Thai Gf First Visit To Uk, Lots Of Questions.

I'm going to be open and honest because I want some help, but I ask politely that you not judge me or pass on your negative opinions as I've made my decisions about our relationship and I'm happy with them.

Brief background. I went to Thailand in October to meet my girlfriend but got dumped early in the visit, so long story short through an English guy I met I was introduced to a freelance girl on Beach Road. We hit it off immediately to the extent that short time lasted well into the early hours of the morning while we talked and talked, even exchanging contact details before she went home. After a flop the next night with another girl I got back in touch with the first and we spent a week together doing everything, a real girlfriend experience. After returning to the UK we've video'd every night for 3-5 hours (baring in mind for her it's 1am when I get home, probably the best time to be out looking for customers, but she's not, she's in her apartment talking to me). We've declared ourselves boyfriend/girlfriend, I'm returning to see her over Christmas, she's given up what she does now and has handed in notice on her apartment, and she'll be returning home to her mum when I leave after this next trip. I'm due to go back for SongKran in April for my third visit, and it's when I return to the UK we're hoping she'll be able to come back with me.

There's so much more to the story but not the time or space to tell you everything, I just thought her former employment and the fact I'll have visited her 3 times is relevant information. I'll be meeting the parents in December and irrespective of what all the guys who have been burned will want to say to me, I honestly trust what she is telling me. Like I say, would take too long to give all the details. Oh, I have to add if all goes well on my next 2 visits and she gets to come to the UK to meet my family and wants to stay, we plan to marry in Thailand in October 2013 (key reason for her to return to Thailand) so her family can be present before then applying for a spousal visa.

So my question: What is the liklihood of her being granted a general visitor visa for a 5 month visit between April 22nd to October 1st or thereabouts? I'm aware we can defer the start of her visa, but are we asking a lot for her to come for so long? I can only aford to bring her once, so the longer she's here with me the less time she has to wait alone in Thailand for my return. I plan to return with her in October for the mariage.

Curious where this will go but as I say before, I would appreciate if responses are limited to those with experience getting a first visit visa.

Many thanks, Garry

PS: Have learned a lot from these very forums that will influence our plans to have a baby. Will definitely defer until we're married.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice: don't run before you can walk. Take it easy and don't be too rash in making a decision. You've known her for two months and already talking about marriage. Be careful, get to know her on your next couple of visits

My gf of two years wants to get married but i would prefer a baby first. Why would you defer a baby before marriage?

Can you show finances to support 100% for 5 months? We are not talking about 40 Pounds a week! Can you show that she will go back and has something to go back to?

One thing I can say that if you get married you better have a steady job in the UK with at least 18,600 a year and independant family housing. Also, UK benefits will not really count towards the income and will probably count against you.

If not, say bye to the marriage and find a UK girl - even if you hate her! This way, at least you can be together!

Welcome to messed up Britain today!

And with regards to the visa, so long as you can provide evidence of; where she will stay, evidence you can financially support her during her visit and evidence of your relationship and a reason for return (youve already mentioned marriage), I think a visa will be granted.

My advice: don't run before you can walk. Take it easy and don't be too rash in making a decision. You've known her for two months and already talking about marriage. Be careful, get to know her on your next couple of visits

My gf of two years wants to get married but i would prefer a baby first. Why would you defer a baby before marriage?

I understand the be careful advice and yes I guess it all looks too fast this early in the relationship. But I've got my head screwed on, it's okay having these dreams and goals to work towards but I fully understand every step depends on how the last one went. If meeting her family this trip goes well we'll start looking properly at the visa application and I'll book the third trip. If that goes well and she does come back with me to the UK we'll see how she gets on and if she'll like it here, and only if I see a future will we actually get married (nothing is booked but I have thought long and hard about the timeline).

As for the baby I read so many things about legal rights if you're not married to the baby's mother, just think it would be easier if we plan to marry anyway to have kids later. Also if she gets pregnant during my next visit and things don't actually work out she'll be in a mess and I wouldn't want that for either of us.

Can you show finances to support 100% for 5 months? We are not talking about 40 Pounds a week! Can you show that she will go back and has something to go back to?

One thing I can say that if you get married you better have a steady job in the UK with at least 18,600 a year and independant family housing.

I owe £30,000 on my mortgage and earn the same from a job I've been in for the last 5 years so yes, I can afford to support her for the visit and easily qualify for the income requirements.

One thing I can say that if you get married you better have a steady job in the UK with at least 18,600 a year and independant family housing.

I owe £30,000 on my mortgage and earn the same from a job I've been in for the last 5 years so yes, I can afford to support her for the visit and easily qualify for the income requirements.

Then, what are you waiting for?

Go to the UKBA website, it explains how to apply and then pay the 70ish pounds and wait for visit visa!

You might also want to look into fiance visas.

And as said, make sure you can PROVE she will return.

Edited by AngryParent

Then, what are you waiting for?

Go to the UKBA website, it explains how to apply and then pay the 70ish pounds and wait for visit visa!

You might also want to look into fiance visas.

I want to marry in Thailand so her family can be present, so ruled out the Fiance visa as this requires we marry in the UK during her visit so they would miss out, and there are also additional visa requirements (I believe) like the English test which I've learnt is quicker, easier and cheaper to take in the UK when she visits. It also gives me longer to make sure it's the right thing to do.

What am I waiting for? I wish to guage general opinion from people that tried to get long visa, did they generally suceed or fail? Especially given her background and lack of employment, will the UKBA really believe she'll return.

I say go for it .

I met my wife on day 1 of my first holiday to thailand in a bar in Bangkok.

Got married 3 months later and brought her home.

Sure she can be a real pain in the ass at times but its been 8 years and still together with 3 kids.

Lifes too short just do it, if it goes tits up theres always another.

I would also say go for it. It will give you chance to get to know her and if she even likes England.

You only live once mate.

The only advice is do it right, if your unsure just ask or if your not that good with the paperwork side ask an agent.

I would also say go for it. It will give you chance to get to know her and if she even likes England.

You only live once mate.

The only advice is do it right, if your unsure just ask or if your not that good with the paperwork side ask an agent.

And the opposite side of the story would be you only live once, so live it wisely.

And as for children...........don't you think it would be wise to find out if she drives you up the wall first?

• Like 2

I have Sid blocked but I'm going to guess that he said something negative and probably condescending. Just do what makes you happy because tomorrow you might be dead ;)

Get those papers in and sorted, spend some time together and plan your life the best you can.

Visa plus,thaivisa and 7by7 are the guys to talk with they have all helped me on more than one occasion.

Good luck

Gary,

For the visit VIsa one of the most important things you (or she) needs to show is on balance of probability will she return to Thailand? If she's not working and has no income then this could prove difficult, getting a job in the meantime may be a good idea as you say she has moved back home, not sure if she's working. A letter from the company she works for would be a good thing to submit to prove she has a job to come back to.

You say you can support her on the visit so you will need to prove that, also keep as much evidence as you can of your visit, photo's, hotel bookings (book them in both names).

My wife and I went to Cambodia and Malaysia on holiday together, not too expensive to do from Thailand, we kept flight tickets, hotel bookings etc and submitted them when we applied for her first visit visa and im sure it would only strengthen the application as it shows your in a relationship, it seemed to work for us.

My wife has been living in the UK for 2 1/2 years now and has UK residency (ILR) next step for her is British Citizenship next year. We married in Thailand first an applied for Spouse settlement, she had a couple of visit's to the UK before she came to settle.

I remember years ago having big plans and dreams that we would live together in the UK and you know what, if you want it go out and get it...I have never been happier...

Oh and this website was my bible, god knows how I would have done it without.

Go for it, just make sure to tick all the boxes take time to research and when you submit anything to UKBA make sure it's spot on.

All the best

Andy

• Like 2

You have been open and honest about how you met your girlfriend, that is to be admired, there have been some good answers to your question without posters taking the mickey and criticising you, that is good.

There has been some very good words of advice here, including take a step back, go for it and as Saudi Sid has advised "you only live once, so live it wisely".

You seem to have made your mind up, so I will attempt to give you some food for thought, it's up to you what you decide to do.

You met your girlfriend on the rebound and she was working as a prostitute on Beach Road, nothing wrong with being a prostitute, prostitutes are real people and have to earn money to survive like everybody else, was this her only source of funds or was she doing doing it to supplement her income?

You say that she talks to you via a video link when she could be out working, does that mean she has given up this job, if so how does she live?

OK, you now want to help her apply for a visa to visit you in the UK, nothing wrong with that, it's not unreasonable that a couple in a long distance relationship would want to visit each others countries to get to know each other better and to get an understanding of the respective countries, you have visited her in Thailand, once, and now it's time to reciprocate.

So lets talk about the visa application, I assume you have read the advice that 7by7 has given in his link, if not I would strongly advise you to do so.

The application process is pretty straight forward, the applicant, your girlfriend, has to convince the ECO, Entry Clearance Officer who is the person who considers the application, that the visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant will return home, or at least leave the UK at the conclusion of the visit.

So put yourself in the shoes of the ECO, your girlfriend wants to visit the UK for five months, that's one heck of a holiday and will ring alarm bells as they will know that very few people are able to take that sort of holiday, the ECO will be looking deeper at the application. She plans to visit you in April, by which time you will have known each other for six months. You are working, so what would she do with herself all day? I don't expect that you intend to take five months off work, remember a visit visa is designed for use by tourists.

You are going to sponsor her I assume, so you will need to provide evidence that you can afford to do so, from what you have said I don't believe that will be a problem. You will need to say why you are sponsoring her, and this is where you provide evidence of your relationship.

As others have alluded to the biggest problem your girlfriend will face is the reason to return, the ECO will see a young woman of working age wanting to go and visit her boyfriend she has known for six months for an extended holiday. If she does work, they will know that few, if any, employers will give their staff a five month holiday. If she doesn't work they will want to know how she supports herself, and what she has to come back to.

Anyway I have just given you some food for thought, you have come to the right place for advice, feel free to come back if you need any specific advice, which I'm sure will be forthcoming.

Good luck to you both.

• Like 1

Let her come over for a holiday in between yours, just for a couple of weeks, see if she likes it, you have more probability getting a visa for a shorter holiday than 5 months.

Then as others have said, if she feels it is okay for her and she can stay at home in England whilst you are at work, then take the next step.

Small steps at a time. And the best of luck to you.

• Like 1

My advice for what its worth would be apply for a tourist visa for say a 10 day or 2 week holiday and if you get the visa they stamp you with 6 months anyhow, so she can stay for 5 months if you both want. I have done this with my wife in the past and as long as she doesn't overstay it presents no problems when getting the next visa.

I must add though when she applied for the tourist visa we did only intend to stay 2 weeks, but my uncle got sick and died and there was loads of stuff to sort out. Hence staying 5 months not the 2 weeks we expected.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Probably present no problems with the next visa application is more accurate!

If in her application she says she intends to stay for 2 weeks and then stays for 5 months this would not be breaking any rules; as long as she does not stay beyond the expiry date of the visa.

However, doing so can damage her credibility in the eyes of the ECOs; so in any subsequent visa application she will have to explain why she stayed longer than she originally stated and how she was able to do so.

Probably present no problems with the next visa application is more accurate!

If in her application she says she intends to stay for 2 weeks and then stays for 5 months this would not be breaking any rules; as long as she does not stay beyond the expiry date of the visa.

However, doing so can damage her credibility in the eyes of the ECOs; so in any subsequent visa application she will have to explain why she stayed longer than she originally stated and how she was able to do so.

Didn't present no problems would be more accurate as we have been back 3 times since and not once been asked why we extended the first trip.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Didn't present any problems for you; probably wont present problems for others; but could.

Especially if the longer stay is not explained.

I see that you have edited your original post after my reply to give the reason for her staying longer than intended; did she mention this on her next application?

Even if not, it is, obviously, a lot easier for the wife of a British citizen who lives with her in Thailand to obtain a UK visit visa than it is for the girlfriend of someone who lives in the UK.

Edited by 7by7

Didn't present any problems for you; probably wont present problems for others; but could.

Especially if the longer stay is not explained.

I see that you have edited your original post after my reply to give the reason for her staying longer than intended; did she mention this on her next application?

Yes I edited my post as I thought it best to fully explain how I came to this conclusion. No she has never been asked on any application after.

@ JeremyBowskill

Didn't present any problems in your case, but I'm aware that some people have had problems in the past.

7by7 is correct in saying that you are doing nothing illegal if you apply for entry clearance to visit the UK for two weeks or so, are issued with a six month visa, and then stay for the full length.

Plans can and do change, but extending a stay by months could be regarded as a material change and could lead to the passenger being refused entry, despite the fact they have a visa.

The IO at the Port of Entry may, or may not, ask the passenger for the duration of the intended stay and for sight of return tickets, if the answer and tickets are not the same as the application, and they do have access to the original application, they could lead themselves open to further scrutiny.

Again this course of action could jeopardise further application, you, and some people I know have got away with it, but I know others that haven't.

Indeed, a change of plans once in the UK is one thing, deliberately giving false information on a visa application is another, and a very foolish thing to do.

If someone does give false information in their application and this is discovered then not only could they, as theoldgit says, be refused entry by an IO at their port of entry to the UK, they could also be banned from visiting the UK for up to 10 years!

If you book with say Eva air you can change your ticket for free so that wouldn't be an issue return dates. The chances are though if o.p asks for 5 months in my opinion I would guess the odds are not in his favour, but that is just my opinion. My situation is a little different to o.p's as we are married, have a business here, have a kid and both own property in Thailand so maybe they can see when we do go to England we are actually tourists.

If I get a non immigrant O visa to come to Thailand for my 2 weeks holiday but when I get here enjoy being out of the cold and rain so much that I decide to utilise the full 90 days no one cares, why should we be so over protective of broken Britain? We don't own 2 thirds of the gobe anymore get over it.

If I get a non immigrant O visa to come to Thailand for my 2 weeks holiday but when I get here enjoy being out of the cold and rain so much that I decide to utilise the full 90 days no one cares, why should we be so over protective of broken Britain? We don't own 2 thirds of the gobe anymore get over it.

There is nothing to get over, we discussing UK Immigration Rules, not Thai Immigration.

Wasn't directed at you it was more a statement about our backward immigration system trying to protect something that no longer exists.

O.p can do whatever he wants but if it were me I would book for a period which is more likely to be granted, 2 weeks in England for a Thai with no som tam may well be enough........

If you book with say Eva air you can change your ticket for free so that wouldn't be an issue return dates.

More lies.

In the next application the ECO will be able to see how long she was out of Thailand for anyway by the Thai exit and entry stamps in her passport. Even though the UK doesn't routinely stamp passports on exit, the lack of any other stamps will show where she had been whilst out of Thailand. So this could still cause problems if not explained.

My situation is a little different to o.p's as we are married, have a business here, have a kid and both own property in Thailand so maybe they can see when we do go to England we are actually tourists.

Indeed, as I said earlier; it is, obviously, a lot easier for the wife of a British citizen who lives with her in Thailand to obtain a UK visit visa than it is for the girlfriend of someone who lives in the UK.

What on earth does the end of the British empire have to do with anything?rolleyes.gif

Illegal immigration into Thailand by people from Western countries is not a big problem; unlike illegal immigration into Western countries by people from, for example, S.E. Asia.

Thailand does have an illegal immigration problem though; try doing as you suggest if you were, for example, Burmese; assuming you could get a visa in the first place!

You comments do, though, show a big difference between the UK and Thailand. In Thailand a visitor could only stay 90 days, in the UK they can stay 6 months!

There are other big differences as well. Even under the new rules, your wife could get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK after living there for 5 years. She, and you, will only need to make one application to remain during that time after 2.5 years in the UK.

Bit different from 90 day reporting British and other Westerners have to do in Thailand! How long do you need to live in Thailand before you can get PR?

Once she has ILR she can easily obtain British citizenship.

How long will you need to live in Thailand for before you can get Thai citizenship? Assuming the Thai government thinks you're good enough!

Edit:

Sorry, OG; took me too long to type this. Will stick to the topic in future.

Edited by 7by7

If you book with say Eva air you can change your ticket for free so that wouldn't be an issue return dates.

More lies.

In the next application the ECO will be able to see how long she was out of Thailand for anyway by the Thai exit and entry stamps in her passport. Even though the UK doesn't routinely stamp passports on exit, the lack of any other stamps will show where she had been whilst out of Thailand. So this could still cause problems if not explained.

My situation is a little different to o.p's as we are married, have a business here, have a kid and both own property in Thailand so maybe they can see when we do go to England we are actually tourists.

Indeed, as I said earlier; it is, obviously, a lot easier for the wife of a British citizen who lives with her in Thailand to obtain a UK visit visa than it is for the girlfriend of someone who lives in the UK.

What on earth does the end of the British empire have to do with anything?rolleyes.gif

Illegal immigration into Thailand by people from Western countries is not a big problem; unlike illegal immigration into Western countries by people from, for example, S.E. Asia.

Thailand does have an illegal immigration problem though; try doing as you suggest if you were, for example, Burmese; assuming you could get a visa in the first place!

You comments do, though, show a big difference between the UK and Thailand. In Thailand a visitor could only stay 90 days, in the UK they can stay 6 months!

There are other big differences as well. Even under the new rules, your wife could get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK after living there for 5 years. She, and you, will only need to make one application to remain during that time after 2.5 years in the UK.

Bit different from 90 day reporting British and other Westerners have to do in Thailand! How long do you need to live in Thailand before you can get PR?

Once she has ILR she can easily obtain British citizenship.

How long will you need to live in Thailand for before you can get Thai citizenship? Assuming the Thai government thinks you're good enough!

Edit:

Sorry, OG; took me too long to type this. Will stick to the topic in future.

I never said that Thai immigration had it right and Britain wrong, I simply pointed out that if I choose to stay longer than I first intended in Thailand nobody cares and I feel that the same should apply both ways. As for citezenship who in hell would want it? I have lived and been married both here and in Japan and was offered Japanese citezenship, can't see why I or anyone would ever want citezenship to another country unless you were from a warzone or something............

anyway good luck o.p I hope you get what you want.

Like I and others have said, first start with a two week visit, see if she likes the place, then go for a longer time.

If she applies for a 2 week stay now, and the Immigration officer at Heathrow (or wherever she flies into) asks her how long she will stay and she says five months, he/she can call up her application in front of him and then he/she could, believing that your GF is trying somehow to get around the correct rules and has also lied on her application, then refuse entry. (this might never happen, but it could).

This would also not look good for future applications, and could jeopardize your relationship as you might have to do the traveling to see each other in the future.