Thailand Could Be Major E-Learning Hub In Region

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Before we promote our online programmes to open up the Asean market, we must ensure our quality first as well as enhance our English language to be acceptable among other countries that use English, otherwise we will fail," Kamjorn said.

Takes only ten more years, maybe more.

Here we go again. Nobody will fail, it's Thailand.--w00t.gif

Why do people insist on stating nobody fails in Thailand? Complete rubbish. Anyone associated with a good University here will appreciate that many students do unfortunately fail and have to retake exams. Some simply cannot pass which is always sad.

I know from experience that some European universities have lower standards and make it almost impossible to fail.

eLearning has major advantages. The most important being the subject matter would be unopinionated (by the lecturer) and of course brighter students can move through the course at their own pace. It would also allow those wanting a degree the opportunity to achieve rather than rich daddy sending his hi-so child to Uni to get a degree when the child has no interest whatsoever. I took a class recently at a Thai Uni and one of the students walked in - an hour late, dropped her head on the desk and proceeded to sleep. I woke her and told her to leave if she had no interest and not to disrespect my other students or me. This is the typical example of attitude of Thai kids who care not about a degree but are filling in time because their parents are paying for it. She no doubt will receive the paper with the photo of the royal hand out to show the relatives but be completely clueless of the subject. eLearning will remove that factor as long as the examinations are not tainted.

If you teach her, then I assume you are in a position to prevent her from passing. Or do you criticise the system then follow it?

eLearning will not remove any such factors - because it only works for those who are motivated to use it effectively 9just as with face-to-face teaching. Assignments (unless designed to avoid it) could be downloaded from the internet, just as with face-to-face teaching (unless you have effective anti-plagiarism software, if such exists) and there is no reason to believe that conventional exams will not be conducted in any other way than they are at present. The one main advantage is that online discussions can be more easily monitored (and if necessary or desirable, assessed - although there is no guarantee that the student is actually doing the writing, even with a video link up) than face-to-face ones because they are written and can be recorded).

I am greatly in favour of eLearning and was once a pioneer at my university in London, but it is not a panacea, as it seems to be portrayed in this article, and could easily prove detrimental if poorly presented in an unsuitable environment. The main general advantage is the 'any place. any time' distance/pt scenario, enabling students to study a web-based course if they cannot attend a face-to-face one.

Yes - anti-plagiarism software does exist, is used and is effective. Most tutors will also spot differences in writing style from the norm where plagiarism is used.

eLearning can be a good part of the learning mix and I'm sure will grow in importance.

Judging my most of the comments I don't think most of you don't understand what e-learning is.This is a great initiative that works well. It will become the norm pretty soon, so get used to it.

I think you're right. My 6 year old uses an iPad and has eLearning modules on English and Maths. She and her classmates really enjoy this, even the homework. This is in addition to traditional class based teaching. I'm sure this will be one of the big development in education at all levels. Some professional bodies in the UK now offer eLearning as an oprtion for studying for their professional level exams.

Who (except Thai education officials) on this planet would use the words education and Thailand in the same sentence?

Is this funny idea another brainchild of the TAT? The procedure: come here, sign in, leave your money at the counter and fly out- seems quite familiar.

In my opinion a Thai degree ranks next to those of the University of Kampala, University of Port-au-Prince (not Princeton!). Not to mention the famous University of Khao San Road, or even better- University of Wikipedia!

Yes - anti-plagiarism software does exist, is used and is effective. Most tutors will also spot differences in writing style from the norm where plagiarism is used.

eLearning can be a good part of the learning mix and I'm sure will grow in importance.

I know that plagiarism software exists - I've published evaluations of it - but there are ways of using, abusing and overrelying on it. It is only one of many tools that can be used to get students to avoid plagiarism and plagiarism detection software is really only a last resort. However, when on web-based courses have to submit coursework electronically, it is very tempting for tutors to simply pass the work en mass through PDS and call it quits, without bothering or able to compare writing styles of the many students involved (international web-based courses also means many students who tutors are not previously familiar with). Some free PDS software is easy to fool - others are subscription and are more difficult, but then what about getting mates to do the work? Or even paid essay-writing web sites (cheat sites) - there are hundreds around the world where ex- or current academics write tailor-made assignments for cash. Students can get around PDS, especially rich kids, one way or another.

• Like 1

Their own telecommunication network departments can't even acquire 3G licenses, free wifi with easy procedures, nor are several schools sufficient enought o provide any form of well functioning IT hardwares, CPU's, internet access, but worst of all,...

... this country lacks proper investment in TELECOM and BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE FOR CENTURIES NOW

And the Thai ministries want to promote this as a HUB of E-LEARNING??????

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Their own telecommunication network departments can't even acquire 3G licenses, free wifi with easy procedures, nor are several schools sufficient enought o provide any form of well functioning IT hardwares, CPU's, internet access, but worst of all,...

... this country lacks proper investment in TELECOM and BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE FOR CENTURIES NOW

And the Thai ministries want to promote this as a HUB of E-LEARNING??????

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

For centuries? Telecom and Broadband infrastructure? You mean like Holland had free wifi in 1763? Canada a mobile phone system in 1812? Swaziland a sparkling satellite system in 1902?

Yes, centuries. May I?: cheesy.gif