saudi Sid

The problem comes down to money, after 3 trips to Thailand (December cost me more for the flight alone than it cost with the hotel in October), I simply can't afford to bring her over more than once, so I want her here as long as possible so that a) we're not apart for too long, cool.png she has time to meet my family and try to make friends, after all if she moves here when we're married she'll be stuck at home while I'm at work just the same, and c) the longer she's here the more she'll experience the culture and particularly the weather. Everyone likes somewhere after 2 weeks on holiday, but after 5 months? She'll know for sure if she can live here.

op you need to step back a bit and realalize how much this romance is going to cost you,its taken 49posts before you say the problem is all down to money you cant afford,there's the visa,air tkt[if she gets a visa] living exs,clothes,money to keep the family,you say she has to look after her sister in laws kid,how do you know its not hers,dont get carried away because it might bite you big time in 30yrs i have seen it all and it never ends,dont be blind to the negative posts as there is a lot of experiance coming from tv members who see and read your story every day.at the end of the day if she see's that your not the rich farang she thought you were she will be on her bike quicker than you think.so just take things easy and watch for the signs.good luck.

Good advice, no good telling him not to be blind to the 'negative' posts though as most have been deleted. The odds of somebody, who can barely afford to, marrying a beach road prostitute and it working out are slim in my opinion, although it's not impossible. They certainly cannot get married in the UK on a VV. If I were the officer I would refuse a visa on the evidence given. After all what is her reason to return? no job and a family constantly in need. Buyer beware!

Edited by sms747

From the stiuation that op has outlined so far i.e lack of job, not much actual time spent together, how they met, no real reason for her to return and money being tight to name just a few points he has made this application is going to need the Max Clifford touch. I really would forget the idea of applying to try and get 5 months, how about 2 weeks, get married in that 2 weeks giving you a perfect reason as to why she may wish to stay longer, come back whenever and do the Thai wedding stuff then? She will not mind the fact you got married in England first as there is more than 1 part for most Thai weddings anyhow.

That would be a breach of a visitor visa, it specifically bars you from getting married. To do that I'd have to apply for a Fiance visa with all the extra requirements that entails.

The lack of time together is being addressed and would be detailed on the visa application. By the time we apply I'll have been to see her in Thailand twice, and by the time she comes to the UK it'll be 3 times. As for work she's taking a job of sorts and it does show she plays her part in the family structure, but of course her income is going to come from me sponsering her.